What are your thoughts about this guy and his movies?

what are your thoughts about this guy and his movies?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/4_oiHWXLIFI
youtube.com/watch?v=SablNkX4zK8
youtu.be/QKBwH17FWJQ
youtube.com/watch?v=gHGZSU8xYJY
youtu.be/cgCWKRjoVSU
youtu.be/TZ6W_8Z8A9A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Gojira > Shin Gojira > Godzilla vs Megalon > everything else

most iconic Japanese character of all time

I haven't seen any of the Japanese ones.
The 98 Hollywood one was basically a dinosaur movie. The cartoon based on it was actually pretty cool, though.
The 2013 one was pretty awesome when Godzilla was on screen, but that wasn't very often. The human leads were horribly dull. When Bryan Cranston's character died and I realized his son was actual main character, I almost gave up.

>Godzilla vs Megalon
I love how many fans want to distance Godzilla from camp as much as possible yet love and regularly recommend Vs Megalon when it was the film to establish the poor reputation that hangs over the series

Shin Godzilla was one of the best movies of last year.

Agreed, the cartoon was surprisingly good.

I have a soft spot for it. It reminds me of a Star Trek TOS episode

My first Godzilla movie, also Megalon's design is just great.

Shin Godzilla was kino

Godzilla is a girl, though.

>there are people on Sup Forums who didn't see this in theaters

lived outisde the US, no way was my podunk theater getting it.

>was basically a dinosaur movie
Emmerich wanted to outdo Jurassic Park
youtu.be/4_oiHWXLIFI

>tfw my first Godzilla film was Godzilla vs King Ghidorah at about 2AM on Channel 4 on a school night

Could have been worse

Correct.

Bureaucracy versus Kaiju is way underappreciated.

Godzilla vs Gigan sometimes feels like a Golden Age film without the budget. The stock footage wasn't even necessary. Just padding that does the film no favors.

I don't think it was even released in my country

>minister wanted to stay behind to show solidarity
>gets fucking zapped along with all the other cabinet members

That fucking crushed me man

Don't remind me. I had tickets but couldn't make it

That sucks dudes, I'm sorry. I got to see it twice and spent nearly $100 getting a bunch of my friends tickets too. Good, good times.

I kept myself neatly unspoiled, so I legitimately freaked out when godzilla turned into the neon hedgehog. It was amazingly good.

Does it need a sequel? Nope. I'd like one, though.

I like that they made him not a corrupt evil asshole but someone who was genuinely just not able to adapt quickly enough to the situation. People can rag on the first 15 minutes being slow or whatever but I loved it, it was almost infuriating how people seemed to shunt responsibility around while the problem grew from something relatively minor to something catastrophic.

>Shin Godzilla was kino
wrong. it was absolute shit.

Saw it in theatres with my brother. Was pretty good desu

Thanks for outing yourself as a pleb

>hurr durr it can't come on land muh square cube law
>uh oh
>UH OH

And yeah the skepticism giving way to teamwork and ALL HANDS ON DECK was pretty nice to see

Godzilla vs Biollante is my favorite godzilla movie

> Super X theme starts playing

youtube.com/watch?v=SablNkX4zK8

Thanks for the insightful input. Now kill yourself

>Bureaucracy versus Kaiju is way underappreciated
How? It's the most acclaimed Godzilla film besides the original and it was a box office smash. Anno really did the material justice.

I think this really plays into his baby form being so cute. Its hard to take seriously as a threat until you actually see that family being killed.

I bet none of you saw g2k in theaters
you guys missed out desu srs

Name the other films then. No joke, no troll. I need every bureaucracy versus monsters film.

Night Watch from Russia might count. If you read books, the Laundry Files are an example from a Lovecraft/British angle.

the only thing shit about Shin Godzilla was the American-Japanese women who wants to become president

At least she was easy on the eyes

She so hot though, but we all know who best girl is

Its not quite the same, but you might like Arrival given the very heavy focus on problem solving. The aliens look decent but its not a monster movie.

