Tom Holland Praises the Diversity in Spider-Man: Homecoming

>Spider-Man: Homecoming has been receiving glowing reviews from critics in anticipation of it’s release in theaters this Friday, with some even calling it “one of the best superhero movies in years.” This third big screen depiction of the crime-fighting hero, from Sony Pictures and Marvel Studios, revives the story of Peter Parker with a fresh and funny take that works for all audiences. And it’s not just the humor or Avengers plotline that makes this reboot unique, but the diversity, which hasn’t been seen in the world of Spider-Man until now.

>Laura Harrier, Zendaya, Selenis Leyva, Donald Glover, Garcelle Beauvais, Jacon Batalon, and Tony Revolori are just some of the actors who form part of the standout diversified cast.

>And how does Spider-Man himself, Tom Holland, feel about this inclusion? “It’s an honor. Jon [Watts] is sort of breaking the rules and doing what he should be doing and what the rest of the industry should be doing,” the actor told Chica about the film’s director. “He cast this movie based on who was best for the role rather than where they’re from or what they look like.”

>The 21-year-old English actor feels that this is a step forward in Hollywood and added that to this sentiment by saying, “I think the fact that he did that really paves the way for future movies.”

>Co-stars Zendaya, Harrier and Batalon—who all represent ethnic-minority groups—also chimed in on the subject of diversity telling Chica that “that’s the way it should be” and exclaimed, “it’s about time!”

Other urls found in this thread:

vulture.com/2017/06/spider-man-homecoming-producer-amy-pascal-talks-diversity.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

fag

I-I LOVE minorities, just don't bring out Miles Morales and axe me yet please

How do you not get tired of posting the same shitty threads about race and politics all day?

>'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Having A Biracial Love Interest For Peter Is Monumental

>Spider-Man: Homecoming isn't just bringing Spider-Man back into the Marvel Cinematic Universe — it's bringing diversity with it. Not only is a huge chunk of the movie's supporting cast not white, but Homecoming provides the MCU with the universe's first prominent women of color, Liz (Laura Harrier) and Michelle (Zendaya). Moreover, with Liz, Spider-Man: Homecoming introduces Marvel's first biracial love interest. Yes, for the first time in the entire MCU, the white hero is involved in an interracial relationship, and this could not be more important when it comes to the representation of women of color on-screen.

>You see, Homecoming marks the first MCU film with two prominent female characters of color and two prominent biracial characters. This distinction might sound unimportant, but to the many biracial fans out there, it actually means a lot, because it expands diversity in the MCU beyond easily defined ethnic boxes. In big studio movies, biracial characters are rare, and tend to appear only when being biracial is a part of the story. For the most part, major films stick to easily defined ethnic categories — black, white, Asian, Latinx, etc. The fact that Homecoming has two biracial female supporting characters and doesn't make their race part of their storyline is monumental, not just for Marvel, but for Hollywood overall.

And? Do you actually think the guy is gonna shit talk the other cast members? Especially since they're probably all friends in real life?

>The increased diversity in Homecoming challenges how the MCU has defined race for years. With the most prominent characters of color in the MCU being mostly black men — The Falcon (Anthony Mackie), War Machine (Don Cheadle), Black Panther (Chadwick Boseman), Heimdall (Idris Elba), Mordo (Chiwetel Ejiofor), Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) — it's easy to think that the MCU is a world populated solely by white men, white women, and a few black men. Homecoming, however, flips the script, adding in a Latino bully Flash (Tony Revolori) and a Filipino best friend Ned (Jacob Batalon). And the addition of Liz and Michelle to the MCU adds the most prominent women of color to the universe thus far.

>In recent years, Marvel has been inching towards more inclusion by adding small, but crucial new characters to its franchises. In Doctor Strange, a black actor, Ejiofor, played the originally white character of Mordo, and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 featured two non-white actors in major onscreen roles, Zoe Saldana (Gamora) and Pom Klementieff (Mantis). These movies didn't handle diversity perfectly; Doctor Strange whitewashed the character of the Ancient One, and GotG 2's women of color both play aliens, rather than more relatable humans. Still, they were progress, and now, Homecoming marks the first time that Marvel has truly challenged the status quo when it comes to ethnic identity on-screen.

