Can anyone explain to me how making L a black man is a bad choice?

Can anyone explain to me how making L a black man is a bad choice?

hard mode: no racism

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=37WiwroPMjU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Live-action anime adaptations are mistakes 100% of the time, with no exceptions

Original L was pale because he was an introvert genius who spends all his time inside. To my knowledge black people get paler if they avoid sunlight.

This is an important aspect of visual storytelling / characterization that will be lost because of the choice to cast an afro-american in the role.

If they had cast a Japanese actor to play L they would have been able to get off with most of the whitewashing accusations

black people don't**

I don't want to make "L" to a black man, that's gross
fuck you

i wont mind it if like they have a reveal where HE is a criminal at the end like he holds up a store and steals some malt liquor or something

Can someone explain why racism is a bad thing suddenly?
I shouldn't have to justify not wanting a black actor cast as L.

Because he is a nigger. Niggers are stupid, so he could never be a detective. Niggers are criminals, so he could never be on the side of justice. Niggers can't talk properly, no one would understand his ghetto slang while he speaks in public. Niggers smell, so Light would immediately know he was tailing him.
And niggers are niggers, I don't want niggers in my TV.

Btw OP what's that black rectangle in your post? Another nigger reference?

It's not being black that bothers me, but in the trailer he does L's signature pose on a chair but then GRABS THE ARMS FOR SUPPORT. That's just fucking ridiculous, how could the directors fuck that up?

Because he's supposed to be asian. Why do retards not understand this?

Why do people keep trying to compare this L to L in the anime?

Can't you just accept this is the same L just with a different skin color?
If he behaves exactly the same then its irrelevant what his skin is.

see

Oh man, a classic fake-out.
The audience would be all disappointed and then suddenly his stupid nigger ass gets taken out by the real L, and all the women in the audience let out a sigh of relief and can stop clutching their purses

Because he's going to be the false L from the begining who they grabbed from death row. People will get pissed at the fact they chose a black man to play a death row inmate.

It doesn't seem like he will be the same character, the world-weary genius boy

I just don't like forced niggers in anything. Why can't niggers create their own shit.

We don't complain for having no Americans in telenovelas

Niggers are the last people that I'd cast as a social awkward introverted super smart detective

Most niggers are loud and tend to move a lot more than other races, niggers aren't quiet, smart social awkward creatures.

it's just such a weird choice

My guess is those SJW cucks had to decide a black role for one of the main characters and they went with the good guy since the bad guy had to be white obviously as they agenda dictated.

My problem isn't remotely with L, it's with Light. What Light's doing (mass purge of criminals) is technically wrong, but it's made morally grey by the fact that his logic is sound and that he's a very intelligent, successful young man with a strong sense of justice inherited from his close ties to the police force.

Netflix Light seems to just be a grimy school shooter type

Nice trips, but look at the way he grabs the arms. Pose ruined

He kills bullies instead of criminals on the remake

>implying bullies aren't criminals

Because then we can turn Black Panther into a Jew

*white jew

i have bigger issues with the fact that he's publicly addressing the media and light is some loser that gets bullied

Black Panther was created by a white jew, so Black Panther already is a white jew

youtube.com/watch?v=37WiwroPMjU

>Ahaha Kira ma nigga
>Troll'd ya well hard
>Yous thot dat nigga was me
>Dumb cracka, bet you a loner white boi
>I'm holla at you later, put yor bitch ass in jail

I have literally zero hope for this movie.

idc if hes black but hes not the same kind of character.
its the same case with light, hes not the same as the light in the anime idc if hes white or asian but the character is different.

Because he clearly isn't a black man in the show.

I am watching Light Up the New World now. I guess this new Netflix adaptation and the old Japanese ones are promoting each other

IMO it's good to have new adaptations to keep franchise alive.

blacks aren't autistic insomniac ultra autistic geniuses

I mean I wouldn't watch that movie if I haven't seen so many threads about the Netflix version.

L was stated by the author to be an anglo mix and his complexion played a role in defining his character as a pale shut-in/genius. You take that away (not to mention his laughable rhetoric presented in the trailer) and all you have is a political statement/dragonball abortion.

