Jumping on points are also reflected in brand new trade dress...

>Jumping on points are also reflected in brand new trade dress. Jumping on points for continuing titles will be labeled with bright red corner box with a #1 signifying the first part of a new story and the story arc title. Similar to what we had done a few years ago with a variety of continuing titles. Some folks loved it, some folks hated it, but it definitely sent a clear message!

There are people that will defend putting #1's on non #1issues

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/wfMd3
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

HA HA TIME FOR CAPTAIN MARVEL #1

Those big #1's are smaller than those slapped on key All-New Marvel NOW! continuing titles (released a few years ago).

They shouldn't literally put "#1" but a "part 1" designation makes sense so you don't have to go on your phone or research before you go to the LCS to figure out how many parts the current arc has out.

>better than relaunching
>casuals can look at the arc number and not. R confused where to start
>Marvels done it before
>Dc's done it a few times like on Aquaman with Maelstorm

Yeah it's fine other than looking ugly

>Marvel’s Senior VP – Sales David Gabriel has been talking to Diamond Comic Distributors’ retailer site about upcoming titles and the Marvel NOW! Previews and catalogue.
>More new titles to be announced soon (that are not in the preview magazine)
Because Diamond's retailer website is not for the general public I'll post the sauce of that and OP: archive.is/wfMd3

Jesus Christ Darkhorse! Slapping a #1 on every new Hellboy story arc

Hellboy started as a series of minis and more-or-less stays so even today

At least those are miniseries.

OP's picture is issue #13 of an ongoing.

wow kamala has a big ol shnoz...

... so shes a jewish arab? dies she hate herself or...??

The Hellboy style has always been the best method for years and I'm glad Marvel is incorporating it in a way. An issues place in a story arc is more important and more customer friendly than it's place in the volume. A new reader will feel more comfortable picking up part 1 of 4 of Story Arc X than issue #468 of volume 4.

>One X-Men (To imply we still love the X-Men and the Inhumans aren't going to replace them)
>One Hulk (To make a bunch of Hulk jokes at an unspecified date)
>One black (To fulfill part of our diversity quota, and also he's a Spider-Man)
>One Green Lantern (To pretend that we care about Cosmic)
>One female (To display our love for Delicious Brown)
>One robot (To show the world that even an android can cry)

Yeah, this is a good idea. Of course some people will complain about anything.

I've been reading comics for decades, and issue numbers have never been a problem for me. However, I've met many new readers over the years, and things have changed. They want a "jumping on point" and they feel like they've "missed out" if they're not starting at a #1. Look at how people watch tv shows now too, they want to start at the beginning. Hell, I've seen people here ask if they should start reading Spider-Man "from the beginning" when they don't realize that's 50 years of comics to read!

I haven't been keeping up with X-Men for years
is that a young Cyclops?

yeah some time travel shit

I think in the age of the internet marketing has become more and more transparent, to millennials in particular.
So the obsession has become to point out marketing ploys whenever they're present or not, even if they're obvious and malignant.

Of course #1s are to get new readers, I'm not damaged by it in anyway because most of them are at the start of new arcs which happens regardless.
Marvel having so many #1s is funny, but it doesn't really break anything typically. The most damaging thing that came out of it was the Secret Wars release schedule fucking everything up and I think they damaged their readership with that.

yep. all of the o5 have teenage versions in 616 now.

>Buy Atlas
>Look up where Pakistan is
>Delete you post

What I always found more confusing than anything was the numbering on the trades. When you have 3 Captain Marvel series, all with her wearing the same costume, all with volumes 1-2 and nothing else, it becomes very confusing to know which to read first.

That and it also just doesn't look good on a shelf; I prefer, at least aesthetically, to see an unbroken row of matching book spines. Just looks nice.

Ms. Marvel and Hawkeye have been keeping the trades numbering consistent even after the relaunches, and I thank them for that. Hopefully Marvel will start doing that with more of their books.

True, I think this is partly why I've become more keen to wait for bigger collections now.
It pays off with stuff like Ms Marvel since it has deluxe editions and now a volume 1 omnibus announced.

>implying that's not giving a shifty reason to put number 1 everywhere

I think a solution already exists for these stupid little continuity dilemmas. Take, for example, the Buffy series from Dark Horse. They've been running "seasons" for years and years, some being longer than others.

I dunno. Maybe "season" feels too much like TV media, but whatever word you use -- season, or series or ... cour -- there's a definitive break between the previous narrative arc and the next, not just in terms of the story covered, but more importantly regarding the direction the whole universe is heading.

It works for comics because sometimes a new creative team comes in but the direction of the narrative remains the same . . . and sometimes it doesn't. Other times, as with the Big 2, there are annual "events" that (purportedly) shake things up.

You know the last marvel now went 25+ issues before starting a #1 jumping on point. This is shit.