Twin Peaks

So I've started watching Twin Peaks since a lot of people said it's good. I'm up to episode 5 as of right now.

I don't see why people like it so far. There is some really bad editing. Also, people act too weird. Everyone acts like they have autism or something. Is there something in the water that makes them act like this? Does this show get any better?

Beat me to it

>bad editing
Can you elaborate on this? Or do you not even knowing what editing is

Fuck off normie retards, and take your shitty reddit memes with you.

First season is just too comfy to hate really

OP here again. What the fuck is this guy's problem?! I don't mean motivation though. He acts like he has autism. He just acts way too goddamn strange.

There is no need to get flustered

It's just Lynch's style of dialogue. Believe me, the dialogue can get much odder in other works of his

Okay, I'll point out the example I mean. Episode 2. This scene where they just overlay Laura's face over this girl. It looks really bad.

And yes, I do know what editing is. I've done plenty of stuff with Final Cut, Adobe, and Sony Vegas. I understand that at the time that Twin Peaks was made they didn't really have the same technology, but I still think it was done quite poorly at some sections.

He's a fundamentally good person who's trying to act like a hardass, he's actually one of the best characters in the show.

What's so bad about that? It doesn't look right in a still image, but it's just a second in a moving image, and it's not supposed to look right anyway. It's just showing you that a grieving character is imagining her daughter's face in the face of her peer. It's not like you are personally supposed to believe it's Laura.

He is Bobby. He longs for funny.

god I love bobby. I just wanna hug him and bake him some pie :')

can i share with you guys a vision

It looks even worse when it's moving. Anywya, you don't need to show Laura's face on her to get that the mother is hallucinating out of grief. They could've left out the face, let the mother act the same but make it obvious that she's hallucinating that she's her daughter. It would look much better. When they overlay that face, and since it looks so face, it makes me believe that THIS is what the mother is seeing. And if what I'm seeing looks really fake then I have to believe that the mother is seeing something that looks really fake as well.

first impression i didn't think much of bobby. but by the end of season 2 hes one of my fav characters. that scene with his father in the dinner when he talks about that vision, shits powerful.

>tfw he's not clearly living a life of deep harmony and joy

But why was he barking like a lunatic in that jail cell? And why did he scream AAAAAAAAAMEN at Laura's funeral like he has down syndrome? I'm not questioning his motivations. I just don't understand why he does everything so awkwardly.

every teen at that age is a massive awkward fuck. he just has confidence to strut around like he wants

>>But why was he barking like a lunatic in that jail cell?
Trying to be tough and freak out James.

>And why did he scream AAAAAAAAAMEN at Laura's funeral like he has down syndrome?
He thought everyone at the funeral were acting like hypocritical idiots so he acted out.

Bobby dindu nuffin

the thing about Lynch's editing is that he doesn't seem to care about it looking good. Basically he thinks "we should show Laura's face over this other character" and then that, verbatim, is what we see. It's jarring which is why I personally like it, I find it unsettling, but I also understand why it's off-putting.

my friend, now i have to ask

have you ever seen a piece of american tv from the 1980s

So I'm on season 2 episode 10 or 11 (the one where we find out who Laura's killer is).

I'm about to hit that stretch of bad episodes everyone talks about. I'm having trouble finding the motivation to watch. Is it really that bad?

The Nadine stuff is surprisingly compelling, and you get some decent Briggs stuff. Also best girl Denise.

No, I mean, I get that he's trying to call everyone at the funeral out. I just don't understand why every actions he does seems like the most awkward way he could've done it. Just read his damn body language. He keeps zipping and unzipping his jacket. And when he tries to freak someone out, like that jail scene, he just makes me laugh instead. He always looks like he's trying to seem tough but ends up looking like he has autism instead.

just fast forward the james scenes. everything else is worth watching to me anyways.

It's not. Imagine it like a decent little spinoff show.

Are you familiar with Days of our Lives or any other daytime soaps?

Twin Peaks is a satire/subversion of those kinds of shows, it's essentially a really fucked up ghost story/supernatural thriller told and shot in soap format with little sprinkles of absurdity, you shouldn't take it at face value.

It would make more sense if you grew up in the 80's or early 90's and had exposure to those kinds of shows, TV has largely moved past that now.

Bobby is not a tough person so it's reasonable to laugh at his attempts at toughness.

im in the same boat
i stopped watching when they flooded the cast with tons of new faces

OH I WISH I WAS IN THE LAND OF COTTON

i literally cry every time.

that scene and into the light leland make me cry like a baby

This. While I was watching I had a mental list of characters who I gave zero fucks about and James was neck and neck with Bobby for the top spot.
The "bad episodes" are terrible, but it is a noticeable departure from the first half. Some plot lines are hype though.

*aren't terrible
whoops

>He always looks like he's trying to seem tough but
Going to cut you off before you start memeing, but basically this. Have you never encountered someone who is awkward or uncomfortable, so they're just loud? He's an attractive guy on the football team who was dating the homecoming queen, except she was actually a drug-addicted whore and he got into some bad shit to support her.

Also just watch scenes with him and his father. Briggs is great and understands a lot of what is going on and deeply cares for Bobby, but he's not very outwardly emotional, and so you can see how Bobby wouldn't have learned to be good with his emotions. Watch the scene from .

