Will there be ever anything like it again?

Will there be ever anything like it again?

Second best show of all time after Sopranos.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dSqHfAoE6q0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>only 2 seasons

I want to get into it but eh..

The story it sets out to tell is told pretty well with what time they were given.

But the series really shines in the kind of vibe it manages to produce. You really feel like you get a glimpse into the daily live of Romans from a variety of social classes.

>The story it sets out to tell is told pretty well with what time they were given.
first season yes, second season is extremely obviously rushed and really should have been split in at least 2 seasons, preferably 3

>tfw youll never have a bro like titus pullo

>the movie is still in development Hell

>some people think game of thrones is better than this

jupiters cock, there really is no hope for some people.

First season could've been split in two

A TRVE ROME THREAD FOR TRVE ROMANS

It was meant to be longer but budget problems cut the series short so they sort of crammed the rest of the series into the second season. A shame. The first season is the best series i know

IIRC HBO has come out and said they regret the decision

shame really, just telling the story of how Octavian became Augustus would have been more than sufficient to fill 3 seasons, and the series had to mind Vorenus and Pullo as well

most hate-able character in the show, easily.

all the more reason to watch it. no filler bullshit, and you don't have commit to 6-7 seasons.

honestly, she's only the lesser of 2 queen bitches

Atia of the Julii, I call for justice

Overrated schlock.

we're still getting a Deadwood movie, r-right guys?

>ROME thread
AVE

t. gallic filth

>ywn have a friend like Vorenus or Pullo to help you as you are about to be executed

Seriously though I love there friendship. I just started watching Rome and it's really good.

I say this unironically, but Vorenus and Pullo's friendship is easily the most believable and best friendship in television and one of the best in film as a whole

>Just started another watch through

Gracchus! Something more cheerful!

youtube.com/watch?v=dSqHfAoE6q0

>all the battles are cut
this series is crippled from the outset
too costly
all scenes are men in rooms talking during a string of civil wars
with all the fancy decor they couldnt get a half decent action scene
questionable historic accuracy for the sake of ratings
notable events omitted, others invented
not enough meat on its bones

its only saving grace are the performances

THIRTEEN

THIRTEEN

>there's not enough mindless Le EPIC battle scenes like in Game of Thrones so it's SHIT!!!!!!!
Go back to capeshit retard

too kind...
far too kind...

to be fair there's absolutely no way to do a series in that time period and end up with a budget big enough to film all the battles even if there are a LOT of battles that would make for great scenes

>Not wanting to just watch Roman statesmen scheming against each other

ILLEGAL WARFARE

actually that's part of the problem: a great deal of the battles would most decidedly NOT be mindless because we have the full historic records (if you can sift through the propaganda bullshit) of those battles and they were (at least the important ones) commanded by highly intelligent and capable people

I really would not have minded seeing say, Pharsalus fully in action

fuck off nerd im glad they didnt waste money on battle scenes considering it allowed them to make the best set, props, and costumes ever. Just look at the lorica hamata my nigga, its fucking perfect. People complain that they were too dirty but come on, we're talking about the gallic legions. A little dirt and grime to show that theyd been through some shit was a nice touch.

they did as well as they could with the budget they had - a budget that effectively killed the series btw

besides i really like that little scene where Pompey is explaining to Vorenus what happened at Pharsalus - and Vorenus agreeing it was a sound strategy and it should've worked - it gave it a human touch

I just re-watched this last week .. you know its interesting, each episode felt like 3 or 4 episodes of a modern series. They all had so much depth with intricate well crafted stories... never see that any more, sad

Would be doable today for HBO, back then large scale cgi battles were not really possible with the budgetary constraints tv series have compared to movies. Unless they want it to look like absolute shit.

oh yeh that was a very good scene, good enough that I wonder why they even bothered with the generic actiony sequence in place of the actual battle

>Age-gap
pure Kino

The granddaddy of good HBO drama, coupled with the Wire.
Shame about muh hebrew subplot wedging in ror no (obvious) reason.

childhood is when you idolize rome
adulthood is when you realize Spartacus made more sense and was much better

They say plebs speak of kino as fish speak of flying.

