Would Katara and Sokka have been better teammates for Korra than Mako, Bolin and Asami?

Would Katara and Sokka have been better teammates for Korra than Mako, Bolin and Asami?
Would they have been able to guide her better? Would their skills be more valuable to her?

No, because you'd be left with the same problem:

They don't have any real reason for being there. They just follow Korra around like RPG party members.

In ATLA Sokka and Katara had personal stakes in the conflict, and strong motivations. Mako and Bolin just seemed to have nothing better to do.

I suppose that's true.
Though it really shouldn't be too difficult to give them a motivation, being that they're all from the same tribe. If you make Katara somebody who befriends/admires Korra, then have Sokka come along to look after his sister, similarly to how it worked in ATLA.
Alternatively, put Korra in Aang's place and keep all the motivations the same.

Put Korra in Aang's place

Does Katara become gay?

Katara fell in love with Aang because he's nice, considerate, and mellow (presumambly)

Korra is rude and obnoxious

Do you think Katara was attracted to Toph? Because it's a similar question. The difference being that Toph was less gung ho about actively ruining things for everyone.

No, but Sokka becomes a sub.

For which girl?

>Katara fell in love with Aang because he's nice, considerate, and mellow (presumambly)
That's more unrealistic than people throwing fire from their hands

sauce on this pic?

I've got to admit, I wouldn't mind seeing a version of ATLA where Katara was in Aang's place and Sokka becomes her childhood friend secretly pining for her on the sidelines.

>nice, considerate, and mellow
But Jet was none of these things.

>making them unrelated
What are you, gay?

>nice, considerate, and mellow
While I don't think they did him any harm, what I think swung it for Aang was that he was wise beyond his years, optimistic, committed to peace and straight up heroic.

I meant Korra but typed Katara for some reason.

Korra would have hooked up with Azula

Either team would have been okay. For the most part the characters were good the problem with Lok was the lazy world building, plot and conflict. Season 1 laid out a shitty foundation for a series and everything after was one dimensional. No one was able to grow as a character

I think he meant Korra.

>put Korra in Aang's place
She would die by trying to defend her tribe from the fire nation. Or doing any other stupid shit she does.

She is also inept spiritually, and S01 spirituality was needed.

Tonraq would have been a better MC than her degenerate lesbian daughter

it's pretty obvious korra was just a girl version of her dad when he was younger.

We never find out what she sees in him. They get together because they're the leads, the actual relationship was never explored all that much besides "oh Aang, wait till the war is over" for her and "muh earthly attachments" for him.

We never saw Sokka's kids in Korra did we?

LoK shafted all the non-benders hard.

MAN her dad was hot tho

>switch setting
>korra still a Failure
Yeah, so nothing changes.

Also, how the hell would she learn air?

Sokka probably didn't have kids. Bryan said something to the effect that they didn't think of real solid endings for Suki and Sokka except that the latter had a career in politics, and we also know he was still alive when the White Lotus found Korra. If he does have kids they could show up in the comics.

The whole Amon business confirmed Bryke never gave a shit about non-benders.

Yeah, I'm still salty.

There was no discrimination against non-benders. You should be salty that nobody in book 1 pointed out that what Amon was saying didn't make any sense, especially when the only non-bender in the group was a rich heiress about to inherit a huge corporation.

What are you talking about?

one of the first things we see in RC is violence against nonbenders made by gangs of benders

>She would die trying to defend her tribe from the fire nation
Except she wouldn't for the reason neither tribe would've let her, if Korra was born during the 100y war she basically would've been water tribe Toph.

And no doubt spirituality would've been harder but not impossible, the Guru and the like would've helped plenty not to mention the Air Nomads wouldn't have been completly wiped out because in this timeline it wasn't a airbender that was the avatar

>Alternatively, put Korra in Aang's place and keep all the motivations the same.
Story would be much more boring. The main conflict in ATLA came from the fact that Aang didn't want to fight.

As far as I'm concerned, Korra, Tenzin, and Lin were the core team. They had an awesome balance of power going on between them. The teenage partners just felt like they were thrown in because the original series had them.

