Disney fired Kermit the Frog's puppeteer and voice Steve Whitmire

Steve Whitmire's full statement on this.

>Dear Friends,

>In 1978 when I was asked to join The Muppet Show, the Muppets were the hottest thing on the planet. I was invited to sit at the feet of the true masters, Jim Henson, Frank Oz, Jerry Nelson, Richard Hunt, and Dave Goelz; working alongside them, absorbing different skills from each, as we, along with many talented others, contributed towards the same shared vision, the vision of one man. The result became a skill-set for myself that was sort of a compilation of the best of them all.

>For me the Muppets are not just a job, or a career, or even a passion. They are a calling, an urgent, undeniable, impossible to resist way of life. This is my life’s work since I was 19 years old. I feel that I am at the top of my game, and I want all of you who love the Muppets to know that I would never consider abandoning Kermit or any of the others because to do so would be to forsake the assignment entrusted to me by Jim Henson, my friend and mentor, but even more, my hero.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ck5Q9_iCop4
bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-40605783
youtube.com/watch?v=5Le4sGUeXTk
youtu.be/MlJ4ibTOCOU?t=495
youtube.com/watch?v=Ts6YYHjGc7c
variety.com/2017/film/news/mollys-game-happytime-murders-melissa-mccarthy-stx-sets-dates-1202486046/
bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-40605783
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>As I am sure you can imagine, I have experienced every possible emotion since October 2016, when I received a phone call from The Muppets Studio’s executives to say they were recasting. Through a new business representative, I have offered multiple remedies to their two stated issues which had never been mentioned to me prior to that phone call. I wish that we could have sat down, looked each other in the eye, and discussed what was on their minds before they took such a drastic action.

>I have remained silent the last nine months in hopes that the Disney company might reverse their course. Doing what is best for the Muppets is the lens through which all my interactions have been filtered. Given the opportunity I remain willing to do whatever is required to remedy their concerns because I feel my continued involvement with the characters is in the best interest of the Muppets.

>For decades, you have been an invaluable partner in co-creating the existence of the Muppets, and I am humbled by your devotion to them. There is so much more for us to talk about so I have created this site as a place to connect and share on all things Muppet, past, present and future.

>Please forgive any faux pas as I have not been active in social media previously and have a serious learning curve. I just want you all to know that I am sorry if I have disappointed any of you at any point throughout our journey, and to let everyone know that I am devastated to have failed in my duty to my hero.

You know, I never bought the Disney is evil shit, even with all of the Star Wars nonsense.

This, though. This is too far. Why the fuck would they do this? The fuck are they going to do, cast Bruno Mars as Kermit or something? This is just inexplicably shitty to me. Fuck Disney with a baseball bat covered in rusty nails. Seriously, enough with this shit. This has me wanting to legitimately boycott them, and I am the furthest thing from a Sup Forumsfag. Jesus fucking Christ, leave our childhoods alone, you sick money-grubbing fucks.

So why did they fire him

Disney is an evil Jewish mega corporation. Why would you doubt such a thing?

>Jesus fucking Christ, leave our childhoods alone

New childhoods for the new flesh, user.

He's just an old man we don't need anymore, and we can hire someone cheaper, and there isn't a fucking thing you can do about it because we're one of the biggest fucking corporations on Earth.

Eat shit.

- Disney

Matt Vogel will be taking over as Kermit, he has been a Muppeteer since the early 90s. He played Uncle Deadly, Lew Zealand, Floyd Pepper and Robin the Frog on The Muppets and he's currently Big Bird and Count von Count on Sesame Street as well.

Why should anyone care about your childhood? It ended years ago.

Why, though? In what way did this guy fail? There's no explanation from the Disney side of things.

Didn't the guy from Flight of the Conchords win an Oscar for the last Muppets movie?

The "two stated issues" are drugs and drink, I expect.

Probably because I'm now an adult with money to spend, you dipshit.