Spartacus was fun to watch but didn't even have a single character that approached the ones from Rome

>It's absurd isn't it? Dressing up...playing at being God.

>Playing? I am not playing. This is not a game.

What did he mean by this?
Were they trying to drive towards an interpretation where Caesar was genuinely becoming a tyrant? It seemed quite out of character where he way portrayed as having an aura of authority but still fairly down to earth.

>Shame about muh hebrew subplot wedging in ror no (obvious) reason.
They were going to expand on it in future seasons, which obviously didn't happen

The core of Spartacus was very good but there was far too much weird sexual shit in it. As well as that, the first half of the first season is pretty terrible so a lot of people I've recommended it to have had trouble getting into it.

>If my last coin buys me a throne, it's a fair price.
>Throne?
>Poetic license!

Which one is this? Is this the HBO one? I want to watch Rome stuff.

Fair enough, but that was a much more subtle hint than the other one. And in every other scene he's quite normal.

yeh HBO series, it's literally called Rome
if you're interesting in roman stuff, you'll probably like it, it has one of the most accurate representations of late republic roman life ever put to film

Caesar is always portrayed as being just at the verge of wanting to become a king/tyrant, only restrained by his inner want to MRGA.

Neet. Thanks user.

Ive been wanting to get into Roman era history recently so this should be a start.

there are quite some inaccuracies though regarding the life of the various historical figures due to artistic license and in season 2 due to the need to compress 15 years of history into barely 10 episodes

it's a bit of a shame the series didn't go on long enough to demonstrate the difference in this between him and Octavian

silly user, it's deadwood>rome>sopranos

>was far too much weird sexual shit in it
just like in ancient rome, retard. ancient rome was peak degeneracy.

not really, remember that in roman times there was no difference between historical records and propaganda, much of the supposed degeneracy was merely defamation

HE WAS A C O N S U L O F R O M E

It's not even in latin, try again ameritards

pure degeneracy, homo sex, bestiality, cuckolding, pedophilia, orgies, this is not a propaganda. this is what the richest did because they were so fucking bored.

CAIVS.

JVLIVS.

CAESAR.

He genuinely wanted to rule. He liked having power. That being said, he seemed to be a genuinely benevolent ruler, unlike the senate.

Fuck I loved this guy

I started watching this show but it dedicated more time to the private affairs of two (besides their names) fictitious Roman soldiers than on actual history.

What? Atia is kind of a more terrible person, and I love Polly Walker. I mean yeah if you like Caesar and hate his foes then I can understand but overall as a person she isn't that bad.

That's the whole point you absolute plebeian

This. They couldn't even use ancient Romans from the time period to play the characters, instead they jumped the shark using 21st century British ones

Troy was going to be all in Latin but then they jumped the proverbial shark.

>user, have you penetrated anyone yet?

I dropped it when I found out they weren't going to time travel back to the Bronze Age and film the actual event, fucking hacks.

they really did the cultural exposistion so seamlessly

they would always fit in little snippets that would give you insight into the roman way of life without being so obvious as to tell you directly

scenes like where atia does the blood sacrifice with the bull when she sends octavian to gaul, that kind of stuff
it fleshes the world out so well

>Hey you just murdered my husband like two episodes ago but sure I'll marry you

whos the other?
I hope you don't mean atia who was easily one of the most based characters in the show

I know you want to destroy me. Far better women vowed to do the same, and where are they now?

>any road

choked up for pompey in that scene
he didn't deserve such an end

she realized he was a strong man and that her husband was too weak for the world and so she resigned herself to be his wife because she realized he would provide security and a future.
It backfired but it shows the kind of thought process a woman had back then, far less interested in romance and far more interested in financial security.
This is expanded upon during the Vorenus family dinner when they talk about how they didnt love each other at first and she obviously married him in similar circumstances to Pullo and Irene.

Here's the thing: Atia was a cunt, but she knew what she was and embraced it. Didn't try to hide it.

