Supposedly the greatest filmmaker

>supposedly the greatest filmmaker
>all his movies are adaptations of superior novels
lol any kino cucks care to explain how movies are the better medium again?

Transformative media, he turned shit into gold.

Kubrick did for books what Snyder has done for comics. He enhanced them

>Claim that "the book is better"
>I actually haven't read the book, neither do I have intention on doing so, as I simply wanted to look more intelligent at the particular moment

Who else does this?

>>supposedly the greatest filmmaker
reddit

The Killing - Better than the novel
Paths of Glory - Better than the novel
Spartacus - Better than the novel
Lolita - Worse than the novel
Dr Strangelove - Better than the novel
2001: A Space Odyssey - Better than the novel
A Clockwork Orange - Better than the novel
Barry Lyndon - Better than the novel
The Shining - Better than the novel
Full Metal Jacket - Better than the novel
Eyes Wide Shut - Better than the novel

Pretty good track record tbqh

A book can't be better than a film. That's like saying my tangerine is better than your honey crisp.

reddit
Film and lit can't be compared

He knew stuff.

It's easy to elevate bad books, which he did. The only good book he attempted to adapt was Lolita and it was poor.

Not true.

Fear and Desire and Killer's Kiss are not based on novels. 2001 was based on a short story.

In addition.

Dr. Strangelove, The Shining, and Eyes Wide Shut are better then the novels they were based on.

I never read a few of the books (the ones that Berry Lyndon, and full metal jacket are based off) but my only disagreement is Clockwork Orange, which i find the movie equal to.

Both Clockwork Orange and Shining are better than the books they're based on.

Lolita was killed by censors.

Even the newer Lolita movie was butchered by censors.

Also, the story of 2001 was being written at the same time as the movie was being made. It wasn't released until after.

Everything else you said was true, but A Clockwork Orange is better than the novel as well.

The only novel that was better than the movie was Lolita, because its probably the best modern English novel ever written.

I call out anyone who claims Clockwork Orange book is better a bullshitter. None of them can give me a single reason backing their claim.

Well Burgess did invent a language to write the book, combining Russian and English. And it has some of the most striking wordplay since Nabokov, which isn't surprising since he was also Russian.

That being said, the movie is perfect, so the novel can't really compare.

Fair enough - the rights of "Sentinel of Eternity" was also involved in 2001.

Also I really think that Kubrick had some major issues trying to get Lolita made due to the censors wouldn't allow him to do some things that he wanted to do.

"because of all the pressure over the Production Code and the Catholic Legion of Decency at the time, I believe I didn't sufficiently dramatize the erotic aspect of Humbert's relationship with Lolita. If I could do the film over again, I would have stressed the erotic component of their relationship with the same weight Nabokov did."

Fuck off kinoturd

you think the recent Anna Karenina movie is better than Tolstoy?

There are two version of the novel.

The movie is based off the american version,

British version of novel > Movie > American Version of novel.

I still feel like Lolita (the movie) holds up. It has beautiful cinematography, good pacing, the only real issue is the actress who played the mother, but she's barely in it. The relationship is definitely downplayed (you never even see them kiss), but the fact that Kubrick was able to imply that there was some kind of group of "artists" who were all involved in some kind of ring was something he wouldn't ever touch on again until Eyes Wide Shut.

"All the best people shave twice a day"

"Any royalty?"
"All the best people"

Don't get me wrong, the movie is damn brilliant, and doubly so when you realize it was made under the Hays Code

I mean if were on the topic of censorship, Eyes Wide Shut was censored WAY more than Lolita, we don't even really know what his final cut would have been because he died before the release.

I guess you could argue it both ways.

eyes wide shut had more stuff that was cut directly from the proposed cut.

Lolita didn't go in many directions since he knew it would be censored.

I think by the time eyes wide shut came around two things happened.

1. He knew this might be his last movie so just went all out.
2. the reports of censorship was great free publicity for the film and helped sell a movie that many thought was going to be hard to market even with the stars they had.

thanks for allowing me to finally understand why I've felt that Kubrick is so pleb. the Snyder of his time. complete fucking garbo

I seriously doubt you've actually read all the source material in your post. but imo it's damning that all his films are adaptations because he's never directed a story that was written to be told on the screen. that kind of thing is the cancer that's been killing film for a long time. the magic of film lies in capturing moments, not necessarily telling a story

>but imo it's damning that all his films are adaptations because he's never directed a story that was written to be told on the screen

Which is a bunch of Bullshit since Fear and Desire and Killer's Kiss are both original screenplays.