Does Dunkike portray how the Anglos thanked the French for protecting their retreat by bombing the French fleet at mers...

Does Dunkike portray how the Anglos thanked the French for protecting their retreat by bombing the French fleet at mers el kebir?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oradour-sur-Glane_massacre
youtube.com/watch?v=PzIGjUyttpU
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scuttling_of_the_French_fleet_in_Toulon
imdb.com/title/tt5013056/
youtube.com/watch?v=w6C5P-AYGdY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No, it's mostly Americans saving the day, as usual.

Shh now goy this isn't the kind of question you're supposed to ask

>muh defeat in victory/epic dunkirk spirit post-war kosher atrocity propaganda blockbuster (It's not "defeat" when our side is losing goy, then we call it a ""successful evacuation"" instead bwahaha)
>muh stabbing our former ally in the back just because he made peace with germany
>muh losing 100% of our colonies after two world wars but at least we firebombed some german cities in the process

The british are a disease

>frenchies boats want to join you
>bomb them by surprise

I made a huge mistake

I for one can only but hope such a fine moment in British history is shown. Of all the times we triumphed over a French fleet, this was the most decisive and tactically brilliant

fuck off frog

Does Dunkirk portray that the obsession of the "little boats" is mostly nonsense since the majority of men were evacuated from the harbor on large ships?
Does Dunkirk portray that even when "little boats" were used 90% of the time they were crewed by assigned naval personnel, not their civilian owners/crew?

>Sup Forums Sup Forums complains that most ww2 movies are lol fuck the nazis propaganda movies
>now theres one which focuses on the british soldiers therselvels and not the nazis being bad Sup Forums still thinks its cucked

Unironically yes.

No, it'll probably be British-centered revisionism, like most historical movies made by Americans
Don't expect them to talk about how the French rearguard protected the entire operation while British troops were sitting on the beach

You'll probably get the POV from one of the waiting British soldiers that's "so brave" because he's getting bombed every few hours, and zero mention of the intense fightings between the French rearguard and the advancing Germans just few kms away within the land...

Frogs deserved it for being surrender cucks

>UK's greatest WW2 battle is a retreat.

>[dole music starts]

wtf I forgot that the German occupation killed 200,000 non-Jewish French now!

>they had cool uniforms and they were polite with ladies so the occupation was ok

This coming from people obsessed with "cucking"

Sup Forums doesn't know what to do with this movie. The usual shitposting threads on it were talking about how it was a jewish conspiracy because it didn't portray the nazi's as heroes, but now they're saying it's the Jews giving it bad reviews because they hate white people

>it didn't happened
or
>they were commie terrorists

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oradour-sur-Glane_massacre

such a paradise!

There were 200,000 civilian-disguised communist terrorists in France in 1940?

Seeing how angry stormfags will get by this movie will make my IMAX 70mm tickets purchase all the more worth it.

based nigposter

It's a WW2 movie so they have to rant about even if it's not about the jews, the nazis being bad, and without women or minorities... basically, if it's Hitler dindu nuffin: the movie, then it's kike propaganda

*it's not

It is impossible for us, your comrades up to now, to allow your fine ships to fall into the power of the German enemy. We are determined to fight on until the end, and if we win, as we think we shall, we shall never forget that France was our Ally, that our interests are the same as hers, and that our common enemy is Germany. Should we conquer we solemnly declare that we shall restore the greatness and territory of France. For this purpose we must make sure that the best ships of the French Navy are not used against us by the common foe. In these circumstances, His Majesty's Government have instructed me to demand that the French Fleet now at Mers el Kebir and Oran shall act in accordance with one of the following alternatives;

(a) Sail with us and continue the fight until victory against the Germans.

(b) Sail with reduced crews under our control to a British port. The reduced crews would be repatriated at the earliest moment.

If either of these courses is adopted by you we will restore your ships to France at the conclusion of the war or pay full compensation if they are damaged meanwhile.

(c) Alternatively if you feel bound to stipulate that your ships should not be used against the Germans lest they break the Armistice, then sail them with us with reduced crews to some French port in the West Indies—Martinique for instance—where they can be demilitarised to our satisfaction, or perhaps be entrusted to the United States and remain safe until the end of the war, the crews being repatriated.

