Now that the dust has settled

What do you think of the Castlevanis animated series on (((Netflix)))? I think it was pretty damn good but too short.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6Oma-VUECmc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Get the FUCK off my board.

What the hell does this series have to do with Pokémon?

I liked it a lot, but there are like three people on Sup Forums who have a hate boner for it and spam every thread with complaints, usually saying "the show sucks because of X" where X is something that was in the games, but they don't know that or care. You can't half about it here without autists turning the thread into a fight over historical accuracy (lmao) and Christianity.

isn't that how Sup Forums feels about everything?

die shill, you don't belong in this world

it's less than mediocre at it's best, stop trying to play this shit up like it's something special, because it isn't

Neckbeard atheists/redditors shouting fuck yeah and cheering every time a priest dies almost put me off from watching this. It's good, not bad the voice acting felt kind of emotionless. Animation is shit when it's not the fight sequences. Dracula is the best character, Trevor is just that kid from high school who says he doesn't give a fuck. It's nice he developed from that. Everything else is eh

I just watched the first episode and it's really bland. Does it get any better or do I go watch Vampire Hunter D again?

OP here. I'll admit the over played "corrupt church" thing got over played. I wasn't sure how much they were going to tip the fedora but they did eventually establish that the Bishop and his followers were out for power and were just invoking God to get it. Plus the demon acknowledged the existence of God and the Priest made holy water.

So long as they don't go into 27 genders next season and stay true to the lore of Cas III it should be good.

>go watch Vampire Hunter D again
is the correct choice, as of now castlevania literally goes nowhere, is completely and utterly sub-par in comparison

hellsing is also more worthy of your investment, i'm just thankful as fuck netflix got nothing from me outside of wasted time in exchange for wading through four episodes of pretty shit material
>inb4 netflix shill tells me i'm just a hater
yes i am, because i like castlevania and this is pretty much a disservice to the franchise, not unlike lords of shadow but i suppose it could be worse konami could still throw it to the pachislot wolves

Literally the whole season is just a test run and a set up for the actual raid on the castle.

Trevor goes to town being controlled by a corrupt Bishop who scape goating this other religion called The Seekers. Trevor ends up fighting some millitant priests along with some of Draculs Demon and finds Alicards hidden tomb.

I thought it was a blast, but yeah, too short. I want more Dracula mayhem. Also, I was really surprised by how gory it was.

I just watched it and it was ok. I don't get the absurd amount of hype surrounding it, there's absolutely nothing stand-out about the entire thing, besides the IP.
The plot is solid, the dialogue is alright, nothing too amazing, but about as good as the usual anime dialogue gets, really.
After the bar fight I was hoping that future fight scenes would also be grounded, but it quickly turns into typical anime fuckery with weightless enemies, flying swords and retarded decision-making.
A solid 6.5, 7 if you're partial to Castlevania.

This Christianity vs science stuff is so stupid.

So it's just like a prologue?? What the

>No castlevania music in at all
WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?

Dude it's a Netflix show, nothing it's more Sup Forums this days.

Really cool art style
Great character designs
Voice acting was hit and miss
Animation was sometimes janky sometimes phenomenal
Dialogue was mostly standard fare with some more interesting parts and some retarded parts
Overall inconsistent but enjoyable

I will echo a common vein of complaint and say that the anti-Christianity stuff was embarrassingly bad. There is a good way to write a critique of organised religion but this was so one-dimensional and cartoonish.

It was fucking terrible. People are only liking it because it's been so long since we've had anything that even resembled the old Castlevania lore since the reboot, and people are thirsty as hell

I only saw its first episodes the other night and was pleasantly surprised by it. I thought it was impressive. Had some humourous moments, too.

>Great character designs
Really? Which ones? I found everything to be pretty standard, bordering on generic. Especially the demons.

basically, there's enough padding to fill a mattress and the 4 episode set coupled with the way it ends makes it obvious they were testing the waters to see if it was worth releasing the rest because they're probably finished and ready to go anyway

apparently it was, which surprised the shit out of me desu, but then the series itself was driven into the ground by konami/mercurysteam so fans would be desperate for more material, typical of any fanbase really
they weren't, normalfaggots wouldn't have noticed anyway and it probably would have been trouble with licensing tracks maybe
>mfw some dumb faggot in one of these generals told me use of any of the game music would have overshadowed everything in a show about the very material the music was tailor made for

I gotta say i find it funny how Sup Forums cries that castlevania talk should go in Sup Forums and Sup Forums bitches that it should be talked on Sup Forums and some people here want me to go into Sup Forums to talk about it.

