Reading through them, it's easy to see why. In what is arguably the most level-headed of the emails, sent on July 21...

Reading through them, it's easy to see why. In what is arguably the most level-headed of the emails, sent on July 21, 2010, Darabont, 58, tells a creative exec at AMC whom he considers "an ally" to "stop invoking 'the writers room'" in their exchanges. "There IS no writers room... I am the writers room."

The failings of the show's writing staff and crew — and in particular the camera operators — are a repeated theme of the rants. In the same email, he singles out one pair of writers as "fucking lazy assholes" and "overpaid con artists." After receiving what he felt was a woefully subpar script from a pair of writers, Darabont tells the exec, "If it were up to me, I'd have not only fired [them], I'd have hunted down and fucking killed them with a brick, then gone and burned down their homes."

"I told those assholes at least half a dozen times," Darabont continues. "Why don't they listen when I TELL them the way to do it? … [I]t's in one ear and out the other... It's almost as if they're intentionally telling me to fuck myself."

The rhetoric gets even more heated in a series of emails sent to the show's core below-the-line team one year later, as the delivery date rapidly approaches and Darabont is frantic, feeling the footage is unusable.

In the first, dated June 13, 2011, Darabont is furious over what he deems to be an overreliance on handheld footage. "You MUST calm down the camera operating," it begins. "This is turning out WAY more shaky-cam than I want. When I said please limit the handheld, it wasn't a random suggestion... And the operators MUST be told to HOLD THE FUCKING SHOT!"

He goes on to wonder if the camera operator had "an epileptic seizure" and deems his footage to be "utterly demented and unusable shit."

"Tell these operators that if they cannot provide us footage that works, we need to replace them with people who can. What the fuck are we paying them for? Ray Charles could operate better," Darabont writes.

Other urls found in this thread:

hollywoodreporter.com/news/walking-dead-read-frank-darabonts-shocking-emails-amc-crew-1020426
scribd.com/document/353707265/Darabont-1
scribd.com/document/353705201/Darabont-2
scribd.com/document/353706163/Darabont-3
scribd.com/document/353706766/Darabont-4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

He goes on to complain about spotting the "same group of idiot crew" visible in the background of shots "having a circle jerk" and is rendered "boiling mad" at a character who fell out of frame while tumbling down a slope. "The camera misses him COMPLETELY... yet I hear the operator say, 'Wow, that was fantastic.' ... Really? You missed the fucking actor, you blind fucking moron!"

The email ends in an all-caps paragraph: "YOU NEED TO PAY ATTENTION TO THE MOTHERFUCKING SCRIPT! I EVEN CHOOSE MY GODDAMN COMMAS FOR A REASON! WHY AM I WORKING SO FUCKING HARD IF YOU'RE SHOOTING EVERYTHING SOME OTHER WAY THAT DOESN'T WORK?"

The next day, Darabont sends the group another email.

"I'm in a state of absolute boiling rage right now," it begins. "I have never been a screamer, but I am now... You've turned [me] into a raging asshole. Thanks a lot, you fuckers."

The source of his ire this time is the show's directors, whom he feels are not following his script direction and who "better wake the fuck up and pay attention. Or I will start killing people and throwing bodies out the door."

Singling out one key moment in his script — "ANGLE CLOSES ON RICK, seething with fury" — Darabont asks, "What does that suggest? An important moment? It does to me. That's why I fucking wrote it that way. I don't spray random shit on the page. So why is it shot like random shit?"

He goes on to demand that the director responsible for the "boring-as-shit" scene be "replaced... He is an idiot. He needs to leave and take his seeing-eye dog with him. Because even his dog is blind."

"Fuck you all for giving me chest pains because of the staggering fucking incompetence," he closes his correspondence, before warning that any director that fails to shoot the scenes as he's written them will be "beaten on the spot."

In his affidavit, Darabont defends the emails, saying they were composed in the heat of a deeply troubled production and that his complaints were well founded.

"Each of these emails must be considered in context," he says. "They were sent during an intense and stressful two-year period of work during which I was fighting like a mother lion to protect the show from harm — not only on my own behalf, but ironically also on behalf of AMC.

