Old South Park vs New South Park

I've recently rewatched all of south park from the beginning and it was really interesting to see the progression from the zany simplicity of the early seasons to the straight from the headlines high concept newer episodes
After watching it through, it seems like the transition was seasons 7 and 8. I have a lot of sentimentality for many of the older episodes but find a lot of the new episodes more "laugh out loud" funny
What does Sup Forums think?
Is old South Park better or is new South Park better?
And when did South Park peak?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/oDaQMBqqSE0
youtu.be/rqdxHwaxrNM
youtube.com/watch?v=7Cr6ee0Pkfw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

it's still a good show but the first ever south park short is better than any of the episodes on tv. it became too mainstream for it's own good. still funny though, nevertheless

i don't watch south park because i can't stand seth macfarlane

I've unironically loved every season except this last one. Anytime I pick a favorite season, I end up remembering episodes from other seasons that I also love and flipflopping.

they jumped the shark last season with their terrible garrison trump strawman and picked a political side which completely backfired and ruined the entire season

doenst help that the jew is a oil driller and the white guy has a used up wife with a black son

This.
The most recent season started out very promising but Matt and Trey backed themselves into a corner trying to make it episodic while still tackling current events

I think the only part that made me cringe was when he said that he's losing in the polls, and when he loses he'll have an excuse to say it's rigged. Wew, they got that totally wrong didn't they.

But anyway, I like NEWER South Park, but not the last two seasons.

>OMG SHIT DUN CHANGED OVA TIME GAIS!!

underage &b

South Park peaked at season 2
Easily the most consistent season with wall to wall classic episodes

Recent seasons are unwatchable

spotted the trumpf voter!
kek. u a poorfag.

Last season wasn't very good but I still enjoy the show.

not even american but your entire media jumped the shark in the last election

>that clip from Free Hat where they show an ironic remastered version of South Park as a joke ("every frame has so much going on" "computer animation is better in every way" etc), and it looks exactly like new South Park

>not the last two seasons
I'll grant you that 20 was awful, but 19 had a lot to love. Tweek x Craig was probably the season's highlight, but there were other great moments. The Yelping episode, or Safe Space, for example.
>Oh-okay. if you can just speak into the voice decoder and say "I'm not giving anything to the hungry kids."

This.
The political situation is more absurd than anything writers could come up with.
The jokes are writing themselves and it's a bad thing
Trump has become a crutch that all comedy television is leaning on way too hard. I'm so sick of Trump jokes. It's literally not funny anymore

I agree with this, user.

There was so much more creativity in the older episodes like Korn's Groovy Pirate Ghost Mystery, it feels like the characters affect too much of the world around them these days whereas the show worked better when it was more confined to the town.

Season 19 was good mostly great episodes
They just didn't know how to end it
It think it kind of gets thrown under the bus through association with season 20

>Season 1
Completely different entity, zero social commentary, just about kids fucking around in a town with supernatural phenomena
>Season 2 - 5
Show getting its bearings, developing its characters, occasionally dipping into social commentary but more focused on the kids screwing around than anything else. Some of the best episodes.
>Season 6 - 9
Post 9/11, social commentary becomes more of a thing, there's a more clear divide between the "fun episodes" and the "political episodes" based on recent events. Still very strong episodes, a couple weak points.
>Season 10 - 14
Post Chef. Shit starts to get weird. Episodes divided into parts start popping up, not always with much success. Social commentary starts getting thick. Episodes getting hit or miss.
>Season 15 - 18
Every episode has a "thing" usually based on recent events. A couple gems, a couple complete flops, mostly just mediocre. This is the shittier modern era.
>Season 19 - 20
Matt and Trey experimenting with serialization. Successfully in season 19, unsuccessfully in season 20.

Just watched this episode today. Very apt trips

Season 15-18 was the "Post 200" era.

>DEY MADE FUN OF MUH TRUMP
Lmao, why can't you drumpf supporters just not be such sensitive snowflakes?

South Park is the Woody Allen of 'adult cartoons'

things like King of the Hill and Home Movies are infinitesimally better but the creators didn't have the audacity to keep grinding away at it every single season like SP does and still put out more quality content than shit content on average

>Implying South Park hasn't always been social commentary
Cmon man

>Devil trips

That episode is pretty brilliant if you ask me. Corny, hokey shit and the Korn guys are so nice, the whole episode is all innocent, so when Korn starts playing at the end it hits so hard.

Dude, I know you're being ironic or whatever but trump jokes are seriously getting old. It doesn't matter where you are on the political spectrum, of you still enjoy this shit you're probably actually braindead

>support for a biased media
Lmao you're a fucking cuck, enjoy living under a censorship state americuck

South Park killed adult animation.
It set the precedent that every successful show has to be point-for-point social satire. Its why the Simpsons started to suck. Its why Futurama sucked when it came back. Its why it itself began to suck, it became a parody of itself.

Maybe I'm too easy to please, but I just love every episode and frequently just click the "random episode" button.
Everything is just such a nice, self-contained little commentary, the gags are always on point, and even if you don't like one there's another dozen to enjoy.

