How were they allowed to get away with this in a kids show?

How were they allowed to get away with this in a kids show?

Other urls found in this thread:

steven-universe.wikia.com/wiki/Thread:26487
youtube.com/watch?v=iXYmFqEkCGQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

ruby looks like a dude and is voiced by a girl who is regularly mistaken for a dude
also, aliums

LESBIANS?

IN *MY* CHILD'S PROGRAMMING??

oh no, kissing

Are you really surprised, OP? When cartoons have been pushing the same bullshit since the 80s?

You mean that's not a red dude right there?

It's >the current year, op.

people kiss all the time in cartoons. why cant aliens?

>PROGRAMMING
Exactly

Uh, hello? Buddy, we are in 2016. *knock knock* Where are you from, sillyhead?

Do these two have a personality besides being gay?

Because no one watches Steven Universe.

This was a successfull BAIT

Only the red one.

Nobody but menchildren and womenchildren.

You tell me

>implying anyone reads squirrelgirl

most people in the western world are indifferent to gays at this point

really i don't care if you wanna make a character gay then make it as you want

ruby has horrible self esteem, self worth issues, is violent, has a bad temper, holds grudges

sapphire stifles all feelings to appear more reasonable. she's logical but also passive aggressive.

red oni vs blue oni pretty much.

It wasn't on the lips.

That's it.

By personality you mean "slightly angry but who cares let's go back to fucki-I mean fusing"

Yeah Ruby, Jasper and Steven are the only male Crystal Gems

Barely

>ruby has horrible self esteem, self worth issues, is violent, has a bad temper, holds grudges
Are you seriously padding to make her seem like she has more personality than she actually does?

All that basically boils down to is "she's angry"

>poor self esteem = anger
but that's retarded user
I get what you're saying, self worth issues = self esteem and violent+bad temper = angry, but what you're saying is wrong

Gay men = bad

Gay women = hot

Because diversity is good.

am I supposed to be seeing something?
am I colorblind?

> it begins

Nothing to see there.

>self worth issues = self esteem
And how much of this has she potrayed

You seem desperate to hate these characters. Is there something you want to tell us?

Answer the question m8

Plenty
In her first appearance she seems broken and lost and goes on about how she doesn't know what to do without Sapphire
In the flashback she's constantly doubting herself and her actions, particularly because she often doesn't think about what she does before she does it, so she wonders if she should regret her actions

Which is why Sapphire is a good fit for her, Ruby is constantly crippled by not knowing what to do and Sapphire is bored of constantly knowing what she will do

Well, because nobody cares about you or your delicate little feelings.

>In her first appearance she seems broken and lost and goes on about how she doesn't know what to do without Sapphire
That's basically more proof "gay" is her only personality

>In the flashback she's constantly doubting herself and her actions, particularly because she often doesn't think about what she does before she does it, so she wonders if she should regret her actions
And this is really fucking reaching

>Plenty
>2 scenes

People do, unfortunately.

you mixed up Ruby and Amethyst

Nothing wrong with giving your best friend a friendly kiss.

>That's basically more proof "gay" is her only personality
I thought her personality was just "angry"

>And this is really fucking reaching
Even if it was written poorly to the point where their personalities were hard to see, it wouldn't change the fact that they have personalities that were intended to be the way I described them
But here's a transcript of a narration directly from the episode
> Sapphire had known every moment of her life. How it would happen, and when. But because of Ruby's impulsive gesture, she suddenly jumped the track of fate, and everything from that instant on was wrong, and new.

>2 episodes
>out of 3 episode appearances
you're right, plenty isn't the best word to describe the amount of evidence compared to how many scenes there are in steven universe
but it's more than enough to adequately describe the characters

nice reaction image

>Ruby: What kind of Ruby am I supposed to be? Look at this! It's my fault you're stranded here. How am I gonna save you?

>Sapphire: You already did.

>Ruby: What!?

>you're right, plenty isn't the best word to describe the amount of evidence
Then don't fucking use it

>Then don't fucking use it
calm down
not everything has to be incredibly literal
here's where I'd call you autistic for not understanding subtleties and non-literal/abstract notions
but I won't because I'm above it

>I thought her personality was just "angry"
The OP was asking what their personality was besides being gay, and you didn't really help the case

>Even if it was written poorly to the point where their personalities were hard to see, it wouldn't change the fact that they have personalities that were intended to be the way I described them
Extremely one dimensional

>ruby telling sapphire who cares when asked about how she was
>the answer shows that rubies are expendable while sapphires are rare and more valuable
>ruby feels guilty about trapping sapphire on earth but doesn't seem to care she's stuck there herself

>The OP was asking what their personality was besides being gay
No he wasn't

>and you didn't really help the case
I didn't help your case because you're too thick to accept anything that is positive concerning steven universe

>Extremely one dimensional
Example right here
You're moving the goalposts because you've been shown that the characters have personalities that aren't just one thing so now you're criticizing the quality of the personality

You haven't even made an argument, you're just denying everything I'm saying because you don't have anything to back up your flimsy claim

>but I won't because I'm above it
>On Sup Forums

If you don't want to be on Sup Forums anymore then the shortcut is Ctrl+W

>No he wasn't
>You're moving the goalposts because you've been shown that the characters have personalities that aren't just one thing
They are just one thing though
The self esteem argument just leads right back to the OP

>I didn't help your case because you're too thick to accept anything that is positive concerning steven universe
Ah here's the fucking problem.