If you refuse these fair offers, I must with profound regret, require you to sink your ships within 6 hours.
Finally, failing the above, I have the orders from His Majesty's Government to use whatever force may be necessary to prevent your ships from falling into German hands.

The French boats specifically were not going to join, or even sail to a neutral country.

reminder that a majority of the french were on favour of the occupation
youtube.com/watch?v=PzIGjUyttpU

back to pol with you

Because all these choices, except sunking the ships, would have boken the armistice. Letting the brits have control over the fleet, even just to accompany them to a french port, would have been seen as a breach of the armistice by the germans at that point.

>It is impossible for us, your comrades up to now, to allow your fine ships to fall into the power of the German enemy

And yet Britain did, out of pure cowardice
The bulk of the French fleet (more than 120 ships) was located in Toulon (French coast), but Brits never attempted anything against it because they were too scared of Germans to even come back near French coast before Daddy America was with them
So instead, Brits attacked a tiny French flotilla of 9 ships in Algeria (Mers El Kebir) and the French had to scuttle their main fleet themselves so it wouldnt fall to German hands

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scuttling_of_the_French_fleet_in_Toulon

racist shit movie that doesnt have any black leads or latinos. The only people who like this movie are white trash nazis.

join us in rating it down on imdb to send a message to Hollywood about diversity!
imdb.com/title/tt5013056/

Commanding officers said that they were in favour of keep on fighting.
>Admiral François Darlan, Commander of the French Navy, promised that the fleet would remain under French control and out of the hands of the Germans.[3]
Surviving french sailors said that they were in favour of joining the british navy and keep on fighting.

Negotiations were led by retards.
>Somerville did not present the ultimatum personally. Instead, this duty fell to the French-speaking Captain Cedric Holland, commanding officer of the carrier HMS Ark Royal. Admiral Gensoul, affronted that negotiations were not being conducted by a senior officer, sent his lieutenant, Bernard Dufay, which led to much delay and confusion. As negotiations dragged on, it became clear that neither side was likely to give way.[19]

>French Navy Minister Admiral Darlan was at his house at Nérac in Gascony on 3 July, and could not be contacted. Admiral Gensoul told the French government that the alternatives were internment or battle.[20]

Brits attacked willing allies without a war declaration. Churchill dun goofed

Apparently the movie doesn't even show the city of Dunkirk.

>doesn't even show the city of Dunkirk.

lol

evidence? no shitty anecdotal german propaganda youtube vid

Jews are always gonna jew bro, thats why people call them rats and shit due to all the sneaky shit they do and lies they tell, aka taking over CNN and using it as a propaganda machine or taking over hollywood etc..

But that's not what he's saying, why are you lying on the internet?

>anecdotal german propaganda youtube vid
So Marcel Ophuls’s The Sorrow and the Pity is a german propaganda film. Sure thing, bro.

4u:
The.Sorrow.And.The.Pity.1969.Part.1.1080p.BluRay.x264-GHOULS
The.Sorrow.And.The.Pity.1969.Part.2.1080p.BluRay.x264-GHOULS

>shoot historical movie on location
>doesn't show the location

He's an old french communist telling on how the resistence was persecuted as bandits.

Full film goes on much more on the passivity and compilicity with the german occupation.
From
>our country was in a moral bankrupcy and the germans could give us jobs
to
>at least the nazis took care of the jews and the comunist that were sinking the country

Couldn't find a full clip, but comes from here

I just read one french critic: he's mad because they're barely showing french fighting, Nolan seems to forget that 40 000 french sacrified themselves, and that 120 000 french were also evacuated.

Fucking anglos...

>boohoo where are my frogs in this british film

I bet you don't complain that Ancient Greek literature is almost all about Ancient Greece though do you?
If the French want a Dunkirk about the French they can make their own fucking movie, just like the Russians can make their own movie about the Eastern Front if they want to, just like the Germans have made dozens of movies about the experiences of their people during the war.
But no, French filmmakers want 3 hours of B&W footage of cigarette smoke wafting in front of a stained glass depiction of Christ and Russian filmmakers are too busy swilling cheap spirits to make anything of worth, so you get nothing, faggot

The issue is that the French were the key players in the Battle of Dunkirk
I know Americans hate France and the French, but rather than unwarrantedly excluding them from moments of history in which they played a major role (like it happened in the American video game BF1 and now in this American movie), American media creators should just choose moments of history in which the French were irrelevant, if it irritate them so much to depict frogs fighting

It's a british movie about the brits sitting on the beach and their transportation from that beach. If pollacks wanted to make a movie about a couple of pollacks fighting off the Germans during Dunkirk they can and have no obligation to show the brits or the frogs in it.

