Annoying stuff in your language

x can sound like ks, sh, s and z depending on the word

's' sounds like 's' in the beginning of words but it sounds like 'z' if you put it in the middle of a word so you need 'ss' to make it sounds like 's' again but you also have this other letter 'ç' that also sounds like 's'. It's used when you need ca, co, cu to sound like an 's' instead of a 'k' sound.

Other urls found in this thread:

portugues.uol.com.br/gramatica/tampouco-ou-tao-pouco.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Gendered nouns. It's just a mess with tons of exceptions.

it is considered a dialect

People think it's related to Russian or Chinese.

The formal type is academically constructed and nobody actually speaks it.

I dont fucking understand scottish people

Also, I never understood why we roll the 'r' that is in the middle of a word, but don't roll the 'r' that is at the beginning of a word like in spanish or italian. And if the 'r' is in the middle of a word and is followed by another 'r' it shouldn't be rolled.

Are you saying that "Austrian" is a language?

None, all vowels and consonants are pronounced differently.

eu is randomly pronounced oe
Sometimes you can't tell if something is plural when it isn't written
Conjugation
And the fucking liaisons

Also, questions are a fucking mess

At least half of the speakers are illiterate in the native scripts. (The most common one has 22 letters.)

Being told it's like Arabic due to stereotypes when they're largely unintelligible. And Arabs claiming they can understand it when some words sound the same.

The Greek predicament of being treated as the language of dead people and only worth knowing for history, but twice as much as Greek.

"Of" got attached to "son" so "sonof" is a word. So sometimes "son of" is "sonof of".

My language is logical and near perfect. The only gripe I have is the poetic collective nouns that we sometimes have. E.g. one house is sebuah rumah (a fruit of house), but one apple is sebiji apel (a seed of apple).

Fourth person verbs
>to see him/her
1 niwâpamâw -i see him
2 kiwâpamâw -you see him
3 wâpamew -she sees him
3’ (4) wâpameyiwa -she sees him
>awa napew kîwâpamew ana mahikana kîwâpameyiwa wâposwa
>this man saw those wolves, seeing (a) rabbit(s)

the best i can think of atm. tfw too complex

>Sometimes you can't tell if something is plural when it isn't written
>Conjugation
Glad to know this stuff also upsets the frenchman.
In my highschool french classes I always wondered how french people could understand each other while cutting off so many letters.

Well I always thought Portuguese was an ugly language

There's nothing annoying in my language.

>native language
Did your parents/grandparents teach you or did you learn in school? None of the native people I know really speak any of their peoples languages.

Too many words like "Democracy" aren't pronounced the way they are spelled.

I went to Glasgow and everyone sounded like a poo in loo.
Did the Scottish conquered India?

It has 6 letters or combinations for the sound ee, they all sound completely the same. The rules that determine whether an article ends on an ν(n) or not in the accusative are about a full page long.

My grandparents taught a bit. Had cree class in the third grade. Hadnt learnt much since. Been intensively relearning it for the last couple years to teach my younger cousins to speak cree

It's more of a spoken language than a written language so none of the rules for writing it are actually rules and pretty much every verb is an irregular verb.
Also it doesn't have words for a lot of things so just borrows them from english.

what language is this?

I assume Aramaic or some shit

ayylmoa we actually covered this in my semantics class for my Linguistics degree
Glad to hear you're trying to learn your people's language. I wish you all the luck in the world.

Diminutives

In English I hate that aside from borrowing words from different language groups, we actually borrowed/kept their plural form rules as well. But it's irregular. We don't always keep their rules.

Germanic:
One sheep, two sheep
One child, two children
One sky, two skies

Greek:
One school, two schools
One platypus, two platypodes (some people force a Latin rule of two platypi)
One democracy, two democracies

Latin/Romance:
One mortgage, two mortgages
One judge, two judges

Heh. We have them too, and they're useful.

There's a difference between being "quente" - "warm" and "quentinho" - """litte warm""". Some languages will never know what it means to be "quentinho".

We have basically no such thing as a regular noun.
Certain dialects are not mutually intelligible, even if they are officially designated as being so.
Grammar and declensions and shit are a big fucking mess.

WHAT FUCKING SOUND IS 'gh' SUPPOSED TO MAKE

What do you mean?

Here, R (beginning of the word) and rr (middle of the word) always sound the same - either rolled or scratched depending on your accent, but they are interchangeable.

Lone 'r's in the middle of the words are read with a short alveolar flap, like in "primeiro".

Yeah even then, the verbs change whether the verb is in the beginning or middle of a sentence/clause. What i wrote could be said, but no one would say it like that, cause i was bending the rules abit.
But yeah, thanks man. Not often i get encouragement here on Sup Forums
Have these too, thankfully there easy af.
add -sis at the end of a noun
>minôs -cat
>minôsis -kitten
>iskwew -woman
>iskwesis -girl

The worst part about English are the phrasal verbs. Most of them are logical, but a ton are basically agreed upon terms and are basically creole-tier and confusing.

"Set" is an absolute nightmare with this.

You do begin understanding them after a while, but why you need to specify "sit down"/"sit up" as opposed to just "sit" when the context is always there was weird for a while.

Though Spanish is a really musical and poetic language, I'd prefer if it was a bit less analytic, I don't like to use "que" that much.