Even as white noise while you do something else, it's still pretty good, and I often just leave a playlist running if I'm doing rote work.

Except the last season.
They took everything that makes SP good (Self-contained brilliance in 23 minutes) and made it some grandiose wanna-be movie in 20 parts

1.Randy
2.Cartman
power gap
100. Satan
101. Buters
102. Stan
power gap
500. Kenny
power gap
999999. Kyle

>Successfully in season 19
The ending was terrible and the plot seriously went nowhere

That happened in 19 too dummy

The Coin and the other kids being superheroes is when I quit South Park.
Still enjoy the older episodes if I ever catch them though.

what a comfy episode, based satan

19 had a coherent overarching storyline while still giving you single episodes that made for nice stories of their own.
It still doesn't give you the "single pill" thing of the other seasons, but it's not as bad as 20, where you either watch it all or you're watching nothing

I did not find newer seasons funny at all
I still occasionaly laugh at old seasons, even tho I remember them all
South Park is supposed to be funny, there are almost no jokes in newest seasons, therefore they suck.

best seasons: 3-7

I lost interest after season 11, to be honest.
I've seen a few episodes that suggest it may have got good again.
Season 7 and 8 are the heights, as I've said many times on this board.

I agree with this completely, only season 19 is also bad

New South Park is much better, don't act like an oldschool retard

would've been very happy if the show ended on this episode.

I think the last two seasons were pretty shitty.

People tend to forget that S19 had an extremely rushed conclusion and dropped a number of story threads because Matt and Trey got in over their heads, without the excuse of the election results to cover their ass.

I agree that SP has always been social commentary, but it was a step removed earlier on.
Gnomes is the best example. It's totally topical but it plays out it's topical themes through a strange vector: underpants gnomes. This is in contrast to later seasons which literally just seem to copy and paste what is happening in the real world into the show.
South Park used to be about making a social commentary that fitted into and was shaped by the South Park universe, but now it's about shaping South Park to whatever talking point is currently happening.
This doesn't mean it has to be terrible, but it feels lazy.
Like I said earlier thoguh, I stopped watching a while ago, so I'm really basing my analysis of later SP seasons on seasons 13-15

Swap Cartman and randy

Middle Southpark>Older Southpark>Newer Southpark

Imo social and political commentary taking control ruined it.

>has to use cuck twice to really sink the point that he's super duper triggered

Season 19 was the SP renaissance. Shame about 20.

I still watch these episodes when I'm drunk and depressed, good shit.

>cartoon expresses some ideas i don't agree with
>CENSORSHIP!! only cucks watch stuff that doesnt suck trumps dick all day. listen bud im a meme war veteran whos been giving le epic helicopter rides to libuck commies in the name of the God Emperor for months now. praise kek and shadilay, glory to kekistan!

>Seth Macfarlane
Bait?

Season 11 was the last really great season. Every season afterwards was still very good up until season 15, which barring like 3 or 4 episodes, is almost entirely garbage. It's a quality roller coaster after that, and I haven't seen seasons 19 or 20.
Red Badge of Gayness best episode, btw

yep

What are the best episodes?

same, bro

I hope you used "high concept" in the proper way there, because that I can agree with. The show now is very simple in it's message. They take something out of the headlines, and then act it out in a very basic yet absurd manner. So everyone can laugh at it.

The show remains low brow. So I don't know why I keep hearing people say it's smart. It's really just very basic parody presented in an extreme manner. The show has become the political cartoon that caters to everyone.

All considered, I think the old South Park was more original. But the new South Park is more refined. I hesitate to rank one better than the other.

South Park is the only thing that I would say I shill for ( just wrote a 60 page South Park analysis paper for my AA Honors degree), so my opinion is definitely biased here.

For me the show is split into three eras:
The Early Years-Seasons 1-4
The Glory Years-Seasons 5-15
The New Era-Seasons 16-21

The first four seasons have a lot of nostalgia and quality humor, but nothing mind blowing. Seasons 5-15 is arguable the best stretch of quality animated humor ever. Seasons 16-20 have been hit and miss, but still more hits than misses.

The two best seasons are 11 and 14. Best individual episode is "The Return of the Fellowship of the Ring to the Two Towers (Sea. 6)," and the best trilogy is the Imaginationland trilogy (Sea 11).

Season 20 is a low point (of which there are a few), but still watchable, and has the single best ending shot/sequence of any season prior. I definitely think the show has seen it's best days, but the content is still quality for the most part, and ages well (opinion).

You criticizing them making Trump jokes during the election though.

>People say South Park is one of the smartest shows on television
>Nothing but fart, piss, puke and shit "jokes"

Not him, but it's because they were utterly wrong in everyway

I think the best episodes were from season 8 to 14 last 3 seasons were dogshit and i dropped last season after couple of episodes and only watched rest like week ago and it was a waste of time

>media is allowed to say things i disagree with
>censorship
whoa that's some pretty intense doublespeak

duh. Have a nice summer.

