Remittances

Globally in 2016, people living abroad sent an estimated $574 billion back to their home countries. Such remittances can be important economic resources, especially to developing countries.

For five countries – Nepal, Kyrgyzstan, Haiti, Tajikistan and Liberia – remittances from citizens abroad are equivalent to at least a quarter of GDP.

Other urls found in this thread:

pewglobal.org/interactives/remittance-map/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

k den

you need to make a point here

like, a racist one?

Won't that cause inflation?

like that effect it may have etc etc

you just posted some factoid like this section of the population does this with this amount of money...
sure it's nice to know but it is not meaningful, not that we don't like to do your hw but this fact by itself is meaningless, you have to operate as why you believe it means anything

>operate
opinionate

>Won't that cause inflation?
Interesting, now that I think about it, indeed I wouldn't be surprised if big capital inflows would lead to inflation

Everest

In the Philippines because of remittances being such a huge thing causes people to be happier when the currency is weak. When the peso is stronger people feel squeezed.

>For five countries – Nepal, Kyrgyzstan, Haiti, Tajikistan and Liberia – remittances from citizens abroad are equivalent to at least a quarter of GDP.

Pretty sure Moldova's remittances are in that ballpark too.

I cannot find the exact percentage figure for other countries but you can make the calculations yourself here pewglobal.org/interactives/remittance-map/
Maybe it's going to be something like 24%, as you know Moldova is also another country that depends a lot of remittances

>portugal

According to the World Bank the top countries in 2014 were:
Tajikistan 41.7%
Kyrgyz Republic 30.3%
Nepal 29.2%
Tonga 27.9%
Moldova 26.2%
Liberia 24.6%
Bermuda 23.1%
Haiti 22.7%
Comoros 20.2%
The Gambia 20.0%

Most kyrgyz and tajiks actually work in uzbekistan because most of the Fergana Valley is located in there.

I don't like this.

Yes I was expecting something like that, maybe also the clusterfuck of exclaves have also something to do with the figures for Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan

money money money

I don't get the point?

Am I supposed to be angry at this?

Does me working in the US and bringing the money back to Canada count for these kinds of things?

the mexican posted something Sup Forums related
>Does me working in the US and bringing the money back to Canada count for these kinds of things?
I believe it does.

>Kyrgyzstan
Poor guys.

>Am I supposed to be angry at this?
wtf why