"Each of these emails was sent because a 'professional' showed up whose laziness, indifference, or incompetence threatened to sink the ship," Darabont continues."My tone was the result of the stress and magnitude of this extraordinary crisis. The language and hyperbole of my emails were harsh, but so were the circumstances."

>hollywoodreporter.com/news/walking-dead-read-frank-darabonts-shocking-emails-amc-crew-1020426

it's ok to judge co-worker's performance and competence, harshly even.
it's not ok to make threats, talk of 'killing' and 'stacking up bodies' and the like aren't acceptable.
He's a nutcase that should be ostracized.

He's a bit of a jerk but most great filmmakers are. He's also right about everything. The pilot was tastefully framed and everything after is shaky cam random bullshit.

Full mails here

scribd.com/document/353707265/Darabont-1
scribd.com/document/353705201/Darabont-2
scribd.com/document/353706163/Darabont-3
scribd.com/document/353706766/Darabont-4

>'stacking up bodies'
sorry, it was 'throwing bodies out the door'
the point stands

>He's never threaten a shitty co-worker that he'll Junko Furuta'd them if they keep fucking up
Time to grow up, user.

wewlass

>A director who works with a shoestring budget and got amazing actors to work with him for pennies on the dollar considering their previous work gets angry that AMC's production crew is shit

>The same director gets fired and has his show taken from him

>From that very moment, season and forward, TWD goes from a potentially great show to guaranteed garbage

Maybe he has a right to be mad.

Well yeah.

Just direct all the episodes...

>it's not ok to make threats, talk of 'killing' and 'stacking up bodies' and the like aren't acceptable.
Obviously you've never been in a leadership role. Sounds like me made multiple attempts to be civil before resorting to the kind of language that someone will pay attention too.
Is it nice?
No.
But did you listen when I asked nicely?
No.
Now get back to fucking work or I swear to christ that I will be so far up your ass that I'm going to wear you like a halloween costume.

Should have grabbed AMC by the balls and forced them to let him have full control of the show. Maybe he can get some advice from David Lynch and make something that's actually good on Showtime

>Doesn't even apologize
god bless

Came here for the webms, someone post them.

>some faggot hollywood doucehbag talking tough about killing people because they fucked up his precious TV show

I wouldn't stand for that shit at all.

Which is why you'll never be in the position to make that call

You mean working for douchebags in hollywood?

You're right.

user, I hope your my boss one day. You sound like you'll get shit done.

If you think treating people like shit because of your position within an organization is smart, than you don't know a fucking thing about "leadership".

You create a successful team by building people up, not tearing them down, and by replacing people that can't meet a standard with those that can.

Darabont is a douchebag, but that's probably because he learned from other douchebags in hollywood how to behave. With people like that faggot, and the idiots he's working with, it's no wonder hollywood film and TV are dead.

I wish some bosses were like this instead of being limpdick doormats collecting a fat check and not giving 2 shits about anything.

>If you think treating people like shit because of your position within an organization is smart, than you don't know a fucking thing about "leadership".

What year in the 1990's were you born?

It's not treating people like shit - it's ensuring that the shit that needs to get done actually gets done. A lot of people are inherently lazy and if left to their own devices, they will just dick around. Telling them that they will find themselves in a shitstorm that not even Noah's ark can endure will give them some incentive to get to work.

He's a great writer, these emails are entertaining as hell!

"Denise, I’m putting my anger and disappointment at Gwyneth aside when I say this. I promise I’m not being a hyperbolic wiseass.

Remember our experience with Allan Garfield on The Majestic? We were all so shocked because it was like he had no grasp of the basics of his craft? And it turned out later that he’d had a stroke he was unaware of? And a few months after we wrapped, the massive secondary stroke happened that put him permanently in the hospital?

I am honest-to-God wondering if Gwyneth hasn’t experienced the same thing. That’s how fundamentally fucked this footage is. It’s as if she’s totally lost her grasp of what to do. It’s like we yanked some kid with no experience out of high school and put her in charge of directing a show. And what’s really weird is that she doesn’t seem to know it."

>Allan Garfield
>Has lived in a Motion Picture & Television Fund long-term nursing home since suffering a massive stroke in 2004.

damm

>"There IS no writers room... I am the writers room."

