Unforgiven

Was it kino?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7_uvEuNwUj4
youtube.com/watch?v=zys43lpv-8I
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No, It lacked something. I'm not denying that it's a good movie but there was no depth. It was just, "guy gets out of retirement for a job, he completes it, sheriff kills friend, he kills sheriff and everyone else." But still, great performances.

I think it has a pretty clear anti-violence message

>beta alcoholic falls off the wagon and turns into a monster

Reminded me of my dad, so yeah, kino.

It's the Best Western of all time.

MISFIRE

This is the problem with "the unwashed masses"; they have no grasp of the subtle. Just because one has the ability to post an opinion, doesn't mean they have anything worthy to contribute. Completely unable to interpret the meaning of scene, unless it's a Hulk Hogan arm clotheslining you in the neck. This film has Richard Harris, Gene Hackman, and Clint Eastwood giving you their character's view of "the West" in fantastic monologues. The cinematography is mesmerizing. Movies/films like this always make me appreciate the world I live in, because things used to be (and still are in some parts) much more brutal.

This

Look, just because I didn't enjoy something as much as you doesn't mean I have no understanding of any movie that isn't Transformers. Compare Unforgiven to TGTBATU, we have multiple things going on with the latter. The relationship between Blondie and Tuco, going from being at each others throats to having a cigar together because of the pity Blondie feels because of Tuco's scattered relationship with his brother. And it keeps evolving. Then you get taken to the frontlines of a civil war and watch as a dying mans wish comes true, ultimately, saving lives. I'm sure you've seen it so I don't need to go further. But what I'm trying to say is that Unforgiven had very little outside of the "corrupt cop and grizzled cowboy" story. It was good, but not great. And I agree with the cinematography and bit in your statement.

Didn't mean to put "and" at the end there. Between cinematography and bit.

thanks for the spoiler ass hole

>directed by Clint Eastwood

Of course it is

Can we agree that, besides profanating Morgan Freeman's corpse and saying as much bullshit to Duchamp as English Bob did, Little Bill did nothing wrong?

The only thing he did right was dying

Absolutely. Eastwood is a master, and we should all just pretty much send him our money.

>Unforgiven had very little outside of the "corrupt cop and grizzled cowboy"
>what is the wannabe cowboy trying to prove himself tough while being umable to properly see
>what is the message that most cowboy stories are bullshit told by their protagonists to naive writers
>what is the message that most cowboy fight are actually unhorable
>what is the message of fighting solitude outside your home
>what is the message of the tough life of whores that clouds their rationality
>what is the message that, in frontier environments, the onlh law applied is of the strongest
>what is the message of trying to repent your sins but being denied the Grace of God

Fuck no. People who say this deserve to be shot.

It's not the "what", it's the "how".

Autists always have a problem grasping this and fall back on arguing objective narrative points while completely missing the aesthetic.

The first half is good, but not amazing

That second half though, wew lad.

Holy fuck literally kill yourself for the better good

I think you have to bear in mind two other things. First, the sense of the weight of grief and regret in the world Eastwood shows us. Second, the fact that Eastwood is using our awareness of his own history here.

>It lacked something

Explosions?

You're only missing dubs or above.

This

Saved.

There are so many themes in this movie and you pretty much missed all of them. An user below laid pretty much all of them for you in the open. I'll just add one, when user says >the message that most cowboy stories are bullshit told by their protagonists to naive writers. It's also a reflection on the art of narrating a story in cinema, and how reality per se and movie narrating reality blur into each other. It's really a masterpiece of a movie being one of the best western of all time and the most anti-western movie at the same time. The nail in the coffin of genre westerns. Which by the way is why Bone Tomahawk was so great despite its flaws, it went out of the genre comfort zone.

provide an alternative then

SJW propaganda

>bad guy wins
nice

You are just telling us the plot of both movies. We know, we saw them. Your opinion is as empty as you claim the film to be.

youtube.com/watch?v=7_uvEuNwUj4

Was it what?

The Searchers and The Wild Bunch.

Huh, no

Yes. It is the only Eastwood-directed kino.

>he never saw A Perfect World
Laugh at this pleb

The only reason the bad guy wins is because they're both bad guys. Unforgiven really has no hero. They're all villains.

Really great fucking scene. The way he manages to be a turbo edgelord but also actually threatening and intimidating is such a rare accomplishment in movies.

>I'm gonna come out. Any man who takes a shot at me, I'm not just gonna kill him, I'm gonna kill his wife, and all his friends, and burn his damn house down!
>You better bury Ned right! You better not cut up or otherwise harm no whores!
OR I'LL COME BACK HERE AND KILL EVERY ONE OF YOU SONS A BITCHES

Do you realize how few people could pull of dialogue like this without looking and sounding like an edgy school shooter? It's unreal how he does this and makes it REAL. Eastwood is a way better actor than people give him credit for.

>Unforgiven really has no hero
>They're all villains

Here you have it.

>Eastwood is a way better actor than people give him credit for.
This
>tfw he got cucked for Best Actor Oscar because someone else played a blind guy that year. Twice

Little Bill was a corrupt lawman and Will Munny was basically a serial killer in his past who becomes one once again in the end. Who's the hero here? Munny is the one you want to win so he's the closest thing to a hero but his actions are completely un heroic.

