Does anyone else feel that Steven Universe is kinda overrated...

Does anyone else feel that Steven Universe is kinda overrated. It's not an awful show but it tries to do a lot and ends up not doing it well. I just binged watch this show up until (what I think) is the most recent episode where they play baseball. It flip flops between being a drama, comedy, SoL and action show without doing any of it particularly well. The non-musical number songs are excellent though. Also what kind of bugs me is how quickly plots are resolved. Malachite was built up for a whole season and then just was defeated in a few minutes, same with the cluster. This show would benefit from being 22 minutes instead of 11 too, but I don't think the staff, who are all pretty much newbies, could handle that.

What are your thoughts on this show?

It's alright.

It's a shit show.
Liking it is a meme.

No.

NO ,OUT OF 7 BILLION+ PEOPLE YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE WHO THINKS LIKE THAT. YOU ARE THE ABOMINABLY PERSON OUT OF TRILLIONS OF PEOPLE, YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE OF HAVE UNIQUE THOUGHTS.

>What are your thoughts on this show?
I enjoy it very much and I'm really excited for Summer of Steven.

eh, i think its ok. With how little good cartoons there are right now, its understandable that it gets the praise it does.
I can't name 10 cartoons airing right now that are worth watching.

Stop shilling.

Honestly, drop the show and watch an anime. It's very apparent how this show is going to keep playing out now and people who say it's gonna be different are just delusional.

It's not as overrated as Rick & Morty.

Not really. Waaay more people wank SU over R&M.

>Loud House
>Harvey Beaks
>Uncle Grandpa
>Star Vs
>Gumball
>We Bare Bears
>Clarence
>Miraculous Ladybug
>Wander Over Yonder
>Gravity Falls
All better than SU.

Yeah, I dropped it after the first season.

I don't care about the lore
Steven's annoying
The girls aren't hot and no amount of waifuposting will change that
The plot is paper thin
And the action is lame

That's right, Summer of Steven, starting July 18th. An episode every weekday! That is starting ten (10) days from now, and will air the remaining episodes from Season 3 (three).

I have a lot of excitement for it. The enthusiasm is very riveting. It's very good.

I find it to be an entertaining show. Overrated might be a bit strong, though i would say it's not the most original thing ever especially if one takes into account anime which the show is heavily influenced by.

I don't think changing the time thing is gonna help or hurt anything, also everyone on this show is veterans.

Fucking this. They've become as delusional as AT fags.

>>Gravity Falls
>airing right now

Isn't Wander ending very soon too?

>UG and Clarence

GO FUCK YOURSELF, COW!!

>The girls aren't hot and no amount of waifuposting will change that
You must be a blast in the TLH threads.

Not being able to realize not every thing is literal is a sign of autism.

>All better than SU.
They're alright, but they don't quite stack up.

Literally no one likes SU. I wouldn't be surprised if it got cancelled.

So what did you watch it for in the first place?

>Malachite was built up for a whole season and then just was defeated in a few minutes
Not really. Malachite showed up/was mentioned, like, once after her debut, and the fight itself was neat enough.
>same with the cluster.
I agree that it felt kind of anticlimatic, but let's be real, that's mostly down to hiatuses.

>It's very apparent how this show is going to keep playing out now and people who say it's gonna be different are just delusional.
What are you talking about?

>that's mostly down to hiatuses.

I didn't experience the haituses though. I just watched the whole thing this week.

They beat SU in terms of quality, animation, writing and just about anything else a cartoon needs.

>Uncle Grandpa
Fuck outta here.

Hiatuses are just an excuse SU fags use when someone criticizes their show.

I don't watch that either, but I caught an episode. Seems meh. The girls in that show are also literally one note.
Because
>I thought the lore would be interesting
>I thought there would be more fighting and more exploration to worlds in the Gem system
>I thought Steven would grow to be less annoying and more useful
But the thing that really killed the show for me is how melodramatic it is.

>not liking UG
>not liking Clarence
It's like SU fans enjoy eating shit.

>that's mostly down to hiatuses.
It's really not, though. I could see it MAYBE being down to the short length of episodes, but then I'm also more inclined to put it down to they couldn't come up with a better conflict.

