Bendis?

Who is Bendis and why does everyone hate him?

I'm fairly new to comics, having only read the Agent Venom comics and whenever anything Spider Man is talked about I always hear the name Bendis and how he ruins.
What has he done?

(Pic unrelated. Only Sup Forums thing on my phone.)

He's a marvel writer.
He used to be pretty good on street level books, but I dunno if we can claim he's good on those now. He's absolute garbage on team books due to having like 2-3 different character types. Has an annoying way of writing character interactions that people call bendisspeak. Has ruined quite a few characters.

As for what he's done, I can't list all the shit stuff he's written, especially in the last few years.

oh, Bendis?

you're about to get a thread full of Bendis-speak responses that may help you understand

Will hearing Bendis speak in this thread make him understand Bendis speak?

Real answer, Brian Michael Bendis can on occasion write good stories, but usually winds up writing circular dialogue and killing off beloved characters for reasons that make no sense in the plot, but make perfect sense if you know who bendis waifus.

Bendis is a big-time Marvel guy, he created a lot of characters and events, and he did things with older characters like Daredevil which are also really good.

People get mad because "made muh Iceman gay" "made muh Spidey a minority" "made muh Guardians of the Galaxy humorous" etc

This, by you, is Bendis speak?

Bendis speak?
This is Bendis speak?

That? Bendis speak?

That?

No. That's not how Bendis writes his dialogue.

Actually, pic is related.

Flash Thompson (Agent Venom) picked up a considerable following during his own series.

Then Bendis shot him into outer space with the Guardians, and butchered him horribly (along with the rest of the Guardians, by the way) disregarding years of characterization and arcs that the readers were familiar with, but Bendis either ignored or was unaware of.

It's typical. He latches onto an established story, refuses to do his homework, writes incoherent trash, and expects people to like it anyway.

The worst part is that he's got his mitts in, easily, a fifth of Marvels entire publishing lineup, and he leaves continuity errors and plot holes behind him like the wake of a fucking speedboat.

In regards to Venom specifically (and someone correct me if I'm wrong here and he's not responsible for some of this) he made Agent Venom fuck off to space and join the Guardians. And then it turned out the symbiote is actually from a planet of space knights and it gets purified into becoming a proper good space knight. That especially bothered a lot of people since it takes away a lot of what makes the symbiote and Flash's relationship interesting; the fact that he's a good guy who has to deal with working together with a very dangerous lifeform. More recently though this has started to be repaired as the symbiote has been getting unstable again.

he is like the evil Geoff Johns

ben-dis !

To add to this, he doesn't bother to keep up with continuity at all, and Marvel editors don't either. So you get instances where his books directly contradict themselves from one issue to the next. A prime example is his Secret Wars Old Man Logan book where Wolvie knows about the Thors (Doom's police for his new world) in the first issue, but has no idea about them in issue 2. Also, I think he's responsible for having a polar bear be at the South Pole.

It's not even good humorous. What the fuck are you on?

Now if only they can give him back one of his better Armour designs (either the smooth, earlier appearance, or the crustacean-esque later one) from before Bendis fucked his shit up.

AvX is garbage though.

Also he sucks at writing miles. Litterally anyone who has gotten a chance to write miles has done a better Job than bendis.

Brian Michael Bendis is a writer who, for the past decade or so, has been one of the primary architects of the 616 and Ultimate Marvel Universes. He began writing fairly small (usually crime-centered) indie comics like Goldfish, Jinx, and Torso before being hired by Marvel to write the new modernized take on Spiderman, "Ultimate Spiderman." Ultimate Spiderman is one of my personal favorite interpretations of the Spiderman character of all time and it ran for nine years with Bendis writing it. At this early point in Bendis' career he also began writing Marvel's Daredevil, which he wrote for about five years.

These two comics were legitimately great and they were so well-received that it basically convinced Marvel to give Bendis the reigns to several large flagship titles like "New Avengers" as well as several large scale "event" titles like "Secret Wars" and "Seige." This is were the hate for Bendis starts to come in. He can't write large ensemble team books and he has a very particular way of writing dialogue that can work for high school characters like Peter Parker or street-level characters like Daredevil, but that sounds really stupid when spoken by all members of the Avengers. He also tends to completely disregard continuity and established characters, instead just doing whatever the fuck he wants and treating the Marvel universe like his personal plaything. He has written some truly godawful comics like "Age of Ultron" and "All New X-men."

