The Omega Men Analysis

He's done another video about The Omega Men. Was this not everyone's favourite superhero comic this year?

youtube.com/watch?v=KQzXcFmf98I

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/750470231118651392
comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/dc-sneak-peek-the-omega-men-dc-comics-2015
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No one read it, so no, it wasn't.

It was boring shit.

it was fantastic

everyone was waiting for the trade

get taste

It was good but I like Vision more

It was my favourite DC comic of the year but anything with fill in artists and editorial mandates is never going to be as good as a fantagraphics comic or a koyama / d&q comic. My favourite of the year is Big Kids

I liked it, but I liked Midnighter quite a bit more.

I really love that he did The Omega Men. It got nowhere near enough love when it was coming out. There is a dimension of the symmetry that feeds into the cycle of oppression the comic's plot deals with, which I thought might be highlighted, and there's a lot to say on the writing in relation to William James book-ending everything too but that's probably outside the scope of this vid.

Definitely my favorite superhero comic. It's structure alone puts it above King's other works. Plus, King was consistently putting out some great single issues with it, each better than the predecessor.

Issue 9 was one of my favourite floppy issues. The panel countdown makes you have this clock ticking (the video mentions how each page is regulated and feels about the same length of time) until spread which has impact because you flip the page over and see it and realise the countdown was for a bomb. Not everything feels written for the single issue like that anymore.

One of those superhero books that sort of feels too smart. When I read the first issue I had to go back and read it again. Didn't make it simple for a reader.

But I mean, isn't that what DC You wanted to be? Just writers and artists throwing out what they wanted to do - maybe it wasn't gonna sell.

Hell on that topic it would be fun to see this guy tackle ACO's paneling in Midnighter.

the trade sold badly too.

Reminder that Squirrel girl got an eisner nod for art over this book.

He did it, the absolute madman.
Thnx op, I was the one who suggested you to do this video in Last thread and job very well done.
This . This is the King's work that he put most work in. I know he does stuff like the vision or Grayson issue where there's a heavy use of continuity but he also has editors to help him out and frankly it doesn't take nearly as much effort as it does in Omega Men. For example in Omega Men King is drawing each issue's layouts himself and he has to think way ahead of time in terms of layouts. The amount of work he put in this series makes it my favorite and I'm so glad people however few noticed that. It'd probably encourage him to try this kind of experimental storytelling in his future works too.

The trade is to be released in August.

Cool video. I checked out some of the other's on the channel, and I really liked the one on Moon Knight as well.

Omega Men wasn't aggressively liberal enough to get awards.

>pandering to Sup Forums
This will inevitably implode, but I appreciate it in the meantime.

Oh shit, I just read the New Titans issues with these guys, and their series is basically a punchline in Ambush Bug, so I thought they wer a long time ago. Cool.

*they were forgotten

Dangit

There was a series in the mid-00s (I want to say 2008, actually?) that ran for no time at all but had Henry Flint on art and was pretty interesting. And their major series was in the 80s, I believe.

Bump. Great video. Love The Omega Men :)

I'm sure he was going to make the video regardless but yeah I did encourage him.

Bump

I normally don't like the strict 9 panel grid in comics, it feels far too structured and rigid...very lifeless to me. But that's cool what King was doing with slowly decreasing panels and then building them back up.

This guy has the best comic channel on youtube

Eisner? I thought it was just a Harvey. What the fuck.

Both.
>Omega Men never got the award recognition
>It sold like shit
I think it's partly the reason King is playing so safe on Batman. At least we got this to look forward to.
twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/750470231118651392

L.E.G.I.O.N.

2008 8-issue mini. Weird and very 2000AD and it sank like a stone.

It really was trying to be a smart book but aside from partly silent issue 1 and this page, it wasn't in your face smart. Grayson Future's End is in your face smart book by King.

>read the first issue when it came out
>wasn't a huge fan
>five months later google to see if the series is still alive
>it is, and getting critical acclaim
downloading it right now. Gonna hate that feeling you get when you smack yourself for being stupid

Yeah, the point of DCYou was essentially to not worry too much about floppy sales because they were hoping to sell the trade by word of mouth, which is actually something Marvel has been somewhat successful at with Ms. Marvel and some others, and DC has been with Batgirl and Gotham Academy.

That's why Didio was so sure about committing to 12 issues for each series. Two trades apiece.

But then floppy sales for those books were so bad that no one was reading them to spread the word, and the books that were supposed to sell steadily like Superman and Batman (despite obviously being written for trade as well) weren't selling enough to keep the others afloat, so they hit the panic button and called Johns.

The first two issues are pretty dense and benefit from re-reading but after that it's easier to digest

Read this before starting the series.
comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/dc-sneak-peek-the-omega-men-dc-comics-2015
It's a slow burn but it's a very layered book with deep character study and thematic exploration of religion and terrorism. Very bleak and great stuff all around.

I never liked that ending. It seems like he's suddenly breaking the fourth wall and I can't see an in-story explanation for why he starts talking about comics all of a sudden.

His voice is sexy.

It has thematic relevance to the story.

