ITT: Oh yeah, that happened

ITT: Oh yeah, that happened.

good movie

Are you pretending like everyone forgot about it?
Because we still have pretty much daily Arrival threads.

It's been 3 years since it's release and we still have daily Interstellar threads too, I really don't understand what do you mean by this.

However.

You could say that was dead on arrival

Arrival was great, best sci-fi movie in recent memory. Arrival makes Interstellar look like Lost in Space.

Arrival was the same trash exposition babbys first scifi as interstellar

if only

>wtf i love globalism now

castaway in space with pop music

>I'm gonna have to reddit the SHIT out of this

Because it's so bad

why hasn't that old hack retired yet

I love the Max Richter theme.

Sci fi was a mistake

everything was in place for it to be perfect, then Del Taco walked and shit the whole thing up.

Anyone who thought comedy ninja dwarves were a good idea deserve to take a dip with Gollum

Its not even from Arrival

Villaneuves weakest movie by far, but it was alright

>Aragon was really important in the Lord of rings, how do we add in that rugged champion ranger vibe to a movie about dwarfs?
>We shave one and give him long hair.
>Legolass was also kind of import-
>Shave one, long hair
>Well surly you agree that gimli is going to be a large part of designs?
>What? No we can't have 10 of the same guy on screen, we need to make each one different in a unique way
>Well ok I guess...
>Like this one guy has a big nose and sling shot with a wack hat and like another with a even bigger fake nose and like kung fu weapons, every body should have diffrent weapons!
>Ok yeah.. let me just go out side real quick, I'll be right back...
>Hands off shit heap to Jackson

Let's hope he can make bladerunner the way he wants it. I have a feeling that execs will want to stick third fingers In that one.

DAE feel to intelligent after watching these?

>reddit spacing

3 fingers

dont gapshame here

Shit movie.
Couldn't decide if it wants to be about aliens, or time travel, or a personal drama. Also, a linguist doesn't speak every fucking language, and the movie makes it look like that.
I liked that they were not flashbacks, but flashforwards, neat twist, but that just makes even more plotholes. If they know the future, why do they still do things the same way? On the woman's level, fine, he still gets together with the guy cause they will have a daughter and its going to be nice for some time, I get it. But why do the aliens do the whole shit of arriving everywhere, why not just arrive wherever the woman was, and not shit up earth by a near armageddon by landing near the chinese and shit. If they know that they will need the human's help, why don't they just do it withouth their help, since they already know how they will help them. Iirc they have like 3000 years for that shit, right?

this fucking dumpster fire

You clearly didn't see Maelstrom or Polytechnique.

It's about how when knowing your whole life from start to finish you would find beauty and joy from the smallest bits of moments in a day which you may take now for granted (hence her daughter)

Here's an excerpt from an interview with Villeneuve to maybe clear things up for you:
>"The idea is that the heptapods see life like a [scripted] play. They know what will happen, so they have the choice — either they do it bored to death, or they embrace it and try to be at their best, like an actor on a stage."

So it's about embracing death (instead of denying it like we do) as an essential part of life and appreciating every waking moment of it.
And it's all predetermined, she can't change anything. It's not like she views her future like a youtube video and then continues with her life normally.
There is no other choice available, she never could've changed her decisions because all of the past, present and future decisions are interconnected and experienced at the same time. That's why it's non linear. What you are implying is linear.

I never got this. I haven't seen it, don't plan on seeing it, but it looked like absolute dogshit in the trailers. And in my screenings, this shit always had a trailer, plust the turn off your phone shit was tied into this fucking movie too. IT looked like a CGI borefest blockbuster shit with dopey looking characters. Look at the dude and the girl, jesus christ. Hope it flops

Never understood the hate The Artist gets everywhere

It deserved its Oscars

But in the beginning of the movie, if I remember correctly, we see a flash forward of her with her daughter, and her dying. The ayyliens haven't even arrived yet. Was that bit caused by the ayyliums, or was that just bad pacing then, or was the movie actualyl starting then and then going into a flashback of the events to the film, while having flashforwards?

