Did you feel bad for him?

Did you feel bad for him?

Do not pity the dead.

He was unforgettable.

He was a fucking asshole

He got what he deserved.

No. He died like he lived. Like a bad joke.

not even a little

God he's such a good actor.

Yeah it sucks to be in a Snyder movie

That's why, darling, it's incredible

Honestly I think this movie would have a lot more good will if they just did the ending like the comics. Not the squid or Manhattan thing, that I understand. Everything after that.

A little bit, but then I remembered he was an asshole.

To a dagree, he's written as such a pathetic alpha-male fuckup that it's hard not to feel a little pity for him.

It probably helps he's played by Jeffrey Dean Morgan in the film, a guy talented enough to give a nuanced performance in a Wacky Zack film. Better men then him have tried and failed to get past Snyder's Lucas-tier direction of actors.

>Not the squid or Manhattan thing, that I understand. Everything after that.
The ending was terrible all around.

In the original, an alien appears to land in Manhattan, causing local death and destruction and dying in the process. What happened? It's a mystery. They're not clearly attacking, but they're inhuman and dangerous.

This would plausibly unite humanity against a common threat at an acceptable cost in lives and property to prevent a global nuclear war. You might not agree with Ozy's choice, but you can see there's some reasoning behind it, and the possibility that it could work and lead to an improved outcome.

In the film, Dr. Manhattan, the American military asset, appears to blow the shit out of all of the world's greatest cities.

This is insane. The death toll is as bad as a nuclear war would be. Furthermore, if Dr. Manhattan blew up Moscow, the Soviets would launch an all-out retaliation strike without hesitation. The survivors would have no reason to unite against Dr. Manhattan. How could they possibly fight a being with such godlike powers, who was immediately present and hostile? Furthermore, everybody in the world would blame the Americans for what he did. On top of that, if he didn't stick around and continue to attack or threaten them, they'd suspect the threat was gone, along with any reason to unite against it. Maybe he committed suicide in the blasts. Who knows?

There's no way this would lead to a better outcome, and it should be immediately obvious both to Ozy and to Dr. Manhattan.

twice

Of course I feel bad for him, his Starz show got cancelled and now he's stuck on The Walking Meme. I don't think he'll make another movie again, either.

>implying he's not going to be getting big, fat paycheck for the next 5 years as they drag the Negan storyline out forever

He's gonna be fine, and being the villain on the biggest show on TV only helps your career.

>He's gonna be fine, and being the villain on the biggest show on TV only helps your career.
Yeah, I can barely turn on the TV without seeing David Morrissey on every channel.

>implying that's the same thing

Morrissey was and still is an English character actor who was a name in the UK before he played the Governor. He career has always been a stable straight line.

Morgan's career fluctuates more, and I say this as someone who has more then one of his crappy DTV action movies.

Yes, I am implying it's the same thing, He was the Comedian and Batman's Dad and now he's Negan with a bunch of crappy B-movies & guest starring on mostly cancelled TV shows in between.

Eh. TV shows are actually good biz for actors, no one expects awards worthy performance, possible gateway to the big movies (Brayan Cranston, Guberbatch), and possible steady paycheck for years to come.

>attempted rapist who killed the woman he impregnated just because
>and a fucking ton of other people

Not really.

>just because

Didn't she slash his face with a broken bottle?

Why should I feel bad for him, he's got a steady gig as Negan lined up.

They overdid the Manhattan bombs or whatever, but the alien squid thing never would have worked in a movie simply because there wasn't anywhere to place all the foreshadowing that the alien squid required. Even in the comics that involved a lot of setup, and suddenly showing a bunch of actors working on a movie, talking about the creature that was made, etc, simply wouldn't work in film, it would appear so completely unrelated that it would be jarring, and if you leave that stuff out the alien squid would seem like a completely random asspull.

Hrm, maybe, honestly its been a long time since I've read Watchmen. Still, the reaction was obviously way over the top.

Yup. It was in a fit of rage after she maimed him.

Not really. How bad he felt on the inside is ireelevant if he never did anything to change it.

This guy murdered a woman pregnant with his child, then hangs up a poster in his home in memory of a woman he tried to rape so he can feel bad over his lost love?

He treated people like garbage and then felt bad when his daughter didn't want anything to do with him.

She slashed his face after he abandoned her at a stage in her pregnancy where abortion would be most likely out of the question, and then was glib about the imperialism that murdered millions of her countrymen.

She was a heavily pregnant, tiny Asian woman. A tall, muscular guy could have easily disarmed her without smearing their unborn child all over the fucking bar room floor.

He was the only sane person in the story, why would I feel bad for him? I felt bad for all the deluded characters and their shit society. I feel the same for the progs ITT.

No one's been posting Judge Dredd strips in here user, the fuck are you rambling about.

No, one of the things that took me out of Watchmen was that I never cared what happened to all those assholes.

