Looking back, this trilogy is honestly pretty awful

Looking back, this trilogy is honestly pretty awful.

Is it because Iron Man is white?
Would a mexican or a hawaiian iron men be better??

Ironman is a black teenage girl in the comics now. I'm sure she'll take over once RDJ retires.

It's a series that continued to show promise, then suddenly you realized you were three movies in and nothing had ever materialized from that potential. In hindsight all the entries come across as feature-length trailers for a film that doesn't actually exist and never will.

Now that you mention it...

That's a very good way of looking at it. I couldn't agree more. Something just felt "lacking" in all three movies.

Reminder: IM3 made $1.215 billion

So? Box office receipts don't determine how good a film is.

It really doesn't feel like a trilogy. It just felt like three movies.

Fuck Iron Man 3 for making the mandarin to a shitty gag joke and the Iron Patriot as an alternative skin for his buddy who doesn't do shit.

Good as its the best one provided you understand the work of Korine, Malick, Herzog and Andrew Dominik

Iron Man 3 is great

Assblasted nerds are just mad because "not muh mandarin"

I think that's his point.

This

Civil war gave tony stark more depth and back story then iron man 2 and 3 combined.

That twist made me VERY angry. I feel that was the beginning of filmmakers trying to appeal to SJWs in superhero movies.

>Great first movie that changed the film industry as a whole and has yet to be topped by its successors
>Lackluster second movie that gives us some cool character moments, but an overall boring plot
>Amazing standalone third movie that reshapes its central character and creatively reimagines his archnemesis to boot

I dunno, seems pretty cool to me.

Based on what is shown in Homecoming, it seems Stark has come around to seeing things from Cap's perspective. Instead of forcing or trying to convince Parker to reveal his identity, he allows him to do his own thing.

Yikes the whole blowing up the suits to be equal thing was meant be more than a shit ending I guess.

>Amazing standalone third movie
that shit was garbo tho, and not because of the tangerine.

How was it garbage?

How did the President fit in a suit made for Don Weedle, and how did Terrence Howard fit in a suit made for Robert Downhere Jr.?

They should just followed the first movie and kept the focus on armor vs armor, after Iron Monger the villains should have been Titanium Man and Crimson Dynamo.

Civil War was retarded
>we accidentally kill people while saving the world; this UN agreement will prevent that!

It ruined two top tier Iron Man villains for some awkward gag scenes.

pleb filtered

no

Two? Which ones?

Mandarin and who was the other?

Iron Patriot

Idk, mainly the ending... and the plot. I didn't really care that they changed the Mandingo, but he still wasn't interesting nor were his motives. It's almost like they wrote the entire story around one comedic scene.
Tony being homeless or whatever was fun, Tony commanding a bunch of CGI suits to brawl with some orange guy is not. The kid was alright, Pepper Pots being orange is not.

It just didn't grab me.

>looking back
it was always shit user

Whatch the movie again, you retard

All the Marvel/capeshit movies feel this way. It's almost like they are feature-length sitcom episodes. Sure, important things happen in episodes, characters get jobs, get fired, die, give birth, have fights, find love, etc. But at the end of the movie you still have the main characters and you can expect them to start up again next week. The world barely reacts to anything that happens around these characters. In the mcu we've discovered: aliens are real and are hostile, Norse gods are real, a guy discovered near limitless clean energy, and wormholes/bridges across space are possible.

And yet, the world seems pretty... normal. Exactly like a sitcom. One week a character does X. The next week everyone acts the same. At most you get a passing comment in a later episode (remember New York?).

Why would anyone do that?

Am I the only one who likes the name "iron patriot" better then warmachine?

What sold me on the Mandarin twist was the flashback to him standing on the roof about to kill himself. You realize how hard he worked to redeem himself from that moment and you start inferring what all he did to become this Mandarin character.

It's because of RDJ. I feel the same way.

Norman Osborn is/was outside of Marlel movie rights, I think the Iron Patriot armor is gonna return in Infinity Wars as a gift of Tony to Cap after their reconciliation.