Wrong opinion

How easy is it for a Portuguese speaker to get the proper pronunciation of the voiced and voiceless "th" in English? I know for speakers of certain languages (like French) it can be very difficult to learn.

Are you Assyrian?

I don't think I know anyone with trouble with saying it isolated.

I've known a couple of people that say "sink" instead of "think", but those are usually cases of older people who learned English at a later point, or just never cared to say them.

Eitherway, most people really have no trouble with it. In Portuguese you don't really have the sound and it would require you to have a lisp to say it.

Castilian does have it, though, so I'm certain it's easier for them. I wonder if they have trouble with "s" in general.

What language are you talking about?
>Not often i get encouragement here on Sup Forums
I'm a huge supporter of people saving their language from language death. Even here in Australia, I hate abos with a passion, but I always support them keeping their language.
Entiendo lo que estas diciendo. Me parece que la lengua es mas poetica que analitica, aunque lo que dices tiene razon :^)

Most annoying thing about Irish is that the standard language is shit. It was made as a compromise between the dialects. Dialects are good though.

Diminutives are based

The voiced "th" is quite easy, since it sounds almost the same as "d" in portuguese, the voiceless "th" is just like "f" in portuguese, but with a little less strain to the tongue, also easy but it requires some practice

Estuve buscando formas de decir esas tres frases sin usar "que" y no pude.

Aqui também não consegui, mas o nosso "que" é menos vocal que o vosso, por isso disfarça.

>What language are you talking about?
English. If you disagree, tell me what this sentence in my Appalachian dialect says without looking it up:

"I was afeared to take my young'uns to the schoolhouse out on the skift, and the missus was agin' it too. But I ain't no chickenshit, so I drug em down a piece where they was a bald and could get by safe. I knowed there wadn't nary a chance I'd make it home in time to get her out her bloomers before she'd et, so I reckoned to go back up that mountain by the caty wompus way."

Thanks, that's pretty cool to know.

Interesting. We do not approach the "th" from the "f". We just use an "s" sound with our tongues a bit out.

>também não
Comprendo esta construcción. En español usaríamos "tampoco" ¿Hay algo equivalente en portugués?

Sim, mas ainda separado - tão pouco.

Normalmente é usado para dar um tom de gradação e ênfase, mas costuma aparecer com um "nem". Ontem não choveu, nem tão pouco nevou.

O correto é tampouco, não?

The part about the dialect isn't what I disagree with. I'm just confused as to why you said
>declensions....are a big fucking mess
What noun declension do we have in standard English?

Also, as for translating your dialect gobblygook, my punt is:
"I was scared to take my children to school out on the boat, and my wife was the same. But I'm not a pussy, so I ? on their ass and could pass safely. I knew there wasn't a chance that I would make it back home in time to get her out of her underwear before she had eaten, so I thought that I would go back up the mountain by the mountain cat's way"
Que interesante. Pero es simplemente una palabra semantica. No es raro que es muy usada.
wew, acabo de darme cuenta que "tampoco" viene de una mezcla de "tan" y "poco". No he hecho caso a eso antes de que habria leido tu ejemplo de "tão pouco"

Claro, es lo mismo en español. Digamos que me da pereza hablar y quiero decir "Ayer no llovió ni nevó", ¿sería correcto decir "não choveu nem nevou"?

"tampouco" não dá erro no dicionário do computador, de facto.

honestamente nunca tinha escrito e sempre assumi que era "tão pouco", que interessante.

>nem nevou
sim, seria a maneira normal de o fazer.

Aqui, usamos "tampouco" e "tão pouco" de maneira diferente: portugues.uol.com.br/gramatica/tampouco-ou-tao-pouco.html

Sí, tan poco es equivalente a "so little" y tampoco a "neither"

Não, vocês têm razão, tampouco é a palavra usada nas mesmas circunstâncias aqui e aí.

Eu é que nunca tinha escrito e sempre assumi que era a mesma construção, mas estava errado.

"What noun declension do we have in standard English?"
I'm sorry, I was being retarded. I was referring to verb conjugation, not noun declension.

Interesting try on that translation btw. Not quite there.

En realidad no me molesta tanto su función sino que se repita tanto con la misma ortografía, preferiría que se distinguiera como el "qui" y el "que" francés

Nós temos "que" "quem" e "quê"

que é para coisa, quem é para pessoas, quê é para perguntas

Oh sí, que, quién y qué también se distinguen en español y con las mismas funciónes: cosas, personas y preguntas. Me refiero al "que" sin tilde en particular, en realidad no conozco teoréticamente en cuáles situaciones es usado, pero al menos me gustaría que en las comparaciones fuese distinto como el inglés "than" y "that"

The gramma rules are so fucked nobody actually know's they're supposed to be there. Guess our counting is weird as fuck too, but growing up with it, none of this shit bothers me.

I taught Mozambican high schoolers (obv. Portuguese speakers) and the -th pronunciation was very, very difficult for them. We'd dedicate a serious amount of pronunciation time to just those letters.

We have very simple rules, with some exceptions.
And exceptions on the exceptions.
And exceptions on the exceptions on the exceptions.
And exceptions on the exceptions on the exceptions on the exceptions.

Also, we have genders but nothing to differentiate them. Basically the rule to know you've got it right is "it should sound right".