What they did in the movie didn't work either. It was a bad movie. You could pretty much only enjoy the music and visual effects. So there's no point in claiming that they had to make any of the changes they did to make a good movie.

The ending especially didn't work. The plan had some absolute requirements, which the film version didn't meet:
1) America had to be the only target. (because they were the ones with the advantage, that other countries were afraid had first-strike capability)
2) The threat had to come from a third party that could not be struck at immediately.
3) The threat had to stay plausible indefinitely with no further action.
4) The threat had to be great enough to require unity, but not so great as to make it appear futile.

The set-up they spent on the Dr. Manhattan energy reactors could have been spent hinting the space squid plot.

>not caring about Rorschach, Dan or Laurie
>not feeling bad after reading Jon's monologue
>not caring about the Bernies
>not loving Hollis
>not loving what a dumb, secretly sweet bitch Sally is
>not feeling sorry for Malcolm as his wife treats him like garbage for being emotionally affected by a difficult case
>not feeling sorry for Janey after she gave up her best years for a man who abandoned her for jailbait

How.

IIRC other countries were hit with aliens as well, just not squids

Not a bunch, but I could understand why he did the things he did. Yes, even the killing the anchor baby. And at the end, when he found everything out he still tried to reveal it yet he just couldn't do it. He's a tragic hero, a prisoner of his impulses yet also made great and terrible because of them.

Abortion is ALWAYS possible. It's simply that at that stage of the pregnancy it's illegal in almost every country. She could always birth it and raise it in Vietnam, but she wanted to go to the US.

>could have easily disarmed her
That's not the point. The point is that he lashed out in the moment of pain and rage immediately following her attack, which left him permanently disfigured.

That's pretty different from killing someone "just because".

>other countries were hit with aliens as well, just not squids
You don't remember correctly. That doesn't make any sense.

No, fuck his character.

And fuck everyone for continuing to allow snyder to make movies. He's awful at it.

If only America is hit then the Commies and the third world couldn't care less, if they're all hit it's far more fear inducing

>other countries wouldn't care that a Lovecraftian monstrosity seemingly teleported from space, landed on Earth and instantly killed hundreds of thousands of people

Because it happened to an enemy.

For all you know America pissed them off by landing on the Moon and you're only going to risk yourself if you ally with them

The idea is that this alien stumbled into their world. Where one has come, more may follow. Maybe they've been discovered. They have to prepare to defend themselves. There's a chance they have years to prepare to repel an alien invasion. They have to cling to that chance, pull together fast, and hope it's good enough.

If it's multiple aliens, scattered across the world, then what the fuck happened? Some kind of coordinated attack? No time to prepare! Next volley's on the way! Everything's fucked! Flee the cities!

If it's aliens of different species, then what the flying fuck is going on? Are they just dumb animals all dropped on Earth by a purely natural phenomenon? Why did they hit cities? Most of the Earth's surface isn't city. Too many questions. Too much to dispute. People won't agree and come together.

> Abortion is ALWAYS possible.

Technically yes, but if it's illegal it's profoundly dangerous. Coathangers are lethal even when the pregnancy is in the first trimester. Apply that logic to a third trimester baby like the one you see in the comic.

> She could always birth it and raise it in Vietnam, but she wanted to go to the US.

She never said that. All she said was that Eddie had a responsibility to her. Which he did. If he wasn't going to stay and be a father (which is shitty) and he wasn't going to bring her to America (also shitty when you consider the political situation in Vietnam in the time), then the least he could do was give her some means to take care of their kid. He didn't. He mocked her country after his country invaded it and murdered millions of it's people and told her to get lost.

Eddie is objectively a horrible human being. The only good things he canonically did was rescue hostages from the Iran embassy. The rest was him feeling bad for himself that Sally wouldn't let her potential rapist and abuser near their daughter and doing whatever he pleased to people who were weaker than he was.

>tragic hero
Pic fucking related.

I wasn't the one who said "just because".

Sure, it's different from killing her for kicks. So it's only slightly less morally repugnant. Wonderful.

Godspeed.

>If it's aliens of different species, then what the flying fuck is going on? Are they just dumb animals all dropped on Earth by a purely natural phenomenon? Why did they hit cities? Most of the Earth's surface isn't city. Too many questions. Too much to dispute. People won't agree and come together.

Pacific Rim happens

A bit. I have a soft spot for older people, I just hate seeing them suffer.

Yes, he was one of my favorite characters. Obviously if he were a person in the real world he'd be a scumbag but that's a different question.

I'm pretty sure he felt bad for everyone else.

>The rest was him feeling bad for himself that Sally wouldn't let her potential rapist and abuser near their daughter and doing whatever he pleased to people who were weaker than he was.

Christ, this reminds me too much of my own father. People like him are genuine monsters.

I'm not here to speculate on moral lapses of good men who died in their country's service.