What did he mean by this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=x1rTglvW3ZI
youtube.com/watch?v=ABcEKe7z6_I
youtube.com/watch?v=H-K2DZojWi0
youtube.com/watch?v=5e7Fha9e6q4
youtube.com/watch?v=jCaxKq5KFQM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Dave's show on July 28 was an hour-long disaster: The opening act tested new sound effects, all of which bombed. Next was the Top Ten list, which wasn't ready. Then Myrtle Young, the Potato Chip lady. Then an awkward interview with Ally Sheedy, promoting her film "Maid to Order." Then an attempted call to James "The Drifter" Baggett, but Dave got an airport by mistake. The Top Ten still wasn't ready.

By this point Dave was already on edge from the screw-ups and odd guests. Then came Glover. From a 1992 broadcast of NPR's "All Things Considered" in which movie director Trent Harris explained how his new feature film, "Ruben and Ed," came to be:

"[Glover] said, 'Come on over to my place. I've got something I want to show you.' So I go over to the place he lives in Hollywood. It's a big tower with an elevator in it, so I pushed the elevator button, and I'm waiting in the lobby and the doors open up, and this creature steps out of the elevator in striped bellbottoms, platform shoes, strange hair, double-knit tight polyester shirt, thick glasses, and then he started to giggle, and I realized that it was Crispin and he said, 'Wouldn't it be funny to do a film about this character. Wouldn't he be a great character to write a movie about?' And I said, 'No.' I mean, it's a frightening image to see Rubin Farr for the first time. But then this -- he was invited to go on the David Letterman show, and he said, 'Wouldn't it be interesting if I went on as Rubin Farr?' And I said, 'No.'"

But Glover went ahead and appeared on "Late Night" as Rubin Farr, the character he'd later play in Harris's film. And what was Harris's first reaction to seeing Glover on with Dave? "I literally had to get in the closet. I started to watch the thing, and then I found myself standing up on the couch going, 'No, no, no,' and then I got in the closet and closed the door, hoping that somehow it would stop."

Dave was not amused. After all that had preceded Glover's appearance that night, his mood had already darkened, and Glover's character was first met with bemusement but then disdain, the kick the final straw.

After Glover's segment, Dave discussed the mess with Paul, asked again for the Top Ten (still not ready), and called James again, this time successfully. By the end of the show, Dave thanked his guests, Glover's name conspicuously absent.

There is a podcast with "Morty" Letterman's producer at the time out on the interwebs, that verifies that they had no clue what Crispin was up to that night. After Dave walked off and they went to commercial, Morty kicked Crispin out, while Crispin pleaded "Andy Kaufman, man. Andy Kaufman!" And Morty told him that Andy, Dave, and the writing staff worked on his bits weeks, sometimes months, before he made his appearances, and Dave really, really hates surprises.

Is that you, john wayne?

Did we ever figure out what it is and how it is done?

rubin farr also makes an appearance in crispin's video for clowny clown clown

youtube.com/watch?v=x1rTglvW3ZI

youtube.com/watch?v=ABcEKe7z6_I

>untitled project

what is this??

NIGGERVILLE

Is that Raziel?

This really is something to behold. Even Tim and Eric couldn't make something this inept and bizarre and off putting.

>Crispin pleaded "Andy Kaufman, man. Andy Kaufman!"

the song was co-written by the band Barnes and Barnes, who featured bill mumy(lost n space, babylon 5)

Barnes and Barnes had a monr hit id the US in the early 80s with the song Fish Heads, the video of which was directed by Bill Paxton

youtube.com/watch?v=H-K2DZojWi0

Darth Malak?

he was fucked up on acid.

He's always fucked up on acid
youtube.com/watch?v=5e7Fha9e6q4

youtube.com/watch?v=jCaxKq5KFQM

Letterman is one of the few people I've seen on television who cannot hide their assholeness. At all.

He was completely justified in that situation. Plus that's what made him great. Jimmy Fallon is too nice. Dave was genuine and never hid his disdain if a guest wasn't interesting to him.

kain refused the sacrifice

Based Crispin

Johnny Carson did it better.

I prefer Letterman. Underneath his gruff exterior he actually has a heart. Carson just seemed like a genuinely mean-spirited, miserable man.

WHAT IS IT
WHERE IS IT
HOW WILL IT AFFECT ME

FUCK THAT SHIT
I NEED THAT SHIT'S BOUND TO BE THE DEATH OF ME
FUCK BUYING IT I'M TAKING IT AND SHARING IT WITH NOBODY