Christopher Nolan criticizes Netflix's digital distribution model for movies

>“Netflix has a bizarre aversion to supporting theatrical films,” Nolan said in an interview this week. “They have this mindless policy of everything having to be simultaneously streamed and released, which is obviously an untenable model for theatrical presentation. So they’re not even getting in the game, and I think they’re missing a huge opportunity.”

>“I think the investment that Netflix is putting into interesting filmmakers and interesting projects would be more admirable if it weren’t being used as some kind of bizarre leverage against shutting down theaters,” he said. “It’s so pointless. I don’t really get it.”

NETFLIX BTFO

indiewire.com/2017/07/christopher-nolan-interview-dunkirk-netflix-1201857101/

Other urls found in this thread:

nolanfans.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Well...8 tracks had their time. So did Walkmans...so did the dodo.

So do theaters.

FUCK OFF.

See this is what new fags believe. They are pleb scum that have no appreciation for film or theatre going experience.

he is not wrong though. people will get progressively lazy to get out of sofa to see something that they can see it on their own tv for so much cheaper. I haven't been in cinema for years since I bought a decent projector

I guess that's true. It's a more nuanced criticism of netflix than some offers at least.
It's obviously not going away, so adapt.

Based Nolan will save us from fake cinema.

>theatre going experience
Yes being surrounded by noisy niggers, a horde of Mexican kids running wild and brainless elderly women who need everything explained to them is so great

It's weird that despite being such a progressive filmmaker, Nolan is so opposed to progress.

Are American cinemas really like this?
British cinemas nobody makes a fucking noise, and if sometihng funny happens and you laugh that shit ain't sustained

>A fucking Tetris movie trilogy gets greenlit with a $80 million budget while Scorsese struggles get budget for his next film
>Netflix out of all fucking people helps him

You can't put all the blame on Netflix the studios are at fault too

>Being a fucking a Luddite.

I will agree with you only when small children are banned from all showings after 5PM, people who loudly talk during the film are banned from the theatre forever, and people who text during the feature are burned at the stake.

>Nolan making kino in an age of ECUs and superhero shit
>Trying to encourage Netflix to release their films theatrically to help in the battle against medicore shit

Is any other film maker working harder to save cinema?

I can't replicate the theater screen and sound. If theaters went away I would quit film.

>being so poor you have to rely on a theater to watch a movie
who here /dedicatedmovieroomintheirhome/??

American minorities are really like this. Go to a theatre in a white area, and you won't have this problem.

BASED NOLAN

I like watching films at the cinema but the problem here (Estonia) is people unable to put their phones away. I swear to god, every fucking time there are a bunch of hipster dickheads who need to check their Facebook and Instagram. Now I just wait until the film is about to be taken off so there are maybe a handful of people at the showing.

>old guy doesn't understand new technology

news at 11

our guy

>I think the investment that Netflix is putting into interesting filmmakers and interesting projects would be more admirable if it weren’t being used as some kind of bizarre leverage against shutting down theaters

Yeah fuck Netflix for not funding "The Emoji Movie" and "Battleship" and "Transgenders 10: Darkness Revengence" We'll see how much he praises the traditional model when his movie bombs because the masses want capeshit not WWII silent movies

Hi pol

NETFLIX BTFO AND BANKRUPT
BRAVONOLAN

Have fun throwing your money to the theater kikes while the rest of us stream and download. kek, fucking faggot.

young white teens are almost as bad as niggers. they constantly text and talk loudly during the movie. if people weren't so awful these days people would go to see movies on the big screen more instead of waiting to watch it at home.

>implying normies don't love Nolan
>implying Dunkirk won't make millions
>implying Nolan is fighting for Netflix to fund shit films, and not for them to release the good stuff they fund in theatres

you are about 50 different kinds of retarded and should cease to post until you can comprehend simple sentences.

Nolan owns his own film company so the Jews can't mess with his shit like they do with most other big films, so I take what he says more seriously desu. He's got a point.

Context?

post photo of your "movie room" with timestamp or fuck off

>Are American cinemas really like this?
Not really, no.

Beasts of No Nation >>>> Dunkuck

You know it's fucking true. Nolan is a hack.

>Netflix is a colossus
>could have 2 or 3 theatrical releases every year for a test and it wouldn't be a problem to them
>nope
>we want everything at once and fuck you

this is mtv movie awards 2002 right?

TV movies will always be inferior to something that had a theatrical release

Why do we hate this guy again

My point is that Netflix isn't killing theaters. He literally said they're using their funding to back projects that shut down theaters. Established studios that do release movies are killing theaters. Along with big theater chains. He's clearly not thinking about what he's saying and is just rambling about muh new technology is going to end everything.

>Are American cinemas really like this?

If there is even one nigger in the theater, they will loudly talk at the movie like they think the characters will listen to them.

If there is two or more, they compete to be heard by the magic moving pictures first, and end up yelling and screaming.