Back to /sug/ faggot

Except even if she's one dimensional as fuck her personality is still "angry" if anything not "gay." She's not even really gay per se.

isn't the OP, or if he is, we wouldn't know
at the very least, the question wasn't posed in the Original Post

Uh how is Disney able to get away with all the hidden messages in their movies? oh right the same way as Steven Universe with money

Not that guy but even if she is angry and gay that's two things? Like Sapphire is calm and collected and gay?

Neither are major characters either. If you think say Pearl's personality is just gay then you're being willfully ignorant and refusing to see anything but a preconceived idea of what you want to see.

You still haven't actually produced an argument
You're still just insulting the show, being negative, and denying everything that's being said while pretending you're still in the right

Not him but in Hit the Diamond she showed next to no anger in the whole fucking episode, it was all fawning over Sapphire

That's seems really gay to me m8

>being negative

>Sup Forums is a hivemind
>Sup Forums is a hivemind
I don't really feel like posting a reaction image, but that's dumb

She was more nervous and incompetent that episode than anything though.

She's only ever been attracted to one person so she could be space bisexual or something, who knows.

I think we both know why OP

Same way Disney and WB has gotten away with shit in their cartoons: they shit out money.

Does the Tumblr audience really bring in the ratings?

Yeah, okay. Show me one example, on the same level of SU's leafiest, of this type of shit from the 80's.

Fuck off.

This is in no way official but it seems like SU is hitting the right demographic

steven-universe.wikia.com/wiki/Thread:26487

IE the one that has their parents pay for television instead of just downloading things off the internet

>leafiest
Lezfest

Damn autocorrect.

>here's where I'd call you autistic
>but I won't because I'm above it
I don't think you belong here

Why even complain about it, it's mostly prime time anyway.

>Yeah, okay. Show me one example, on the same level of SU's leafiest, of this type of shit from the 80's.

literally who cares. what are you, a neo-conservative prude? what website do you think you're on

>All that basically boils down to is "she's angry"

This is acceptable in my book considering that she's literally half of a main character and only briefly appears every couple dozen episodes.

Times are changing.

They didn't in Europe

no one complains when a japanese cartoon does it

You may be. I am legit slightly colorblind and that looks like multicolored dots to me. No shape or pattern.

>WIFE'S CHILD'S
ftfy

Course, it could be one of the ones that actually don't have a discernible pattern that they throw in as a control.

FAGGOTS?
IN *MY* CHILD'S PROGRAMMING??

Do gems even have genders?

Because SU needed an edge to make it seem more progressive and by that merit deep.

In the end SU is basically a few lazy tropes and ideas stolen from some westernly successful anime and than filtered through a CalArts hamfisted lens.

>CalArts
Name one person who went to CalArts who works/worked on SU, spoiler: You cant

You seem to be the one overly-concerned. I want simply challenging that user's bullshit claim. Stay triggered.

There's a reason the SU fanbase is hated more than AT's. Kek

It's just a shorthand for the Modern American animation style that is hypersimplistic and blobby.

>user makes claim
>Other user challenges it
>"OMG WHOOOOO CARES?!!! it's CURRENT YEAR! What are you, a CONSERVATIVE??!"
And I thought the Sup Forums=Tumblr allegations were just bull.

Are we going to have the same old fucking thread every day now, Sup Forums?

Okay, yeah, now I see why SUfags are hated so much.

Are you faggots gonna continue to be triggered and baited? That's the real question.

Did you never watch Captain Planet?
That entire show was more hamfisted about it's barely thought-out political position than SU could hope to be.

We wouldn't want the Muslims to be offended.

This thread isn't about politics in cartoons. Don't try to stretch it.

because it's 2016

youtube.com/watch?v=iXYmFqEkCGQ

>All that basically boils down to is "she's angry"
Now hold on a fucking minute I'm calling bullshit.

There is a large difference between "angry" and "angry because of another personality trait".

The latter is definitely a more dimensional characterization than the former.

Reminder that Sailor Moon had two lesbian characters and CN aired it back in the 90's.

>inb4 but the dub said they were cousins so that one scene were the were basically shown fucking doesn't count

What, two characters kissing? That's not particularly unusual. Though it's true that generally only parents in cartoons do get to be lovey-dovey and characters from the actual main ensemble generally suffer from eternal "will-they-won't-they" purgatories, I guess.

BUT

THEY'RE

BOTH

GIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRLS

they're an alien species where everyone is female so they're gay by default

Like how Namekians are permavirgins by default since they are all male and reproduce asexually.

Also they have strange powers, can regenerate from serious injury and are able to fuse together to increase their strength.

Can't Rebecca Sugar do anything original?

Taking existing things and interpreting them in different ways is kind of how all of art has worked forever.

First, since gay marriage is nationally legal, shouldn't that basically end the taboo of gay folks in children's programming? People arguing against it might as well be arguing that you shouldn't show black people.

Second, does the Bible actually say anything specifically about lesbos? I know there's the line about men shouldn't bang men as they would a woman blah blah and that God hates sex in the butt, but nothing about clam kissing.

I have 2 IRL friends who do.