Why are French people so rude ?

Other urls found in this thread:

lesavaistu.fr/dire-appetit-serait-mal-poli/
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marseille_soap
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Small penises

suck my fat cock you fucking nigger shitskin

>assblasted by the truth

It's a meme. We just tend to avoid company and to ignore strangers because that's in our culture, and many foreigners interpret this as rude. There's also the fact that we have different rules of politeness that foreigners are unaware of, which often results in them offending a French person and being treated rudely.

We're not!

i shit on your fat fuck country, i shit on your fat retarded president and i shit on your retarded worthless """people"""

Relax frog, I was just busting your balls. Not cool to post that picture. You took it way too far

>I fart in your general direction

>different rules of politeness
such as?

Woah, so this is the power of European banter

Saying "bonjour" to start a conversation, addressing strangers as "Monsieur" or "Madame", saying "bon appétit" before eating... stuff like that

why should we respect lower beings

That’s common sense everywhere. You start a conversation by saying hello everywhere I think.

>Saying "bonjour" to start a conversation
so you have to say that to friends and family too?
>addressing strangers as "Monsieur" or "Madame"
meh
>saying "bon appétit" before eating
That is just autistic.

English speakers can substitute it with "excuse me" actually, but it's not okay in France.

Nice

>that is just autistic
if you think about it it's not any different from what the japs do
>itadakimasu

ignore this guy, he is some sort of redneck obviously and i have no idea what he's going on about

>excuse me
I have never used excuse me to start a conversation. I usually say that when I have a question or I need to get the persons attention and need to move on.

Meeting family is even worse. You have to kiss everyone on the cheeks. As for friends, they'd probably be okay with a short handshake or a "Hé"/"Salut".
>t. Ghetto dwelling white trash

Indeed, autistic, also you didn't answer my question my frog eating friend.

foreigners and especially americans never fucking say hello
they come close to your face like they're your buddy and talk to you with no restraint or whatever it's called
if they talk french it's with the gayest accent possible (anglos all do that on purpose because they're disrespectful) and they tell us "tu"
they never say please nor thanks and eat with open mouth, they eat before everyone is served and never wish good appetite
they take a lot of place and are loud
they refer to people they don't know by their name alone
and then they wonder why we dislike them and avoid them and are rude when they talk to us
we don't fucking like you all because you behave like subhumans
also i don't remember any tourist having respect

>You have to kiss everyone on the cheeks
dont get boners when your hot cousin kisses you.
>they'd probably be okay with a short handshake
Sounds okay I guess but I just say their name and talk to them.

>dont get boners when your hot cousin kisses you.
look at this fucking autist

It's not really kissing though, just cheek contact while making the sound of kissing, because actually kissing everyone would be gross.

but adults actually kiss the cheeks of kids though

Oui, que de mauvais souvenirs

a ghude? whadyau tokeen abaud merde anglais? We aghe ze most polite pepol on ze planet Eaghth! I'll shew you all my politness aftegh i finIsh wiz yough putain maman's chatte you cghetin!

In my experience as a non-native speaker it's mostly grammatical stuff. For example, when I elarned French I learned to say "je voudrais" instead of "je veux" before even learning what the conditionnel was.

If you go into a 'Murican bakery and just say "I want some cornbread", that's entirely fine. In French you sound like a demanding fuck and you're expected to say something among the lines of "I would like to have some cornbread". It's weird and it has something to do with the présent expressing a certainity (basically he's gonna give me that bread whether he likes it or not) and the conditionnel expressing some kind of doubt (I want that bread, but you're in a position to refuse [even though we both know you're not]). With that in mind, I'm pretty sure you get why some 'Murican saying something like "Jay voo un pèhn" ruffles some feathers. Outside of Paris they'll be more forgiving because you're a foreigner, but in Paris where tourists are as common as streettiles not so much. Speaking of which Parisians tend to be irritated with you faster, maybe that's seen as rude?

Also the tu-vous distinction, that doesn't exist in English, is very important in French.

Also, this is not so much rude as much as it's something that could lead to unjustified anger, but don't enter a French café without realizing there's a hidden service cost. Lots of people go there, check the pricelist, get coffee and a pie and are then shocked when they're paying more than the pricelist shows. The thing is that the price you see dictates the prices of the product itself. If you order the product at the bar, that's what you pay. If you choose to sit at a table (what you'll most likely do if taking your family with you) then you pay an extra cost for the use of the table, the service of everything being brought to you and cleaned up for you et cetera. Just see this as a form of tipping.

There's probably some other rules I've forgotten about but those are the major ones.