To be fair, we could still base it around fighting, but it ends up spiraling out of control in the total opposite direction.

Uhh friendo? Korra was also from the southern tribe.

They would all have personal stakes in this AU by the simple fact they would've known each other since birth.

Katara has no need for delicious brown

I like to think the Sukka kids were just too smart to get involved with Korra's bullshit

I want this. I WANT THIS

>We need to help them!
>Wait, sis. What did mom and dad say in this situation.
>*flashback*
>"Benders are nothing but trouble."
>"And Avatars are even worse."

Well at least Katara would never be able to make a lesbo out of Korra, no one should be dumb enough to fall for her. She has at least that over Mako.

It's been proven that people who are less advantaged in societies are more likely to turn to a life of crime to get by, so benders becoming gangsters (like Mako and Bolin did) is a sign that things aren't exactly easy for them in Republic CIty, either.

The problem in Republic City was that there was too big of a gap between the classes, and Amon took advantage of people's frustrations to get them to rally behind him.

Or just make it more complex while still being fighting.

Like the Fire Nation conquers rather than genocides, so now all young men must do a minimum amount of military service.

Sokka's back down in the south on leave when the story starts.

The Fire Nation is a lot like Rome in this, where they also give a lot of great things. So barbaric areas are civilized.

That wasn't the "main conflict. It was one of them, particularly for Aang but it wasn't "THE" main conflict. The conflict was the war.

>ends up spiraling out of control in the total opposite direction
I kind of like it. Korra's sudden re-emergence is a lot more chaotic than Aang's. Her violence inspires the warrior elements of the Water Tribes and Earth Kingdoms, but creates a more devastating response from the Fire Nation.
Cue Katara trying to educate Korra on how to take more diplomatic responses over the course of the series and Sokka schooling her on how to be more tactically aware and hit the FN where it hurts, rather than flying in head first.

>Korra hears rumors about the Air Nomads being wiped out and the Fire Nation sending troops to the South
>Wants to fight and protect her home
>Family wants to send her to the North where she'll be safe
>Ever brash and stubborn, Korra and Naga ride out in a storm to go fight off the invasion
>Get lost in the storm and iceberged
>100 years later she's found by Katara and Sokka
>After learning of the death of her family and the destruction of her tribe, she blames herself for not being there to fight
>Korra's character arc is about learning to let go of her need for revenge before it consumes her, and ultimately forgive herself for not being there when she was needed.

>Rome
Japan m8, the Fire Nation is imperial Japan.

I'd watch that

This hotman gets it.
Katara and Sokka are pretty damn good candidates to teach her that shit as well, given their shared pain as SWT members at the hands of the FN and that Katara's a life valuing optimist and Sokka can teach her how to channel her anger into something tactically useful.

I was drawing a comparison. Japan got their writing from China, so comparing them to Japan didn't make sense in the whole "civilizing the barbarians" angle.

I see it as them teaching all their soldiers to read, so there's a conflict between Sokka and Katara in this. Katara says that their way is that mothers tell the history and story of their people and the world to their children, while Sokka now as books (all written by men because it represents the western literary canon).

This is the gender card, but played in a far less "women belong in the kitchen, amirite fellas?" way.

Maybe. Since they'd be from the same tribe it wouldn't be a stretch to say that Korra would've known them from a relatively young age. Which would mean she'd have been less sequestered, and thus she'd have to have gained more social / diplomatic skills from not being a shut in that only ever learned combat

>wanting to see Katara and Korra bitch at each other

Pairing Korra with another headstrong character would have been really annoying. Toph and Katara's arguments were okay but replace Toph with Korra there and you've got a recipe for diaster.

Asami and Sokka would be goat tacticians though between Sokka's innovation and Asami's knack for tech.

>Pairing Korra with another headstrong character would have been really annoying
Can't be any worse than what they actually paired her with.

There would inevitably be descrimination because non-benders are objectively inferior. It is impossible for there to be equality in that kind of society.

That sounds more British Empire than Roman Empire.

