I've been feeling in the mood for some Asian gang films. What would y'all recommend...

I've been feeling in the mood for some Asian gang films. What would y'all recommend? Also feel free to use this as a discussion thread for em too.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zEJfx0z8DUc
youtube.com/watch?v=3Hlsflg0W_E
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

A Bittersweet Life
New World

I like Outrage but they are very basic, even Beat Takeshi admits that they are designed to be purely entertaining. I don't like the last halfs of both films where it's just a compilation of characters being shot to death with no resistance. I like Sonatine the best out of his Yakuza films.

that's just the first that came to my mind. Sonatine is the one where they hide out on the beach and fuck around with fireworks right? If it is then yeah it was pretty great.

>three great recommendations immediately
good thread, I'll throw in A Better Tomorrow which is my favorite of John Woo's films

Thanks I'll check em out.

I haven't actually seen any of John woo's Chinese films. How do they hold up against the ones he made in America?

The strength of his early Hong Kong films is their comfortable simplicity and being driven by themes that are straight as an arrow. Something about them leads you to believe that the whole cast and crew were really having fun making them. Way better than his movies in America.

That sounds pretty similar to Jackie chan, which would be awesome since Jackies Chinese films are a lot more enjoyable than most of him American ones.

*his

Yeah, it along with Hana-bi are pretty much considered his greatest films. Hana-bi isn't a yakuza film though so I didn't mention it.

I'd still check it out for based Takeshi

That's true, but OP might still like Hana-bi. Beat does go out and cause some mayhem. And I reckon Hana-bi is better because he is doing it all for love.

I know I asked for just crime films but fuck it I'm also down for takeshi recommendations.

This one is my favorite of Takeshi's

Election

Drug War

Real talk, why is Takeshi so fucking cool?

I feel like a lot of it comes from being a comedian. But honestly maybe it's just because he's so based.

Constant poker face that involves half of his facial muscles never moving, and also being genuinely passionate and good at his craft
Kind of mediocre, i appreciated its approach and a few of the actors performances but in the end it didn't do it for me.

This and Triad Election/Election 2 (2006)
youtube.com/watch?v=zEJfx0z8DUc
youtube.com/watch?v=3Hlsflg0W_E

Johnnie To is pretty underrated here

What DID she hit him for?

whats the name of that one on Hawaii?

The highlight of Drug War is definitely the final shootout.
Everything else is so-so but still enjoyable.

Cuz a bitch iz a bitch

Righteous

Are there any that are specifically focused on the triad or are yakuza and Korean gangs where it's at?

I consider a company man to be a must see. Definitely one of the better crime films in my opinion desu.

Just rewatched Brother recently it was good

Play Yakuza 0 it's vidyakino

Kino

Beat Takeshi is in the newest one

Watched takashi miike's dead or alive last night, fuckin great. Gonna watch the second tonight which I usually hear people call his magnum opus or whatever gay shit.

It's definitely better than the first one. The third one is kinda shit.
If anything is his magnum opus it's Audition

I've been interested in the yakuza games but never actually played them. Closest I've gotten is sleeping dogs which is pretty fucking good imo.

Three is better even if gets a bit hammy near the end

pic related is pure nipkino by the way

just wanna back OP up

Sleeping Dogs is great, but the writing for Yakuza is on a whole other level. Definitely check it out, can start with 0 and the Yakuza 1 remake is coming out soon as well

Kickass man I'll check it out.

>Constant poker face that involves half of his facial muscles never moving

Who knew getting partial paralysis on one side of your face would only enhance your already iconic performance?

Brother was my first Kitano film. Recently got the "uncut" version