Are there people who only speak Irish, Welsh, or Scots and don't understand English at all?

Are there people who only speak Irish, Welsh, or Scots and don't understand English at all?

Other urls found in this thread:

patagonia-argentina.com/en/the-welsh/
youtube.com/watch?v=UP4nXlKJx_4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

why don't Irish care about their language?

because it pays for them to speak English, since Anglos have all the dough

no

then why don't Poles speak German?

First of all, Scots is a Germanic language that is arguably just a dialect of English. It is totally unrelated to the Irish or Welsh languages. You meant to refer to Scottish Gaelic, which was never actually spoken across most of Scotland.

Second, the answer to your question is 'no'. There are no native speakers of any Celtic languages left in the world who aren't also speakers of English. The last person to live their whole life speaking a Celtic language and never having any knowledge of English died centuries before you were born. Gaelic and Welsh and Manx and Cornish died out completely (except maaaybe for a handful of isolated villages), and most (read: all) of the speakers of those languages today were introduced to them artificially. The same is true of the Hebrew language in modern Israel. The Jews residing in Palestine in the days of the Ottoman Empire spoke Arabic, and Hebrew was reconstructed by the Zionist settlers as their everyday language to unite the diaspora under a common Jewish identity.

It's all contrived. Speakers of Irish in Ireland aren't relics of a nearly dead civilization keeping ancient Irish customs alive. That language and those customs are long dead, and the folks practicing them today are the descendants of republicans that tried reintroducing them from scratch to de-Anglo Irish society. It's as genuine as if a bunch of Swedish-Americans in Minnesota all looked up how to speak Swedish and retreated to some tiny village to all pretend to be Swedish together.

Don't trust this (((leaf)))
he wishes to eradicate Celtic culture

Because only half of Poland was under German rule, and only for ~200 years.
Irland was under British control for 4x times more (or somewhere around this)

all the special scots words are nordic

based leaf

Kek, it reminds me about situation with my native language in Russia.

You know why? Because Poles had their own STATE before being conquered by Germans and Russians. You had fully-functioning language with a lot of books, literature and other shit.

Irish had none of these things, so they weren't able to replace English with their native tongue.

We have same situation here, Russian language has much more stuff you can use. On the other hand, local language is USELESS and there are no resources to change it.

>Gaelic and Welsh and Manx and Cornish died out completely
Don't be an idiot, they didn't. At least not Welsh, it lives and prospers.

If all who speak it are bilingual it doesn't mean that the language is "dead". There are people who are able to learn more than just one language and use them in different situations, you know.

Welsh never died out, it lived on in the North and West of the country as an everyday first language in both the home and public life - although nearly everyone also spoke English if necessary. In the south English was much more dominant but women, in particular, continued to use chiefly Welsh well into the middle 20thC. My grandmother was a native Welsh speaker, she and my grandfather (a coal miner) spoke it in the home.

My father learned Welsh in the home as a child, and as an option in school (along with French) in the 1950s. Other school matters were conducted in English, but possibly not the rugby. The result was a very significant proportion of the population could always speak Welsh, but might not actually do so outside of the home or local community. In England people would learn Latin and French, as my mother did.

Similarly for Gaelic in Scotland, the far North and the Western Isles particularly, never completely died out. Again it was women using it for almost their entire lives whereas men would use English when dealing with "foreign" people and affairs - i.e. for work. Children grew up living in two languages, Gaelic at home and around the village, English at school and other places outside the local community.

From the 1970s onwards there was a definite cultural revival of the languages, made easier in Wales by the huge number of people who could still speak it perfectly well, thank you very much.

>You know why? Because Poles had their own STATE before being conquered by Germans and Russians. You had fully-functioning language with a lot of books, literature and other shit.
>Irish had none of these things, so they weren't able to replace English with their native tongue.

Slovenians had nothing either and we survived for a 1000 yrs under German domination. I still claim it's all about the money. The Carinthian part of our nation turned their back on us and chose to be German because the Germans controlled the cash flow in Carinthia, whereas you had Slovenian employers in the other lands. But it's also true that the Irish were systematically persecuted and disenfranchised so that a Catholic Gael had no means of advancement in British society whatsoever.

What's your native language?

This isn't really true, at least not in the case of Wales, you can visit today and they'll still speak Welsh with one another (and to you if they want to get on your wick)

>If all who speak it are bilingual it doesn't mean that the language is "dead".

Welsh and Irish and Scottish Gaelic speakers were introduced to it in school as a second language to learn instead of Latin or French, or else are the immediate descendants of those who learned it that way. It was never their primary language of everyday use.

Edward Maddrell (born in 1877) was the last man to have supposedly been a native speaker of Manx. He in fact learned it as a second language (after learning his native language of English) from his great-aunt, who had herself also probably learned and spoke English as her first language as a child. I really don't consider bilingual communities that basically speak their Celtic language as a cant to be Celtic speakers in the sense that OP intended. He specifically said: "Are there people who only speak Irish, Welsh, or Scots and don't understand English at all?". The answer to that is a definitive no.

>Welsh and Irish and Scottish Gaelic speakers were introduced to it in school as a second language to learn
>Proceeds to provide evidence and an example for how Manx speakers were introduced to it in school as a second language to learn.

This is pretty much entirely wrong.
There are still a handful of people who don't know English (mostly very old people and very young kids)
The only Celtic languages which died out are Cornish and Manx, the rest have never stopped being spoken.