This movie was Kino and so will Dunkirk.
Only good thing about netflix is them releasing all the episodes simultaneously.

Nolan has ruined cinema and the internet. What a hypocritical hack.

>nolanfans.com/

Contrarianism and memes.

He's very well liked on Reddit, so...

I admire his dedication to using film, but he's a pleb if he can't see that every year more people are preferring to watch stuff at home, and not at a noisy, dirty theater.

(((Netflix))) wants to make money. That's all it comes down to.

Yes you can.

Get a CRT projector with an HDMI card and a quality surround setup, then buy some theater style seats, a popcorn machine and butter flavored oil, and a 2 liter of coke brand diabetes liquid.
Make your theater area nice and dark, crank up the AC to "Santa's Wine Cellar" invite a local nigger to scream at the characters, kidnap an infant and put it in an itchy sweater so it starts crying, pour some honey on the floor, and have an arduino set to randomly change the volume levels on your sound, while a carousel slowly shifts the image to the right of the projector at a rate of about 1mm every 10 minutes.

voila, pure kino theater experience!

the dodo went extinct because it was delicious, how does that fit into your analogy?

Eh. I prefer theaters unless it's a movie with "laughs" in which case I want to murder everyone in the place.

It's just a nice experience. I simply think it's too expensive for people these days to do it frequently.

what kind of hell theaters are you people going to

It will be so satisfying to eventually see Nolan making a film for Amazon and shooting it on digital Alexa 65. He will probably kill himself after the shoot.

Pic related: a flick shot on Alexa 65

They will be sent to the popcorn mines.

The ones 95% of the population goes to.
maybe you understand now why Netflix is doing so well, you sheltered fuck.

a business wants to make money. my god let's blame it on the jews.

by that time movies are only being played on the smallest screens though

>seeing kino in a low bitrate streaming version instead of on 70mm celluloid like a true kino proveyer would

>Be American
>land of the free
>not free to enjoy my latest kino on the largest screen possible with fantastic, loud surround sound because Americans have no common decency

Netflix just puts its only good original movie in theaters for a limited release to qualify for the Academy Awards. The company is so in vain that they want a award for a feature.

Expect for The Irishman to be only in theaters in New York and LA and the rest of us have to watch it on our TVs instead on the big screen.

>proveyer

Way to totally miss his point, retard. Do you have the reading comprehension of the fish?
(You)

>theatre going experience.

You mean a screeching nigger in the seat behind you who thinks if he yells loud enough the characters in the movie can hear him?

>"DON OPEN DA DOH! DON OPEN DA DOH! AW SHEEIT GURL I TOLL YOO NAW TA OPEN DA DOH! DAAYUMN!"

It seems Americans really have it rough when it comes to theatre experiences.

Oh dude it's horrible. Unless you live in a small white town in America don't even bother going. Movie theaters are a fucking joke here.

>Cinema in England
>total silence
>anybody dares make any noise
>entire theatre silently shame stares them until they leave

i thought everyone knew to go to suburbia's cineplexes or le special independent theaters that serve wine coolers and have $30 ticket fees

It's pretty bad, yeah.

If you want to be able to hear the movie, you have to pay to go to one of the "upscale" theaters that niggers can't afford, like an Imax or one of those "serves you dinner while you watch the flick" places.

If the ticket costs $10 or less, the theater will be flooded with niggers and you won't be able to hear anything because of all their hooting and hollering.

If you're watching the kind of movie that attracts this audience you probably deserve this experience.

>We talked about Dunkirk and he went through the usual marketing talk. He didn't seem to be putting too much effort in, like he already knew it was in the bag.
>Then he leaned forward, made a gesture with his hand like he was stroking a beard that he didn't have.
>"You know Netflix?"
>"Sure." I said, puzzled.
>"I'm fine with the flix part, I mean I'm a director, but it's the other part that gets to me."
>"The net?"
>"THE NET."
>"What's wrong with th..."
>"Think about it. N - E - T. It's like J - E - W. You don't get to be where I am in the flix business without coming into contact with them."
>"The Jews?" I asked.
>"Keep it down." He whispered.

True story.

>Is any other film maker working harder to save cinema?

Someone please explain 'leverage against shutting down theaters'.
I'm not a native speaker.
To me that sounds like Netflix wants to keep theaters in business.

also if you're only going at night

>not always going in the early afternoon like a true patrician

American theatres

I got a refund one time because 4 niggers kept screaming, whooping and hollering over each other. The manager didn't have the balls to throw them out so he just refunded my ticket

But what about Robert?

Do you? Netflix isn't killing the theater experience. Theaters and big studios are. Like the ones funding his projects. Won't speak out against those though.

It means netflix is buying up quality films that retarded studios won't touch (which he thinks is good) but they won't release them in cinemas, keeping them exclusive to netflix and netflix customers, thus making less people go to the theatre because they are at home watching netflix.