Everyone hates it but not because it was bad, but because of reasons.

I do hope the next season just has them in the castle the entire time. Maybe 1-2 episodes of them getting there/getting supplies to avoid any of that sjw fuckery

I don't know how to feel about it. I think I am going to wait until I finish rewatching it in Japanese first before I post a review on YouTube

But some things I liked: the character design, the atmosphere, the fight scenes and much of the plot itself.

What I didn't like: the anti-Church vibe just felt really heavy handed. From what I remember from the original games, the church never really figured that prominently as a plot element beyond providing some weapons to fight the monsters. This series treads a little too close to the "the church hates science" meme, which is kinda weird in a franchise where many of the old world fears of the supernatural are indeed treated as true within the context of its story. I could understand if Dracula's wife was interested in all matters of knowledge, physical science and occult science, and was more like Merlin in Disney's sword in the stone but it just felt awkward. I actually thought the bishop too might have been an interesting character as it seemed like his desire to purge the Church of corruption which he feels has brought the scourge while believing he's the only one who could do it might have been a compelling subplot.

The reason I wanted to watch it in Japanese next was cause some of the delivery felt rather stilted and awkward, even if the script itself was not so bad.

It also feels like it ends right when the actual plot gets moving and that's another thing, I feel the pacing is a bit too slow

It matches up with history. I'm a proud Catholic and I know the Church went through some...lets call them rough patches. Back then religion and politics were the same... and the church had more power then kings.

I think the writers were over reading Draculas infamous quib about religion in SotN and made him and his wife stereotypical fedora tippers.

Either that or the writers have a poor understanding of religion.

>Using music would overshadow anything because its literallies from the source
I tried to think something to say about that, but the retardation of it just killed alot of me braincells.

As an irreligious person, even I have to agree with some other lads ITT, that they laid the corruption of the church on a wee bit thick.

anti-christianity, anti-western and anti-white lefturd propaganda. why can't they put mudslimes as the bad guys for once ??

>I tried to think something to say about that, but the retardation of it just killed alot of me braincells.
this is a net win for you then, if that statement is anything to go by, you don't have many to spare

Because that's not what the source materials is about, but I would very much like to see more media taking place in the past, present and future, that similarly portrays islam as something that is less than decent, which it obviously is.

It just wasn't that interesting in a show about fighting monsters.

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS Sup Forums?
why are so many people giving this praise it's FUCKING RIDICULOUS
>shitty soundtrack
>animation is subpar at BEST
>asshole main character decides to start giving a fuck for no reason at all
>voice acting all over the place
>dialogue sounds like it was written in Japanese and then fed through google translate
>super comfy and cozy then makes a tonal shift into baby eviscerating MADNESS
>4 episodes
>take a drink every time the floor falls out from under the main characters you'll be dead by the end
>all good guys literally gods of combat so no stakes

Some of the fight scenes look really good but this shit is just meme material.
>pee in a bucket
>leave my testis alone

wtf Sup Forums why would any of you recommend this shit to me?

[spoilers] can't wait for season 2 desu [/spoilers]

It was pretty mediocre. The pacing was slow, the script was weak, bland visuals, and really weak sound design. Everything sounded so flat, especially a lot of the dialogue. Overall a 2.5/4. I never once felt excited to continue after each episode.

That would be raciest

>castlevania gets a better anime adaptation than berserk
what a joke

Read Berserk

The Church was the biggest patron of the sciences around. In the 1400s practically every scientist would've been a priest or monk.

That's not even touching on the fact that the official line of the Catholic Church was and still is that witches don't exist. You were more likely to get executed for accusing someone of being a witch.

If you have to reverse the historical situation in order for your story to have the appropriate conflict then maybe don't use that conflict at all.

When you are completely engulfed in the world of anime or anime looking designs, the word generic losses all meaning.

Made no sense how those peasants killed that one knife wielding PRIEST, when DEMONS are flying around just because some random guy running around killing all the PRIESTS said he was evil. Other than that i think they atleast deserve a one bonus point for acknowledging that not all the priests were evil and they had magic powers to turn water into jesus-water-TM.

>Castlevania show is shit tier
>still better than Berserk
realizing this makes me want to kill myself.

Oh, my deity of choice, THIS.
I would rather have had the people responsible for this four episode adaptation adapt Berserk beyond the Golden Age Arc.

The sound design was the most disappointing part desu

Castlevania has the music advantage.

You can't make an anime with tunes as good, cause the videogames had to work with completely different sound standars, where it's a lot more competitive.

