Bendis' Avengers Run

Here we go.

Other urls found in this thread:

comicbooklibrarian.tumblr.com/post/117262674857/bendis-avengers-reading-list
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Will be stopping with Siege because I feel like that Bendis's run should've ended there and that it served as better conclusion that AoU

Janet, you of all people shouldn't be giving anyone crap for having lustful thoughts.

Haven't we suffered enough this summer?

THE RIDE IS STARTING UP AGAIN

The original New Avengers series was great, mainly storytiming to show that.

Also thinking of storytiming Young Avengers in this.

>great
like a really good shit

satisfying, but still shit

Even if you don't like the series please don't post images in a storytime.

>I don't know who that is
get ready to read THAT a lot!

Why are you doing this?

how are you gonna do it when the series splits after Civil War, OP?

I like how the story is a mystery but they give away the mystery IN THE TITLE OF THE STORY.

(I do think it was necessary to get clear out some of the "classic" Avenger characters who had been in the book too long. But they deserved a better send-off.)

Will be posting Mighty Avengers/New Avengers in the order they came out monthly. I'm thinking about posting Illuminati in full though.

>images on a storytime

C'mon man...

I agree with this. I thought the Finale issue was sort of well done though.

I'll be reading the commentary
But probably not reading the books again

Ok, that's a lie I'll probably start reading after civil war
The trust was my first avengers story, if we don't count the ultimates

NOT LIKE THIS!!

He's doing us a service in this case.

If you don't like the series don't open the thread.

I know this run isn't well liked on Sup Forums, that doesn't give anons the right to break the rules. Even in storytimes of pain anons were asked to not post images.

eagerly awaiting fembot tony.

or is that too well known for good reactions?

The gigantic explosions and "realistic" colors are as much a part of the '00s comics as pouches and guns of the '90s.

comicbooklibrarian.tumblr.com/post/117262674857/bendis-avengers-reading-list

Using this as a general outline. Everything that's bolded will be storytimed, definitely thinking about storytiming YA and Thunderbolts.

I didn't start reading comics monthly until years after this but I've always wondered what the general reaction to Bendis cleansing house on the Avengers was met with.

The finale was better than Disassembled, agreed, if only for (some) better art.

I find it a little less painful to read now knowing that all the uncool characters who were destroyed in this story are now movie stars (except poor She-Hulk).

I stopped reading comics till Ellis' Thunderbolts

people were less than thrilled

A lot of people were mad (and still are) about Disassembled. Wizard sucked Bendis's cock the entire way through. He was always on their top ten monthly writers list.
And Jack of Hearts, unless he's on one of the Netflix shows.

IIRC it was what Marvel would have been expecting, outrage from people who had been reading Avengers since the Busiek reboot, interest from people who had had no interest in the Avengers up to that point.

The other thing I recall is that there was much more outrage about Hawkeye, outrage over Scarlet Witch developed later (maybe after House of M made it clear she wasn't coming back any time soon).

So, the non-Bendis written runs I'm thinking of storytiming alongside this are:

Young Avengers, the original series and the one published after Civil War/before Secret Invasion
Thunderbolts, you know the one.
Slott's Mighty Avengers.

Feel free to add suggestions.

So in one issue we have Jack of Hearts coming back from the dead just to blow up and kill Scott Lang and now Vision getting ripped in half. Bendis really wanted to set the stakes pretty early.

Whatever happened to this Captain Britain?

Supposedly he wanted to kill off Scott Lang in Alias and was told he couldn't because Geoff Johns was using Lang heavily in Avengers.

Having Jack of Hearts (an obscure character heavily used by Busiek and Johns) come back to kill Lang was sort of a way of saying at the beginning that the obscure characters were going to be gone.

I think these colors fit Finch's art style better than the ones on his current stuff. They don't for all or even most artists but they do for Finch.

Poor Vision. They just put him in a crate and forgot about him until Bendis was ready to leave the book.

Yeah, they are disgusting, just like his art

This captcha has a wheel chair sign, a female/male bathroom sing and a slippery floor sign.

If you don't like the run why are you reading the storytime?

I hate this fucking art

Jeez, sorry I ruined your safe space, you fucking baby.

The same reason the MST3K gang was watching the cheesy movies, I guess.

> We'll send him cheesy comics
> With lots of Bendis-speak
> He'll be a Grinch and hate on Finch
> And the coloring technique
> La la la

It's a simple question. No one's forcing you to read this.

Age of the sentry because it's his best story?
That one JMS spidey arc about the hydra avenger doubles, because I think it was cool but I can't remember very well?
Anything else with cool characters, like dark reign sinister spider-man or Daken or Ares or...

Honestly, I think you got everything that matters already and the rest is just personal tastes.

I remember Bendis doing an interview with Brevoort (the longtime Avengers editor who had this reboot forced on him) and Bendis said their relationship started to improve when Brevoort put the big "ONE OF THESE AVENGERS WILL DIE!" on the cover, like he was now having fun with it.

It's strange that Brevoort's stayed around for so long given how everything post 2004 is the exact opposite of his vision for Marvel.

Well, he knows how to change with the times. Him and Ralph Macchio who went from editing traditional Marvel comics to editing the Ultimate line. Most editors can't adjust and get forced out eventually.

BENDY DICK!!!

>first page has Bendis speak
For fucks sake