And by the way, you can see the french troops at 1:07 right in the trailer.

>Let's make a movie about the battle of Dunkirk
>A battle which was a crucial turning point of the war especially because the french army managed to stop the german advance, allowing the british army to escape so they can carry on the fight
>But don't show them

Stop being retarded

There are french troops in the movie, they just aren't the main focus. Stop spewing bullshit without even seeing the film.

But you barely see any of them, a few seconds of a group of french trying to fight back, a few french disguising as brits to be evacuated, it's almost like french people actually sacrified themselves and we don't see any of that, just brits on a beach being all brave about it.

can you stop reposting this shit?

also dunkirk was just a german tactical blunder

>If the French want a Dunkirk about the French they can make their own fucking movie

The French film industry is currently irrelevant. In the current year of our Lord, 2017, the UK's film industry is by far the biggest and most relevant in Europe.

Yes, because it's about the brits on the beach. It's not a history channel documentary, it's a british movie about the brits on the beach.
You don't complain when american ww2 don't show the russians dying in massive numbers. You don't complain when the french make movies exclusively about the french.
If the french want to make a film about their troops, they can.

>You don't complain when american ww2 don't show the russians dying in massive numbers.

Maybe because americans make movies about battles involving americans and not russians?

Well yeah they are not right there, but they are the reason why the war was won.
Just like the french troops in the battle of Dunkirk are not fighting off germans right at that beach, they are fighting inland. And they are acknowledged in the movie, but it's not about them.
That would be just a standard ww2 "lets kill all the nazis" heroic shootout film and Nolan wasn't going for that. It's a suspense movie about scared britbois dodgding stukas, torpedos and bombs with no actual defense.

If you want a french movie about Dunkirk, watch "Weekend at Dunkirk" with JP Belmondo, it's really good and full of feels

to be fair, the French lost a fleet, the British lost an empire

french are scum and nearly lost the war for the commonwealth.

even the americans are better

>Let's make a movie about the British retreat of Dunkirk, and let's show you that from the PoV of the British infantry
>Should we also jarringly teleport to the French line to shoehorn them into this otherwise focused vision
>no

Smart move by Nolan

Movie is about Brits cowe...wiating on the beach and waiting to evacuate before the Germans reach them
So of course showing the French forces who were slowing down the German advance so that the evacuation could take place would make sense, cretin

>muh stabbing our former ally in the back just because they surrendered again
ftfy

>being this mad about military defeats

You'd think the surrender monkeys would be used to them by now.

The French were an irrelevance in WWII. They were just a millstone around the Allied necks, and couldn't wait to capitulate.

Defending France was a stupid mistake by Churchill, but at least he made up for it at Mers el Kabir.

And they are shown, but only briefly because that would be turn to a standard ww2 "lets kill all the nazis" heroic shootout film and Nolan wasn't going for that.

>The French were an irrelevance in WWII

For most of the war, indeed
That's why you won't hear anyone whine about them not being depicted fighting in Saving Private Ryan or Fury

But there, Nolan chose the one moment of the war in which they were relevant, and exclude them to focus on Brits that were just waiting on a beach like scared children while frogs protected them from the enemy

>jarringly teleport

That's called a cut

IMDb lists a few French soldiers.

>It's another "Americlaps deluding themselves into thinking they mattered in WWII" episode

I'm so glad someone else here knows about this. Not even European, but I get annoyed at the 'Frenchmen are cowards' meme.
Without a truly heroic effort on the part of the French soldiers, Dunkirk would have been a complete disaster.

>can you stop reposting this shit?

see
Also, sage.

No, that's called bad storytelling/pacing.
You focus on one thing, not a million things at once. And Nolan finally learned that with Dunkirk and you want him to make an exposition filled convoluted mess again instead because muh frogs.