>Gonzo is now without his buddy Rizzo.

youtube.com/watch?v=ck5Q9_iCop4

Your childhood is in the past. If your childhood was about media consumption, it could hardly be ruined further if it still existed.

>So why did they fire him
Parade Frank Oz around to build hype for a decade of CGI Yoda, before Frank Oz dies mysteriously

Makes it a little suspicious, doesn't it? This guy isn't some newbie or cheap ringer, he's a veteran of almost equally long standing.

>I never bought the Disney is evil
Well you should know better, Disney is a greedy corporation like any other, they don't give a shit about anything but money.

But a childless one, which makes your money less important than that of people who got laid and don't care who voices Kermit.

He seems like a genuinely sweet, humble human being. Didn't even know there was new Muppets stuff.
Does he have any savings? How successful can one expect to be as a puppeteer

Maybe you should leave your childhood alone too.

>In a response to Whitmire's exit, a spokesperson for The Muppet Studios would only say: "The Muppets Studio thanks Steve for his tremendous contributions to Kermit the Frog and The Muppets franchise. We wish him well in his future endeavors."

bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-40605783

He seems like a nut, probably a Chester Molester.

>They are a calling, an urgent, undeniable, impossible to resist way of life.

Who talks like this about waggling felt? I guess the Mouse asked him to lay off the doobie and he refused.

It's just some puppets lol he carries on line he writes symphanies and shit

Did he get caught for diddling boys like Elmo?

inb4 Kermit is CGI like every other children's show these days

>refuse to take a pay cut just because you are the guy who has been sticking your hand up a stuffed animal's ass the longest
>younger more talented person says they'll do it cheaper
>get fired

A BLOO BLOO. Welcome to the real world you fucking hippie. It ain't easy being green.

>muh childhood

Grow up you fucking losers. Absolute worst generation ever.

Kermit's voice never sounded the same after Jim stopped doing it, so to me this is the same old, same old. Kermit's weird eye placement of recent years also makes it harder to care. Why didn't Steve stop them from fucking with Kermit's eyes if he cared so much?

The guy taking over is about the same age. I think there's more to this involving personal conduct. It may come out soon.

Stop being a mindless consumer.

youtube.com/watch?v=5Le4sGUeXTk

Steve Whitmire was always vocal and protective of the characters, Disney didn't appreciate that.

Stealing this post from /co.

>Steve can get fairly passionate when Disney does something that is completely out of line. There was a minor incident involving Disney deciding to recruit 'alternate performers' right after they bought the Muppets, which Steve heavily protested and only backed off once the program was scrapped.

youtu.be/MlJ4ibTOCOU?t=495

>Steve was really nervous and apprehensive about how the 2011 movie turned out.

>The 2011 movie seemed to have a lot of mixed emotions surrounding it even before it came out: Frank Oz didn't feel the script was very respectful to the characters or their interactions, and some people (myself included) was skeptical of the usually R-rated Jason Segel handling the script himself... even when the movie did come out, it got a lot of mixed reviews, with some feeling it spent too much time on "hero worshipping" the Muppets and less on the actual story or the characters and their humor.

>It sounds, to me, like Steve has always been uneasy about Disney's handling of the Muppets, as many of us have, but again, it seems to me that perhaps Disney is just not wanting to put up with him any longer.

www.change.org/p/the-walt-disney-company-make-steve-whitmire-a-muppet-again/

Child molester or drug addict

Pro-Trump

Oh, so he spent six years asking to be fired and was finally fired. OK.

>fat nerds create a petition that will change nothing because they are butthurt about something in media that is hurting their feefees

You mean just like you did when Batfleck was announced? Sad.

Awful lot of projecting going on here.

Lel he is a strongly anti Trump dopehead

Haha, no, I love to laugh and make a joke.

