/tv kino

/tv kino

> how bad can they fuck it up

The movie was true to the comic AND improved the ending. You can only go down from here

>improved the ending

This is always said from people don't fully understand the comic book. I think the movie was OK but it was only visually and narratively adherent to the novel, it pretty much tossed some of the best symbolism and thematic elements from the book. It's not even Snyder's fault really, one of the great things about watchmen is how it uses the comic medium to it's advantage, and that simply cannot be replicated in a TV/Movie adaptation

I just watched the movie again, and I'm still amazed that they managed to make every treasured line from the book sound rote and flat. Every store besides Rorschach and Manhattan sucked on ice, and the sets were so art directed that they looked like stage sets from a Broadway show. Watch and Sally Jupiter scene and tell me that actress can act. The old age makeup was horrendous. Nothing worked, and Snyder's the reason. I look forward to seeing what HBO does with the material.

Honestly with the exception of some subpar acting this movie was about as good as any Watchmen movie adaption can possibly be desu.

>cannot be replicated in a TV/Movie adaptation
which is why it wasn't...

And he threw it out because it was stupid, the giant squid part, anyway.

I completely doubt Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Jackie Earle Haley will be topped.

I hated how they turned Ozymandeous an emasculated loser with nipples on his armor just to make fun of the Batman Forever and Batman and Robin movies.

The main thing that pissed me off was the jail scene when in the comic Rorschach kicks the toilet bowl off the wall and the water electricutes the 2 thugs. Shows how bright and calculated Rorschach is. In the film he just beats them up. Shit as fuck. Also as someone said above the line delivery was pretty shit by all.

I don't care how flimsy the logic of the whole plan was, is or how silly it would've looked... I still wanted to see the giant squid

Anyone who thinks the octopus is a better ending than Manhattan "nukes" is a pleb

I completely agree. JEH will be Rorschach forever in my eyes. He just hit every note I wanted him to hit on that character.

You quit line was shit. All the voice word was shit

>And he threw it out because it was stupid, the giant squid part, anyway.

I really don't mean this as an insult but if you haven't been reading comics during the silver age certain references and other meta things in Watchmen makes will just go over your head, the giant alien squid is just part of that.
The movie ending is fine because it didn't had time to properly set the squid up in a satisfying way but calling the squid thing stupid only shows your ignorance.

>whole point of squid is that it's so otherworldly that either side of the cold war can't blame the other for it
>guise, a giant squid alien is too silly... Let's just have him blame it on Manhattan, the guy who's been America's lapdog for decades...

I'm fine with changing it form a giant squid-creature but changing it to Manhattan was fucking retarded.

Why you keep insisting on that retarded meme.

What are you trying to prove here? That nipples on armor existed? yeah, we get it. It still looked stupid though and Snyder admited in an interview that the reason he put nipples on Ozy's armor is to be a call back to the Batman films.

He didn't, he was commenting on Internet reactions you illiterate idiot. He did said that capeshit affects pop culture and his movie. That's it. If you want to complain about Snyder do it, but stop spreading lies.

But it's not a lie. He admitted he did it as a dumb reference. You're really reaching here.

He didn't. Just like he didn't said he wanted batman to be raped. You don't understand the shit you read.

The Silver Age was overrated. The stories were paper thin and the art was terrible. I know some people say that's the 'point' but they're just hiding behind nostalgia. It's not like the ability to competently draw the human form wasn't available in the 40s and 50s, its just it was accepted that comic books were a trashy medium and nowhere near the level of art. Why should we lionize it when the whole point of Watchmen was that it was entirely a facade over fascism, rape and mental illness? Why harken to call-backs like the squid when we both know it was stupid and its inclusion was simply to reference the stupidity of Silver Age comic book plot premises? At least making it Manhattan made it interesting and internally consistent with the plot of the film.

Sounds like you're just in denial, my friend.

Manhattan was a godlike figure they knew they had no real control over and that made him terrifying. By having him be the catalyst which destroyed all those cities he makes the perfect enemy to rally against because everyone can appreciate the threat he poses, how little we as humans both understand or can predict what he'll do, and the enormity of what is required to even stand against him.

He, because of his condition, has become entirely alien to us. Which was the point of the squid, a half-baked Alan Moore idea that played off Ronald Reagan's dementia ramblings about the US and Soviets coming together to fight an alien invasion. It was obvious and otherwise had no connection to the plot other than being yet another layer in Ozy's convoluted onion of intrigue. Making it Manhattan was the better idea, better than the original idea by a country mile.

I've never read the comic but from what I understand the main difference that Ozymandias' plan and Dr Manhattan's loss of humanity were totally separate plotlines in the comics but in the movie it was Ozymandias that caused Dr Manhattan to run away to mars, then using fear of him to draw nations together rather than an alien monster.
Seems like a good way to adapt the story honestly.
I guess the main difference is that framing Dr Manhattan for the explosion would bring the USA and Russia together against a threat that wasn't actually real, and nobody outside of the initial attack would die. But with a giant squid monster it has the potential to kill many more people before it's defeated. So I guess comic Ozymandias was making a much greater sacrifice for peace than in the movie, where he basically tricked both sides into making peace rather than providing an actual reason.

>they knew they had no real control over

The American might have but not the Russkies. And even if they did know the US had no handle on him they'd still be able to blame the US for creating this monster to begin with, claiming that he wouldn't have existed if the glorious communism had existed in the US. They'd be quick to point the finger at the US to make the rest of the world turn to them instead of the US.

No matter how alien you make Manhattan in his interactions he still has his roots in America, forever anchoring him with one of the superpowers that the threat can't be anchored to.

IIRC Manhattan was immortal, so what would be the point of uniting if they knew they had no chance of stopping him if he chose to wipe out humanity?
Nice Trips btw.