>Having more than 1 plot thread is bad storytelling

You shouldn't stop taking your Ritalin

Nice revisionism too, because the British fought the Germans aswell , hundreds of thousands of French troops were rescued and made it to England, tens of thousands of British died or were captured by the Germans. Most French were repatriated back to France, and surrendered anyway with very few joining the resistance.

Cry more.

He has already three non-linear narratives going on (land, sea, air) and you want him to add a yet another front line dealing with a completely different issue alltogether just because "muh frogs"?
Hope you don't plan on having a career as a writer.

I can't stop laughing at that poster.

>hundreds of thousands of French troops were rescued and made it to England
I'm kinda ok with the fact that the movie has to focus on the beach but 0 french soldier being evacuated???

>but 0 french soldier being evacuated???

I dunno I haven't seen the film.

>I'm kinda ok with the fact that the movie has to focus on the beach but 0 french soldier being evacuated???

in that 10 minute preview that was leaked they showed french troops

So glad the brits are getting shit from everyone
>bawwww why am I not in your ww2 movie that you made about yourself!?

now you faggots know how americans feel every time we make a ww2 movie

Stop whinning, this movie isnt a documentary
For those who want to know what REALLY happened at Dunkirk, here's a great documentary on the topic

youtube.com/watch?v=w6C5P-AYGdY

it actually is

a movie that has no
>inner dialogue
>flash backs
>time skips
>teleport cuts
>obvious expository dialogue

is kino

tbqh the film isn't exactly glorifying the British all that much and no one says it was Britain's finest hour. Even in the trailer it says it was a colossal military disaster.

>muh inclusivity

Oh look, another SJW whining about "muh representation".

That's not something you see every day, is it?

>complaining about no niggers at dunkirk is the same as complaining about no french

i don't even care about the french but you're fucking stupid

No, at the start of the movie a British soldier is shown running to the beach while French soldiers guard and protect the beach. They even glare at him while he walks past.

The French are in the movie, you retarded fucking turbofaggot. You've wetting your pants for absolutely nothing. Now call the nurse and get yourself cleaned up FFS.

The French are in the movie protecting the beach. There is even a French soldier who saves the two main characters at one point.

Sailing to french ports or a US port would not have broken the armistice

The brits couldn't allow the french fleet, which had a large number of surface units, to be german, both due the number of units, but also that they where already in good spots to be surface raiders.

has anyone ITT actually managed to see it yet or what

>Be French
>declare war
>get overrun in a month
>resistance is total shit and just fights each other

Next time I pick a fight, I hope I'm as dapper as the chap that wrote this

Saw it yesterday.

I wanted to shit on it, the only nolan films I like are Prestige, Memento, and Insomnia.

it is really fucking good. As in I could argue this is the best film in a decade good. No one does a bad acting job, and many people do a great job acting.

the airplane dogfights are fucking amazing

You go right into the events of the movie, no "This is what going on" and no old guys talking about what a crisis this is.
Just getting to the beach and how in the hell are you going to off it.

bane is really good, so is Mark Rylance, even the singer is good.

The only bad part is it too good for memes and some of the troops on the beach look alike due to haircuts and general looks

You deserved it, surrendercucks

ah, that's really to hear.

It's not a meme. The French are cowards. They get foreigners to do all the heavy fighting for them and always have

>The brits couldn't allow the french fleet, which had a large number of surface units, to be german

See

>but I get annoyed at the 'Frenchmen are cowards' meme.

The thing is, even the people using this meme know this is bullshit but they just do it for banter.

WW1 - 1.3 million killed, 4.3 million wounded, out of a population of 40 million.

thats over 5% of the men killed.

France actually has a pretty impressive military history

If anything, Britain is the country that always get its allies to do all the fighting only to claim victory at the end (Seven Years War, Napoleonic Wars, Crimean War, WW1, WW2...)

As a matter of fact, while France often fought alone against European coalitions (as you can see on pic), Britain has literally NEVER won any european war by itself without strong allies

This is true, frogs have more wins than losses. They wouldn't have been btfo in WWII if their high command didn't suck.

P E R F I D I O U S
A L B I O N

Britain is an island nation and has never had a huge land army like France, they've always relied on their navy and alliances. The United Kingdom also never shat in its own backyard (Europe) and wanted to take over the continent like the French, because of this the French made a lot of enemies who allied with the UK.