Servilia, on the other hand, was a hypocritical, self-righteous bitch - masquerading as a good person. And her constant woe-is-me attitude was sickening. I couldn't stand her. Just my opinion.

desu I think its intentionally not clear whether he intends to become, or actually is a tyrant or not

just like how its unclear in real life, he may have genuinely just wanted to put the republic to rights but decided he needed a lot if time as dicator to do so

that said he was cao cao tier man of ambition

Nothing like a good Falernian grape, is there?

ONCE AGAIN THE GODS SPREAD THE CHEEKS TO RAM COCK IN ASS

Shame, shame on the house of Ptolemy for such barbarity! Shame!

>These being the words of Marcus Tullius Cicero: When I was a young man, I defended our State. As an old man, I shall not abandon it. I give sincere thanks to Mark Antony, who has generously presented me with the most promising theme imaginable. I address you directly, Antony. Please listen as if you... as if you...

>Go on.

>...please listen, as if you were sober and intelligent, and not a drink-sodden, sex-addled wreck. You are certainly not without accomplishments: it is a rare man who can boast of becoming a bankrupt before even coming of age. You have brought upon us war, pestilence and destruction. You are Rome's Helen of Troy. But then... but then...

>GO ON.

>...a woman's role has always suited you best.

only in the late republic did this behaviour become common

if not for the empire they almost certainly would have collapsed as a society, if you buy into the tough men>strong society>rich society>weak men>weak society progression of things

It's an alpha thing, those not forged in battle understand

why would troy even be in latin

did anyone there speak latin
I know their is rumor of the romans being descended from the last people of troy but im pretty sure that just mythos, many Mediterranean peoples adopted that story

HE
REFUSES
TO
MEET
ME

This. Throughout the empire they actually got less degenerate as time went on. The high point of the Antonines gave way to the military dictatorship of the severans, and after the chaos of the third century, Diocletian's reformed empire was pretty much a state whose sole purpose was to prop up the army. After Rome became Christian most of the remnants of the old Roman decadence were gone, but by that point the empire was collapsing.

pompey is not an apple
and I am not a farmer

I can understand why movies and TV shows don't focus on historical accuracy.

Inevitably some one comes along and complains that it's good but not historically accurate enough because of some insignificant detail.

Probably the only time I've gone full chimp in a movie theater and shouted at the tv.

given what we know of Livia, and how she was portrayed in the series (and pretty much every single work of fiction involving her), good chances a hypothetical third season would have involved with Atia being proven time and time again just how utterly wrong she was.

BEHOLD PTOLEMY. HE OF THE TWO LADIES. HE OF SEDGE AND BEE. BEHOLD PTOLEMY. SON OF RA. PTOLEMY THE DIVINE.

I think weakest part of Rome was that it relied on real history. I had read some history books about rome when I was kid so nothing really surprised me. I already knew what was waiting for pompey, mark anthony and cleopatra so I wasn't really eager to see the next season

>Throughout the empire they actually got less degenerate as time went on
>military dictatorship of the severans

Degeneracy and military rule aren't opposed to one another. Many patricians from Republican times likely had a military background as that was the requirement to hold certain offices, which didn't negate them from being degenerate.

What a dumb opinion. If I knew 2 scat fetishists for example, I'd had a far greater respect for the scat fetishist who doesn't shove his shit to my face

t. nubian slave

then again, the period of history it covers is one of the most interesting ones, and has a surprisingly massive amount of first hand sources

True but the massively increasing budget for the army and ridiculous militarisation of Roman society will have led to a situation where the aristocracy in the provinces will have been one with military connections, close to the frontiers and spending most of their time at war, and the land-owning nobility in Italy became ever more irrelevant. It was really the decline of urbanisation throughout the 3rd and 4th centuries that will have curbed degeneracy the most though.

>I know their is rumor of the romans being descended from the last people of troy but im pretty sure that just mythos
Oh no, that's guaranteed mythos, and not even organic mythos, it was a deliberate fabrication on the orders of Augustus himself as part of his massive propaganda war to reestablish order in the republic

I SHIT ON HER, I PISS ON HER!

TRUE ROMAN BREAD
FOR TRUE
ROMANS

>trojans
>known for stealing bitches from hellenes
>rome
>known for stealing bitches from hellenes

at least it works