>I am honest-to-God wondering if Gwyneth hasn’t experienced the same thing. That’s how fundamentally fucked this footage is.

Gwyneth absolutely d e s t r o y e d

Not only that but,
>AMC then jumps on the occasion to rescind every promise they'd made to Darabond about improving the budget if he made S1 work by firing him
>show goes back to an even more worthless budget

GWYNETH BTFO

>That’s how fundamentally fucked this footage is.

what scene was he talking about?

You're my boss and you say that shit to me, I escalate it straight to the police. Not your boss, not their boss, not HR. Then you get to be boss of an 8ft by 8ft cell.

t. guy whose boss spoke that way to me

t. roastie

>"If it were up to me, I'd have not only fired [them], I'd have hunted down and fucking killed them with a brick, then gone and burned down their homes."

>presumes only a woman would have self-respect

internalized misandry

You should be watching your french fry station more and shitposting on Sup Forums less.

>Telling them that they will find themselves in a shitstorm that not even Noah's ark can endure will give them some incentive to get to work.

No it won't, it will just make them resent you for being the incompetent, childish idiot that you would be for talking to adults that way. Nobody is willing to go the extra mile for a childish douche, and that's exactly what you would be trying to treat adults that way, especially men that could pick you up and throw you through a wall.

Subordinates usually fail to meet standards for one of four reasons:
1. They didn't clearly understand the standard you expected, which is your fault as a leader.
2. They knew the standard but weren't given the resources to meet that standard, which is again, your fault.
3. They knew the standard but chose not to meet it, which is their fault.
4. They knew the standard but lacked the talent and ability to achieve it, which is again, their fault.

A good leader assesses which of the 4 issues is at hand and takes the appropriate action to correct the issue. Be it to clearly define the standards, provide adequate resources, fire them or inform them that poor performance will result in the loss of their position, or simply to assign them a task more appropriate for their individual talent.

What a good leader doesn't do is throw temper tantrums like a petulant college brat and expect to get good results.

Sup Forums was right about Hollywood accounting

>For example, a March 2014 statement to Darabont represented that the drama had earned more than $159 million in total gross receipts from inception to September 2013. But then came $13 million in distribution fees, another $11 million in distribution charges, and $160 million in production costs which included 12.5 percent for administrative overhead. That meant Walking Dead was allegedly in deficit to the tune of nearly $24 million, leaving profit participants empty.

You're an idiot who's never worked in the real world. I would love to see the stupid look on your face when you encounter this boss and he roasts you and you buckle under and do as you're told.

btw, Darabont is complaining because his employees were incompetent (3 and 4 in your little list); he was complaining because he didn't have the power to do anything about it (that power lay in the studio's hands, and they did nothing).
So, how does that fit into your little scheme?

Whoreywood (((never))) makes a profit...

never EVER accept payment by percentage of (((net income)))

>he was complaining because he didn't have the power to do anything about it (that power lay in the studio's hands, and they did nothing).

And?

If you take a job with the special Olympics, you shouldn't be surprised when you're working with retards. You either suck it up and do the best you can with the retards you're given, or you resign. What you DON'T do, as an adult, is act like a spoiled brat and throw temper tantrums threatening people like some kind of psychotic douche.

That's the "real world".

We're done here, sunshine, now get back to your fry station where you belong and quit shitposting on Sup Forums.

Businesses have been working off of hotheaded coaches as bosses for decades, and they're all the most successful. The best bosses and CEOs are literal workaholic psychopaths. Do you work for some poor indie crew and think you know a thing about success?

this, my god, this
too bad (You) are completely retarded

There's difference between being a total prick and threatening murder. I've worked for tons of pricks. But when one says "the last guy to talk to me that way is six feet under" you don't have to take that shit. Especially when you get them on tape, and the "way you talked to him" is calm and reasonable, and he's foaming at the mouth.

Hi John! Burn in hell, sleazeball.

