Is he overrated? Is The Thing overrated here?

Is he overrated? Is The Thing overrated here?

No and no. His output took a downturn in the 90s but his stuff from the 70s and 80s is nearly all good to great.

>is john carpenter overrated

I love him just thought it'd be an interesting thread

In The Mouth of Madness is the overrated one.

>the movie nobody talks about is overrated

you mean underrated and ahead of his time

Gets mentioned all the time, especially in muh lovelycrafts threads.
Prince of Darkness is the one I see mentioned the least, and even that had a whole thread dedicated to it yesterday.

he is extremely overrated
The Thing however is not overrated. The Thing is a masterpiece. Everything else Carpenter has touched is shit.

that doesn't mean it's not underrated. Nobody outside of lovecraft threads on this board ever talks about Mouth of Madness

It's pretty underrated desu. No one mixes psychological drama/horror with masculinity anymore. Just screaming girls and overconfident boyfriends.

Because it's garbage.

You mean underappreciated in that case. It's a very flawed film.

That's not They Live

Don't you have to be known to be overrated, JC is a cult director.

Whatever you know what i mean. Fuck off.

no and definitely not.

if anything he's underrated

Masters of Horror: Pro Life is fucking amazing

Asking a question like that not only makes you look like a complete a---hole but also a giant knob.

Achievement unlocked.

Like I said earlier Carpenter is my favorite director just thought this would be an interesting question

I see The Thing posted here more than any other Carpenter movie and that includes Halloween.

Not an interesting question.
But credit I will give.

Asking for an analytical explanation/discussion about what made him such a great director in the 70s and 80s might have been a better one.

Carpenter wears many hats when creating a film. It's when all hats are worn equally that he makes magic happen.

Every thread here about him is sucking his dick. Just thought it'd be fun to give people that don't like him a chance.

He's made a bunch of shit movies, but his best are legit classics.

If you ask about any of his movies pre-90s all you'll get is dick sucking.

Kind of and definitely. He made some cool action movies and a couple of solid horror/action movies. He's no master of either.