I like how much of a different dynamic this would imply for Korra and Zuko compared to Aang and Zuko.

Imagine how something like The Blue Spirit or The Winter Solstice would play out.

The personal conflict for Aang is what made people care about the story. Without it it's boring as shit, because Aang can just stomp over everybody. Like in the shitty finale where that conflict was taken away.

>replace Toph with Korra there and you've got a recipe for diaster.
Actually, how would Toph and Korra play out? Would they get along or would Toph be a painful reminder to Korra of how angry and stubborn and alone she was when the series started?

Well, Fire Nation soldiers did wear red.

At least Zuko wouldn't feel to weird about wanting to bang the Avatar this time.

>Aang doesn't want to fight but is occasionally thrown into situations where he is forced to
>Korra wants to fight but grows to realize how all that anger and hatred can consume you and has to struggle to overcome it.

Oh it'd still be awkward. It's just that now the awkwardness is over wanting to bang the slightly older woman trying to fucking murder you.

At least the final scene would be better.

> Reaction Image
What did he mean by this?

fuck off

What's Korra doing back there?

Would that mean she replaces Aang? Does that mean KorraxKatara?

Okay, since this is pretty much a Korra thread, I might as well say: I haven't seen the rest of LoK after the first season. I know about the "Lol, they're lesbians!" ending but I don't really know much about the other books after Amon. Is the series worth me checking out? If so, where can I find the episodes?

Eating ass

S2 is terrible except for Varrick and some parts with Bolin.

S3 is okay overall, has issues but is inoffensive.

S4 is meh until the climax where they just do the same thing they always do in the season climax and just becomes bad.

na book 4 is good you idiots just hate it because lesbians

>Toph is impressed by both Korra's toughness and physique
>agrees to become Korra's Earth Bending teacher in exchange for one thing; Korra becomes her fitness coach

and yes this would be setting things up for Korra and Toph becoming a couple by the series end(Katara would end up with either Haku, or maybe a Jet who doesn't die)

It's stupid because giant robots with lasers and villain gets redeemed because of daddy issues.

Go fuck yourself if you're going to steep low enough to use lesbians as a shield for criticism.

she didn't have daddy issues you fucking idiot both her parents abandoned her looks like you need to watch and not listen to idiots on Sup Forums

Book 4 is only good if you like Varrick because it was essentially about him after Korra. It started out really strong and then sharply dropped in quality after Korra got back to Republic City.

I would genuinely, 100% rather see Katara hook up with Sokka than consider boring-ass, useless Haru as a serious romantic partner for any of the main cast.
Maybe she doesn't end up with anyone. Or maybe Zutara, but not frigging Haru.

He's generalizing with the daddy issues thing.

The point is her motives did turn from a legitimate grievance against Lin for not doing something about the Earth Kingdom's instability despite having the resources and the ideals to fully industrialize !China to her entire excuse for everything she did was because her parents abandoned her, despite the fact she was supposed to have been raised lovingly by the Bei-Fongs. Of course these are then the same Bei-Fongs who immediately want to murder her due to disagreeing with their politics. They took a wonderful grey villain who was doing good for her nation and they turned around to make it black and white and to jerk off how great democracy is.

I was legitimately angry when Prince Wu said he was abandoning all his responsibilities on to a newly formed democracy that just came out of a war torn nation in order to be a singer and Korra's response to that was "Wow that's really grown up of you!" right before she decided to go on a week long vacation despite none of the shit in the Earth Kingdom being resolved.

wow seeing Sup Forums try and talk how bad korra is some of the funniest shit i have ever seen

I particularly disliked Wu because he was a shining beacon of one of the show's flaws where they keep introducing new characters who take away time that could have gone to already established ones. What the fuck do I care that this lovechild of the Onceler and Aziz Ansari had character development? I don't know this asshole.

Her learning air is the only problem you'd have to solve to make the idea work. Otherwise it's great and she might actually be allowed to beat the shit out of people instead of jobbing all the time.

>Her learning air is the only problem you'd have
Mumble mumble, something about Iroh studying other bending techniques, mumble, mumble.