>I just want you all to know that I am sorry if I have disappointed any of you at any point throughout our journey, and to let everyone know that I am devastated to have failed in my duty to my hero.

god fucking damn it, drive a stake into my heart why don't you
the jaded cynical part of me is yelling "he's just phrasing it like this for sympathy" but the kid in me and my ever-dying sense of empathy are winning out this time, this is just devastating.

25 years playing the part of a beloved frog puppet, second only to the actual creator, and they just kick you to the curb without any form of remorse, respect, or thanks

Didn't do it then either, all such petitions are exercises in futility.

What part of that was projecting you retarded neckbeard? You whiny pussies do this shit all the time now and it's fucking pathetic. You're literally Tumblr: permavirgin edition.

>the kid in me

You're not a kid. You have no kid in you. I have empathy, it doesn't make me a sucker for a pedophilic liar.

Project any harder and you will be showing in IMAX

Then he deserved it for being a Fascist.

>see someone with a bit of humanity left in them
>shit all over them for it

you're scum, pal.

Makes sense then since Bob Iger is pro trump

Uh, it's the fucking muppets. Who cares? You guys are seriously up in arms over kermit the fucking frog?

No, you see, to suggest that believing a clearly disingenuous guy is the litmus test of "having humanity left in you" is incredibly cynical. It's like you don't know what real joy and hope is.

>Who talks like this about waggling felt?

A guy who has been doing it for almost 40 years

>someone who's with the company for 40 years and playing a particular character for 25
>dismissed abruptly and unceremoniously
>not seeing the larger problem of an industry refusing to acknowledge veterancy and experience
>not seeing where this kind of behavior can lead to

being aware of the larger picture is tough for low-IQ people such as yourself but we implore you to at least give it a try before running your mouth

You're so deep and unique, user

wow, tell us more, oh prophet of the lands

>While Danny Trejo was filming his cameo in "The Muppets: Most Wanted!" his mother passed. The cast all offered their sympathy but he shrugged it off because of his 'tough guy' persona. It wasn't until Steve Whitmire apologized in character as Kermit the Frog that Trejo broke down crying.

I make it 27 years he's been doing it, which is nearly 30. His replacement joined only slightly afterwards.

ABC cancelled The Muppets (that mediocre Office/30Rock format show) on the 12th of May 2016

On May 24 there's a Muppets interview during Vulture Festival 2016 with Fozzie speaking of doing a hit show this summer with Kermit having to inform Fozzie about the shows cancellation.

youtube.com/watch?v=Ts6YYHjGc7c

>Whitmire is sacked October 2016

Leave it to salty Disney execs to not handle Muppet banter and hold petty grudges against their performers.

It can lead to other old cunts I don't care about being given the sack.

You're making out I'm a pseud for not being a tacky psycho, whatever.

>apologized

So he killed Trejo's pop, huh? That explains it, they don't want Disney HQ ringed by a kill-crazy gauntlet of biker cholos.

Probably wasn't down with the new Disney agenda. Coming soon, CGI Kermit explains why little boys should chop off their dick and take hormones.

>It's like you don't know what real joy and hope is

Read that back to yourself and tell me it's not pretentious twaddle

>guy gets fired after years and years of work like they're wiping shit off their shoe
>feel bad for him and feel a bit upset something that's been the same for so long is changing, for better or worse
>"tacky psycho"

christ, man, who hurt you?

this show was really funny at times
excellent pepe the prawn moments

They were going to do a kermit is trans thanks to chemicals in the water making frogs gay storyline.

He opposed and disney said its 2017.

apparently he was diddling kids with his kermit hand

so think on that next time you call disney 'evil'

Welp there goes the little sympathy I had.

Bet you he's a kiddie diddler. Disney probably found out and got him counseling, but then fired him when he didn't show signs of recovery. Gotta do all you can to preserve the brand, yo.

He went for the good, they are turning Happytime Murders into shit

variety.com/2017/film/news/mollys-game-happytime-murders-melissa-mccarthy-stx-sets-dates-1202486046/

the Jim Henson Company’s “The Happytime Murders” starring Melissa McCarthy is scheduled to hit theaters August 17, 2018.

