Why BBC documentaries are much better than US documentaries?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EvKJcxa8x_g
youtube.com/watch?v=qsAUKRbaZ9E
youtu.be/h13b7TaUddA
m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dsp9bMQz7lc
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Natural_World_episodes
youtube.com/watch?v=2Dc74Oao9kQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Gtp51eZkwoI
youtube.com/watch?v=PKUekkAnlZ8
streamable.com/5ow0g
youtube.com/watch?v=79u11C6JmEw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Because US understands the term BBC differently if you know what I mean.

Eternal insta-btfo reminder
Also
>little spider
>should've prayed

Because lion fucking shits.

>inb4 pasta

I'm not sure about that.

Those are fine US documentaries:
>Hookers at the Point
>American Pimp
>Pimps Up, Ho's Down

Making them for two separate audiences. Although my dad will watch the Planet series box sets just as happily as he'll watch american guitar rift t-rex sfx beetle documentary so theres that.

in the US, anti-intellectualism has a substantial constituency
'knowing things is for faggots' is the sentiment

that said, there's one area where BBC documentaries often fall short of NatGeo
When it comes to animals hunting other animals, I want to see the moments of capture and death. BBC often doesn't show the crucial moments.
I want to see the fucking jaguar kill it's prey after the build up of the hunt!

Why didn't they stick with Sigourney Weaver? Didn't she do blue planet? Her voice at least is half decent for documentaries.

anyone have the UK-US copy pasta. I liked the longbow comparison the best

American documbetaeoee are biased as shit. Only in America would documentary like Bowling for Columbine or Aradise lost would be taken seriously.

>UK docus
thoughtfully presented facts with incedicle shots of nature
>US docus
WILL THE BURGER SURVIVE THE HYENAS??? DADADAAAAA FIND OUT ON THE NEXT EPISODE OF MC DONALD'S EXPLORING OUR 3000 YEARS OLD EARTH!!! BLESS JESUS!!!!

>I want to see the fucking jaguar kill it's prey after the build up of the hunt!

BBC's The Hunt was pretty good.

I think people that watch British documentary work will put up with most American work but be slightly annoyed but will do it for the animal footage.
Where as the people that can only watch American-shit think the British stuff is boring.

here you go

found it

>British TV
youtube.com/watch?v=EvKJcxa8x_g

>Doesn't baby the viewer
>recognizes that viewers can breathe through their nostrils
>No need for constant background music and dramatic editing
>American "Television"
youtube.com/watch?v=qsAUKRbaZ9E

>IM YOUR HOST DICK RICHARDS AND THIS IS EXTREME HISTORY
>WOAHHHHH DUUUUDE
>OMG
>RADICAAAAAALLL
>EYE OF THE TIGER INTENSIFIES /// INCEPTION NOISE
>LETS GET BACK TO THE ANALYSIS LAB AND SEE SOME COOL 3D EFFECTS TO ILLUSTRATE WHAT WE'RE TALKIGN ABOUT INCASE YOU HAD TROUBLE IMAGINING IN YOUR MONGOLOID TESTTUBE BRAIN SINCE YOUR PINEAL GLAND IS CLOGGED WITH FLOURIDE AND HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP

Epic

Top 5 pasta for me. I love it

I watched an american documentary the other day and they kept taking 5 minutes after every break to recap what happed before the break it was mind numbing. There was also double the amount of these moments than there were adverts in britain so I can only imagine the amount of adverts Americans have to put up with.

Why was Planet Earth 2 such a massive disappointment bros?

It wasn't.

youtu.be/h13b7TaUddA

PLANET EARTH 3 FUCKING WHHEEN

that's it.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dsp9bMQz7lc

>crickets sound like donkeys

What is wrong with american editing, do they have zero attention span?

BBC's NHU is the largest production house in the world dedicated solely to natural history, makes hundreds of hours of new content ever year. One underrated show of theirs is Natural World - consistently excellent episodes ever single year.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Natural_World_episodes

Except PBS documentaries by Nature, Nova, and Frontline are superior in every way.

Kek, good one.

What you guys are complaining about and referring to as U.S. documentaries, no one in the U.S. would refer to as a documentary.

>tfw when a documentary series has one of the best soundtracks of the decade.

youtube.com/watch?v=2Dc74Oao9kQ

The entire point is to meme

Not really. Only stuff like Ken Burns' Civil War stands on the same level as some of the best BBC produced programmes.

Planet earth in HD was a revelation. I had tears in the corners of my eyes after the opening shots.

False,BBC horizon is superior in every way.

youtube.com/watch?v=Gtp51eZkwoI

Because David Attenborough

Because the BBC is publicly funded just like PBS which also produces quality documentaries other networks like Discovery and History Channel are just trying to bring in ratings so their "documentaries" are filled with sensationalist bullshit for mouthbreathers.

This. Although the BBC have been diversifying their selection of voice actors recently. Jorah Mormont did the narration recently on some documentary about the cruise ship the Queen Mary 2.

At least it tried

Humanity didn't deserve something as great as Planet Earth II.

