NASA has plan to save humankind

ladbible.com/technology/technology-nasa-wants-to-drill-into-yellowstone-super-volcano-to-save-humanity-20180127

NASA reckons the Yellowstone super volcano is a larger threat to life on Earth than any asteroid, mega-tsunami, or potential alien invasion.

To keep you informed, the Wyoming-based volcano is terrifyingly massive, and if it explodes then we're facing an apocalyptic scenario, instigating a nuclear winter and human extinction through starvation.

NASA was so worried about this outcome, it plans to avoid a volcanic future by drilling into the magma chamber and cooling the whole thing down.

The way NASA will do this is by piercing a six-mile hole into the volcano and running water into it. This would be pumped through at high-pressure, entering the crust at outdoor temperatures, getting heated to 662f inside, and then returning to the surface.

Of course, this technically complex operation doesn't come without its dangers. Brian Wilcox of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory said: "The most important thing with this is to do no harm.

"If you drill into the top of the magma chamber and try and cool it from there, this would be very risky. This could make the cap over the magma chamber more brittle and prone to fracture. And you might trigger the release of harmful volatile gases in the magma at the top of the chamber, which would otherwise not be released."

You might ask why NASA would undertake such a task, but as the National Geographic points out, the agency is preparing for the worst and trying to prevent that from happening.

The hope is to avoid the drill from touching the magma, and instead keep it sitting above, remaining in the hydrothermal fluids. By adding water to the fluids, NASA will cool down the volcano's heat significantly.

It's an expensive undertaking, but then if you're talking about the future of humanity, it seems like a price worth paying.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/0XgpYXVN-Kk?t=1m58s
greentumble.com/the-global-effects-of-a-supervolcano-eruption/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

wtf I'm scared now

NASA gonna ruin some fantastic happenings

or actually cause them?

Would it actually be a rather large explosion or would it be like a normal volcanic eruption which just goes on for so long it covers the earth in cloud?

If it's the prior should I just move to Wyoming so that if it explodes then I just fucking die instantly and don't have to kill myself in the coming months to avoid either starving to death or psychotic people?

Never mind I just noticed the sentence at the bottom of the article.

>Lets pump tons of water into a volcano!
>In the middle of the mountains!
>In the middle of the continent!

>What could go wrong?!

>saving humanity

Disgusting.

Yeah think I'll trust you over NASA desu

How are they going to move the billions of cubic meters of water in the middle of a continent and up a huge ass mountain range? What do they plan to do with the heated and probably contaminated water? How are they going to disperse the tremendous amount of heat extracted without destroying the local and possibly global climate?

Very much so related
youtu.be/0XgpYXVN-Kk?t=1m58s

>What do they plan to do with the heated and probably contaminated water?
Protip: Water doesn't exist as a liquid at 662F

>heated and probably contaminated water
Shoot it back in once it cools, you dumb shitalian.

>steam is not water
>you can just let billions of metric tons of superheated steam mixed with sulphide gases in the atmosphere without any repercussion

>the local climate won't be impacted by the heath exchange
>you can recycle water forever without any issue of sediment and corrosive substances buildup fucking over your piping

>local climate won't be impacted by the heath exchange
>being this retarded
I'm sure NASA'll figure it out, you terrone.

>thermal pollution is not a thing
And I'd just like to know how NASA is going to tackle those issues

Steam isn't water in the sense that a gas is not a liquid, which was exactly what I said
And assuming the steam doesn't trigger a pneumatic eruption, I'd prefer some acidic rain and global climate change to being buried under billions of tons of ash

I hope Vesuvius turns you into a statue, you terrone

Yeah, maybe you should ask them.

>Steam isn't water
American education at its finest

>muh human extinction
Would not happen. Only some parts of North America would be uninhabitable.

>tfw you will never be a NASA hero and save humanity by sacrificing yourself drilling into the heart of a volcano

>jew WANTS to dive into the biggest oven in the world

but the US being destroyed would actually save the world

NO!
They promised me the world engulfed in flames and darkness!
Someone start a petition to make them STOP

This desu, only Muricans would be hurt

How the hell is this saving humanity? The effects would produce something similar to a very light version of nuclear winter, it might even counteract global warming

a supervolcano eruption killing most people would do the earth some good

either way we win :D do it for the lulz

>greentumble.com/the-global-effects-of-a-supervolcano-eruption/
>During a supervolcano eruption, there would be a great deal of ash falling in the surrounding region
>Supervolcano eruptions can also change the global climate for years to decades, causing much colder weather
sounds like a win-win

:DD steam bath