>Little Bill was a corrupt lawman
He wasn't that corrupt! Just trying to keep order. Not like he let crimes happen in the town for his own benefit

>Do you realize how few people could pull of dialogue like this without looking and sounding like an edgy school shooter?

You have to take many things into account, Will being confirmed as being a lunatic killer in his prime, the setting and the context. Nothing about it is out of character, forced or gratuitous.

No, most of his directorial work is kino.

He was kind of a dictator. Beat the shit out of an old man for not obeying his anti gun law. Tortured Ned to death for not giving him information and displayed his body outside the bar. He wasn't nearly as bad a guy as Munny, sure, but he was no hero.

youtube.com/watch?v=zys43lpv-8I

He's one of the few directors to get a great performance out of Bryce Dallas Howard as well. Dude's good.

>Beat the shit out of an old man for not obeying his anti gun law.
English Bob was there to kill people and disturb a fragile peace. And he refused to follow his orders of giving his gun.
>Tortured Ned to death for not giving him information and displayed his body outside the bar.
Displaying the body was too much. He should have realized that there was no need to persecute the gunmen now that the cowboys were dead, but he couldn't appear to be weak to his fellowmen

Hereafter was an interesting film. Slightly underrated. Top 30 of Clint, for sure

was this the last great western made?

Nope.

Bone Tomahwak was good

There has been many good westerns ever since, but none as good as Unforgiven

This

Fucking hell, this is such a shallow reading it genuinely makes me think you (and many others presumably) genuinely lack some mental capacity I usually take for granted. There has to be some quantifiable inability to process information at play here, like you've just let it wash over you with absolutely no mental engagement on your part

Again, all you can do is relate the physical events of each movie. I don't think you're even capable of a meaningful analysis

Also this

Yes, Unforgiven is the last great western. And the fact Eastwood stars in and directs it seems very fitting.

i would have taken a free one.

>last great western
>Unforgiven, the Poor Man's The Searchers
"no".

Meek's Cutoff
True Grit re-make
Lonesome Dove
Three Burials
The Homesman
No Country for Old Men

He's made some real pieces of shit though

>True Grit re-make
>great
LOL

It is.

it just looked weird. something about the 1990s made all westerns look bad, even if they were actually good movies. same with the quick and the dead, tombstone etc.

>I'm here to capture or kill Bill Williamson

Unforgiven is one of the best scripts ever written and one od the best films ever made.

Both True Grits are shit, but at least John Wayne saves the original. The remake is Coens' worst film

One of the last great Hollywood films honestly. Clint is a fucking master and the fact he continued to do great movies after this instead of peaking and declining is a testament to how talented he is.

He is so much more switched on than most "talents" in Hollywood it's not funny. There will never be one as good as him again.

Dog shit taste senpai.

Love Clint Eastwood and Westerns as a whole but there is something about this movie that just kind of sucks to me. I can't quite describe it, but there's something missing from it that puts it below the Leone movies.
This line right here is actually part of it. He comes in out of the rain, tries to shoot, the gun doesn't go off.
In a true kino, all hell would just break loose at this point. This movie takes precious seconds to explain what just happened and have the Sheriff order his men to attack because they're cardboard extras instead of real people.
I saw what happened, I understand, why do you need to explain it?
>Do you realize how few people could pull of dialogue like this without looking and sounding like an edgy school shooter?
Also, didn't feel like he pulled that line off.

I said "most".

>he continued to do great movies after this

Name 5 bad films directed by Clint

The Rookie and Blood Work are good films

It felt like he pulled the line off to me. I actually felt fear for that character. Not easy to do. A lot of edgy characters (I'll use Heath Ledger's joker as an example) are scary in the way that if they were real and you encountered them, of course you'd be scared, but on screen, knowing they aren't real, you feel no fear for the character at all. A lot of times they just come off as embarrassing, like you'd be ashamed to even be associated with the guy.

>Bone Tomahwak was good
Literally everything I've heard about that movie is "Bone Tomahawk was good! There was this one scene where they scalp and castrate a guy and then split him! It's fucking awesome!"
Sounds like edgy gorefag shit.

Probably just a matter of personal taste then.
To me, it came across more of a desperate bluff than a cold-blooded promise.
I mean, I know we've seen that he's a killer and we just witnessed him kill an entire posse of men within seconds, but it felt more like he was exaggerating his wrath more than anything.

Gran Torino, American Sniper, Million Dollar Baby, Sully, A Perfect World, The Bridges of Madison County

All. Top. Tier. Kino.

American Sniper was fucking terrible

idiot.

None of those are as great as Unforgiven.

No Country For Old Men I wouldn't even consider a western.

>this is what people that turn everything into a political statement think

I'll definitely give it another watch.

Fuck off

Fuck off too, or read the rest of the thread

That's probably it. It just doesn't have the same look. But even so, I enjoyed Tombstone but I didn't try to read into some higher meaning like everyone else here does.

My god, you're right. The placement of the tree in the opening must symbolize the displacement of westerns in modern society and how, even as they continue to grow, they will eventually die off.

Do you see what I'm doing here.

I admit that I was basically just expecting another western when going into this. But the theme of it being "anti-western" wasn't made clear to me. Mainly because of what modern cinema has been doing to all movies in general. Taking these fun little things and taking the "gritty" route.

>Unforgiven has very little outside the "corrupt cop and grizzled cowboy" story

Yeah, that pretty much proves my point.

that's not how you spell The Searchers.