Recently Bendis has become even more reviled by Marvel fans for very heavily pushing his PC agenda in comics. He killed Ultimate Spiderman and replaced him with Miles Morales (who I actually don't mind), he made Iceman gay (a legitimately retarded and borderline offensive change), and it was recently announced that he would replacing Tony Stark with some hip black chick as Iron Man (a frustratingly blatant attempt to pander to SJWs).

I hope this has been helpful.

Yeah, really hoping he goes back to the old look once he gets back to Earth. His Space Knight design is cool enough, but I just don't like it as a Venom design.

Bendis is a writer at Marvel OP. He wrote some amazing comics a while ago like Ultimate Spider-Man and Daredevil, sadly the quality of his work has dropped dramatically, he is responsible for the the current Guardians of the Galaxy comics, as well as the current Civil War 2 event. All in all, he's a writer who shouldn't have been in Marvel's spotlight for so long because he's lost steam and can't write well any longer. Just like Slott.

Space Knight does suck. I bought three issues of it and I can't be added to pop open #3. They just took a lot from what I remember of Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy by Douglass Adams.

I did notice more minorities in comics. I'm receptive to changes, but why is a female teen Iron Man, when she's not even an adukt, or well, a man.

I know Rescue is female Iron Man, couldn't they just call her Rescue? Does Rescue get written any more?

He looks like The Thing, but... worse. I can't pinpoint why. If they want him to be bulky, do it Eddy style.

>but why is a female teen Iron Man, when she's not even an adukt, or well, a man.

SHe'll probably have inhuman powers that gave her super intelligence. GOTTA SELL THEM INHUMANS.

>Does Rescue get written any more?
No, some reason Marvel doesn't want to use their backlog of minority characters.

>No, some reason Marvel doesn't want to use their backlog of minority characters.

that would require their writers read old stories and be familiar with continuity so of course it won't happen

I know Valkeryie exists because she pops up before Circle of Four. Why no give her more love?

Would you mind giving me reads? I got a hold of the last moon knight run and it's pretty good.

Personally I don't mind making more minority characters or changing established characters if its done tastefully. Making X-23 the new Wolverine is a great example of a well-done change to a per-existing character. I also don't mind Falcon being the new Cap. But Bendis always does these things so blatantly and with such disrespect to the original character. Iceman just being gay for more or less no reason is just terrible. Especially given the way it was handled in the context of the issue. And I'm pretty sure no one likes this new black chick he's pushing. I tried to read an issue that featured her and it was just so uninteresting and uninspired that I couldn't get through the more than one page of her flying around.

What are you talking about we all agree that Miles have potential but Bendis dosen't know how to write, every other person who use Miles make him at least likable

It's an obvious bait, user.
Look at him. He treats events, especially written by Bendis, as if they're something good. That should tip you off.

At most, Valkeryie would get a 12 issue mini.

>bendis?

>At most, Valkeryie would get a 12 issue mini.
That reminds me about the Journey into Mystery with Sif.
I'm still fucking mad.
>good female-led book by a good female writer
>no one cares
>Kate Leth's Hellcat
>will probably go on and on and on and maybe have good sales

I haven't read any recent Marvel stuff, what is "Bendisspeak"?

let's not compare Slott to Bendis at least Slott have good ideas, but he dosen't execute them well

"Bendisspeak?"

bendisspeak is when the characters talk in fucking circles

someone post that alias page, 'you know carol danvers?' or whatever it was.

this is bendis speak. note the multiple repeated phrases and the panels being damn near carbon copies to be able to fit this shit on a page.

this is the truth. someone needs to be miles writer, but bendis isnt letting his child go

So this is what comics have come to, then?

It's sad that this comic was still somehow better than the show based on it.

Metal Gear?!

That's flavorless. Were they gonna miss a deadline as their justification?

>Metal Gear Solid with Bendisspeak

bendis always writes like that, so no.

How much does he get paid? Cause I could for sure do this. Like damn dude, this looks fucking easy.

He is one of Marvel's top tier writers, he's got like 5 ongoings right now.

What gets me is that usually those lazy copy pasted panels are the artist not bothering to make it visually interesting but literally every damn book he writes has it like that. It has to be in his scripts that he's telling them to copy and paste the panels rather than redrawing them. It's madness.

Yea, I mean considering the effort that seems to have gone into that page, I could pop out 5 series of that. Ez monies.

Ewing brought Night Trasher back and Spencer brought back Rage as well so some writers do try to expand characters.

>Please don't say west coast
But best coast Avengers was the greatest Avengers team.

etc

Here's a question for y'all - what's the difference between Slott and Bendis? I see both of them reviled on Sup Forums for writing shit books, and yet Slott doesn't get Slott-Speak, for instance. What's the difference?

