What are Sup Forums's opinions on preacher? It's one of my favorite comics

What are Sup Forums's opinions on preacher? It's one of my favorite comics.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Gt4V_YgU95g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Current Sup Forums hates it and considers it edgy trash. I liked it enough, it was funny, and the arc where he's back with his crazy family at the farm was really good.

i think it's a soap box for defeatism.

It's very much a product of its time in the 90s but it's still very enjoyable and it's a good exploration on what it is to be an American or what the American spirit actually is.

It has far more to say about American exceptionalism (and it's a surprisingly kind view) than it has anything to say about God or religion.

Like a lot of Ennis' works, a pretty decent story buried under tons of edginess.

Not that there's anything inherently wrong with edginess mind you, but you've gotta be willing to put up with it. And a lot of people aren't.

Do they? They hate preacher but they eat up the trash currently on offer from Marvel and Dc, what the fuck?

It's not even that edgy, really.... It's pretty heartfelt poignant beneath all the sex and violence. It's genuinely funny too, unlike all the "lol so random" shite that usually constitutes humour in comics nowadays.

My favorite issues were the bottle issues, where it's almost completely divorced from the current narrative and just does something fun.

The issue with Jesse driving home at night is one of my favorites, and the issue with cassidy and the other vampire is great too.

That was great, Cassidy did nothing wrong.

I thought it was really great when I was 16 and into edgy shit. I re read it at 25 and realized it wasn't so great.

Ennis' second place best comic

What's his first? Punisher max?

I know you think you sound really mature and adult with a post like this, but you're kind of just outing yourself as a 20 something basement dweller.

I like it. It's not great, but it's a good read.
In typical Ennis fashion there's a lot of stuff that seems to be there just to seem shocking or like lame attempts at crude humor. However, there are some really good and touching parts that pop up from time to time and those parts makes it worth reading.

He's gotta mean Hitman

Anyone mind explaining this title conotations for me? I only have polish version on my computer and it roughly translates to "If I knew a road, I'd come back home". I'd really like to know if it was used anywhere else, like in a song, or as a book title. It just resonates with me.

I still enjoy it.
Shame about the show.
>ywn hear any of the Devil's best lines on Sup Forums

I have the comic right here beside me, the polish translation is a little off, in the english version it says: "If I knew the way, I'd go back home." Which is a lyric from an Elvis Presley song:

youtube.com/watch?v=Gt4V_YgU95g

Yep, shame they fucked up Jesse's backstory and made it more generic in the process.

Shame Tulip is really unlikeable now (not because she's black, that's fine by me, but because she has that "bad bitch" attitude now that I can't stand.)

They fucked up Jesse's characterization to, he was also more likeable in the comic.

Cassidy was well cast though.

Young Mel gibson would have been the perfect Jesse Custer, shame we can't kidnap him from the past and make him act in an adaptation of a comic that wasn't even written then.

Ennis always names his titles after song titles or lyrics. It's fun to track them all down and connect them.

thats dumb and youre dumb

Sup Forums likes preacher. they maybe dont like the tv show? not sure. the tv show had to change some shit but its not as if that affects the comic

The comic is pretty great. I honestly was expecting it to be just pure brutal satire, but it actually had some real emotional depth beneath the surface. The Tv version,it's alright, but I'm hoping they at least follow some of the original stuff in season 2.