I expected a better animation quality for just 4 episodes of 20minutes

I had the same experince with Glow, I expected more production quality, they are really discount HBO in terms of production.

>can't make an anime with tunes as good as the game
>could have just taken the video game music and put it in the show
>could have just put any effort into the music instead of running what sound like garage band demo tracks over every fight scene

already have, hundreds of times over by now
>tfw they finally get off the goddamned boat, but are doomed to shitty animated adaptations for all eternity

Wasn't the Church burning Dracula's wife common knowledge at this point? Also, earlier, Trevor pointed out that the priest had a thief's knife, and asked for a priest legitimately with emphasis on legitimately ordained to make holy water. So the implication was that the priests under the bishop were merely brigands in the cloth of the church under the bishops payroll, but I do agree that showing the new priests in town being more dickish to the townsfolk or showing the speakers being more charitable would have been helpful in making sense why the mob turned on them

It's decent so far. First episode was uhhh. Second and third was story and little action which was nicely done. The voice acting is pretty good. Wayy too short.

Wasnt there supposed to be 8 more episodes coming soon? Or something like that.

The show is pretty fucking awful but FUCK those first fifteen minutes had me licking the screen I thought I was in for some vampire kino.

There probably would've been obnoxious legal complications with using the games' original soundtracks, unfortunately. I've read that reason.being given for other anime adaptations of videogame IPs not using the source material's music. People need to consider things like that more often in any case 'cause the legalities of anything like this are usually nightmarish.

>look up a pic for the other Castlevania 3 character Grant
>this shit comes up

Not a fan of how they changed Trevor to appeal to normies who are into the 'funny banter', a lot of lines came out cringy from that character. Dialogue was garbage for the most part and it didn't help with most of the primary VA's not even trying.
Using the SotN story was for the best. Animation was more in tune with what you see in the west. It was average, nothing stood out bar a few sequences in the last fight.

>be me
>browsing Sup Forums on a friday night
>everyone says Castlevania is near perfection
>watch all four episodes
>it's shit
>come back to Sup Forums
>everyone says it's shit
why

So do you guys think that if they get around to finishing that new Vampire Hunter D series that it will be better or worse than this series. Keep in mind Castlevania probably ripped off VHD

>No Castlevania music
NOPE

Is 71 years too old to do Drac's voice again for a Jap dub?
youtube.com/watch?v=6Oma-VUECmc

Well the one priest who was at the exucution alluded to being a chemist but stopped himself after the Bishop gave a look like "your next".

I really hoping this was going to be agenda free. If there was an agenda it was really inconvenient because they used fucking magic and holy water to fight demons.

Proceeding with caution. Hope working with a Western production company doesn't mean filthy gaijins influencing the direction of the show, art, dialogue in any way.

>Either that or the writers have a poor understanding of religion.

This show is literally directed by one Warren Ellis, so a massive amount of fedorafaggotry and historical inaccuracy should be expected.

Unless he has some health issue, absolutely not. Some icon characters such as Mobile Suit Gundam's Casval Rem Deikun have had the same Japanese voice actor for nearly forty years now along with many other recurring characters from the franchise's original Universal Century timeline.

Image not entirely unrelated.

>castlevania
>historical accuracy

One thing in the VHD Lord's favor is that the vampires and humans made use of both technology and magic, it's more scifi. I think the guys in charge of Castlevania just thought "medieval times? Well let's just go with the church killing scientists as witches, that feels medieval right?" despite the fact that there's a difference between the 1400's and the 900's as far as the Church's attitude towards science goes

I was disappointed that it was 4 eps but it's lean and mean. excited for more

ah yes the 1400s by this point the church was fully committed to science

>make a show based on series know for using Boomerang Crosses, Rosary Beads, And Holly Watter to fight evil.
>get a fedora neck beard to direct it.

Did Konkani hire Netflix to put the final knife in the fan base?

or you are nitpicking a cartoon based on a fucking videogame for historical accuracy

you know what to do

I imagine that the four episodes are actually the pilot that they made with the a small budget alotted to them by Netflix as kind of a proof of concept before the bulk of the show was greenlit (which it has been and 8 more episodes premier next january). I'm glad they got the church corruption stuff out of the way early on(which was probably only included so that the executives could have a readable script) so we can move onto pure castlekino.

>Implications that priests under bishow were merely brigands
I mean still, even if they were """"priests""" it just seemed like an overkill for have the people turn on them suddenly, considering that its not modern ages but 15 century and if there are demons flying around there probably is god/hell too and murdering gods priests probably isnt the best idea. Even if they accidentally set all hell loose woops hehe.

