the korean war

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pupdeq1MoVw
youtube.com/watch?v=s9CcHsSBg8E
douglastwitchell.com/scrambled_words.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

ancient greece

watch Nirvana, the italian film from the 90s if you haven't already

I want more stuff like Slacker (linklaters)
More things with the same vibe and aesthetic as taiwan and hong kong cinema in the 90s

What are the best kino with this setting? No cheesy shit please.

That image is gorgeous.

More like apocalypto, that shit was cool.

only recent one i can think of is Troy
knock yourself out

Its from an upcoming game. I have no idea if it will be good, but the atmosphere looks incredible.

Anything without niggers

swords and sorcery

can't think of anything else

Oh but to answer your question I would like literal "science" fiction.

less guardians of the galaxy and more Interstellar or Primer?

Eh more like a Half Life or Portal movie or something.

Not even meming
It's a great movie

Snyder should be grateful, that movie made his entire career

definitely a great action movie

Yes.
It doesn't matter what setting
But "gritty" historical fiction with bonus points for not being set in medieval Europe.

1970s Big City
Swampy Shithole

Maybe because he adapted something directly?

Snyder's problem is that he has shit plotting.
He is great at making amazing moments, but shit at stringing them together.

With 300, he already had Miller's comic to guide him.
He should stick to adaptations, or at least have a head writer who can tell him to fuck off.

Just gimme some hard SF and not give a fuck about explanation or exposition.

Mote in God's Eye movie would be great, for example.

>Cyberpunk anything
NOOOONOOOONONONONONO
pls no

police drama

There's nothing wrong with cyberpunk.

Nothing wrong with GOOD cyberpunk
We need it now more than ever.

The problem is that modern cyberpunk stands for everything that the original sentiments hated.

Make a cyberpunk movie with minimal CGI and I will like it

I like cyberpunk because one day it will be real.

That's precisely what I hate about it

It already is.
Except that instead of an obvious dystopia, everything is bright and happy and there's nothing wrong with anything.

Except for the fact that apparently our president was chosen by hackers.

Westerns without much violence, but what is there is quick and brutal, with lasting effect to the character.

>prosthestic limbs and eyes getting more advanced
>high rise futuristic buildings in asian metropolises
>electric cars

we are already pretty close, near future settings are always cool

Open Range?

>the korean war

My grandpa fought in the korean war. He was a sniper. I'm pretty sure he just killed people for fun by the sounds of it.

wifes grandpa was a marine sharpshooter in korea, toughest sob I know

I've never asked about it, and he never talks about it. All I've heard was that he was in the bad stuff, which I take to mean the chinese counterattack

Cosmic horror (Lovecraft-type horror)

Gothpunk (as in, Vampire the Masquerade)

The only thing my grandpa said was that he was a sniper and that it was fun till people started shooting back.

t. pleb

My grandpa never even fired a shot. He accidentally blew up the base and they sent him home with a medal

Nigga I just want my fix. Both the "genres" I listed are VERY poorly represented in film. There's great literature out there, but hardly any good films.

for time periods id say turn of the century, not the cow boy era of the 1880s but not the roaring 20s either. I like 1910-15 eras to be more common

location, anything thats not east or west coast. Im tired of NYC or LA writers thinking those places are the center of the universe. Small town in blue collar mid west america or parts of the south that dont scream deliverance. Basically anything that says middle class (not fucking poor and saying its middle class)

There was no middle class in the 1910s

people are testing exosuits and experimental chips for the spine that send signals to bypass breaks in spines so paralyzed people can move limbs and maybe walk again, its really cool

A movie about the Russian royal family during the Bolshevik revolution would be pretty based.
Or really about the Czars at any point.

those were two different answers I gave

Has Big Guy For You really been that much of a menace?

this is probably the only interesting thing that came out of E3

this and metro exodus are the only things im excited about

tbf I'd rather 2017 hollywood stayed away from europe

Ori 2 will probably be good too.

I want a modern take of the movie Hackers.

Mr Robot

I want a retro take of the show Mr Robot.

>mr normie

I want a Mrs. Robot arcade machine

>retro take
how would that work?

Have you seen the movie Hackers?

That isn't the same.

Film Noir + Space

I've been reading a lot of Robert A. Heinlein stuff.

Try (book) Caves of Steel by Asimov

Akihabara

I have that in my library. I've been waiting for a power outage to start reading more. I'm in the middle of the final book of The Ember War right now.

Whatever the setting of Drive and Lost in Translation is. Comfy city settings?

>I want more stuff like Slacker (linklaters)

Watch Gummo.

>The Ember War
Never heard of it before now
Is it good?

By the way, if you're a sci-fi fan, I have to recommend Iain M. Banks.
Can't stop recommending him. He's GOAT as far as I'm concerned when it comes to self-aware sci-fi

I want a movie like GATE
but I don't want it to be cheesy friendship tier faggotry like that chinese cartoon

just an army, most likely US, using modern materiel to fuck up magic users and fantasy creatures

noir?

>Is it good?

On a whim, I actually started listening to the audio book (audiobookbay.me) There's 9 books. It is much better than I expected. I listen to it on the road mostly.

>Iain M. Banks

Never heard of his books before. Sounds like it may be refreshing. Have you read the Lensmen series and Skylark series, by E.E. "Doc" Smith? Old stuff. "War Eternal" by M.R. Forbes is also good.