Iron Man 1 was a good movie. IM2 and especially 3 are pieces of shit of the highest order

Everything about it was a hot mess.
Why did Tony pretend to not have a bunch of suits lying around for 4/5 of the movie?
Why did the disabled veterans agree to do all that crazy shit like bombings and murders?
Why did the guy want to kill the president?
Why did covering him in the suit and detonating it not kill him, but Pepper shooting a bullet at him and blowing it up did kill him?
What happened to all the other extremis people during the final fight?
Why did Air Force One explode after one depressurization event?
What even was the point of all the bombings?
What was the point of the thinly fleshed out muh oil barons message?
What was the point of the Tony PTSD scenes that led nowhere?
How did his suit run out of power when it runs on a fusion reactor that's constantly running?
Why didn't he immediately blast those helicopters out of the sky?
Why did the guy say "I am the Mandarin" even though the Mandarin was just a puppet?
Why did botanist lady agree to help him?
Why did the guy give Pepper the extremis treatment?
What was with the terrible narration as exposition setup?

The first movie is legit solid, second is the very opposite, third while flawed still managed to turn out alright.

I think you're on to something. At first glance, RDJ seems like the PERFECT actor to play Tony Stark. But in a way, I feel he was a miscast...it might have to do with my disdain for Marvel milking him to the maximum extent in most of the MCU movies but I don't know.

Its was RDJ or Tim Cruise.

Have you even seen the movie? That's literally what the agreement is about.

I never liked that they hinged the whole movie on that explosion when he would have blown up the market, anyway.

As someone who genuinely likes RDJ in most things, he's nearly unbearable as Tony Stark. A lot of snarky condescension and grotesquely inflated egomania.

I don't care how rich you are, if you shit all over all your human relationships like that, you go nowhere in life. It's the same reason I hated that show House.

Then guys that are unbearably autistic see guys like Tony Stark or House on tv and they see it as sort of self-validating that unchecked narcissism and condescension are good things.

If Tony Stark really acted like that he's own company would quickly boot him out of all facets of his own company except being just a figurehead. He would have no genuine friends, just everyoen looking to exploit him.

Life does not reward people that shit all over everyone else and treat everyone else as lower.

tl;dr I really hate RDJ's Iron Man. I like RJD, I think he's just gotta check that unbearable narcissism that he brings to the table as Tony Stark.

>Recently rewatch all the early Marvel movies because they're on TV
>They're all dull as fuck

Why the fuck do people cream themselves over it?

All the phase one movies are garbage except IM1 which is mediocre and Avengers which is decent.

But it's not like the later ones are any better.

>Why did Tony pretend to not have a bunch of suits lying around for 4/5 of the movie?
I don't recall the specifics, but there was an issue getting them out of the rubble. That, or he didn't have the tech to call them over. I remember there being a very obvious reason stated as to why he didn't call them until the final fight scene.
>Why did the disabled veterans agree to do all that crazy shit like bombings and murders?
Because they were probably brainwashed or resentful towards society?
>Why did the guy want to kill the president?
Because he controlled the vice president. This was clearly shown in the film.
>Why did covering him in the suit and detonating it not kill him, but Pepper shooting a bullet at him and blowing it up did kill him?
External damage vs internal damage
>What happened to all the other extremis people during the final fight?
Killed by Iron Man suits
>Why did Air Force One explode after one depressurization event?
You'd have to ask the guy who designed Air Force One in the MCU.
>What even was the point of all the bombings?
To create demand for weapons and new kinds of soldiers that Killian would then supply. His control of the VP (who, after the assassination of POTUS, would become the new POTUS) would have helped him seal the deal. He wanted to control the war on terror.
>What was the point of the thinly fleshed out muh oil barons message?
I don't even know what the fuck you're referring to here.
>What was the point of the Tony PTSD scenes that led nowhere?
They led to the resolution of the film - Tony deciding to take a break from being a crazy Iron Man suit designer and focus on Pepper for a while.
>How did his suit run out of power when it runs on a fusion reactor that's constantly running?
It was a prototype that probably used a secondary energy source or a new, untested reactor.
>Why didn't he immediately blast those helicopters out of the sky?
Because they started launching an attack before he could get a suit on.

This is the same universe where it has never been addressed why (at least until Civil War) Cap, Widow, and Hawkeye do not have any Iron Man armor. He obviously trusts other people with his tech (he gave SHIELD his repulsor tech in Cap 2.)

Yes, I find that is perhaps the biggest plot hole in the MCU.