Slott only ruined one franchise

Slott doesn't HAVE a Slott-speak. His books are bad for other reasons, more general throughout the book reasons, not specifically Bendis-speak. So in that sense, Slott > Bendis but that doesn't mean Slott is good.

He ruined a perfectly good character

He turned a hardened soldier with a great story into a shitty kid friendly space messiah

I miss Rememder

Could you elaborate on these "other reasons"? If Continuity/Bendis-Speak are the Bane of Bendis. what are the Signs of Slott?

Someone dumped all issues last week, it gets better.

Poorly executed ideas, let me give an example

- Superior Spider-man
Peter is replaced by Doc Ock in Pete's body -> SpOck. He tries to be a hero because he has Peter's memories and suffering.

But Doc Ock's writing is literally like "Doc Ock", calling people oafs, belittling people etc. etc. Almost nobody notices it (except Pete's ex) until he kills someone after which the avengers have him tested which he somehow outsmarts and then he leaves the avengers and nobody bothers him for mostly the rest of the book.

He basically does everything better than Peter keeping the city safe except the Goblin somehow made it so his surveillance systems can't pick up anything with a green goblin on it and he doesn't notice this for a solid 5 months.

>Almost nobody notices it (except Pete's ex) until he kills someone after which the avengers have him tested which he somehow outsmarts and then he leaves the avengers and nobody bothers him for mostly the rest of the book.
The bright side of his closest friends and families not being smart enough to notice he's a completely different person was the awesome moment when the Goblin immediately recognizes the real Spidey when he gets back.

Bendis was my first avengers run, and I actually really like some of the stuff he did with secret invasion and dark reign
But even I can see that almost every other writer can execute his ideas better then he can

I really liked some parts of his X-men too, the really powerful OC was honestly pretty cool imo, but ultimately it feels like he shit the bed on so many other things
I skipped that last 10 issue Gauardians crossover becuase I just didn't care

Overall I'd say that he can write fantastic scenes and has great ideas, but is often disappointing anyway, in dialogue and especially if you know about the history of the characters beforehand (because he doesn't)

I did love that moment.

this comes to mind

>some parts of his X-men too, the really powerful OC was honestly pretty cool imo
You liked that god awful nonsense? You actually liked the Will of Xavier?

>"made muh Guardians of the Galaxy humorous"

More like he made them generic. Even the movie incarnation the book wants to pattern itself off of was humorous, but also had a ton of potential as essentially a new IP. Bendis has turned them into yet another superhero team.

I've read Ultimate Spider-Man (it was actually my first comic book) and I don't see how it's that great.

Occasionally humour works and some stories are ok, but I just don't see any spectacular or amazing stuff there. My main problem is that Peter never grows up as a character (and then he dies).
Some interesting ideas, like having Venom-Brock as Peter childhood friend or JJ working with Spider Man, while knowing his secret identity are wasted and ruined.
He could have at least made Gwen-clon-Carnage to become superhero and Peter's ally.

I guess Spider-Woman was ok, before Bendis just stopped caring (and writing) about her.

The best thing about Ultimate Spider Man was that video game (its story was better than almost entirety of Ultimate Marvel Universe), but I don't think Bendis wrote it.

Why wouldn't I be mad about iceman suddenly becoming gay, it flies into the face of decades of character development

Man, how utterly amazing could Alias have been under a different writer? The fact it's still one of my favorites series and the Netflix show was so well received shows there is something special there that even Bendispeak and the copy-paste button couldn't doom.

It's a good time to only really enjoy niche series. I like Punisher, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Jubilee and X-23, Scarlet Spider and Spider-Girl.

The former three are going strong, and have Netflix shows either out or coming out. Jubilee has been shelved but also left alone due to it, Laura is now Wolverine for the time being, and as much of a mess as it is, Spider-Verse re-introduced Mayday and Kaine.

Honestly, I don't give a shit about all this Whor nonsense, or black teen girl Iron Man, black teen Spider-Man, the ending of the F4, the pushing of the Inhumans, ect. It barely touches the areas I'm personally interested in.

It's a novel feeling when your fandoms not getting as much exposure as some is actually what saves them, or their niche nature what makes them become popular for creative teams.

Flash Thompson (Agent Venom) picked up a considerable following during his own series.

Then Bendis shot him into outer space with the Guardians, and butchered him horribly (along with the rest of the Guardians, by the way) disregarding years of characterization and arcs that the readers were familiar with, but Bendis either ignored or was unaware of.

THANK YOU. Someone who feels my pain.