>The addition of biracial characters to the MCU also forces viewers to examine how they interpret race onscreen. Hopefully, Spider-Man: Homecoming is just the beginning and Marvel will continue to push the boundaries when it comes to diversity onscreen, so that questions like the one above won't ever need to arise.

>For Indian fans of superhero franchise Spider-Man, it’s a delight to spot Hollywood actor Robert Downey Jr in a kurta pyjama at a traditional Indian wedding in a scene from Spider-Man: Homecoming, which seems to have embraced diversity.

Whether it is Downey Jr, a turbaned student in a scene, or an Asian sidekick for actor Tom Holland -- the latest version of the superhero tale swings in the diversity way, justified by the presence of an ethically diverse cast including Laura Harrier, Zendaya, Jacob Batalon and Tony Revolori.

How can one be bullied by a turbo manlet pajeet?

I don't even gave a fuck about possible love interests, but this was too much.

I'm just reading reviews. They hit the jackpot with the diversity angle.

>How can one be bullied by a turbo manlet pajeet?
Check out germany and sweden

It's the only human interaction he gets besides his mom feeding him tendies.

>When It Comes To Diversity, Spider-Man: Homecoming Represents 'What The World Is Really Like'

Spider-Man: Homecoming isn't just a delightful superhero movie — it's a great high school movie as well. With its personal stakes and teenage humor, Homecoming is John Hughes earnestness with a side of Freaks and Geeks edge. Honestly, director Jon Watts delivers a bit of a anomaly: a superhero flick with big action and grounded, honest characters.

>And when it comes to its young cast, Spider-Man: Homecoming is in a league of its own. It may be Peter Parker's movie, but the diverse young cast of characters that oscillate around our awkward, web-slinging hero at Midtown Tech are every bit as captivating. (And they don't even have 576 possible web-shooter combinations at their disposal.)

>"We love to represent what New York is really like and what the world is really like," Zendaya told MTV News at the New York press day for the film. For Zendaya, whose sarcastic character Michelle walks around in thrift store duds and a DGAF attitude, she appreciated Watt's earnest storytelling. "Everybody can relate to being an awkward teenager," she said.

ok, you got me there.

This is dogshit.

This is fucking HORRIBLE. Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with capeshit? I honestly want to know why people watch these shitty ass "movies".

>not one review that doesn't mention how diverse and progressive this movie is
And you absolute cucks made fun of Wonder Woman's reviews.

APPROPRIATION ALERT. REPORT TO THE RACIAL TOLERANCE CAMP AND HAVE YOUR IDENTITY PAPERS READY.

>Though it’s not commented on within the script, one of the most remarkable aspects of Sony and Marvel Studios’ Spider-Man: Homecoming is its diversity. Sure, marquee star Tom Holland is as Caucasian as Caucasians get, but his group of high-school compatriots is almost totally devoid of white people: Laura Harrier, Zendaya, Jacob Batalon, and Tony Revolori are all standouts, and all are from ethnic-minority groups.

>All of those performers appeared at an exceedingly well-catered press conference on Sunday morning (there were two kinds of bacon!), alongside director Jon Watts, stars Michael Keaton and Robert Downey, Jr., and megaproducers Kevin Feige and Amy Pascal — and the topic of inclusion came up about midway through.

>The next question, asked by Andrea Huswan of ShowBizCafe, was also directed at Revolori: How did it feel to represent the Latino community in a major franchise picture? “It’s wonderful,” he replied. “When you see the film, there’s not a single line of exposition as to explain why I look the way I look, and I think that’s wonderful. That I just am in the movie; it’s not about a certain race, it’s not about doing anything. I think that’s the diversity we need in Hollywood now.” More applause.