Tried it, gave it a far shot, dropped it.
Around the time the black haired teen (I forget her name) was working undercover in the whorehouse owned by her father IIRC.
Am I missing a great deal by not bothering to continue? I'd already sunk about 15-20 hours into it and it didn't appeal to me.

People exxagerate how bad it got. There are some silly or unnecessary storylines,but the good definitely outweighs the bad. And the payoff is amazing. And season 3 is pure KINO

I think if you weren't interested by then, then it just wasn't for you. I was pretty attached at that point.

If it didn't appeal to you, then probably not. At least you gave it a shot.
If you want to try Lynch again with something shorter watch Blue Velvet or Mulholland Drive, which work with the same themes. The former has a lot of the same characteristics as Twin Peaks.

>sunk 15-20 hours into watching 7-8 hours of content

i say let him miss out. Not everyone's gonna like the same thing no matter what.

50 minute episodes that whorehouse thing happens around ep 8?

It was around episode 13 I got to, looking up a list of episodes. Also watched the garbage "fire, walk with me" So 15 hours is fairly close. Not really missing out if I didn't enjoy it.

She leaves either end of episode 7 or beginning of episode 8. I feel like he would know if he started season 2 (episode 9). But yeah, if you don't care about the characters at that point, just leave it. Maybe try again at some point in the future if you really care, and maybe you'll be more in the mood for what it's offering.

>watching the movie before watching the show
nigga what

I torrented it and had no prior knowledge about the show other than it being recommended all the time here, and just watched the first file.

The movie is an epilogue to the first two season of the show, even though it takes place in the past. You spoiled the show for yourself and had no clue what was going on because the movie assumes the viewer has actively watched the show.

>You spoiled the show for yourself
Perhaps, but it was unintentional. I still gave the show a fair shot and wasn't enthralled by much of it. The story lines I found interesting were few and far between.

>FWWM
>garbage

user...

>It is a satire subversion of soap operas.
Nope, it's a goddamn low budget soap opera. I got about to where OP did. Episode 5 (and pilot).

It's fucking terrible. It's like each episode was filmed with a 50 dollar budget and only one take per scene.

And it's just fucking STUPID. I have an idea, lets have the FBI man see if he can solve the crime by throwing rocks at bottles with the ENTIRE POLICE FORCE going on with it like this is a normal way to solve a murder mystery.

I think this is only a memeshow because it's a turd that *should* have been forgotten by history, so Sup Forums likes to troll with it and pretend it's something great.

I like Lynch, even his bad shit, but this is just *too* bad. It is actually NO better than Days of Our Lives or General Hospital or any of the low budget shit from midday television in the 80s and early 90s. Only reason it's remembered is because David Lynch's name is on it.

Yup, garbage.

>the ENTIRE POLICE FORCE going on with it like this is a normal way to solve a murder mystery.

They only go on with it because Cooper's not an asshole, and they think he knows better (you don't argue with the FBI guy).

Obviously if you don't enjoy, you don't enjoy it, but in retrospect I hope you can see where spoiling the mystery would diminish the extent to which you got interested in the storylines, even if it's not really the point.

David Lynch will rape you in hell

u only have 17 more 50 minute episodes to finish the show. really awesome final 2 eps on season 2. but yeah if u cant finish it after making it half way then i would give up to.

Will it be cheesy, overly dramatic and poorly filmed so he can view it later? Would be good if there's a random midget sitting there watching too, I guess?

btw, how the fuck was the sheriff able to get away with punching a goddamn federal agent?! Even if Cooper wouldn't sign the arrest warrant I still think that there would be repercussions for doing that kind of shit.

It's a small town, user.

How does that make that okay? Assaulting a federal agent makes it a federal crime. The damn government would come down on that guy's ass.

>there would be repercussions for doing that kind of shit
Probably happened off screen
In s3 the trailer park moves to Twin Peaks, sort of implies that Deer Meadow became a ghost town.

the cop got his ass kicked? thats a repercussion

>lets have the FBI man see if he can solve the crime by throwing rocks at bottles with the ENTIRE POLICE FORCE going on with it like this is a normal way to solve a murder mystery.
Look, he's trying to think. Albert is the stereotypical all business, harsh, city-living FBI agent you might expect to come in and disrupt the living of a small town. Instead you get a very kind and humble man who falls in love with the town and thinks he can solve the murder based on something he "learned" in a dream about Tibet and a separate surreal dream of a midget dancing. It is nonsense, except then there are actually these supernatural elements at play, and you have this constant tension between comfy small town life and supernatural beings who feed on human suffering.

No, it wouldn't. It's such a small issue they wouldn't even waste the time for paperwork let alone the money if they need an investigation.

>Nope
I can appreciate that you don't like it but they're clearly having a laugh.

This user knows what's up.

No. Do not do this. James was cool. James was always cool.

Episode 7 is where she eavesdrops and gets the number and password but she works there at 8.

It's a parody of a soap opera that employs that type of stuff. You're just nitpicking random shit now.

if you listen to the additional tapes Cooper says something like
>welp Diane looks like Albert got punched AGAIN better get that paperwork as always
which makes it sound it happens so often FBI doesn't care that much

you are so boring!