2 hours 40 minutes

>2 hours 40 minutes

worth it?

what would you do with that time instead? what are you doing with that time right now? have you asked yourself these quesitons?
bump tho because im considering watching this as well

It's good if you're interested in the subject.

it's one of the shittiest movies/docs I've ever seen.

Stick to videogames, kiddo.

It's good but it's about killing commies so it's hard to feel sad about what happened.

of course. It's a great film.

what I want to know is if the "sequel" is any good- seems like a reach.

No, of course not. It's the logical conclusion of the Werner Herzog approach to documentary - flatter and showcase psychopaths in scenarios of their choosing. The next step for these people would just be sinking their faces onto Robert Mugabe's dick.

It's pretty funny actually. Great juxtaposition between the interviewees describing how they murdered and raped thousands of commies and then the weird goofy stuff they do today.

yeah you're right

also download director's cut version

>The Indonesian mass killings of 1965–1966 (also variously known as the Indonesian massacres, Indonesian genocide,[5] Indonesian Communist Purge, Indonesian politicide,[6][7] or the 1965 Tragedy) were large-scale killings and civil unrest which occurred in Indonesia over many months, targeting communist sympathizers, ethnic Chinese and alleged leftists, often at the instigation of the armed forces and government.

Is Indonesia /ourguy/?

How much of a psycho would you have to be to find that funny?

It literally is (((your))) guy since the killings were made possible by CIA

It doesn't work like that. It's not just the time, actively watching requires effort

Judging from this post I don't think you've seen either The Act of Killing or any Herzog documentary.

i got bored like 30 minutes into it

hopes were set too high i think

i think it's meant to shock sheltered women and nu-males

For ADD-riddled retards maybe.

That's because you lack discernment, which is why you rate either.

No, people with taste don't waste it on meme documentaries for male virgins who think murder is cool.

yup. It was good but nothing that i didn't inherently understand before.

>Dude killing communists is bad lmao

Yeah, remember that Herzog documentary about those guys on death row where he sits down and tells them how monstrous what they did was. I bet he even let them choose their cells as the place they'd be interviewed. What a celebration of death that was.

>worth it?

Not really. It could have been 2 hours shorter. For some reason it got hyped up way beyond its quality.

>tells them how monstrous what they did

Did you not notice how adolescent this was as you typed it? Herzog is garbage. Everything he makes is a celebration of "madness". He'd have made a great Nazi.

The reason was the timeless appeal of mondo shit.

Commies aren't people.

totally

>Did you not notice how adolescent this was as you typed it?
Sorry, what would be the mature way of describing the triple murder he was convicted of? I mean, what are you looking for here? You're bitching about how Herzog celebrates murderers when it's literally the opposite.

>Everything he makes is a celebration of "madness"
You're a fucking idiot. Everything he makes is overtly and explicitly rejecting the "madness" he's showcasing. That you are somehow unaware of this only further confirms that you've never actually seen a Herzog film.

it's entertaining and it takes a deep dive into the abyss of the human soul. The complete corruption, cowardly opportunism and mean strike of common people is presented so self evident, nobody even tries to hide it, they even pride themselves in their wickedness.
Really interesting watch!

I HATE IT

It's complete and utter garbage, you're going to be bored to death.
>m-muh dead gommiez ;___;

It's pretty intense.
Not mentioned in the film but interesting is the fact that Washington openly backed the militarist-capitalist regime that murdered half a million people.

the butthurt samefag tries to spew his plutocratic propaganda. Good Doggie!

Nice try you underage mental case.
They killed commie scum after commie scum killed millions of innocent people. You would be one of the first to go in a real communist state.

Yes

Yes, it feels absurdly bizarre sometimes, great experience

Also the "sequel" The Look of Silence is good too, It's about a crybaby commie asking people why they killed his dad and they are all "well he was a commie lol I don't give a fuck about you".

Both movies want to show the communist rebels as the good guys but the absurdity of all and the people not giving a fuck about them make the message backfires to me.