>The air buzzing, another question about inclusion came down the pike right away, this one aimed primarily at Feige and Pascal: What was the inspiration for all the multiethnic casting? Pascal took two seconds to think, then capped off the discussion with a very matter-of-fact response: “I would say the inspiration for it was reality.” The crowd laughed and cheered, and RDJ chimed in: “A last resort.” But hey, better late than never.

vulture.com/2017/06/spider-man-homecoming-producer-amy-pascal-talks-diversity.html

the only acceptable diversity is the fat hawaian guy

every movie needs a fat hawaian guy on it

Ok, I've never really commented on this shit because it's Sup Forumsbait but this does not make a movie good.

If the selling point is diversity then the movie will be shit.

That Flash Thomson is fucking horrible.

I can't see him play Agent Venom in the slightest.

The fuck were they thinking?

Digits never lie.

That guy was too funny.

>puppet dances as it is instructed to by its master

this surprises you?

>Rounding out the cast are young actors like Donald Glover, Zendaya, Laura Harrier, Jacob Batalon and Tony Revolori, making Spider-Man: Homecoming the most diverse Marvel film thus far.

>"It's refreshing, it's real, it's about time," Beauvais said. "We're so diverse in so many ways, and that's what's great about being an American, [and films] need to reflect what the real world looks like... Normally there's a token black person, there's a token Asian person, so it was really refreshing. I love that they're doing that, because then my kids can see themselves reflected in a character. I think that's what's cool for this generation coming up."

>Spider-Man: Homecoming circumvents the traditional origin story, instead taking us into the high-school woes of a sophomore named Peter Parker (Tom Holland), who moonlights as a local YouTube-famous vigilante. And despite being directed by a white dude, this latest entry in the superhero canon has an incredibly diverse cast, which is completely fitting for a movie set in New York City.

>Teenage Peter’s love interest Liz (Laura Harrier) is a Black girl with a white dad who also happens to be the film's big baddie, Vulture (Michael Keaton). Apparently biracial is the new Black on the diversity front; but that’s another post for another day. Ned, Peter's best friend and “guy in a chair,” is played by Hawaiian actor Jacob Batalon. And even one of Vulture’s henchmen, Herman (Bokeem Woodbine), is Black. Peter's bully Flash is played by Tony Revolori (who you might remember from The Grand Budapest Hotel); Hannibal Burress and [the love of my life] Donald Glover have cameos.

>Then, there's Zendaya. She stands out as more than a woman of color in an action genre that is usually reserved for white guys and their white friends. She plays Michelle, a social outcast who lurks in the shadows and observes the goings-on of her fellow classmates. Positioned as a high school student who is wise beyond her years, Michelle isn’t interested in fitting in with her peers, instead finding solace in books, activism, and sarcasm.

>Now, I’ve spent more than enough time imagining what it might be like to be friends with this girl, so seeing her as a social misfit was a pretty hard sell at first. But ultimately, this, too, was a testament to the film's diversity. Michelle wasn't sexualized and didn't exude the traditional Black girl magic that has permeated media. She was able to provide an example of the diversity that exists even within specific identity groups, especially in contrast to the more popular and polished Liz.

What I don't understand is why they all have to be ugly short and fat or skinny. There are attractive ethnic minorities. The girl is fucking ugly and masculine. Then we have some morbidly obese Pacific island looking guy. And I don't know what the thing on the left is but it mirrors the trend. Nevermind Spiderman himself being a frail looking twink. And the CGI fuckfest. What an absolute piece of shit.

>Is diversity scary to the Sup Forums?

This is not interesting. People who are different races than white are in a movie. So what?

See >Now, I’ve spent more than enough time imagining what it might be like to be friends with this girl, so seeing her as a social misfit was a pretty hard sell at first. But ultimately, this, too, was a testament to the film's diversity. Michelle wasn't sexualized and didn't exude the traditional Black girl magic that has permeated media. She was able to provide an example of the diversity that exists even within specific identity groups, especially in contrast to the more popular and polished Liz.

MUH WHITE FRAGILITY

>This is not interesting. People who are different races than white are in a movie. So what?
I remember people mocking Wonder Woman's reviews because she's a female lead. Homecoming's reviews literally mention diversity as its selling point, I personally find it funny.

i bet he killed at least 3 people in his younger days

Flash isn't Venom. Comics stopped in 89, bitch.