> Uh-huh, Yeah, Uh-huh, Yeah starts playing

Whether or not I find her attractive fluctuates wildly depending on the image in question. More than any other woman I've seen.

>Got to see it in a cinema
>mfw the atomic breath scene

Nothing else came close in 2017. It was the best and truest since the original film.

She has like zero makeup on in Shin gojira since she's an office nerd with no social life presumably (which I think led to a nickname by fans)

She's cute when cleaned up proper.

i want to eat her ass so bad

>zero makeup
just because you can't see make up doesn't mean it's not there

>actors
>zero makeup
You realize that was the intent of the film, right? To make her look like she didn't care about her face that much?

>You realize that was the intent of the film, right?

yes which is why I said right after

>since she's an office nerd with no social life presumably. Damn son, I covered my ass.

Some people say this rivals Gojira. What do you think?

The problem with Gamera is there are always kid actors. Kid actors are always annoying but when they're screaming in Japanese it dials up to 11

Are any of the pre-Heisei Gamera movies entertaining? They look 100x cheaper than the Showa Godzillas.

he can do allot with nothing.

oh yeah. They're stupid, but a ton of fun.

>Directed by Kōbun Shizuno (guy who directed some Detective Conan movies and nothing else)
>Screenplay by Gen Urobuchi

Are you ready for this animekino?

The fights are great. Everything else is awful

They're much cheaper. Gamera vs Barugon is objectively the best of the bunch.

The Heisei Trilogy didn't revolve around children. And if you want to see a Showa Gamera done right check out Gamera the Brave.

Pretty lame that they're using the US Godzilla instead of coming up with a new design. They could have tweaked it a little at least. I guess they really want the American audience

I'll admit I haven't seen the newer ones. I thought his whole shtick was he protected children?

In Showa he was Friend of All Children. In Showa he is Guardian of the Universe. They made a movie in like 2006 where he is back to being a child lover.

>In Heisei he is Guardian of the Universe

How bad is Ultraman? My dad used to watch the US version as a kid and I thought it might be comfy to watch it with him
youtu.be/QKBwH17FWJQ

Depending on which version it is, shit can get very real.

in the Heisei he is like the defender of EVERYONE, but there is some silly psychic link between him and Steven Seagal's daughter. The trilogy is pretty cool (or at least 1 and 3 - I never got around to 2). It's a bit more "adult" in that Gamera and the monsters' collateral damage is a bit more visceral and deadly. But the guy has his heart in the right place.

Really nice music for the reboot as well. Youtube took down the kick-ass pop song that was in the credits of the first one, but the other stuff is good too.

youtube.com/watch?v=gHGZSU8xYJY

>I'm helping!

>It's a bit more "adult" in that Gamera and the monsters' collateral damage is a bit more visceral and deadly.
youtu.be/cgCWKRjoVSU

>what are your thoughts about this guy and his movies?
I wasn't aware Godzilla was a director.
What are some of works?

I'm afraid it'll be a mess. Last time someone tried something this busy we got Final Wars.

>implying Final Wars was bad

man. I know Gyaos are ancient biological super-weapons but Gamera III can get so brutal. What a change from the original run.

I still remember that part when Gyaos swoops down and picks off that dog that's leash is tied to a pole. Poor thing couldn't even get away.

it came out last year gaijin

Come on, user. It was a commercial and critical flop. Adjusted for inflation it's the worst performing Japanese Godzilla movie. It's also the most expensive.

>it's a bad movie because muh money and muh critics

One day you too will be able to have your own opinion on things.