>Why did the guy say "I am the Mandarin" even though the Mandarin was just a puppet?
Because the puppet Mandarin was an elaborate distraction from the real thing - a Mandarin is a powerful Chinese warlord, which is what Killian was modeling himself after.
>Why did botanist lady agree to help him?
Probably because she felt bad about killing innocent people and knew her boss was going fucking crazy?
>Why did the guy give Pepper the extremis treatment?
To fuck with Tony. I think he mentioned he was going to overheat her or something like that.
>What was with the terrible narration as exposition setup?
Explained in the post-credits scene.

I only watched the first one and have almost zero interest in seeing the others despite enjoying it.

Yes exactly this. Things like Steve's random love interest in Civil War, and the widow-hulk relationship, and all that other nonsense they pump into these movies are complete filler and a crutch for legitimate character development.

It's like a very dull tv show, say Walking Dead or something. Every episode bores you to tears but leaves you midly interested in the next one. It's the promise of a bigger story and the fact that the movies are so forgettable that you watch one of them you don't remember the previous ones being just the same, the key to their success.

Now binge watching the whole thing is absolute torture

You're not missing anything.

The main problem with Iron Man 2 is the excessive shilling for the MCU. Putting in Black Widow in the movie was a HUGE mistake in my opinion.

And the main problem with Iron Man 3 is the Mandarin twist, but there are many other problems that plague it. There are numerous plot holes, for instance.

The biggest problem with IM2 is the main villain was a gary stu, but also had some sort of mental illness and bird poop in his hair the whole movie. They also incessantly shit on the Hammer character to the point where you wonder how they were ever competition for Stark.

The birthday party scene was capekino though

>birthday party scene

Are you talking about the part in Monaco? I'll admit, that was actually a very enjoyable scene. That's the only time where Vanko really shines, other than that he's quite forgettable. They could have made all of the villains in the trilogy so much better, it's a shame. Stane was the best, but still he wasn't executed the best he could have been.

because it was riding the coat tails of Avengers success.

that said I actually like Iron Man 3 even though it had studio interference it felt the most like the director had control rather than it being yet another stale MCU film.

might just be because im a big Shane Black fan and enjoyed it as a Shane Black film.

he's talking about the scene where Tony DJ's while in the Iron Man suit.

>Instead of forcing or trying to convince Parker to reveal his identity, he allows him to do his own thing.
But the identity shit was never part of Tony's side in the MCU. He just wanted the Avengers to need UN approval to act internationally. You're confusing him with comic Tony.

>hawaiian iron man
>has a surfing mode on his suit and battles another suited surfer

villains are consistently the weakest part of these movies, especially considering they seem to die more often than not at the end.

Took you long enough they were all shit from the start

>Iron Man
Good competent movie. Robert Downey Jr is great. Jeff Bridges is hilarious.

>Iron Man 2
Boring and feels flat. Mickey Rourke is the best part in it and he's not in it nearly enough IMO.

>Iron Man 3
Entertaining but forgettable. I don't really care about the Mandarin plot twist. Quips and jokes.

Iron Man doesn't really have good villains, does he? Mandarin is pretty corny. Whiplash is pretty bad. The rest of Iron Man's villains seems to be either "Tony's Demons in his Head", "corporate espionage" or other heroes that don't like Tony's way of doing stuff (Civil War).

Ultimate Iron Man is spanish

not sure, not really into Iron Man comics. the books were apparently pretty dull until RDJ came along to play him, now he's literally RDJ in the comics.

i was speaking to the MCU as a whole.

Pretty much this.

I have the feeling that the whole shared universe only brought ruin to the quality of Marvel movies.

Iron Man 3 is one of the only MCU movie that has any sort of thematic coherence in its screenplay that doesn't feel like it was totally hacked to death by focus testing and reshoots. Loses most of its steam after the (excellent) Mandarin reveal, but it's still one of the better entries.

The first one is ridiculously overrated, though, and the second is a glorified Avengers commercial and maybe the worst thing Marvel Studios has done.

#litty

Yeah I feel this way. Doctor Stange and GotG especially could both be interesting standalone universes but instead they're both gonna be barely fleshed out so the other shit can get more screentime.
Honestly I don't think it's possible to have the Thor, Dr Strange and GotG movies in the same shared universe and still make sense but that's a different point entirely.