Is Life worth a watch?

Americans don't pay their tv licenses

It did get away, just the camera makes the bear look closer than what it is.

The past 20 or so seasons have been disappointing

I bet that scene would look pretty good in 3D

american docs make to much use of 'dun dun dun' music and commercial breaks like 'WILL THEY SURVIVE?' even though its a historical event and you know the answer. things that don't need to be dumbed down always are too. i dont need an example comparing space-time to a pool or some shit.

all around brit docs are just less insulting and more informative

I'm British and I actually prefer the America version, I feel like there's a certain level of self awareness to it. It's intentionally over the top. It's educational but also entertaining in a "so over the top it's funny" kind of way.

Of course they do, it's included in their taxes, like most of the rest of the world

more hunting gifs

more hunting gifs

To be fair the first one is for youtube, not broadcast television

David Attenborough

America has brave wilderness, that's pretty good.

youtube.com/watch?v=PKUekkAnlZ8

Pretty sure they were just shooting to hit certain ranges at that time, not a bullseye target thats so close to the archer like this guy is doing.

the 'a bow is like a big spring made of wood' line made me think Americans really are fucking stupid

This is beyond comfy.

Holy shit that's a lot of content

>tfw seen pretty much every Attenborough and and read his book about the making of them
>tfw will never have his life

Well since we've entered the second-half of 2017, that means it shouldn't be too long until Blue Planet II, which is going to be docu-kino on another level.

That's just a selection of it, not every single programme they've made.

BBC nature documentaries narrated by David Attenborough are the best thing you can watch.

It's the purest form of drama, the animals aren't acting, and they are really fighting to survive.

One of the best examples is this giraffe fight from the BBC documentary named Africa.

streamable.com/5ow0g

>The polar bear on the cliff

Why did they even think of replacing Attenborough? He has one of the best narration voices ever.

youtube.com/watch?v=79u11C6JmEw
You can't make thi shit up

Love how Attenborough is always associated with the best ones. Hopefully BBC can pump out more with him before he gets too old.

Because the US doesn't have that sweet, sweet TV license money to spend on unprofitable nature documentaries.

Isntnit the Velociraptor sound effect from Jurassic Park?

Reminds me of sad dogs

Getting old and he won't be around forever, so they have to find someone who can pick up his mantle

I'm talking about the American releases where they replaced Attenborough's narrations with someone else.

This. But he's 91 years old and probably going to die soon. Life in the undergrowth is his best work.

I laugh everytime

burgers are too stupid to understand british accent

I can see him making it to 100 years old. Whether he'll be working up until then I doubt it. His ship will be ready soon enough.

>before he gets too old

Crazy how his still working despite age.

>BBC
>Let's observe these animals in their natural habitats and maybe give some insights on their habits

>US version
>Holy F**K, you wouldn't believe THIS SERIAL KILLER *slowmo fight* LIVES IN YOUR GARDEN *rock music intensifies*

I wondered how they've had AVARA LUONTO on tv every week since 1987 and it always has a BBC logo in the end. This explains it.

As an American, I've seen so much media from Britain that I barely even notice anymore. It's not a big enough deal where I even register that I'm watching a BBC documentary or shoe from the UK

>watch american documentary on bugs
>monkey screeching sounds starts playing

>THE BOW IS BASICALLY A BIG SPRING MADE OF WOOD

Planet Earth is literally this though.

Wow this thread is quite the circle-jerk. What else can you expect during Sup Forums's faggot hours?

I did not know that they did that

Thinking of the pasty white cuck who made this post makes me laugh

It wasn't. It was amazing.

I watched the first episode at the tail end of an acid trip and I both laughed and cried. It was great.

Watch the PBS ones.

If you're watching the stuff that Discovery shits out then it's your own fault.

Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom was maximum comfy.

While BBC nature docs appear superior in style, in substance they have been declining in their reliance on 'relate-able narratives' and story-heavy based material which is overly sentimental. Over use of sound effects and anthropomorphised tropes are leaking in to draw in the pleb audience who need everything to be like a feature film with a protagonist and villain, and where the animal you're rooting for always survives.

That on top of the constant beating over the head about global warming and climate change, instilling a constant sense of shame in the viewer that humans are ruining the environments of these animals.

BBC programming is full of subtle demoralisation propaganda and left wing sentimentalism. They're just excellent at masking it as objective documentation.

>tl;dr BBC docs are more sinister than some dumb American over edited nature flick

It's the accent. I can't stand the monologues in American documentaries for this reason. The british accent was made for kino documentaries

He'll be fine

>everything is muh left wing jewish communist bolshevik cuckold reddit nu-male conspiracy

It's one thing to complain about the americanization of planet earth 2 with all its anthropomorphised stories and another to see conspirators and agendas at every turn. How do you make it through the day, I wonder.

Literally every episode of Planet Earth 2 mentions global warming or climate change. What ever happened to just showing a documentary about animals without a political overtone?

Also in Planet Earth 2 there is a plot-line where a big black horse cucks a while male horse and takes all his mares from him. Pretty funny if not intentional.