>Both movies want to show the communist rebels as the good guys
Probably just you, didn't get that feel from the movies at all

>Both movies want to show the communist rebels as the good guys
wat

The documentaries are showing the old muslims communist removers as people who did the killing job as if they were killing sheeps in a slaughterhouse.

The second documentary makes it more clear the communist as good guys who dindu nuffin because it makes it more personal using one case ("Oftalmologist" guy whos dad was killed looking for the people involved in his dead and telling them why they did it and why they didn't stop it).

Even more, the second documentary shows the 2 guys who killed his father recreating the scene of how they killed him cutting his groin with a machete and throwing him to the river

Both documentaries are about showing the perpetrators as souless killers who lives happy now.

I appreciated how well it shows how broken the death squad guys really were, having nightmares and ptsd and terrible regret they drown with their day to day shit.
great documemtary tbqh

>souless killers who lives happy now
user the whole point is to show that they can't be happy because of the things they've done.

I'm pretty sure the PTSD moments and regrets are exageration of the documentary.

They won't do the retard shit they do as with the movie recreation if they were regreting everyting each minute of their lives and living in a cave because of it.

no, its extremely over rated

Nah m8, those guys we're the literal equivalent to trailer trash with absolutly nothing good going on for the life except the fact that they pixked the right side on the genocide, and its pretty obvious that the older they get the more regretful they became, plus the way they killed people would leave you scarred no matter how tough you think you are.

Their regrets are obvious in the way they try to live their lives. Each of them tries to forget or make up for what they did in different ways and they all fail. Except for maybe the environmentalist guy but we didn't really see enough of him to know if he managed to come to terms with himself.

t.eenager

Literally what about my post was of a teenager m8
If you saw the documentary you'd see that those guys did nothing else with their life and they're just glorified thugs who are getting old, which is one of the reasons their PTSD and guilt is starting to catch up with them

t. teenager

At least you're bumping the thread :^)

The most interesting thing I took away from the documentary is that Anwar and people like him are mostly all losers. They live in tiny cramped apartments, fail in their political ambitions, commit pretty crimes.

Meanwhile, the real movers, the big wigs who orchestrated the purges, the newspaper men, the paramilitary leaders, are all living the high life. They never even really had to get their hands dirty, but they've profited substantially off the role they played.

Anwar and his crew were just useful idiots, and they've nothing else to show for it. It's why the cognitive dissonance is so high with them. What they did had to be right, because otherwise they have nothing.

The Look of Silence is better

Watch the theatrical cut. Honestly, I think the concept is fantastic, but the execution isn't very good.

Your taste is respectable and both films are great for different reasons.

sage is not a downvote you teenage redditor.

It's a fucking monumental film, truly one of the greatest documentaries ever made.

So yes watch it nigga.

The sequel is just okay. Like, it's not bad, but it's nothing compared to the first film.

Not to mention they were the guys who did the worst kind of shit to people back in the purges and thats pretty traumatizing no matter how tough you think you are.

:^)

At first I was kind of disappointed with the sequel but it's really grown on me over time. The guy they follow has the biggest balls captured on film.

Were they really supported by the USA? I think it's just a conspiracy theory.

It's not a conspiracy but it's not like they had US troops mowing down innocents in the streets. The US was going through the red scare at the time so a lot of anti-communist movements were getting funded with very little foresight.

The adolescent thing is thinking it adds anything for the director of Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call: New Orleans to come and tell them they done a wronger.

No, it doesn't "overtly and explicitly" reject it, it pretends to reject it while glorying in it. I've seen about a dozen Herzog films, enough to make a provisional judgement.

Great doco, amusing and bizarre at times

So here we have it: people who like The Art of Killing don't understand geopolitics any better as a result of having seen it. America is Rome. It doesn't give a shit about morality - morality is the line they feet their own idiotic liberals, whose privilege to mewl is secured on the rape of the world.

It's bizarre, and you laugh because of it. One of the gangsters, who is this big macho guy who has killed hundreds of people decides, inexplicably, to dress as a woman for most of the documentary

Did I say something wrong? I wasn't condoning what the US did but it sounded like the user I was responding to didn't have a very clear understanding of what the US involvement was like.