>I don't think it's possible to have the Thor, Dr Strange and GotG movies in the same shared univers
The mere idea of it sounds like what you'd expect from a shitty fanfiction a kid would make by merging all his favorite shows together.

It absolutely did. The MCU is basically the world's biggest budget TV show with Kevin Feige as the showrunner, demanding uniformity in content and form across the board. Anyone with their own vision (Edgar Wright, Joss Whedon, even Ed Norton) is cast aside because they just want people who can follow a formula. To their credit, it's a successful formula and a money-printing machine, but it's totally antithetical to genuine cinema.

Yeah it's such a melting pot of random shit that it doesn't add up at all. Especially when things are added after the fact and make previous events make no sense.
Remember back to Thor 1, Asgard protected the '9 realms' and that was some big deal. But now we have an entire galaxy AND and infinite multiverse. So are the 9 realms different planets or different dimensions? And why do the Asgardians only care about those 9 in particular?
Then in Thor 2 wasn't the elf dude a spiritual threat? Where were all the wizards during this, or during the battle of New York when their sanctuary could have been destroyed?
This is barely even scratching the surface on all the ridiculous shit in this universe and already it's falling apart.

>Anyone with their own vision (Edgar Wright, Joss Whedon, even Ed Norton) is cast aside because they just want people who can follow a formula
What's the exact reason for removing Norton from the Hulk? I thought his movie was pretty good aside from the generic final act, a problem shared with Iron Man.

>it's a successful formula and a money-printing machine, but it's totally antithetical to genuine cinema
The ratings these movies get are mind boggling.

Iron Man 3 is capekino.

Brainlets who complain about the Mandarin or Stark using a shitty suit for the entire movie will never understand.

IM3 is fine, just not great. Certainly could have been better.

The MCU makes the tragic mistake of putting quantity over quality, which is perfectly fine when you target kids since their naive mindsets doesn't know any better. It's the same mistake Singer did with Apocalypse.

>t.reddit
tv-tier dialogs, effects and action. End yourselves.

Norton disagreed with the editing of the film. If I remember right, he wanted it a lot darker, there was supposed to be a scene at the beginning when he went to the arctic and tried to kill himself. When Marvel disagreed he threatened to pull out of promoting the film and pretty much soured his relationship with them completely. At the time it seemed like he was being a diva (not the first time he's done something like this) and he probably was, but it was definitely a sign of whats to come with the studio.

Imagine Norton having to go through that embarassing romance subplot with Widow.

all three would be slowed down by the suit, negating any usefulness of them.

Maybe for Cap, but Hawkeye and BW aren't useful anyway. And Tony can make a non-bulky tech suit for Spidey so why not the rest?

You make a good point on the spidey suit, but it doesn't really give the protection of a proper IM. If the suit doesn't off the protection what purpose would it serve?

Iron Man is already more useful that BW and Hawkeye put together though, what reason is there to still have them pissing about on the ground fighting with fists and bows when you could strap flying rocket suits to them?

Iron Man 3 is literally the only MCU film that can be considered kino. Everything else is Kevin Feige trash.

>Iron Man 3 is literally the only MCU film that can be considered kino

Elaborate.

the first Iron Man is on par with Spider Man 2

Pepper Pots was the absolute worst part about the Iron Man movies. Fact.

The first Captain America feels more like a Joe Johnston film than a MCU one.

>Its an Iron Man fights a bunch of knock-off Iron Men episode

I'll have to rewatch IM but SM2 is such a magnificent piece of superhero movie.

>not BW

I can barely remember anything from that one aside from skinny cap.

Ultron was hard to finish.

>its a Black Widow tanks a grenade to the face that knocks her through the door of an armored vehicle and stands up with a little dirt on her face

Not in a million years. It's charming. RDJ's schtick hadn't gotten old yet and Jeff Bridges is always extremely watchable. But Favreau is a point-and-shoot hack. Not a single set-piece in that movie could stand up against the worst set-piece in a Raimi film.

It's not especially memorable, but it doesn't follow the same lame plot beats as 90% of Marvel Studios' output and it feels like it was made by a human being and not a market research group.

It actually builds Tony independent from his suit.