>cast an anime character with a white actor
>"WHY NOT ASIAN? RACIST!"
>cast an anime character with a black actor
>"YOU'RE RACIST IF YOU DON'T LIKE THIS!"
I don't care either way, mind you. Just pointing out a shitty hypocrisy.

>AYOOOOOOO HOL UP u be sayin this cracka kira be doin sum racist shit killin mah homies in prisonz and shiet s m h this whiteboi aint know he dealing with KINGZ we gonna cap yo ass

Why is changing L to being black a good thing?

Hardmode: no race or diversity.

Black L is just the liberal cherry on top of a movie that shouldn't exist and is going to bomb terribly.

It's a Netflix movie, it can't "bomb." There's no box office. Same reason ratings/viewership are irrelevant for an HBO show - it's subscription service, you pay for ALL of their content, so it doesn't matter which one gets watched more than others.

blacks have african vibe

original L had muted azn lowgoth vibe

it doesnt help with the death theme

L being black is not a bad choice. It's set in Seattle, about 10% of Seattle is black, so fine, whatever. L appearing in public and announcing to everyone "I'm L" before he knows what Kira is and what he can do is a bad choice. The whole point of the press conference scene in the anime was that it was a fakeout, L wasn't sure how Kira kills people so he sent in a decoy to make sure.

>because he's supposed to be asian

Technically only half-asian. But so what? Almost all the characters are "supposed to be asian" (except for the explicit Americans like Ray, Near's American unit, etc.), because the story is set in Japan. This is a remake set in the US, so naturally everyone will be American.

Where are the tumblrinas that screamed white washing after Major was portrayed by a white woman?

Anyway, fuck anime adaptations

Its promoting the idea that blacks are all dindu nuffins ans making it seem like whites are the criminals. We all know its opposite but jew propaganda continues to ruin potentially good show by not being grounded in reality.

>Its promoting the idea that blacks are all dindu nuffins ans making it seem like whites are the criminals.

So was Death Note promoting the narrative that all loners are dindu nuffins and making it seem like studious, charming people are the criminals? Was it just nerd propaganda?

Tbh senpai racism is probably the only good reason to do it.

Otherwise, you've got a White or an Asian kid dis-proportionally killing black people. Without some sort of positive black role model you'd have a problem. L is arguably the only "good" character in the show. So if you want a contrast to dead black convicts, a black L is your only choice.

A black Light just makes the issue worse and then you've got the added problem of making his motives believable. So you can't blackwash Light. Unless you have him killing oxy addicts as well as felons. That's still a stretch, because "le violent black man" stereotype.

Although, they really could've done something interesting with black Light if they were a bit bolder. Like a dark Chance the Rapper that decides using the death note is the only way to save his Chicago neighborhood. Then have him slowly kill his way up to the food chain, while he goes mostly unnoticed by the overworked local police force except maybe his cop dad (he's killing black people). He then kills some rich real estate profiteer or loan shark and White/Asian FBI L is finally brought in. That changes the plot substantially, but it Americanizes it in a more believable way too. Hell, I'd watch a The Wire / Death Note cross-over. A version of Light that targets more white-collar criminals would be interesting too.

So basically L is black, because there's no other way to make the story palatable to Netflix audiences.
Japan can get away with criminal mass-death and not have it be totally racist even if it has blushes of eugenics. Not so in the US.
Any other justification for the decision is both naive and irrelevant. And that's why it's bad, because it's a half-assed ass-saving maneuver that disrespects the spirit of the original. Which was often provocative and sometimes offensive.

tl:dr, live action anime adaptions suck. Either you go shot-for-shot and then there's no point, or you make dramatic changes and risk pissing everyone off (see: GITS).

Partly yes. But it wasnt from an american perspective originally. It was just Japanese feminist propaganda trying to emasculate the japanese man.

I think you're overthinking the racial aspect. From day one Light's plans were global.

>It was just Japanese feminist propaganda trying to emasculate the japanese man.

lol what

>Same reason ratings/viewership are irrelevant for an HBO show
and yet shows that cost too much and don't have enough viewers get cancelled. even netflix has started doing it now with the get down and sense8.

>it doesn't matter which one gets watched more than others.

