Sherlock Holmes

Was he a Mary-Sue?

yes
no
maybe
i don't know
can you repeat the question?

I asked whether he was a character with no flaws who is good at everything.

he a god damn 40yr old virgin

No he isn't.

Yes, most of his "deductions" are insane leaps of logic that basically rely on superpowers. The only real exception is the first episode.

Completely sick of these "genius" characters.

Yes, and by far one of the most obnoxious ones at that.

That would be her sister.

Wait a minute that card....

Probably. He could seemingly do it all. I always think this when I encounter one of these types in cinema.

Someone post the image

he was moffat's masturbatory fantasy

basically add aspects of autism roughly translated into:being an arsehole then minus any actually disabling parts of it.

In the original stories Holmes is a bit too good, beyond just being an insightful genius he is also absurdly knowledgeable, incredibly strong and a capable boxer too. But he's written in a way where you wouldn't really want to *be* him most of the time, Watson is usually happier and a lot less celibate too. Holmes having a brother who is smarter than him is also a nice touch.

What image?

>look at how smart I look with this scarf on

fuck scarves

The one that describes why smart people are indistinguishable from wizards to dumb people and that's why the show is so bad

Yes

Finally a smart game, for smart gamers.

4x01 and 4x03 gave me cancer

Just admit you don't know what a Mary Sue is ang go away, Op. I'm tired of people using the term who haven't the faintest idea what it means.

Anton Chigurh from No Country for Old Men is a smartly written smart character. When Chigurh kills a hotel room full of three people he books to room next door so he can examine it, finding which walls he can shoot through, where the light switch is, what sort of cover is there etc. This is a smart thing to do because Chigurh is a smart person who is written by another smart person who understands how smart people think.

Were Sherlock Holmes to kill a hotel room full of three people. He'd enter using a secret door in the hotel that he read about in a book ten years ago. He'd throw peanuts at one guy causing him to go into anaphylactic shock, as he had deduced from a dartboard with a picture of George Washington carver on it pinned to the wall that the man had a severe peanut allergy. The second man would then kill himself just according to plan as Sherlock had earlier deduced that him and the first man were homosexual lovers who couldn't live without eachother due to a faint scent of penis on each man's breath and a slight dilation of their pupils whenever they looked at each other. As for the third man, why Sherlock doesn't kill him at all. The third man removes his sunglasses and wig to reveal he actually WAS Sherlock the entire time. But Sherlock just entered through the Secret door and killed two people, how can there be two of him? The first Sherlock removes his mask to reveal he's actually Moriarty attempting to frame Sherlock for two murders. Sherlock however anticipated this, the two dead men stand up, they're undercover police officers, it was all a ruse. "But Sherlock!" Moriarty cries "That police officer blew his own head off, look at it, there's skull fragments on the wall, how is he fine now? How did you fake that?". Sherlock just winks at the screen, the end.

This is retarded because Sherlock is a smart person written by a stupid person to whom smart people are indistinguishable from wizards.

Go back to livejournal you fucking faggot, he is a Mary-Sue and you don't like to admit it because you love self-inserting as him.

In the show, yes.

Unless the story is a tragedy all main characters are mary sues. Most "flaws" are bullshit that don't end up changing the outcome of the film where the hero gets their way.

Yeah but most characters aren't perfect at everything with an IQ of 200 either.

Is God a Mary Sue?

so throwing in some fake "flaws" makes it somehow better?

technically he's a Gary Lou

Making a character believable and complex is better, yes. But I guess it makes them less attractive to 14 year olds who use them as wish-fulfillment fantasy in their fanfiction.

realistic characters fulfill more mature audiences escapism. Its still escapism though.

God is kind of an inverted Mary Sue. All powerful, but not everyone loves him. Yet, he still loves all of us.