>In my experience as a non-native speaker it's mostly grammatical stuff.
this
in english all sentences are the same but in french it's different with who you're talking to

I don't know, go fuck yourself and kiss me with the tongue before i'll cut your head with a baguette.

Can we see French with the style today?

>pic
No one has this hat except pilgrims and American in Japan

>that feel when you are intimidated by visiting France because you will probably unknowing be rude to people
>that feel when unironically a loudmouthed yank that isn't properly educated and loves hamburgers

being a walking stereotype is suffering

>Can we see French with the style today?
what do you mean ?

Niggers will always be rude.

i think he means "can we see french people who are actually dressed like this today ?"

the answer is not really
some people wear stripes sometimes, and i have seen berets sometimes too
carrying your baguette is normal
scarves are normal
moustaches are normal too

but striped shirt+beret+baguette+scarf+moustache combo i have never seen, it's too much

Why are Americans in the northeast so arrogant and rude?

t. Greek guy on holiday in Florida

>in english all sentences are the same
your english must suck

Superiority complex.

When I was in France on an academic research program, I mentioned that I like wine from Bulgaria and Moldova more than the overpriced over hyped local produce. Then people that studied and worked with me, and I had been on friendly terms with, started calling me an entitled little shit, a mean spirited small man, an unsophisticated eastern alcoholic, etc. It was so sudden and random, that I thought they are joking at first, and I smiled, played along. This only infuriated them further, and they ended up being quite hostile and violent in their insults and body language, and I was asked to leave.
Another case where similar events happened was when I said that French music and movies are not popular outside of France, and I haven't heard about this or that local artist. Again people took offense, and I was called uneducated or a simpleton for not preferring French over American music and film, and my opinions were dismissed as someone who doesn't prefer French must be a subhuman, obviously. That time I didn't even bother to defend myself, I just said lets agree to disagree, but this wasn't enough, they kept pushing, and I ended up excusing myself.

The only nice people I met in France were Arabs and Germans, no lie.

>Florida
>Northeast
??
Americans in the midwest are super polite but it's extremely superficial. It was pleasant at first but after a while the pretentiousness made me annoyed.
In general though, friendly Americans are very polite.

>"moi prrréférer vin rrroumanie"
>"ça est meilleur que le merrde française trop cher, pour le homosexuels xaxaxaxa))) da ?"
>*commence a se foutre ouvertement de ta gueule*
moi aussi je le prendrais mal hein
tu dis quoi si je vais dans ton pays et que je commence à dire que votre bouffe est mauvaise et que c'est mieux en france ?

les films français c'est de la merde par contre ça c'est vrai effectivement

Except thats not at all what I did, I was perfectly respectful, and just joined an already existing conversation.
You are drawing a caricature of some foreign barbarian being unable to understand French sophistication, in order to excuse French arrogance and dickery.

>this happened
sure

I'm doing that because the thing of the overpriced overhyped wine is also a caricature and bullshit
You're the one who has this idea of french arrogance in the first place so you draw a caricature of an extremely pretentious way to sell wine we would have. Then you go and are like "hey did you know that nobody cares about your art and you should stop being proud of it ?"

Most wine is not hype at all and very cheap. We call it table wine for a reason. Only tourists buy the expensive wine with special packaging
Every hobo in france has got his bottle of red, red wine is a drink so popular it is almost low class. It's not champagne like wtf you know nothing about this.

if this all actually happened i bet you came off as aggressive

>its your fault, you were aggressive, you are the barbarian

I went into a gathering room. There was wine on the table, different bottles, people were eating. I was invited to partake.
People told me these are the best wines, to try them, to tell them what I think. I did try them, they seemed dry, the aftertaste too sharp, bad breath up your throat after you drink. I said so, and I said I prefer wines from Thrace and Moldova.
I was then confronted with the fact that these are very expensive exquisite wines, maybe I should try again. I did, and said I do prefer the cheaper wine, and that I can bring some from the living space where the other Balkan region people were staying.
Then the insults started coming, I played along with what I thought was a joke, until it became hateful and, to resort to an overused word, bigoted.

Believe it if you want, this post wasn't meant for your eyes. I am sure people reading the thread who have had a similar experience can related. Certainly when I told the other people at the place we were staying I got nods and stories. It wasn't a one time thing.