>anyone who doesn't have the same political opinion as me is either a shill or a cuck
>it can't be that I support a literal retard.

Fair enough. I respect them for taking a lane. Rather than attempting to write completely fair and boring jokes. It was fun up to the point Trump won. In fact, I blame the election for ruining the season.

I'm gonna say 5-10 was best. They reached a golden point between social commentary episodes that had a slight message but didn't try to go too hard ("South Park is Gay!," "Follow that Egg!") and hilarious "simple innocent kids in situations that get really fucked up and out of hand" ("Wing," "Erection Day," "Woodland Critter Christmas.")

The earlier episodes were great, but definitely have a Simpsons seasons 1/2 feel (good, but definitely got better,) and the newer episodes are just constant thick social commentary.

They're hardly even jokes anymore. They literally just play clips of Trump speaking and the audience erupts with laughter.

i think 9/11 ruined south park

i read up a thing where they said that they wanted to be more serious after 9/11 happened

more like they plant some guy in the crowd

South Park is still good.

But they were struggling for a bit for a couple years before they started the SJW stuff, which has endless material.

There were a few episodes in that couple years that are really just unwatchable. not funny at all

For everyone talking about season 20:

youtu.be/oDaQMBqqSE0

Everything that was good about the last two seasons would have been better without their forced continuity.

The best thing they can do is go back to doing stand alone episodes that do not have to be tied together with a flimsy plot.

I personally like older south park on the whole but season 13 is easily my favorite overall.
The last two seasons of south park are an entirely different (but not exactly bad) show from where it started. But that is because Matt and Trey aren't the guys who go to the Emmys high on acid wearing dresses anymore. They're the guys who sell video games at E3.

Ziplining is one of the most boring episodes of any show. Which I find a bit ironic.

What do you mean user?
youtu.be/rqdxHwaxrNM

Cool. listening now.

but do they think it was bad?

>just wrote a 60 page South Park analysis paper for my AA Honors degree), so my opinion is definitely biased here.
interesting
>Best individual episode is "The Return of the Fellowship of the Ring to the Two Towers (Sea. 6),"
why that one?

I think one reason why I liked last season is because I skipped the post-election night episode.

It's not that I couldn't take them ripping on Trump, I just knew they wouldnt be very prepared for the outcome and it would be a wobbly episode. and it turns out most people say it's pretty bad.

If you are interested I will post.

That episode is masterfully crafted. Remove the Kenny trapped in Cartman bit and you have a perfectly self contained story. The jokes all hit and stick, and it cemented Butters as a great character.

Pretty much. Maybe not bad, but definitely muddled and sub-par. Their commentary tracks are always pretty insightful.

what a bunch of faggots they like the rest of hollywood still dont get it

The older episodes are much more comfy, well written, creative, defining, etc.

The last 10-12 seasons have been "hey we're out of good ideas, let's see how long we can keep this show on the air."

Yeah, I kinda saw that coming. Given that they went ahead predicting the results of 2008 and 2012 weeks before the election happened (To be fair they were on the money and it was much easier to see how those would turn out) I'm not surprised they bet on Clinton winning. All things told though, their election episodes have always been pretty weak, aside from the one from 2000, and that was only good because it had that trapper keeper subplot.

I agree that is one of the single greatest episodes of the show. I'd also throw Cancelled, Butters' Very Own Episode, Lil' Crime Stoppers, My Future Self n' Me, and Scott Tenorman Must Die into the conversation.

people still watch south park? it still exists?

honestly it's a really shitty show, early seasons were shock value tripe, nobody gives a shit anymore. long ago it had devolved to your standard neocon propaganda tripe. it was good in fifth grade but I'm a man now. it's an awful show made for idiots, more annoying than it is funny.

This.

It's why I knew it was bullshit when James Rolfe tried saying the "Indiana Jones got raped" episode was actually making fun of people overreacting to Crystal Skull. The show just wasn't smart enough at that point to approach the subject ironically

The reason Team America was so great was they approached it from a totally different stance. One which got them shunned in Hollywood for not toeing the line and making fun of Bush.

I think they made fun of Trump so much that season cuz they expected to be able to make fun of Hillary for 4 years or more.

Instead they just did the same shit everyone else did all 2016. Which is why they said they would lay off it next year.

But Trump basically did that IRL. He was planning on losing and already making excuses. After he barely won the EC but lost the popular vote, he cried about the election being rigged as the only reason he lost the popular vote.

Only thing that would have been better is if South Park Hillary blamed the loss on Russia and misogyny like IRL

>Using cuck twice in one sentence
Looks like summer is here

Hey op
Listen up closely, this is what you should do

Kill yourself.

Seriously just do it

youtube.com/watch?v=7Cr6ee0Pkfw

Old south park is vastly superior. I do not have any interest in watching shitty libertarian social commentary. Half of the time they're wrong, and even when I agree with their point it's just not funny because they're focusing on message rather than a humorous scenario.