>Speakers of Irish in Ireland aren't relics of a nearly dead civilization keeping ancient Irish customs alive.
That's true only because the language change didn't really affect the culture much. The customs were never in danger, and there is not really much difference between the Irish speaking areas and the English

Learning English doesn't make you forget how to speak Irish

As stated above, Welsh, Scottish Gaelic and Irish have never died out and there are still native speakers that are transmitting the language to further generations, the only languages with no mother tongue speakers are Manx and Cornish, but there have been revitalization efforts and now we have emerging second language speakers for those two "dead" languages, according to the 2011 Census there were 0 Manx native speakers but 1,660 L2 speakers and there were 0 Cornish native speakers but 600 L2 speakers.

I hear Scots-Gaelic everyday. It certainly isn't dead. Though there's only 40+K Native speakers left, most of which are in the Western Isles and I hear it from them speaking it in my city.

There might be some here -> patagonia-argentina.com/en/the-welsh/

They will likely speak Welsh and Spanish, English will be a third language for some.

leaf leave

I’ve met lots of first-language Welsh speakers, am only 2 generations below first-language Welsh family and I’m in one of the most anglicised areas of wales (altho that side of my family aren’t)

I’ve also met a Welsh monoglot who could only speak very basic english (he did have learning difficulties, but he still exists)

>arguably
There's nothing to argue about. It's plain to anyone with a pair of ears that it is just a dialect of English. It becomes clearer still when you compare it to the Northern English dialects which share some of its non-standard vocabulary.

I'd graze their pasture get me lads XD

>There are still a handful of people who don't know English (mostly very old people and very young kids)

Do you have any evidence of that? Of people born in the United Kingdom or Ireland who are fluent in a Celtic language and have no knowledge of English? That would be exactly what OP is asking about if you can find a reference for it.

>The only Celtic languages which died out are Cornish and Manx, the rest have never stopped being spoken.

One reason this is wrong is because of all of the Celtic languages that you didn't even bother to name that died out before English as we know it even existed. The second reason why you are wrong, and the one more pertinent to this thread, is because you are wrong about what I have said; my claim was that Irish and Welsh and Scottish Gaelic continued to be spoken only as second languages, tantamount to a village cant. My contention was never that there was no left alive who spoke a Celtic language, or even that none existed who were taught it from when they were born. My contention was that there was no one who did that without also being taught English from the beginning, too.

And I quote: "Second, the answer to your question is 'no'. There are no native speakers of any Celtic languages left in the world who aren't also speakers of English."

I never made any allegation that Gaelic or what have you was dead. The first person in this thread to reference a language being dead was the Russian in this post (), who put quotations around 'dead' as though he were quoting me, even though I never said that.

I know. I've stated flatly that Scots is an English dialect in previous threads, though, and it always gets some nationalist riled up. As you can see, talking about the Celtic languages always makes me get political.

>always makes me get political

*always makes people get political

Hopefully I haven't drifted into politics too, lol.

This is hilariously wrong

i don't know about the other languages but you're entirely wrong on welsh for a start. it's the language of everyday life and first language in much of mid-wales and gwynedd, particularly llyn peninsula and it's usage has been unbroken. infact, as late as the 1920's a decent percentage of these regions didn't speak english at all.

dia duit my BLACK BROTHERS

>The last person to live their whole life speaking a Celtic language and never having any knowledge of English died centuries before you were born.
What do you mean by 'knowledge of English'?. In 1851 about 5% of Ireland were monolingual in Irish, and monolingualism in Irish was documented into the 20th century. I mean, sure they probably knew the odd bit of English vocabulary but Irish speakers have had major language contact for all of their recorded history - even Archaic Irish shows influence from Latin.

>the folks practicing them today are the descendants of republicans that tried reintroducing them from scratch to de-Anglo Irish society
No, this has caused issues in the past. The standard Irish taught in schools is artificial and clumsy compared to the remaining native dialects. The death of the Gaelic literati class under English rule meant there was a large gap between classical written Irish and the Irish concurrently spoken. They opted to base the educational standard off all three major dialects to shitty results. Transmission of Irish down generations hasn't ceased yet.

>except maaaybe for a handful of isolated villages
There's no maybe about it. Isolated areas was the norm in Ireland so I'm not sure what else you expect? These languages didn't die, especially not Welsh.

>tfw no welsh anime gf

>gwynedd
You mean like in Flint?

I live there and nobody speaks it

Irish speaking (it's called Irish in English, you don't call french Francais) is nowhere near widespread enough to claim that Ireland is celtic in culture

>Flint

Stay away from Flint unless you want to get shot.

>you don't call french Francais

back off

Same with ukrainian.

Is everyone just going to pretend the Bretons don't exist?

To be fair they're absolutely irrelevant outside of the fact that they created crêpes I believe

I remember wayching some documentary somewhere from the late 70s early 80s about a small group of elder folk from the west coast of ireland who only speak irish.
There MIGHT be some monolinguals left, considering that its spoken by roughly 1mil people to a near fluent degree. Even in my language; Cree, theres something like

ok?

I read this with Lindybeige's voice

>Welsh and spanish
whew, quintesentially iberian

Most children born in heavily Gaeltacht areas will only learn English after entering school. Then there are the old people who live out west that never bothered learning English at all. Most adults that speak Irish as their first and native tongue tend to be bilingual in English for practical reasons.

M8 most people from Wales speak Welsh, and there are loads of people who can't speak English there

Jews managed to revive "their" language through the power of WE WUZ, Celts are just too lazy

Monolingual adult Irish speaker: youtube.com/watch?v=UP4nXlKJx_4

That's a 80s video, though, so I don't know if such thing still exists.

no lmao you're next to liverpool, gwynedd is the coast around snowdonia

how have you gotten this far in life without knowing the basic geography of your surroundings lad