Why does Sup Forums hate this movie so much?

Why does Sup Forums hate this movie so much?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YSY9NGUC5Q4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Why do you regard the things you read on Sup Forums as factual? This is my favorite movie, but I certainly don't talk about it here.

don't judge me

Because it's full of brainlets

Last act sucked.

Because the cosmic horror has shattered their minds and theyve gone insane

youtube.com/watch?v=YSY9NGUC5Q4

Is too good for dumb plebians.

Objectively false.

50% literal retards, 50% contrarians

Because they fell for the Alien meme, when it was obvious it should have been the Evolved Humans sending the monolith back in time to track down human progress and creating humanity by accident meme

Totally ripped off Interstellar.

They don't. It's just the first movie newfags watch, so they make a thread complaining about it and then they stop watching movies that Sup Forums suggests.

lol

Op thinks we go here to talk about movies we like? Fuck no we come here and shit on the opinions of others even when we agree with them.

But that means that you're a brainlet as well.

Only a few people here hate it, most either haven't seen it or like it.

>Only a few people here hate it
Then why does almost every thread I see about this movie shit on it?

because its overhyped and boring/slow imo, id prefer Solaris over this movie. However the special effects in 2001 are incredible

reddit: the movie

I like everything besides the soundtrack. You're laying there in your bed, trying to relax and enjoy space, and then all the sudden your eardrums are raped by some obnoxious classical music tune which isn't even a good classical music tune.

the ending was confusing as fuck to me, except for the part with the baby, which I could figure something out about.

>Implying reddit has enough braincells to know what's going on
You should go back there.

Spoken like a true pleb.

its pretensious bullshit.

1) There's been a flurry of such threads in the last couple of weeks.
2) People tend to post when they have controversial opinions, not when they have popular opinions.

It's on BBC 2 right now in the UK

watching monkeys throw shit at each other for 20 minutes and people praise it as the best movie ever

whats sum gud space kino lads

Sup Forums doesn't hate it.

The movie shows us how brutal the lives of our ancestors were before they created technology.
And are you not moved by the monolith scene? Stirred? Roused in some way?

>Very little character development at expense of long special effect scenes
>Shit plot at expense of special effect scenes
>Hal 9000 feels like he should be in another film
All in all its confused and a mash of a couple of different concepts which should be in different movies. Hal 9000 and AI in one and the monoliths in the other. Only then could both ideas be explored properly.

how big is it? can we see it from earth?

It was so boring. I was hoping for an epic showdown between man and machine but he ended up unplugging it just when it got interesting. The AI should have fought back with robot men or something. Everything that happened after was just "lul randum"

I don't really think you understand the film.

>The AI should have fought back with robot men or something
Back to Sup Forums with you.

This is another brilliant retort from avid fanboys of the film. It's virtually their sole response to criticism, notice the complete lack of any argument.

>Kubrick will never direct cape kino

found the tryhard

That wasn't an argument, you litterally do not understand the film.

the jump cuts were terrible.
the iconic bone to spaceship cut is not even in sync, its schoolboy level shit.

Give list of your favorite films.

>I'll just post it again!

>Not wanting a capeshit-tier movie is tryhard now

>no Click
0/10 list

Because Sup Forums is full of contrarian faggots that think they're smarter than the general population.

I was merely stating a fact.

It doesnt always have to be a philosophy lesson. some of us just want to have fun

Yeah dude.
>like 4 hours of boring introduction
>at last the guy get super-powers granted by ancient aliens
>credits roll
Is the worst superhero movie ever!

Then look elsewhere you fucking idiot.

A clockwork orange
One flew over the cuckoo's nest
American psycho
Eyes wide shut

>tfw you find out that Kubrick ran out of money and couldnt film the ending he wanted so he had to fudge it with Spacebaby and all these Redditors think it has profound meaning

>Source:My ass

3 of these are reddit movies.

source: Arthur C Clarke interview on the Blu-Ray extras of 2001.

what a coincidence,I just finished reading The Lost Worlds of 2001 by Clarke

great book. Shows you the cut parts / earlier drafts of the story.

It explains much of really well

I'm a huge 2001 fan, but I agree that the ending is weak. However, some of the material from earlier in the film is so good, including some of the greatest sequences ever put in a film, that the weak ending is relatively unimportant.

Post the clip.

I never quite understood how Dave goes immediately from discovering the true nature of the crew's assignment after disconnecting HAL to zipping through a rainbow universe in a lone shuttle pod. I expected him to either scrub the mission or at least call HQ to update them on the situation.

>call HQ to update them on the situation
How?

I don't know? Spend time fixing the ship now that the primary threat has been eliminated?

He spent the money on what he deemed important.

My point was that he don't have a way to call the HQ.

I'm watching this on Tv now, it's on bbc2

I literally just watched this while tripping on acid

2001 separates the plebs and the patricians. Plebs will be easily awed by the special effects and flashy aesthetics. Patricians can see past it and realise the film is a jumbled mess of ideas.

It was great to see it on the big screen in 70mm last year, best theater experience ever

>Plebs don't understand what's going on and think the film is a jumbled mess of ideas, then they proceed to shitpost about it on Sup Forums.
ftfy

I believe that it is an imperfect jumble of ideas, but I still consider it to be one of the greatest movies of all time. What it does right is so sublime that what it does wrong is relatively unimportant.

>Not watching a 70mm print
Plebs.

>faggot 4
>the hobbit
>5000 adam sandler movies

i don't hate it but it's boring and overrated

And that's where you're wrong, kiddo.

its so deep, really makes you think

about having a nap lol

XD upvoted

Its my favorite film.

You can leave it in fast forward, and it's still too long

People always say this but nobody can explain what exactly is being misunderstood

The first time I watched it I enjoyed it for the most part, but I will admit that I found the rainbow sequence up until the ending to be rather meaningless / uninteresting. It was only after reading an explanation that I understood it and appreciated it slightly more, but I'm starting to wonder. It really seems like you cannot offer any reasonable criticism of 2001 without people jumping at you saying that "You just don't get it." People like:

It reminds me of modern art or things like Jackson Pollock paintings, where anybody who doesn't like them "just doesn't get them" and they're impossible to criticize without other people labelling you as too dumb / uneducated to "get it". To offer my own criticism, it's possible to get some sort of point or message across in a film without resorting to a lot of the techniques that Kubrick used that make watching the film unenjoyable.

They are plebs.

You can't really explain it, some people get it and others don't.

>It really seems like you cannot offer any reasonable criticism of 2001 without people jumping at you saying that "You just don't get it."
The problem is that this board (well, the whole site) is full of contrarians and shitposters in the search of attention and "epic trolling", so justified and legit criticism about a movie like 2001 is nearly always mixed with these.

Some years ago, people told you guys that ironic shitposing were going to kill Sup Forums and you guys didn't listen. Now is too late.

>The problem is that this board (well, the whole site) is full of contrarians
Which is the reason this board hates this movie.

Again, chances are that they didn't even watched it but want the (you)s or they even like it but pretend to be retarded for some (you)s. The newfags and the ironic shitposting is the root of the problem.

I think, roughly speaking, if you get a sublime mystic thrill or some sort of cosmic horror from the monolith sequences, you'll love this movie. If you don't, you'll think it's overrated.

Pleb.