What I'm saying is, doing anything releated to time travel is really hard. Doing it so it's good is even harder. I get what they were going for, even if you know the destination, the journey is still worth taking. I get it. I just wish they either explained it a bit better inside the movie. Is she seeing time like Dr. Manhattan? Is it constant? Or does she just get random visions? I mean she only figures it out by the end of the movie, and if it was constant from a certain point event ,she would'veknow almost instantly what the heptapods gave her, right?

Another problem is that it creates time-loops.

Incendies and Prisoners are clearly worse than Arrival. The best being Sicario.

>hurr durr look at me i dont even know what a causality loop errr must be plot hole bcoz im too stupid and it should be like bayformers big boom explosions murrica

kek

Like, she knows what to say to the chinese general. She used her visions/non-linear time meme. If she could do that, why didn't she, say, pool a bunch of money to the research of her daughter's macguffin disease? IF she can see the future, why doesn't she join the research team itself, and then she would know how the research goes, could even help the research by abusing the time loop shit, like when she did it with the general. If she can't do this, for reasons, the movie should've explained it that no it doesn't work like that. If you introduce a story element like this, but don't explain the rules, it just feels like a cheap asspull.

If it wasn't obvious from my grammar, not even from an english speaking country, nice assumptions about michael bay tho famalama, my mistake, next time I will tip my fedora when I go to the movies so my fellow intellectuals will know that yes I know basic sci-fi tropes

just reed or see slaughterhouse 5 you pleb they spell it out for you.
pro tip its about living life and enjoying the good instead of focusing on the bad.

>pro tip its about living life and enjoying the good instead of focusing on the bad.

He's too autistic to understand.

>reed
>literally doesn't have the reading comprehension to see that I already understand the hurr the journey beats the destination predestination is fun if you enjoy the good bits as much as you can

stay mad, I bet you can't wait for the next "intellectual" sci-fi so you can stroke yourself while feeling smart for getting the most basic shit that has been re-used from 50's pulp sci-fi novels

because thats how is suppose to happen retard, hurr der why is not different is a retarded argument for whats happening in the movie.
Im not mad, you still just dont get it. Its like destine.

that scene when forest whitaker meets amy adams for the first time.

show me the more dumbest scene in cinematography ever.

protip: nie dacie kurwa rady

Who said it's not basic? Who said anything pretending like it's "smart"?
It's a pretty straightforward film, you just imply that it's "2deep4u" for some reason while the director basically holds your hand through the whole narrative.

>how is suppose to happen
>retard
Step your insult game up.

Just because it's supposed to happen, it doesn't mean it should. Her fucking daughter will die. Granted, it's not like she dies in an accident, that would be too easy to solve, the disease is harder to solve. But she could still try. Like it should've explained that no matter what she does, it will happen. If they do that, I have no complaints, because they tie up that loose end. But they don't.
>I get to enjoy 12 years with my daughter and then she will die and I did nothing to prevent it :^)
Retarded. The idea itself is neat, but could've been done better. A good example, and I hate to say this, is fucking Dr.Manhattan. He has similiar time perception, but one, in the movie it's a plot element that he can't see farther ahead after a point, and two, it's another plot element that he's a jaded asshole who doesn't care about stopping bad shit from happening

That's my point. Barebones, it's a simple as fuck story, even if you know what will happen, it's still worth doing things, just to experience them. But they do it through this non-linear time perception shit, which is a complex tool, that has a myriad of possible uses, but they don't do anything with it. Have a scene at the end where he explains to the love interest, or an inner monologue that she sees time in a different way, and she knows what will happen, and she's fine with that, she doesn't want to change it because she's scared of the unknown, or is fine with how things with turn out, something.

Instead it's left blank. Either that's lazy writing, or an attempt at 2deep4u ending. Bottom line, if you have a story element concerning time travel, time and causality loops, or seeing the future, you better cover all your bases and explain that shit, so it doesn't have plotholes and loose ends.

>Have a scene at the end where he explains to the love interest, or an inner monologue that she sees time in a different way, and she knows what will happen, and she's fine with that, she doesn't want to change it because she's scared of the unknown, or is fine with how things with turn out, something

But that would be literal empty exposition, all of those points are clear by the movie already. THAT would be lazy as fuck writing, and the movie has already quite a lot of exposition to begin with.
All time travel films (or concepts in general) have casuality loops and paradoxes, no amount of lazy exposition can change that.