You're saying that if you make a movie about a morally bankrupt police officer you aren't allowed to make any moral statements? Are you seriously this retarded?

>enough to make a provisional judgement.
You're not making a provisional judgement. You've made up your mind and you're actively resistant to facts. When provided evidence that is contrary to your assertion to hurl non sequiturs about other movies completely unrelated to the topic at hand.

Its funny cause theyre idiot thugs who are doing stupid shit and think they are glorified gangsters from an even almost 50 years ago in a country most of us will never visit.
that makes it funny desu

I have the first Mole Song film, glad they did a sequel.

Miike is a treasure.

I replied to the wrong thread, but glad to see someone liked the franchise. Good for you man

It's funny, marx even talked about the type of people in this movie. Lumpen-proletariat, criminals that would work against their own self interest for short term gains and never able to realize class consciousness.

Marx was a fat fuck kike NEET who never held a real job and lived off his rich capitalist friends while twirling his beard in Vienna coffee shops.

total hack.

No, I'm saying that there is nothing anyone will gain in insight by having someone from the entertainment industry visit murderers and note that murdering people is bad. His horror is not a credential.

In the second paragraph, your syntax is breaking down under the weight of turns of phrase you've borrowed from people more intelligent than you are. You haven't provided any evidence against what I've said, just confirmed that you haven't the sophistication to perceive the issues in Herzog's work that I'm talking about. I haven't said anything that could qualify as a non sequitur. Werner Herzog is the guy who repeatedly put his colleagues at personal risk for the adrenalin rush of employing an overbearing abusive boor, used a mentally disabled guy as the leading actor in two films for the novelty value, and regularly makes documentaries that exploit variously disturbed individuals while disclaiming personal responsibility, or else add the kind of pat reflection any member of the public could muster. You like him because he doesn't challenge you, but seems like he *might* challenge other people. He doesn't, any more than the smirking crew behind The Art of Killing do.

no. the whole documentary felt like the trailer played on repeat. nothing of interest, basically showcases what a shit country it is.

>there is nothing anyone will gain in insight by having someone from the entertainment industry visit murderers and note that murdering people is bad
There's absolutely insight in that when you're making the claim that Herzog thinks murderers are good. Is the problem that you're just slow?

>I haven't said anything that could qualify as a non sequitur.
You said Herzog decrying murder and violence wasn't evidence that he decried murder and violence because he made a fictional movie about a morally bankrupt police officer. That's a non sequitur.

>exploit variously disturbed individuals while disclaiming personal responsibility
Exploiting how? Personal responsibility for what? Is your position that documentaries should never cover these topics? That they are verboten? That documentarians should somehow be personally responsible for the things the subjects of their documentaries did decades ago? What the fuck are you even talking about?

>You like him because he doesn't challenge you, but seems like he *might* challenge other people
What challenge? Literally no one has described any of these documentaries as challenging. They are interesting, and cover subjects that are not routinely seen or discussed. That doesn't mean there is anything difficult about the experience.

But please, invent more things that you think I believe and put them in my mouth rather than simply asking. That's a far more worthwhile avenue of argument rather than simply defending your initial point: that being, Herzog, through his documentaries, was supportive and celebratory of murderers. You've still not presented a shred of evidence to support this assertion beyond, "I've seen probably a dozen of his movies, so trust me, 'kay."

Yeah i'm sure all those families they murdered had killed millions of people before, you shit-for-brains

>when you're making the claim that Herzog thinks murderers are good.

I never said that, read the posts you're describing again.

>You said Herzog decrying murder and violence wasn't evidence that he decried murder and violence because he made a fictional movie about a morally bankrupt police officer. That's a non sequitur.

No I didn't, read the posts you're describing again.

>Exploiting how?

By making films whose only appeal is "watch the looney". Personal responsibility for making a film of them. Are you familiar with the concept of documentary ethics? He uses mentally disturbed people as entertainment while pretending a distance that he never actually occupies.

>What challenge?

Exactly. He's for teenage boys.

>a film decrying the murder of comumunists
>by "Joshua Oppenheimer"
REALLY makes one think