But it was just 4 episodes so i cant really expect some super 2deep4u talks and shit.

Calm down, he wrote it and the last episode has Trevor using holy water made by an actual priest as opposed to the despotic thugs that actually run the church to fight off demons.

By the 1400's many of the patrons of the sciences and medicine were members of the Church and Galileo's trial had nothing to do with hatred of science even if other members of the church could be skeptical towards certain disciplines that bordered on magic or skeptical towards knowledge coming from foreign non Christian countries, Galileo's trial had more to do with his findings and interpretations contradicting the Aristotelian canons upheld by the Church, it was more about the particular theories he had contradicting established science

Do you even English? Fuck off back to Sup Forums, Sup Forums.

This!

Castlevania show has nothing on the original Berserk adaption.

Im pretty sure he meant the most recent abomination tbqh.

>church totally ok with science
>except when it contradicted what they thought was true

The Crusades still happened in the games, my Fish-posting friend. The Church also wasn't a bunch of comically evil twats.

I'm not them, but would imagine they were referring to the animated abomination that is the twenty-sixteen anime television series and/or the anime film trilogy. Most people seem to agree that the original nineties anime series of Berserk is at least acceptable, if not on its own merits, than in comparison to its later animated incarnations.

Those guys weren't real priests.

noh tru preeeessst fellatio

Kind of sucked the only non-generic demon we got was the Cyclops.
Really wanted to see Medusa heads and Skeletons terrorizing folks

watch this

Seems cool. Thanks man.

the church didn't fight vampires either. The fedora tipping is obnoxious, but muh historical accuracy isn't a real argument against it when all the other historical inaccuracies are fine because they don't bother you

Sucks how this happened in 1844 for the Castlevania world

Yes, like is the case today when societies accept certain things as indisputable fact and will selectively pick and choose what scientific theories or findings they want to accept based on what endorses the current zeitgeist or power structure. Like how liberals glorify science and progress, except when it contradicts their social views and they try to explain it away in any manner no matter how convoluted.

In the 1400's, the canonical source of cosmology in the West was Aristotle as interpreted by St. Thomas Aquinas. The canonical sources of medicine were Galen as well as Ibn Sina's Canon of Medicine and one of the most sure-fire ways to get the equivalent of a medical degree in those days was to join the priesthood since it was typically in the monasteries that much of the knowledge of ancient Greece, ancient Rome and the Arabic works was most often preserved. The church was not burning any and everyone in possession of a chemistry set. And Galileo was put to trial because the majority of scientists and astronomers in those days were in agreement with the Aristotelian view.

>the church didn't fight vampires either.

Depends on whether or not you consider a Muslim invasion are force to be "vampiric" in nature.

these mental gymnastics

What about the Spanish Inquisition?

>I will echo a common vein of complaint and say that the anti-Christianity stuff was embarrassingly bad. There is a good way to write a critique of organised religion but this was so one-dimensional and cartoonish.
It isn't criticizing religion. It's criticizing abuse of power and hypocrisy.

>Historical facts are mental gymnastics
>Disagreeing with someone's scientific theories cause they contradict everything every scientist and scholar trained in the natural sciences and philosophy has accepted for nearly two thousand yearseans you are available St science itself

Holy strawman batman

The Spanish Inquisition was about rooting out heretics following the reconquest of Spain and the nominal conversion of Muslims and Jews whose actual faith was questionable.

>the church never really figured that prominently as a plot element beyond providing some weapons to fight the monsters

*are against science itself

>let me uh...just bust out my handy book of fallacies here uh...uh...ad hom-... uh...STRAWMAN
>not even a strawman

I liked it, some parts were pretty cringey. Wish there were more of Dracula

Are there any mermen, medusa heads or peeping eyes on this show

>holy strawman
>didn't actually use it correctly
Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Retard, the Shitposter? I thought not. It’s not a story the Jedi would tell you. It’s a Sith legend. Darth Retard was a Dark Lord of the Sith, so powerful and so wise he could use the Force to influence the midichlorians to create dubs… He had such a knowledge of the shitposting that he could even keep the ones he cared about from getting butthurt. The Fallacy Side of the Force is a pathway to many arguments some consider to be unnatural. He became so powerful… the only thing he was afraid of was getting exposed with his own logical fallacies, which eventually, of course, he did. Unfortunately, he taught his apprentice everything he knew, then his apprentice killed him in a shitpost. Ironic. He could save others from fallacies, but not himself.

no