Holocaust comedy

you might like the book Snow Crash, it's cyberpunk but with a more realistic sensibility. The main character literally steals memes for a living, the Internet is filled with holographic penises, and the villain is a globalist richfag importing refugees to create a single global hivemind

So, it takes place in modern day with no actual sci-fi or fiction involved.

sounds like 2017: the Novel

I've heard of the Lensman series only because of how it influenced, apparently, Starship Troopers.
I've only read stories by the other two.
Never series.
I'll check the library for them if you recommend it.

Bank's books are.. I don't want to say deconstructive of sci-fi as a whole, but it's definitely deconstructive of the Star Trek style Federation.
And Banks has such a fucking charming ass writing style.

If you like Star Trek and you like science fiction, read Consider Phlebas, Player of Games, and my absolute favourite sci-fi book, Use of Weapons

Read it.
I liked it half as much as I liked to because it couldn't decide whether to be a serious prediction of the future or a mockery of it.

Like the Pizza Deliverator, which is the biggest American business dominated by a Mafia, was total satire
But the rest of the book was "real".
And then there were atomic power superdogs who worked for a Chinese restaurant chain.
But then there were real extrapolations of blog shit.

It just kept oscillating between real predictions and stupid absurd intentionally crazy mockeries of predictions.

I love Stephenson though

This has potential.

Call up Tarantino.
Inglorious Basterds as a good Jew persecution comedy

>it influenced, apparently, Starship Troopers.

I'm not really sure how.

Lensmen and Skylark series are a type of old genre fiction. Smart characters in those are actually smart and are usually always a step ahead of the villains. Most people who don't like it, don't like it for that reason. There's also a great deal of techno-jargon about the sci-fi tech. Like how sci-fi used to be. There was also a knockoff anime movie Lensmen based on the series. I don't recommend watching that. These books are short, so you can read 2 of them in no time really. Some real life military stuff was developed from these books, fyi.

Are you fucking retarded?

>list of other books

Noted! Already torrenting the entire Banks collection as a taster since I don't own that in my library.

I love that era of sci-fi.
Asimov and Clarke are big on the consummate professional scientists and engineers.
Sounds like I'd love the Lensmen series.
I'll look it up. Have you read Clarke's "Tales of the White Hart"? Good collection.

And yeah, I've heard Lensmen were an inspiration only because of how Lensmen had power armour before the Mobile Infantry

Speaking of Starship Troopers, here's a genre I'd like to see more of: Space Marines on a bug hunt.

Words or read?
I love his books as as audiobooks when they're read by Peter Kenny.
Banks loves crazy ass names that have no basis in Earth culture.
Reading them sounds awkward, but Kenny says them with such conviction and casualness that they seem normal.

settings don't make good movies

Since we're off movies now, try Old Man's War.
It's about space marines fighting stupid battles.

movies don't make good settings

I don't remember the specific names, but I think I've read most all of Clark's stuff. I have like 10k real life books in my home library and there's a few different collections like that.

"Various" readers it seems.

"Luke Daniels" is the reader for The Ember War, he's spot on. It is hard to find good readers for audio books. Surprisingly, Wil Wheaton was amazing for "Ready Player One" which is a must listen to.

>Banks loves crazy ass names that have no basis in Earth culture.

I use much the same in my own books, since non-Earth cultures have non-Earth names. I usually see names as a symbol and don't sound them out when reading so weird names are fine.

No, but I think we're all expecting good movies to also have these settings.
A sorta ok movie can be made great with an amazing setting

How's his other stuff? The description for The Diamond Age really turned me off

WWI, whaling, Pirates and the exploration era

I haven't read Diamond Age for the same reason (sounds like Pedo bait?).
But Anathem is really amazing.
And I'm reading Seveneves now and the first 100 pages is nerd crack.

Anathem is really really good though.

Babylon, Assyria, or Sumeria.

>I usually see names as a symbol and don't sound them out when reading so weird names are fine.
I do the same.
I think all dedicated readers do that to all words.

I talk to some mates a lot about books, and you'd be surprised how few actually do that "words as symbols things"
Like they need to sound out each letter.

When I read, I don't read letters, I see each string of letters as a whole complete symbol.
Who needs to read "t" "h" and "e" to get the word as "the"?

Apparently many folk

Read the Culture series though. It's amazing. I gotta recommend it again. Banks is a clever fucker with a charming ass writing style.
Even if you read each book solely as a moment to moment story, it's still good. It gets better if you step back and go meta on it.

talking about lensman

youtube.com/watch?v=s9CcHsSBg8E

>Zero Gameplay: The Trailer

wow suck dick double pleb

>Trhee is a book out trhee, the tlite of wchih I do not raclel. All the wdors in the book are wrteitn jsut lkie tihs and it is eailsy redabale.

I have the culture series on tap, right now.

You're implying that the Culture series has hard to read words in it.
Only the names.

Don't shit-talk the Culture, mate

The quote and non-quote are unrelated. The quoted section was for how we read words. That style scrambles the insides of words longer than 4 characters. The first and last letters are left alone.

Here:

douglastwitchell.com/scrambled_words.php

Oh yeah
Then we're both on the same page
Sorry about that.

Go read that shit. Or listen to it (read by Peter Kenny).

The series is pretty much non-continuous, but books like Use of Weapons only get their full load off if you're familiar with the universe, even if each book doesn't necessarily require the knowledge of the prior ones

Will do. That is why I like world building series. By the time you get to the end, you really get all the very fine nuances.

Yeah ditto
I love the same process in reading about a new world.
Shit that doesn't straight out explain shit to you.
But by the end, you just get it.

personally, I'd really like to see period piece set in 2008