Brian Henson is directing the noir comedy about a Los Angeles human detective who teams up with a puppet detective to solve the brutal murders of the cast of the beloved kids’ show, “The Happytime Gang.”

The story is by Todd Berger & Dee Robertson; while the screenplay is written by Berger with revisions by Erich & Jon Hoeber, and further revisions by McCarthy. Producers are Jeffrey Hayes, Ben Falcone, Henson, and McCarthy. Lisa Henson and John W. Hyde will executive produce.

>apparently
>presumably
>according to anonymous sources

is this sincerely the world we live in? An age of information where proof and evidence are more prevalent and easier to find than ever before and plenty are perfectly content just agreeing with what's said to them with no further investigation beforehand

simply unfathomable

It's not pretentious, it's the honest truth.

It's not about "feeling a bit upset", is it, it's about making out that people's humanity is conditional on whether they smell a rat or not. Get help.

How has Disney never been hit with anti-trust suits?

What does Sup Forums have to do with anything? This board is obsessed.

>Cartoons and puppets for kids should continue to aim for one 30-year-old man-child instead of targeting the next generation of kids

all i fucking said was that the 'grr angry' side of me felt he was probably fired for good reason so he's just looking for sympathy through his words, and the 'aw that sucks' side of me (which won out) was upset over the whole situation

you're putting words and intention into my mouth and arguing against that, if you want to get into an internet fight with your own projection and presumption just do it in notepad and leave the rest of us out of it

god forbid a conversation takes place without someone attacking the psyche of another

This. One major argument for shake-ups like this would be that they put off creepy adult fans. Disney traditionally treats its non-parent adult fans as if they don't exist anyway, so this is consistent.

>Disney being loyal to its employees
That he lasted as long as he did is amazing in and of itself. The Mouse hasn't given a shit about any of its thralls since the '80s.

What was said is perfectly clear.

>we're getting a new version of The Rainbow Connection with it explaining each tenant of the pride flag

I know just the replacement...

Are DC pajeets really defending a anti trump drug addict child toucher?

Look at the guy. How likely is it that he wasn't up to something sketch?

They are going to get darkies to perform the muppets now. Mark my words.

Well he is not jewish, so of course he has to go

kek

This. what a looney tune

>all this pedo and substance abuse projection
Sort yourselves out jfc

Look at the guy. Read the statement where he mentions "two stated issues" without specifying what they are.

>implying they would have continued to let him work for the last month if he was in fact diddling all the kids

kek truuu

>Look at the guy. Read the statement where he mentions "two stated issues" without specifying what they are.

Issue one: not jewish
Issue two: blonde and blue eyed

So your mind immediately jumps to he was fiddling kids and a junkie? The fuck guys.. yeah disney is shady as shit but lets not toss the baby out with the bathwater.

they will save money by hiring nigger?

Weird that the BBC were pushing this as him stepping down as per screenshot which is part of a quiz still up on their homepage.

Was on the same page as his statement regarding sacking too...

bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-40605783

>"Just LOOK at him!"
Not an argument.

Why would he not state what they are when he's ready to lavish so many words on every other aspect of their decision?

I honestly don't think he was fiddling with kids, because if he had been he wouldn't have even alluded to it or even perhaps protested his sacking publicly, hoping to live it all down. I think the issues are probably booze and drugs.

The BBC is unreal at this point. Only a retard would trust anything they write.

Yes it fucking is.

Could very easily be contract issues, ie you will take a pay cut but be locked into this for 5 years and have to do twice the work. Things like that he may not be allowed to talk about legally.

probably someones nephew does a wicked kermit impresstion but can't find a job

What are you even objecting to? Your sentence makes no sense.

What are you even suspecting, the report is factual and they happen to have a quiz that references it?