Dude I think the stress was just getting to him, as amc was completely fucking him, and his show by not providing him with people with enough competence to work with
Sure it might hurt some of their fee fees, but a lot of great directors are like that when trying to do what they want

Considering hotheads DO murder people, Darabont is damn lucky he only got fired, and isn't in prison for death threats. Fuck him. I don't give a fuck what your excuse is. You threaten to kill me or someone I work with, I'm not letting it slide. Be a fucking adult, not a goddamn emotion-driven edgelord.

that's why he's more successful than you and not just some moderator of a subreddit.

>guy at my factory lost his forearm trying to damage his finger to get workers compensation
>blood everywhere, have to clean out machine now gunked with flesh
>all the guys who saw it or had to help clean it up: "lol idiot"
>one guy on our floor went for a whole month trying to get money for emotional trauma of having seen the blood everywhere
>gets fired after five weeks because he wont shut up
>edgelords all keep their jobs

i dont want to sound too edgy, but edge wins in the real world. it seems to be a genuine advantage in most situations. i bet most leaders of the world are probably real 'edgy' and don't give a fuck when away from the cameras.

no one cares

These were emails to the studio and people he's worked with in the past that were on staff, right? He probably thought it was the only way to get the studio to listen since they obviously weren't, and the rest venting to his staff friends. He really isn't wrong, the show could have been a lot better - the direction was sloppy.

This is why you'll never be a boss. You lack drive and only aim to spite like a child.

>!
>sleazeball
Show tits.

>Respectable director driven to madness by jewish tricks and thier talentless, nepotistic workers
I feel for him

I'm my own boss, and I wouldn't hire someone with your lack of reading comprehension. Spite has nothing to do with it. If he hadn't been fired, eventually everyone under him would've quit. Rage is a liabiltly, not an asset.

and spawns its own spin-off pretty impressive really

Nobody's their own boss. In the end you answer to someone, loser.

I was going to use Guido Wop, but decided against it.

kill yourself you faggot before i do it for you

Dumb kid, you knew what user meant. He's self employed. Stay in school.

that's not a real threat. i hate people like you.

>They knew the standard but chose not to meet it, which is their fault.
Which is exactly what was happening, he didn't threatened them in person, he wrote an email to those w/the power to do something, and they didn't

I'll be sure to go back and wave my money around.

>"This is turning out WAY more shaky-cam than I want.
>operators MUST be told to HOLD THE FUCKING SHOT!"
>camera operator had "an epileptic seizure" and deems his footage to be "utterly demented and unusable shit."

Darabont is the hero we need. Kill shaky cam once and for all. The first half of Civil War gave me a fucking headache.

>DURRR durr good leadership solves everything

No stupid, you're completely ignoring the fact that the entire Hollywood system is based on privilege and backscratchers.

The director has zero choice in the people hired.

All the people he has to work with are spoiled California college grads. Have you ever met these people? They're lazy insufferable cunts with next to zero work ethic.

You're essentially white knighting a bunch of people that likely hate you.

the darabont episodes look fantastic btw, show would've been good if they kept mr. meanie on.

user, if you're a hard worker, follow instructions, and at least put forth an effort I will bend over backwards for you.
If you're someone who waltzes in with a shitty uncooperative attitude, refuse to listen to simple work instructions, or just act like you don't belong to a team you're not disrespecting me, you're disrespecting the 20 other guys out there busting their asses to get shit done. You're shitting on your peers with that kind of work ethic. You're demonstrably making the job harder for everyone else when you act like that.
I'm your boss, not your friend. You want to work for the "cool boss" I'll sign your transfer papers on the spot. There is a reason he can't keep people on his shift, he's concerned with peoples feefee's and not the job, so despite having half the work that my team has he has twice the overtime and quadruple the turnover.
I'm the first one to tell you I'm an asshole, I have high expectations and little patience for wasting my time, or my team's, but I'm fair. People may not like me, but they respect me. As a result we're constantly singled out and recognized as one of the best teams in the nation.
Also we supply hospitals, so doing the work in a timely, accurate, and efficient manner can literally be a life or death issue.

The studio (((accountants) tried telling James Cameron that Titanic lost money.

>It’s like we yanked some kid with no experience out of high school and put her in charge of directing a show.

AMC followed this idea very literally

>not just some moderator of a subreddit

you think too highly of me

>I AM the writers room

based we need a TV show based on Frank

What a fucking cunt. The show wasn't even that great under him, it was generic cheesy zombie shit. Gimple is a true visionary and understands the comics.