Star vs. is way worse than SU. I honestly don't get how anyone can sit through that ADHD shit.

I like Clarence, Uncle Grandpa is fucking annoying.

>getting excited for Summer of Steven
>it shows Greg in a tux and a ponytail
Fucking dropped. I hope you all enjoy the taste of shit.

Whoa, stop yourself. Run a check.

>>I thought Steven would grow to be less annoying and more useful
Did you skip episodes or something? That's exactly what happens.

>>I thought there would be more fighting and more exploration to worlds in the Gem system
When did the show ever advertise itself as an action show where they explore the cosmos?

>>I thought the lore would be interesting
What did you find uninteresting about the lore.

With a name like Steven Universe I wouldn't blame people for thinking that.

Star is way better than "WAAAAAAAH! We cry every five minutes when our milk spills!"

>>it shows Greg in a tux and a ponytail
Okay I may just not be autistic enough for Sup Forums anymore, but why the fuck is that a problem?

>With a name like Steven Universe
What can you glean from a name like that?

He probably has a beach bum fetish and is offended they're ruining her perfect pure waifu.

Type "Greg in a tux" on desu storage for real autism.

A kid name Steven who travels the universe.

It's an enjoyable show with an interesting setting and entertaining character dynamics. It's not the second coming or anything, but I like it.

Also that BGM.

>The gems are all warriors
>they've been in wars
>They've got weapons and powers
>They fight monsters that come to Beach City
>they travel to different lands/worlds/places to get magical items
And they sideline all that cool shit for romance slice of life swarbage. I was baited.
I dunno. Like I said, I stopped watching around the time they fought Peridot and the orange dyke, more or less. There was talk of a cluster, dead moms, lying for sex and yellow diamond. I don't know.

That's like saying Fullmetal Alchemist is a show about an alchemist who listens to metal.

>And they sideline all that cool shit for romance slice of life swarbage. I was baited.
>the show has only been advertised by everyone as an SoL show with some drama and action.
You weren't baited, you're just mad they didn't pander to you.

Steven Universe does a good job of building interest over a long period of time because it accomplishes lore and world building incrementally over the course of all it's episodes. On a weekly airing show, this was an excellent move, each new episode contained some nugget of mystery that would maintain interest until the next week. Even though Steven Universe is primarily an episodic comedy this format gives it more of the narrative interest of a serial even if the development in a given episode was cryptic or metacommentative.

Keeping this in mind Steven Universe is probably a bad show to binge watch. A crumb of lore designed to stoke the interest of a fandom over the course of a week might not seem like good payoff when the real secrets get revealed after another 30 minutes of watching.

In many ways the CN's bomb format has failed Steven Universe in ways that it wouldn't have something like Adventure Time. The episodes are held in stark relief with each other and the attempts at experimentation appear stranger and the paced worldbuilding appears more deliberately vague.

But Fullmetal Alchemist is about a Alchemist who has a Fullmetal arm

>>The gems are all warriors
>>they've been in wars
>>They've got weapons and powers
>>They fight monsters that come to Beach City
>>they travel to different lands/worlds/places to get magical items
But advertisement wise, it always focused on Steven and the SoL aspect, with the drama getting a spotlight during In Too Deep. It never pulled a Tenchi Muyo.

But his brother is literally a suit of metal armor, so shouldn't he be the FMA?

I like the show, but it's been a long time since we've had show with lore and an overarching plot, so it's only natural that people started latching onto it, for better or worse.

Also, Peridot is cute.

That's actually brought up in the series

>but it's been a long time since we've had show with lore and an overarching plot

Gravity falls?

Steven Universe has both superior lore and plot.

anything remotely good in this generation is overrated.

Especially on this board.

They actually often mistakenly call the other brother the Fullmetal Alchemist.

Don't forget the hiatuses after each bomb where we take every tiny hint for the next crop of episodes, and maybe some things that weren't even meant to be hints, and continuously dissect them and overhype ourselves, until when the payoff finally comes it will probably be underwhelming no matter what it is. And any question left unanswered at the end of a bomb leaves us feeling frustrated and cheated as we have to wait and see if it will maybe be picked up in the next one.

Waiting a week for a new episode is reasonable. Waiting half a year in between a week's worth of episodes is annoying as hell.