>Implying piracy is good

>and if sometihng funny happens and you laugh that shit ain't sustained
So basically like watching at home then.

Go Netflix!

>all these fatties blaming darkies
Newsflash, fags: it's all of you. I live in a resort town in England and the piece of shit theatre there has an audience that is silent as a churchmouse even though it's 90% toddlers... EXCEPT on the ONE weekend a year when they give discounts to overseas visitors, in which case you can hear the obvious American (and for some reason New Zealand) accents hooting and hollering at the screen like you're attending a fucking lynching.

>nolan
toppelelek

who gives a shit, jodorowsky said the same thing about your shitty hollywood movies

Delusional britcuck rambling.

I get it, I'm asking about the phrasing 'against shutting down'. Seems like a double negative. 'Leverage against theatres' makes more sense to me.

I watched Gravity in the cinema and it was a fucking fantastic experience. I watched it again on a television and it lost 90% of the experience revealling a mediocre film. Obviously this speaks more to the quality of the film but at the same time some films need to be seen on the biggest fuck off screen.

Yeah, I've only ever done that once in my life. Half the theater had to walk out because the niggers were so loud and distracting no one could even hear the dialogue. Lots of people were yelling at them to shut the fuck up, but of course they did that nigger thing where they got all aggressive with "WHat you say mugga fugga! You steppin mugga fugga you steppin? I see you owside mugga fugga yeah mugga fugga you gun git jacked mugga fugga unf unf mugga fugga muh dick muh dick!"

Never went back to that theater again. Only see maybe 2 or 3 films a year in the theater, but now I always go to the more expensive one uptown just so there won't be any niggers.

Last time I went to the movies there was an entire family line of spics in the first line of the seats and one of them loudly translated everything in the movie to his elderly grandma.

oh sorry, leverage against theatres doesn't mean against shutting down! If I have leverage over you it means I have power or an advantage over you, so Netflix has these quality films that theatres don't, thus an advantage over them which he states will supposedly help kill cinemas

Where I live in London the cinemas are also full of niggers and chavs ruining the film for everyone else

Yeah, I don't disagree with Nolan in theory, but it only works if the theaters aren't overrun by nogs and others who text and talk. A nice theater experience with a great film is awesome. Wish the theaters would kick people out more for that shit.

G-d has spoken.

Him and Tarantino are probably probably biggest advocates for film production and theater distribution left.

Shooting on film is retarded. It adds hundreds of thousands of dollars to the budget and adds production delays and restrictions and risks that don't make sense when we're at a point where the difference in picture is negligible. They're knowingly fighting a losing battle on that front.

But theatrical distribution is a noble cause, and theaters will likely always be around to some extent.

I can't help but feel you deserve it for living in London. Where abouts in Landaan taaaahn you from? we talking proper Phil Mitchell?

/thread

who here /hassheetsontheirbed/

>they did that nigger thing where they got all aggressive with "WHat you say mugga fugga! You steppin mugga fugga you steppin? I see you owside mugga fugga yeah mugga fugga you gun git jacked mugga fugga unf unf mugga fugga muh dick muh dick!"

Why do black people always, ALWAYS resort to screaming "MAH DICK!" in every argument? It's like clockwork. As soon as they see they're losing a discussion or things aren't going their way, the jump directly to "MAH DICK! MAH DICK!" and then waddle off. It is one of the most consistent things about black people. It must be instinctual.

>bizarre aversion

I know, right?!?

So weird that an internet streaming service only supports movies released in online streaming services!!

Boggles the mind, really.

Nepotism: The Director

It's kind of like how all americans resort to whipping out their concealed carry and firing blindly in the air while yeehawing about their freedoms and constitutions

>Be Netflix
>Release kino film that we know we have an audience for in theatres
>make millions
>exclusively release it on Netflix instead of DVD
>still making bank on our online streaming service

What stuff are they funding that would actually benefit from being shown in theaters though? I thought the Netflix movies were all romantic comedies and shit like that.

About black people and their behavior in movie theaters. I think I can explain.

You ever been to a black church or seen footage from a black church? They're constantly screaming and dancing and hollering, standing on the benches and jumping up and down. Whenever the pastor says something they have to yell affirmations back at him like "TRUE DAT!" and "MM HMM!"

That's the way black people are raised to act in a CHURCH. Is it a mystery they can't behave themselves in a fucking movie theater?

Why would they do that first thing where some of the profits aren't theirs?

>Be Netflix
>Release production in own streaming service
>Profit

I like this model better. Seems more streamlined.

Respect the process, dude.
Easier and cheaper =/= better.

If people really liked theaters so much, studios allowing streaming of their movies as soon as they're released would be a viable option for them.

Turns out most people don't like paying way too much money for tickets and concessions only to be annoyed by distracting randos talking amd texting in theater during a movie that might suck ass.