Is Tyler Perry talented or just another porch monkey?

Is Tyler Perry talented or just another porch monkey?

I liked him in Alex Cross and Gone Girl tbqh

forgettable

what exactly is a porch monkey? curious about these other american terms like "house nigga" too

>nigger
>talent
yeah you get to choose one pal.

porch monkeys and house niggers were slaves that swept the porches and cleaned the houses while the field niggers did all the work

Ameriboo cancer....

Diary of a Mad Black Woman and Madea's Family Reunion are passable. But you have to give the man credit. He built himself up from literally nothing (he was living in his car before he hit it big) and developed a formidable media empire.

literally z lister

>Tyler Perry is an American actor, comedian, filmmaker, writer, and songwriter, specializing in the gospel genre. Perry wrote and produced many stage plays during the 1990s and early 2000s. In 2011, Forbes named him the highest paid man in entertainment; he earned US$130 million between May 2010 and 2011. With new shows lined up, along with older successful shows, his net worth in 2017 is estimated to be $600 million.

> On October 2, 2012, Perry struck an exclusive multi-year partnership with Oprah Winfrey and her Oprah Winfrey Network (OWN). The partnership was largely for the purposes of bringing scripted television to the OWN, Perry having had previous success in this department.

> On June 14, 2017 Perry signed a long term deal with Viacom for 90 episodes/year of original drama and comedy series. Viacom also will have distribution rights to short video content and first loook at film concepts. The TV deal begins May, 2019, as he is still under contract to OWM.

How many celebrities can claim this kind of success?

He knows how to exploit his fellow black people to make a shit load of money

nobody has heard of his success because he has none. If you turn on the ol TV and see Tyler Perry's XYZ its just some dude in a wig

he doesnt act ghetto, so he is cool.

How is this different than appealing to any other audience? He found and untapped market and made a fortune.

Tyler Perry...Spike Lee...

Same person?

Spike Lee hates Perry.
> Despite praising Perry in 2006, director Spike Lee criticized his work in 2009 stating, "Each artist should be allowed to pursue their artistic endeavors but I still think there is a lot of stuff out today that is "coonery buffoonery." When asked if Perry's success among black audiences was a result of just giving black America what they wanted, Lee responded, "the imaging is troubling."

> In October 2009, during a 60 Minutes interview, Perry was read a quote of Spike Lee's comments about his work and responded, "I would love to read that [criticism] to my fan base. ... That pisses me off. It is so insulting. It's attitudes like that that make Hollywood think that these people do not exist, and that is why there is no material speaking to them, speaking to us."

He's a bad writer and filmmaker but an extremely talented businessman

You're reading too much into my post

Porch monkey has nothing to do with slavery

These days you might hear porch monkey applied to the typical Southern ghetto niggers that sit out on their porch all the time listening to music and greeting their pals as they pass.

I'd much rather have Perry's stereotypical trash than Lee's WE WUZ KONGZ nonsense.

Perry's absolutely right. Nobody was making movies for old black women, so he took advantage of the gap in the market.

My grandmammy is old and black and she likes shit like Beauty and the Beast

Maybe there are some black people out there who aren't constantly obsessed with race relations and social issue and just want a little escapism? Ever thought of that, Spike? I don't blame Perry for being a little pissed

>I'd much rather have black be poor and ignorant than elevate themselves

no surprise there keith

Spike is apart of the problem in a lot of ways, because everything involving black people has to be about black people being black people rather than telling some other story that happens to have black people in it.

can't believe he made the 25th hour, though I guess he didn't write it

Alex Cross was hilariously bad. Gone Girl though him or the female detective were easily the best character

> Alex Cross was hilariously bad
Morgan Freeman did it better