>outing yourself as a max pleb

Gravity Falls was similarly popular and praised by critics.

Until the end. Which wasn't SO bad but was a letdown.

The finale soured GF for Sup Forums.

I know I picked up SU after GF ended. I still don't think it's as good but at least there are new eps coming out.

Guys, I've got some bad news.
I'm Steven

You're a meme.

Fucking this. Greg is my unwashed husbando, why are they turning him into some dapper asshole? Give me back my smelly husbando.

>Overrated.
Compared to what exactly? Teen Titans Go or Power Puff Girls?

There's way better shows compared to SU.
TTG and PPG aren't even that bad.

I am sure by the end of the episode Greg's life will return to its status quo.

Consider this. You're right. However, the children watching this that are discovering they are soft little faggots, theyLOVE this show.

In seriousness, for young people I imagine this is the first time they've seen anything like this show. To them, it is a God tier cartoon. And that's acceptable too.

Do they have the same theorycrafting potential as Steven Universe? If no, I'm not interested.

Because when SU maintains status quo it's alright, but when AT does it it's a crime.

Why does a cartoon need "theory crafting potential"? Can't a cartoon be a cartoon?

You can't say that for sure user.
Greg is supposedly Sugar's favorite and this is her favorite episode.

Because I personally find theorycrafting to be the best part about Steven Universe, to be honest.

It's inconsistent storytelling. Why are you making the Homer Simpson style slob into some extra from a Seth McFarlane number?

Plus, Greg and Steven can't hold an episode on their own.

It's completely overrated, but it's still one of the best shows on right now.

That's retarded. Who watches a cartoon for theories?

That's not Gumball, Clarence, Star Vs or TLH.

Since SU has failed me on many different levels and since the Crewniverse won't give me back the time I wasted, I'm doing it my way with Steven Universe: Rebirth.

Unlike the show it's based on, Rebirth will be more plot driven, more action packed, more grounded and best of all, filler free.

Theories is not the main reason why I watch Steven Universe, but it is those theories that keep me interested in it.

I don't like SU maintaining status quo in most instances. For example if Lapis and Peridot never leave the barn I'll be pissed. But I don't think making Greg a singing, tap dancing billionaire for the rest of the show sounds like a good idea and I really doubt it'll happen.

>Star Vs
>Gumball
>We Bare Bears
>Clarence
>Gravity Falls
literally all the same tumblr art style

>Loud House
>Wander Over Yonder
same but less common 90's Nick cartoon art style

Homer has been in plenty of showtuney musical numbers in the past and implying that Seth McFarlane invented them is a crime.

Steven Universe.

>TLH

Please stop

>But I don't think making Greg a singing, tap dancing billionaire for the rest of the show sounds like a good idea and I really doubt it'll happen.
Honestly, it's better than what their doing with the character now and they're obviously running low on ideas.

>same but less common 90's Nick cartoon art style

literal moron

Wasn't the plot of SU planned way in advance? How can they run out of ideas?

Overrated is the most worthless description you can use. Everything is overrated by people. Everything is also underrated. Rate the show, don't make threads rating people ratings.

>it's another "Sup Forums hates SU" episode
I thought Sup Forums the anime would be better.

Easily. One way might be that they have all of the big season finale type plot points decided but are having trouble padding the seasons with filler between them.

Steven Universe was a Trojan horse. It was pitched as an action series with a soft and sentimental quirky side, but really was just a progressive slice of life series with rock lesbians.

>>Wander Over Yonder
>>Gravity Falls
That are airing right now

>nuPPG

yeah no it's the worst thing on now

Steven Universe is a pretty damn good cartoon, but the glacial pacing hurts the narrative. It does explore a lot of very deep and mature themes for a kids show, but it pulls its punches when it comes to actually showing conflict.

Plus the fact that its "progressive" themes are so controversial can cause some people to hate it on a conceptual level even if they haven't actually watched it.

I'm all for a wider variety of female characters in cartoons, but even I'm getting tired of literally all the gems being female. (Fucking bismuth jfc)

>explore a lot of very deep and mature themes for a kids show

?

It was never pitched as an action show; it always presented itself as a SoL show with a dramatic side. Or did you forget who made this show?

Also, I'd hardly call SU progressive.