I have my own opinions. It's a mess of movie. Too derivative (X-Men, Star Wars, Independence Day, The Matrix). Too try hard. Too many elements to juggle and very few were done well. Came off as a fan-fiction. All of this at the expense of the monsters. Speaking of the monsters, some of their redesigns were awful (Ghidorah fared the worst in this regard) and the choices were all over the place (MechaGodzilla was at one point slated to be included). Visually it looks bad. The quality of special effects are wildly inconsistent for a movie this expensive. GMK and Tokyo SOS from a few years earlier and less money look better. Kaneko's Gamera Trilogy had less money and still looks better.

>Too try hard.

You're an idiot who has no idea what that means.

Pretty gay, but I still like them.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Depends. Urobuchi's stuff is really hit or miss. If he's on board for the whole thing and doesn't abandon the story halfway through we'll get something like Madoka, Psycho-Pass, or Thunderbolt Fantasy - something watchable & enjoyable. If this is just a script he abandoned that someone found in the trash with his name in the corner it's going to be a trainwreck and not the good kind.
On the bright side, I saw Blame! the other day and Polygon seems to improve their CG with every new movie & series.

Good music. Reminds me of robocop.
Godzilla series tapped into some Japanese musical talents

> nitpick
> baseless assumption
> lack of an argument
dismiss yourself

But I'll elaborate. It wanted to appeal to younger demographics and desperately tried to be slick. Except it fails to pull this off and the blatant borrowing (with inferior execution) from other sources doesn't help.

That got unnecessarily brutal

Here's your reply dude.

this was satisfying enough

Godzilla vs KK is the greatest kaiju movie ever made and you can't prove me wrong

It's OBJECTIVELY a 10/10

It was really forgettable. At least the MC had a reason for being a little kid.

youtu.be/TZ6W_8Z8A9A

It was pure fucking trash.

>tfw Shin Godzilla came out in Mexico too in januay
>tfw managed to see the movie without getting spoilered

> pure fucking trash.
You're overdoing it, user. It wasn't remotely that bad. Inoffensive entertainment. Nothing that will rock your world or leave much of an impression afterwards, though enjoyable while you're watching it.

>likes Shin Godzilla

It wasn't enjoyable and it wasted my time. Put it back in the fucking garbage.

Convince me, user. What were the problems? What makes it so irredeemable?

Godzilla is awesome but the two American films are garbage.

>another waifucuck gulping down shit
Nah, I'm out.

>Does it need a sequel? Nope. I'd like one, though.
At least it's getting one, they just can't make one until 2020 due to some stupid contract shit with the Godzilla IP. No Japanese live action Godzilla movies can be made when an American Godzilla is being made, according to Higuchi at G-Fest.

Really weird shit.

For those wondering about a sequel to Shin Godzilla or any next live-action iteration from Toho it seems there will not be one for quite some time. Due to whatever contract they signed, Toho cannot make a live-action Godzilla film while a Legendary project is in production. I guess the anime film was a loophole.

Yeah, for about 3 minutes of the movie where they blew their whole budget, everything else about the movie is just horrible

how did they get away with this

Wrong on so many levels

I have an open mind here. Why treat me with contempt? If you have a genuine argument then I'd really like to see it.

The acting was horrible, half of the movie was boring af, Godzilla had less screen time than in the 2014 movie and the rest of the time wasn't even dedicated to other Kaijus, it was just fucking politics all the time.

Also Godzilla looked fucking ridiculous for most of the movie, having only one decent scene. It didn't do justice to the monster.

It's not the 70s anymore, movies nowadays have actually decent special effects and poor sfx take away from the movie a lot.

>acting was horrible
It was not. The characters and editing/cinematography keeps things interesting and fresh. It has some of the best characters of all Godzilla films.
> half of the movie was boring af
No it was not. Has one of the better narratives of the franchise. It was every much in the spirit of Gojira and Neon Genesis Evangelion.
> Godzilla had less screen time than in the 2014 movie
Had almost twice the amount of screen time
> movies nowadays have actually decent special effects and poor sfx take away from the movie a lot
The effects weren't that bad. There were actually quite good for the amount of money they had to work with.