But it does. If no one is watching a show then that money is going to waste and they can try other shows or up other budgets to entice more people into paying their subscription.

The studious and charming person represents the American man. All japenese women crave the American man. The loner represents the japanese man. They emasculate the japanese man and promote jap american race mixing with their japanese femisnist propaganda against tha japanese man.

Doesn't matter. He was still canonically Japanese. He doesn't have a conscious knowledge of racial history the way an American would be expected to have. Light was certainly a eugenicist, but he was an eugenicist from a mono-ethnic society with mono-ethnic crime. So, even if his plans were global, their origin was "neater" and he was certainly naive as to the racial implications.

He's still a difficult character. But he's impossible to adapt as an American without the American being profoundly racist. Which kind of kills the point, and casts a big shadow over the whole thing. By refusing to confront that head-on the series is taking the cowards way out. Which I think is fair criticism.

>he kills bullies instead of criminals

>Netflix Light seems to just be a grimy school shooter type
indeed

L is supposed to be a genius. Blacks statistically have an average 90 IQ and practically no historical examples of geniuses (maybe Frederick Douglass and George Washington Carver?)

It breaks immersion in practically every scene to see an extremely intelligent black person.

You think Japanese don't have a conscious knowledge of racial history? With Koreans and Chinese sending them death threats 24/7?

But the studious and charming one is the one who loses in the end.

Still, with about 30 million blacks in the US, surely there's at least one or two geniuses out there.

Not in the same way Americans do, they don't. When Light thought of killing criminals he didn't conceive of killing more Koreans or Chinese people en masse as a side-effect. An American would know they would by virtue of being an American, he'd be killing something like 25% of black men disproportionately. That ads a twist to the character that did not exist before.

I want to second this point, briefly. Light was an interesting character because he had some sympathetic and noble motivations but was profoundly misguided. Your sympathy for him made you feel icky.

By taking him out of the Japanese context they took him out of a situation in which his motives were sympathetic. Now he's a school shooter / racist prick as opposed to a Faustian anti-hero.

Light needs that role to have the intended effect on the audience. Making L black does nothing to restore that. The entire story would need to be reworked to accommodate the realities of American history and culture. And that's why black L sucks, because he's a symptom of a bigger problem. That problem is the cowardice and laziness of the studio.

Idk about 8sense but I know Get Down waa cancelled because of the director, not because Netflix thought it was too expensive/doing poorly.

>"What exactly can I do with this DEATH NOTE"(what the fuck do you think you fucking retard?)
>"put a name down and see what happens"

This annoyed me the most. Ryuk didn't trick Light into becoming a murderer, fucking bullshit. Now he is a sympathetic character if that happens.

Black people DO get paler if they don't get any sun. How can people continue to not know that??

Source: I'm black.

based on an international phenomenon
WITH A NIGGER!

To reiterate: if you are a eugenicist in a mono-ethnic society you are not necessarily also a racist. In a multi-ethnic society, especially a multi-ethnic society that is partly stratified along racial lines, that becomes contradictory if not impossible. In Japanese Light's world, criminals were criminals only. That was their only distinction from broader society. In American Light's world, criminals are also mostly Black and Hispanic. There's no getting around that.

That also has implications for the character because people have fewer negative associations with eugenicists than they do with racists. Racist being a functional slur in some places.

If anything making L black only throws this into starker relief, further alienating the audience from Light.

The bold thing would be to make this issue part of the story, and have the characters really grapple with it. The studio executive approved thing is to make L black to avoid accusations of racism.

>I'm black.

You seem to be forgetting that this L is a nigger.

WE

>I'm black.

post hand or gtfo

What's funny is the trailer is full of comments about whitewashing, not a single comment on L being black

yeah hide face but dont hide all skin so it still is obvious you're a fucking NIGGER

Don't live in enough of a shit hole to have ever encountered one aside from traveling in Europe ironically. Pretty neat though, thanks for letting me know, i tried googling for ages and only found people trying to shill tanning.

Though i still stand by my statement, a pale white, to the degree L was in the original anime, tells a completely different story visually to a paler black person whom similarly avoids sunlight.

Don't plan on watching it anyway since anime is garbage, but hey, learn something new every day.