Only plebs say «Bon appétit» before eating. If you had been educated in an upper-middle class family you would have known that.

lesavaistu.fr/dire-appetit-serait-mal-poli/

Only weak minded people ever badmouth france and the French.

you just can't trust those people

>visit france with my sister
>she's taken 2 years of french, knows the language pretty well, but has the american accent still
>speaks to everyone in french for us(I dont know any), and people still roll their eyes at her and speak down to her

>overpriced over hyped local produce
If you said it like that, then yeah, I'd absolutely have told you to shut the hell up. If you said it politely and apologically, they probably would have been willing to discuss why they prefer the local produce without going into rude territory.
Still, that's just not something you do without expecting to be treated like shit. Try going to the UK and tell them that you make better tea, or try telling the exact thing to Italians. You're an entitled idiot.

>completely different from what he said at first
It's almost like you changed your story to fit the discussion

well having heard your story i can believe it doesn't sound normal

were they actually rich people and the wine actually any expensive at all ?
you definitely don't insult someone just because he doesn't like the wine no
maybe they were very stuck-up people and expected you to nod and agree
maybe they were just plebs in a youth hostel wanking over 15euro bottles rather than 5euro
idk

i am used to good parties and expensive wine and personally i know that when wine is expensive and shit, you clearly say it is expensive and shit and there is nothing wrong with that
actually last time i went with my family at the restaurant with foreign friends they were amused/shocked that we directly told the waiter the wine was bad and called doing that "very french" so idk what to believe anymore

and actual good wine is not supposed to feel dry

>.I am sure people reading the thread who have had a similar experience can related. Certainly when I told the other people at the place we were staying I got nods and stories. It wasn't a one time thing.
sure i've had plenty of bad experiences like that myself too, but i mean, are you telling me people are less assholes elsewhere in the world ? somehow i have trouble believing that

Maybe you french people have your head stuck too far up your ass and don’t realize all that shit is fucking stupid
>they eat before everyone is served
>never wish good appetite
>refer to people they don’t know by their name alone
Holy fuck who the fuck cares, seriously this is fucking pathetic
>inb4 poeple with manners do these
Well guess what you fragile little bitch only you do this and you’re all annoying cunts. Stop taking this shit so seriously

Oh fuck off. I posted the overview, then people started accusing me the same way you did , so I had to add details that are not really relevant.
Nothing changed, I just did a step by step to explain that I wasn't aggressive or rude, something everyone implied for no reason.

>were they actually rich people and the wine actually any expensive at all ?
I have no idea, I was told that by the people offering. It was a chemistry/biology conference, and I was there with others from Bulgaria and the region. People around were all researchers and scientists, not exactly the richest or poorest folk.
That company in particular was a mix of old professors and their best young proteges, similarly to how my group was structured. They all got equally offended, so I doubt its about economic class.

>sure i've had plenty of bad experiences like that myself too, but i mean, are you telling me people are less assholes elsewhere in the world ? somehow i have trouble believing that
I've been on similar conferences only in France and Germany, and have helped host one for informatics in Bulgaria. In Germany everyone was super nice, and back home we treat foreigners like they are angels coming down from the havens, because of the faint hope some money will enter the economy through investment.
What I meant is that I got back to where my group is staying, I told them what happened, and they were all like "yeah, of course that happens, let me tell you when it happened to me".

This chain of replies has quickly become hostile, I didn't intend it to be, and thank you for your calmer post.

Well don't be surprised if you get treated like crap with that mindset. Just stay in Canada.
They probably felt entitled to belittle you because of your lower social standing as a foreigner. Snobs are like that, but do know that they wouldn't have acted this way in front of another French person and I'd never treat someone this way in my home.

I don't care much about the rest of what he said i am used to it

But
>refer to people they don’t know by their name alone
>Holy fuck who the fuck cares, seriously this is fucking pathetic
yeah no he's right calling random people by name only like you guys do is something that could cause a fight if a french person did it and not you
it's disrespectful as fuck, it's like you are talking to a child

i bet you jerk off about "understanding other cultures" all day and if we told you like "in japan it is more respectful to bow down when you meet someone" you'd bow down to everybody as low as possible
and if you transgressed any cultural thing you'd apologize as respectfully as possible

but if the culture happens to be french culture suddenly you scratch that and anything not like in your society is a problem and you straight-up refuse to understand we don't have the same norms

Not him but how is one supposed to refer to someone they are unfamiliar with? M. or Mme [name]?

yes, especially in a work environment it'd be bad to start with name only

however this is only for first name
if you call by my last name only you sound more like a military sergeant about to give me orders or like we are old timey factory workers calling each other by last name

It's actually rude to wish "bon appétit".

