How come more people speak the fucking Welsh than Scottish and Irish?

How come more people speak the fucking Welsh than Scottish and Irish?

It's supported more, Welsh kids learn Welsh in school, all the signs are in both English and Welsh, the BBC do a lot of shit in Welsh. not the same support for Gaelic.

hjddsbvbbvcbnmxxbbnmds sdfasaggfghghhjrrtbvc fvsfffghshthfxcghfgjj

Because scots are cucks.

Does it have anything to do with how how Wales was incorporated into the ""united"" kingdom?

oidwdkwwdkw? WOndwkdwwkdw wdkmwdw wdmwd! Wdjwkndwdw???

Hiraeth

We do the same for Irish, doesn't stop people from being too lazy to speak it.

My sister was forced to speak Welsh when she was in school many years ago, so I'm willing to bet a lot of other schools did the same.

was optional in my school up north (only started in secondary) and i was a dumb runt who didn't take it at 12
hate it

If people don't seem to speak Irish in Ireland on a regular basis, how exactly do they practice speaking? Do they go to random Gaeilge-only cafes and hope for the best?

Conversation circles pretty much, yeah. Even in the major Irish speaking areas people default to English.

Welsh deserve to preserve their language, they struggle to preserve it and fight for their autonomy. And they don't give a fuck what "I don't need this useless language, English is spoken worldwide while Welsh is a fucking provincial language!"-tier dumbasses say.

Long live Wales! Cheers from the Alania.

On the contrary, Irish people are fucking cucks.

And as far as I know, there is NO such thing as Scottish language. Scottish Gaelic was brought here by Irish "colonists" (not the proper word for them, but let it be). Their native Celtic language is long dead.

Kek, they do it much like Ossetians, Tatars and other dudes in Russia do. I mean, they don't.

You mean Pictish and Cumbric? We don't even know if Pictish was even Celtic to begin with.

Yeah, I mean them.

I read some Scottish journalist's article some time ago where he whined about how they push Gaelic language everywhere in Scotland, even though it always was only spoken in the highlands and never was native for the Lowland Scots. He said they only do it for tourists to show how "not English" they are and give them more reasons to spend their money here.

I don't know how legit it is, but I guess he knows it better.

Thank you Russian friend

>Irish people are fucking cucks.
Your passport says Russia, not Ossetia. You're the cuck. Also our language has already hit it's nadir, there are now more young native speakers than old, even factoring in population growth during that time.

>Scottish Gaelic was brought here by Irish "colonists" (not the proper word for them, but let it be). Their native Celtic language is long dead.
Gaels have been in Scotland since before the Rus' were in Russia, and the Gaelic kingdom of Scotland existed before Muscovy or Kiev or any of the other Rus' cities. The Picts are as irrelevant to modern Scotland as the Iranics are to modern Russia.

It's a meme, Gaelic was spoken everywhere except for Lothian at one point, tand most importantly the country was founded by the Gaels. Pictish and Cumbric peoples lived on the land that is now Scotland, but they were not Scots. The word Scot literally means Gael in Latin

>Also our language has already hit it's nadir, there are now more young native speakers than old, even factoring in population growth during that time.
>implying L2 speakers and Gaelscoil children are any sort of meaningful survival when the Gaeltacht are at their death knells

>implying L2 speakers and Gaelscoil children are any sort of meaningful survival when the Gaeltacht are at their death knells
It means native speakers. Problem is they will probably grow up speaking the Soydeán Oifigiúil and not superior Connacht Irish

welsh are top lads in my personal experiene

Garu di

Exactly, it'll be fake Irish. It won't be their primary language either, just a hobbyist trait rather than anything used in a community setting.

there is no scottish language
gaelic is a paddy meme

Has to start somewhere

without critical mass it can't sustain

>It's a meme, Gaelic was spoken everywhere except for Lothian at one point, tand most importantly the country was founded by the Gaels. Pictish and Cumbric peoples lived on the land that is now Scotland, but they were not Scots. The word Scot literally means Gael in Latin
South-West Scotland (including Edinburgh), which is the most populous and relevant part of the country, was part of the Kingdom of Northumbria for centuries and English was later reintroduced through the Anglicisation/Normanisation policies of David I.
Gaelic was undoubtedly much more widely spoken, but English is also native to the people of Scotland, as a huge chunk of their ancestors were Anglo-Saxons

How exactly could this critical mass be reached? I imagine that content in Irish such as videos/music/films would interest people in the language but if there isn't a big enough potential audience, any endeavor in this field would either be catering to a niche audience or end up failing.

Honestly it's a little sad seeing the language in this zombie state, where's it's not quite dead nor quite alive

bump

There are still some native Scots-Gaelic speakers in the Canadian Maritimes.

>South-West Scotland (including Edinburgh), which is the most populous and relevant part of the country, was part of the Kingdom of Northumbria for centuries and English was later reintroduced through the Anglicisation/Normanisation policies of David I.
True though Lothian wasn't as important at the time.

>Gaelic was undoubtedly much more widely spoken, but English is also native to the people of Scotland, as a huge chunk of their ancestors were Anglo-Saxons
Also true, I won't weigh in on the Scots vs English debate but either way Anglic languages have a very long history in Scotland.

>without critical mass it can't sustain
It has been so far. We are only seeing the first generations of non-Gaeltacht children being native Irish speakers and we don't know what that will look like. In other language revival communities, children raised by L2 speakers are not discernably worse than those raised by L1 speakers.

Wales is a real nation, despite what foreigners might think. The fact their language still exists after almost a thousand years of English rule proves the resilience of the Welsh people. Strong military traditions too, they were the only Celts in Britain to have ever beat a Roman legion, and were historically highly valued as archers in the English military, with the English longbow being a Welsh creation. The Royal Navy also employed a large number of Welshmen during the height of the empire, and more than a few pirates were of Welsh descent. The Welsh deserve more respect, they're the only natives left on this island. The English are Danes/Germans and the Scots are Irish/English. Good people the Welsh, proud to share the same country as them.

THE WELSH ARE THE FUCKING BEST

WE'LL TAKE OVER THIS FUCKING BOARD

YOU'LL SEE

i hope you will get independence

What's the difference between the Welsh and Brits from Devon and Cornwall?

Gaelic was native in the vast majority of Scotland until about 1300s-1400s when it started to die out in the lowlands. The anti Gaelic meme is a thing among the dullest kind of self hating scotsman

I don't know about those places.

But what I do know is that Wales is the best

>Welsh speakers
>people

>Irish
>People

We basically need at least a third of a community insisting upon using Irish, rather than merely habitually using it. This doesn't even happen in the so-called Gaeltacht, everybody just speaks English unless they know each other well.

The only way for this mass to be reached is the will of people. The government does fail Irish speakers by failing to live up to its commitments and making dealing with the state through Irish a headache. Ultimately however it simply comes down to Irish people just not having the will. Some Irish people are outright antipathetic to people speaking Irish that they will brand you a stuck up prick for merely using it. In turn Irish speakers would rather smoother social cohesion than insisting upon using it and coming off as a prick.

The death of the Gaeltacht areas means Irish speakers will have no natural centres where they can speak the language as a matter of course. Instead it will just by hobbyists sprinkled around the country, and that means spontaneous use of Irish is impossible.

Of course the Irish wouldn't know what "people" means. It only makes sense.