>it sank like a stone
weird art, weird tone, niche property - kinda inevitable. I don't think the writer was a 2000AD guy though

NGL that is part of the appeal.

Hi JSAnon

Of course it does. It's still 4th wall bullshit out of nowhere.

not me this time!

King is an experimenter. He has been really pushing the formate of episodic formats and using monthly's to try something new with almost each issue. Look at Visions, every issue has a very different theme, tone and style.

Not all of his experiments are going to work but you have to give him points for continually trying new ideas. If he keeps this up and doesn't suddenly become complacent and lazy a la Bendis, he will be in the greats with Moore, Ellis, Morrison and Gaiman.

Omega Men always seemed like something more was going on. Some of it was obvious but interesting to see that video. Some things I didn't notice.

Yeah this book is pretty layered.

Storytime?

I've tried to read this a handful of times but I've never got past the fourth issue. Maybe it would be easier if it was a trade and I could hold it but there's just way too much information.

I don't have this problem with Sheriff of Babylon or Vision or Grayson

well the trade comes out in August

All on Comixology. It's definitely a book that needs a bit of reading and re-reading. Took me a while to get past even just the first issue but was worth it.

It really well constructed. I'm sure it could have gone on longer, but it felt exactly right for the 12 issues it got.

Bump

It's so well done that he used the 12 issues we got (in part by getting mad at Didio) and it left enough open that a successor series could be done--like a non-annoying/hackneyed way to work the 'season' model.

Squirrel Girl got both nominations.

I don't know if I want a successor desu.

I honestly think the season model would be so much better. If you wanted to keep on-going titles you could always have 6 months of Superior Spiderman then 6 months of Friendly Neighborhood Spiderman or something. It means you aren't running books at the same time so loss of earnings which is why it would never happen... but a concentrated run seems like a more solid idea to me, creatively.

Theoretically the seasonal model should work for comics, and a lot of Image books use it to good effect

but when Marvel and DC do it, DC's sell so poorly they get canned after 6 issues and Marvel interrupts theirs with crossovers and event tie ins 4 issues in so you don't get solid, uninterrupted, tightly planned arcs, you just get a mess

Image has got something good with the "Do an arc then take a month off and release a trade" cycle that's becoming popular

That might mean you actually get all your issues from the artist, too.

Only better comic released in the last 12 months has been Sheriff of Babylon.

>use it to good effect
Not really, a lot of them get canceled after 20 issue at most(despite plans for 50+). Also, the seasonal model sucks for comics because you egt one issue/month so thatmeans that at msot you'll get 12 issues in an entire year or in rare cases 13(annual). 12 issues in an entire year is not much and for a 70 issue run to complete that means 6 years and six year is a long time in real life. Then if you add delays and "seasonal model, you'll end up having to wait an entire decade to reach the ending to a 50 issue run. Also, unlike tv shows, a comic book run is an entire series, most tv shows aren't as focused throughout it's entire run..

Yeah I guess. It was a shame Starve finished after only 10 episodes... Don't think that took a break either, did it?

This

I actually felt this one came across a little less sharply focused than the others, probably because it was an outside recommendation.

If you wanna compare to the Hawkeye one I think that has a much tighter focus - really on a single page - and there's more familiarity with the material and what it wants to say. Maybe I'm just reading into things though.

*tips fedora*

Interesting though that King has both the best-selling comic (Batman) and the worst-selling (Omega Men) in the same month...

Capes are more fedora tho, the only fedora guy in that scene is seth and hes still more talented than 99% of big 2 creators

trade isnt out yet you fucking idiot

Kyle was a comic book artist, and he is trying to reflect back onto simpler times. Talk to someone who has had combat experience, and they sometimes go on weird tangents like that.

learn to read user

Will the trade cost less than buying every issue on comixology?

>Was this not everyone's favorite superhero comic this year?
Nope

Copra
DK: Last Crusade
and Spawn by Erik Larsen

>THE OMEGA MEN: THE END IS HERE TP
>Written by TOM KING
>Art by BARNABY BAGENDA, TOBY CYPRESS and IG GUARA
>Cover by TREVOR HUTCHISON
>The Omega Men are back in an all-new series! They’ve murdered White Lantern Kyle Rayner, and now the universe wants them to pay! Who are these intergalactic criminals—and is there more to their actions than meets the eye? The entire, acclaimed 12-issue series is collected here!
>On sale AUGUST 24 • 288 pg, FC, $24.99 US

>24.99
>16 dollars right now on amazon
Go add up the comixology prices and see

Thank you friend, I just picked it up!

Even in emerald dawn kyle was a comic book artist, its always been a part of his character. I wish grant had done animal man as a kyle story desu

Not him but most of the issues are probably 1.99 now on Comixology so it's about the same as MSRP (23.98), give or take a dollar if the last issue isn't discounted yet.

I would get the trade though because digital media rights are kind of bullshit.

IT wasn't a superhero comic and it was depressing as hell.

it definitely was a superhero comic, Kyle Reyner was a white lantern superhero who led a rebellion.

>Capes
>More fedora than Fantagraphics
Are you high

No, go to your lcs and see what kind of people are buying batman

As opposed to the elitist hipsters buying Fanta?

it's depressing is what it is