Or.

Have Aang around as a non-Avatar member of a tiny group of surviving Air Nomads who come out of hiding following the reemergence of the Avatar.

I hate when people try to act like Korra's problems have anything to do with structure

It ain't structure

It's execution

If I told you that the new Avatar series took place in 1920s New York/Hong Kong and starred a brown muscle girl Avatar who was a hothead you'd all jizz in your pants(2011 Sup Forums did)

Well, she realized her feelings when he acted as a hero.

Oh yeah it's definately doable. I remember another Au thread there was some talk of a sandbender tribe who derived their style from airbending. It just ended up taking over a huge part of the story and replace the siege of the north.

The whole idea of just leaving RC and the earthkingdom behind to take a vacation felt incredibly OOC for both Korra and Asami. Especially considering Korra has spent her entire life looking for a situation to prove herself worthy of being the avatar, and Asami worked on rebuilding RC and upgrading its railway. And then we're supposed to believe they just leave when RC is in ruins and need to be relocated, and the EK needs to transition into a democracy.

If Korra is doing the whole frozen in time thing that Aang did, than could just have her already have mastered Air Bending along with Water Bending(in exchange she has no Earth Bending, and her Fire Bending is so underdeveloped that even the most wimpy Fire Nation trooper could beat her if she could only use Fire and not Air or Water)

>Especially considering Korra has spent her entire life looking for a situation to prove herself worthy of being the avatar
As someone who has been a fan of Korra since day 1, not only was hear leaving at the end disappointing and OOC (like you said), so was her general attitude during the last couple of minutes. She had proven she still has a place in the world by talking down Kuvira and finding a common ground between them (as badly written of a parallel it was).

But when she's on her own at the wedding looking at the spirit portal, she doesn't look happy or even content, she looks fucking miserable. When she's talking to Tenzin about how she feels like she still has room to grow, she looks miserable. Even when approaching the portal with her girlfriend she doesn't look particularly happy. I don't know if there was a miscommunication in production or if I'm just reading into it, but I got the impression Korra still wasn't very happy and had actually accepted that the world doesn't always need the Avatar and doesn't need her, which enabled her to ditch Republic City with Asami, and after everything she's been through it's a depressing conclusion to her arc.

Pretty sure conscripting colonials is pretty barbaric.

Yeah Korra definately did not feel like she had recovered at the time. And i especially hated that they tried to pass it off as if she had become a better person now, when she just seemed so sad at the time. The whole thing from entering the spirit world with Kuvira and onwards felt weird and out of place imo.

Varrick and Bolin were nice in s4

To be fair Mako and Bolin didn't really have anything better to do and Korra was the avatar and pretty fucking hot. Given the chance I would've befriended her and followed her around.

>Katara fell in love with Aang because he's nice, considerate, and mellow (presumambly)
I thougth she fell in love with him because a fortune-teller told her so.

The Katara/Aang was always the worst part of TLA. People like to shit on Korra/Mako/Asami but Aang/Katara was just as poorly handled and shit.

To date the only romance either series did well with a main character was Sokka and Suki

By book 3 it didn't make much sense for them to be following her around. Mako and Bolin no longer wanted to get in Korra's pants. Asami did, tho.

>S2 is terrible except for Varrick and some parts with Bolin.
Season 2 was the worst over all but still had the best first 2 episodes.

>Korra/Mako/Asami but Aang/Katara was just as poorly handled and shit
Are you serious? Aang/Katara wasn't a masterpiece romance and no, it wasn't as convincing as Sokka/Suki but Christ, it didn't almost derail and entire fucking season like the Makorrasami triangle and it didn't make Team Avatar look like a collection of the most vain, stupid and self-interested fuckboys and fuckgirls on the planet. Aang/Katara might not have been that good but it wasn't as actively horrible and obnoxious like Mako/Korra/Asami

I still feel you're exaggerating having seen every season but I digress.

Point is, the show was never good at romance and to act like it was all there in their characters is stupid.

There's value in recognizing the difference between a 5/10 and a 1/10.