I don't get it

I don't get it...

homage to interstellar

How did he get the monkeys to do what he wanted?

the monolith was left by ayy lmaos and it has weird properties like distorting time and space and speeding up evolution

I think it means aliens gave us a bunch of knowledge n shit

We simply cannot understand the workings of the unknown, like aliens and shit. The black monolith is a placeholder for our ignorance

Affirmative Action

The monolith is a prison. Countless souls are confined within it who are trying to escape. Whenever it is the focus of attention Kyrie plays and you can hear the ghastly screams of infinite terror.

The monolith was regularly doused with chicken grease and watermelon juice between takes.

god put it there

Someone desperately wanted to cure insomnia, so they made this movie.

the monolith is the movie screen

BRAVO AGER

>god
It's God, you infidel.

The monoliths act as markers of important turns for the human race. The first one shows up when ancestors of humans learned to use tools. The second shows up when mankind is exploring another planet. The last one shows up when a human transcends time and becomes a fourth/fifth dimensional being then returns to Earth to enlighten everyone.

Dave's story is about him becoming the star child. He is shown time as a spacial dimension (the hotel suite). HAL is a tool that humans created to our detriment. Sort of like how the apes using tools as weapons created war in their society at the beginning.

That's what he said though

Kubrick: It’s not a message that I ever intend to convey in words. 2001 is a nonverbal experience; out of two hours and nineteen minutes of film, there are only a little less than forty minutes of dialog. I tried to create a visual experience, one that bypasses verbalized pigeonholing and directly penetrates the subconscious with an emotional and philosophic content. To convolute McLuhan, in 2001 the message is the medium. I intended the film to be an intensely subjective experience that reaches the viewer at an inner level of consciousness, just as music does; to “explain” a Beethoven symphony would be to emasculate it by creating an artificial barrier between conception and appreciation. You’re free to speculate as you wish about the philosophical and allegorical meaning of the film—and such speculation is indication that it has succeeded in gripping the audience at a very deep level—but I don’t want to spell out a verbal road map for 2001 that every viewer will feel obligated to pursue or fear he’s missed the point. I think that if 2001 succeeds at all, it is in reaching a wide spectrum of people who would not often give a thought to man’s destiny, his role in the cosmos and his relationshop to higher forms of life. But even in the case of someone who is highly intelligent, certain ideas found in 2001 would, if presented as abstractions, fall rather lifelessly and be automatically assigned to pat intellectual categories; experienced a moving visual and emotional context, however, they can resonate within the deepest fibers of one’s being.

>tfw this film will never be beaten because hollywood and audiences are massive plebs and directors dont have the right sensibilities

It's G–, you heretic.

It represents the cinema screen.

It's a wonka bar

So... we are watching the Astronaut through the monolith?

well it uses the cinema screen's dimensions as an allegory, it represents the film itself more than a generic cinema screen

My teacher said evolution reached a halt and the monolith was aliens or gods way of pushing the monkeys to the next step with knowledge of tool usage

thats the ape era version of hal.

did you even watch the movie, guy?

not really. yeah i know it shows up at other points/times.

Then the pleb filter did it's job.