You must have voted for Bernie

Based. It's nice to know that there was a time when someone in charge actually cared about the quality of the show
It's funny cause he's fucking right on every point

Kys

You live in the UK or something? People don't get jailed for really mean words. Lemme guess how this story really ended: you got laughed off the phone by the operator and shortly fired by your scary boss.

lmao this is great.

>eventually everyone under him would've quit

You do know that half of the original cast are actors who have worked with him before and have absolutely nothing but praise for him, right?

Hell, most agreed to pay cuts from AMC simply because they love working with Darabont so much and they recognize his drive and love for the craft of film making.

So what does AMC give him in return? A 6 episode first season written almost entirely by him in which he directed the first (and best) episode as well as a lazy-ass production team coasting on their laurels and not actually caring about the production that Darabont put his blood, sweat and tears into to get made.

After asking them nicely multiple times, they either ignore him or are too incompetent to even realize what he wants, he goes to the AMC producers and politely asks for better help. It goes on deaf ears.

He then has to rant and rave to the retarded production team that he is working with and threaten them just to get passable shots for the excellent screenplay he co-wrote.

AMC then fires him because they just wanted him to make garbage to appeal to the masses that is just easily-digestible pseudo-intellectual compost, rather than actually trying to make a genuinely good show. And the sad thing is, the horrendous second season is when the show began to get popular, because it was so horribly paced and dealt with the exact kind of pseudo-intellectual crap that now pervades the show, that it started to get mass appeal.

Fuck AMC. Darabont had every right to ask for a production team that both gave a shit and wasn't incompetent.

everyone seems to be forgetting the main reason they got rid of frank
he was initially a draw for those who know the name
for film fans, it was frank darabont. for everyone else, it was shawshank redemption number 1 IMDB top 250
once they saw that he wasnt needed to keep the numbers they got rid of him and coasted on easy street

>And?

Holy shit. He literally completely refuted your point. No, even better he took the points you were trying to make about what good leadership SHOULD be and explained that was exactly what Darabont was trying to do.

And you nonchalantly move the goal posts, ad hominem both him and Darabont (as you have been doing this entire thread) and then claim to have a smug real world understanding that no one else in this thread does.

Self-righteous pricks like you are the absolute worst people to work with and are almost exclusively in the HR department.

kys

Hey, if the lotr trilogy didn't make a profit, how the hell could titanic??

Thank you, user! You are wise and good! Have a friendly pic!
and i luv the HR comment.....brilliant!

I always come to the aid of an user in need, especially when it comes to cases of gross stupidity and willful delusion of other anons.

But why did you post a picture of an AMC executive producer as thanks?

>But why did you post a picture of an AMC executive producer as thanks?
oo you cheeky beggar!

kek
Gotta chan, man - what can I say? This place has scarred me.

faggot

>"Tell these operators that if they cannot provide us footage that works, we need to replace them with people who can. What the fuck are we paying them for? Ray Charles could operate better," Darabont writes.

>He needs to leave and take his seeing-eye dog with him. Because even his dog is blind
lol

The show's garbage anyway.

Gwyneth Horder-Payton. Sounds like a purely nepotistic/gender quota hire.

>Grandfather is actor Victor McLaglen, Uncle Director Andrew V. McLaglen, Cousin Producer/1st AD Josh McLaglen, Cousin Producer Mary McLaglen.

>Some shit that happened 7 years ago
I don't have time to care about this grandpa

holy fuck, is "she" a post-op tranny?

>autism

this mother fucker seems crazy.... he would have made the show GREAT.

Should have gave him complete control.

Oh fuck off

Literally nothing in your post is an argument or any kind of refutation. At most it's an anecdote but I doubt you're employed

Seth Rogen should hire Frank to write all of Herr Starrs lines for preacher

Stick to the point. Stick to the specifics. Explain exactly what the situation is and how the results deviate from the expressed goal. Explain why this is important to the success of the project.

Darabont may have contributed to the problem in was he may not perceive.

Probably anything from the episode Tell it to the frogs.

He clearly was a man at the end of his tether in those emails. No doubt he'd already tried being reasonable before..