Saying "bon appétit" can be customary or not depending on the region, mais c'est jamais malpoli tu racontes quoi mdr

Thanks
That's definitely not normal in Anglo countries.
You might refer to your work superior as Mr./Ms/Mrs [surname] or perhaps someone you want to show a lot of respect to like your girlfriend's dad and mum. In the southern states of America it is common for children to refer to adults as Mr./Miss [given name].

maybe i wasn't very clear
you say [first name] when you know the person
you say mr/mrs [last name] to people you don't know, to a work superior or subordinate or whoever else
you say [last name] almost never

>In the southern states of America it is common for children to refer to adults as Mr./Miss [given name].
i've never heard that here but i heard adults refer to children as mr/miss [first name]

on top of that there's the whole tu/vous thing and even for us it's not always obvious and sometimes we ask which one the person prefers
honestly we don't expect foreigners to be good at this we just expect them not to be like "yo wtf is this stupid shit" either

i reckon english and american people called french people rude so much for so long that that's the reason they became 'rude'. some of them just decided to play the part

>i think he means "can we see french people who are actually dressed like this today ?"
Yes, I wanted to ask like it. Merci

I agree

I actually take advantage of that for doing a real kiss on the cheeks.

Also when you're drinking/partying is a way of stealing a kiss.

>I mentioned that I like wine from Bulgaria and Moldova more than the overpriced over hyped local produce. Then people that studied and worked with me, and I had been on friendly terms with, started calling me an entitled little shit, a mean spirited small man, an unsophisticated eastern alcoholic, etc.

>French music and movies are not popular outside of France, and I haven't heard about this or that local artist. Again people took offense, and I was called uneducated or a simpleton for not preferring French over American music and film, and my opinions were dismissed as someone who doesn't prefer French must be a subhuman, obviously.

This is all right.

>This only infuriated them further, and they ended up being quite hostile and violent in their insults and body language, and I was asked to leave.

Things that never happened.

I can confirm.
You can see girls with berets relatively often, men less.
I wear stripped shirts myself (I even wore some in Japan)
Carrying a baguette is very common (I do it every two days or so) but usually you have a little paper bag around it
Scarves are normal, especially in winter, but this one in OP is very tiny.
There's a lot of people having a moustache, but also beards, or clean shaven. Really depends.

But thats demanding in English as well

Eastern European teas are nice and typically cheaper but i wouldn't mind if someone had a different opinion on food and drink

Living on this country make you depressive, everyones are fucking hypocrite assholes with a complete lack of empathy.

>We just tend to avoid company and to ignore strangers because that's in our culture
So...your culture is rude and unpleasant.

Empathy is for the weak. Look at USA, Russia, China : they are all full of sociopaths like us.

And what countries have empathic happy nice people ? Gay shitholes like Sweden or Brazil. No thank you.

Yes. Stay in the US.

I'm sorry you had to see this

So what I gather from this thread is that frogs have a bunch of autistic social rules like asians but without any sense of humility whatsoever to keep themselves in check. Thanks for confirming my suspicions about why I hate you.

suck my dick

it's funny because french are weak and not empathic :)
living here is fucking shit and sociopaths like you make it worse with your shitty mentality of making social life harder.

We don't like you rude, smelly, loud fat fucks either. As I said, stay in the US if you don't intend to fit in.

>a frog calling anyone else smelly
that's rich.

You're definitely smelly in the summer when the sweat piles up between your fat rolls.

look you should have learnt when you were a teenager that to do ok here you have to play this game of making little passive-aggressive quips all the time and being a bigger asshole than the guy next to you, there is no other choice

if you don't like too bad for you everyone else will keep doing it anyways

At least I wash, unlike you disgusting fr*goids. No amount of fancy parfum can cover up your stench.

Go back to Algery.

>look mom, i memed again

>I have no self awareness, and I am le proud!

but this is complete shit and proper to french people, don't tell to foreigners french are not arrogant after this.
anyway where does it come from exactly? from the old caste society?
algerians are actually involved on the sociopathic madness and increase it more.

do you actually believe the meme that french people don't wash and cover everything with perfume

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marseille_soap
umm sweetie

Do you actually believe that you aren't a rude, stupid, irrelevant little sack of shit?

wow, you made soap. Congratulations. Such amazing achievements from the French.

you sound a bit mad
Did a frenchman offend you IRL

You sound mad. What happened?

>you don't bath but you make soap
Woah, so this is the average american's reasoning ability...

Is she cute?

>need to prove that the king commissioned soap 700 years ago when called out for your smell
The absolute state of Fr*nch """culture''''
>LOL U MAD? they cry in unison
nope just hit a nerve :)

>anyway where does it come from exactly? from the old caste society?
maybe, sometimes it feels like you are in versailles and everyone is like a courtisan playing a game of popularity

>nope just hit a nerve :)