/doag/

Still tomorrows strip for about 40 minutes!

In this strip, Becky leaves her corporal form to infect Walky as she tries her new stand up routine to two suicidal alcoholics
It does not go well

All glory to Patreanon

>18 paragraph comic analysis by Cerebus about how this is all because Walky is cis gendered.

oh god, you're right

Nah, it's because he has middle-class, straight privilege.

Would this be better if he said "Juliet An' Juliet" instead?

Walky is Billie's closest friend at school, he's basically the only reason she has any friends that aren't Ruth. She can't seem to make any friends on her own

Their parents are hours away and Walky is right there, of course he's her emergency contact

Wait, so who's Ruth's emergency contact?

Except that probably got decided at the start of the year when she couldn't stand him and told him to fuck off all the time.

Yeah, you generally set up emergency contacts at the beginning of the school year.

I think Walky's lying about being her emergency contact and just making shit up because he snuck in there.

Here's tonight's strip! From the Patreon comments section:

Cerberus: Walky: "Pfft, healthy relationships don't exist."
Dina: "O RLY?!?"

Someone less infamous: "Further proof Becky and Dina are the OTP to put all others to shame."

What the fuck are those eyes int he first panel? It's like from a completely different style. Also they're uneven in a 'semi-real way that doesn't work because the face is just a flat whatever.

>Thing'd be
like things would be?

>whiplash between panels 2 and 3

Was Willis drunk when he did this, it's like more disjointed and shitty than usual.

Fucking everyone should die in these comic.

Why are all of these people being allowed into a private room at a doctor's office?? Who could possibly rationalize Dina's presence there?

A lot of copy-paste in these few pages.

Yeah, there is zero transition in the dialogue and then Dina is just there for no reason.

Yeah, you can especially tell by looking at Billie's fingers and Ruth's position.

>more copy-paste
>it's copying and pasting from the day prior
Was Willis at a convention when he drew these strips and needed to cut corners?

As for Willis' attempt at humor, I'm getting a weird "The Office" vibe, as in Willis trying to rip off the awkward-situation humor of The Office. That may just be me, though.

Apparently Dina's thing is being Batman and interjecting out of nowhere.
Because apparently autistic people are born with the ability to suppress sound.

I stopped coming to these threads and dropped DoA for a while because I really thought this comic could not possibly get any more obnoxious.

I was wrong. This is offensively obnoxious. This is an affront to my sense of sight.

And this is a comic WITHOUT Becky. I can't even imagine how bad she must be by now.

>I can't even imagine how bad she must be by now.
Well, in 24 hours I'm sure Becky will be joining us. Dina and her are supposed to arrive together.

I'm just going to leave this here.

Alternatively.

a bottle of absinthe

It's Dina's superpower. People never notice her so she can go anywhere.

If Joyce or Becky were worried about Ruth and Billie and wanted to know what was going on then Dina could go in and check on them

>All around me are familiar faces... worn out places, worn out faces

It's more likely Scrubs. He REALLY wants to be the next Scrubs for whatever god awful reason.

The thing is though, when Scrubs was being serious it stayed serious. It didn't just have scenes where J.D. and the cancer patient old lady were having a heart to heart on why it's okay for her to die, and then Turk comes in and is "I TOLD YOU WE WERE HAVING A WATER BALLOON FIGHT!"

He's still the only person she knew at school, he's nearby, they know each other's parents really well and it's not like she could trust her room mate Sal

You know, if he posted THIS instead of the usual strip then I'd honestly give him an upvote or whatever the fuck they use on Patreon. That's genuinely what depression feels like, people talking and moving around you but you only care enough to catch one or two things.

Teleportation is one of the lesser known attributes of dinosaurs.

>Becky leaves her corporal form to infect-

This pretty much describes the default characterization in this strip now.

If Becky isn't there, someone must then assume the role of Becky.

Becky is one of those annoy people who don't get why everyone is mean and dislikes them. They say stupid shit and don't know how to be serious when the mood calls for it. Everyone went to a school with one of these fags.

>''Analysis of comic''
>''Reaction to panel 3''

I think I'm more annoyed by the people who support this autism.

Cerberus is using it for therapy purposes supposedly so I've learned to just live with it. I mean, it doesn't affect me personally so who gives a fuck?

I'd love to meet the enabling piece of shit encouraging this behavior.

What the hell is up with his eyes in the first panel?

>the more marginalized you are, the less slack you get given
That's fucking bullshit though

In a moment, he realized that maybe he should try *not* being quirky and whimsical, but then The Becky entered his body.

I'm black, one of the top 3 most marginalized demographics. The amount of slack and chances I can get from my skin color alone is shocking. Cerb needs to shut the fuck up.

>When I used to think I was a dude.
>Because I thought and others thought I was a dude.

I wish you'd go over there and post that.

Willis would just delete it

One's emergency contact doesn't have to be local.

It's very strange that Walky is her emergency contact *and* Billie doesn't know why he's here in this emergency situation.

Also, Billie choosing someone she can't stand over her virtually estranged parents is an important character moment that shouldn't just be implied here almost 6 years into this strip. It's more likely to me that she put him on the list after that one time she was in his bed and he got Ruth to help her. None of this should be guess work though. Instead of doing like a billion shitty strips about nothing this should've been a focus. At the very least, could end with her reacting to and commenting on why he's an emergency contact instead of a punchline where Willis doesn't understand what words mean.

Naw, he wouldn't dare insult a black person.

>Was Willis at a convention when he drew these strips and needed to cut corners
>implying he needs a convention
This entire comic is admittedly a cut corner for him.

Tell that to the black people he accused of not having lived "the black experience" after calling BS on Sal and Walky's parents being racists.

he told black people they were too white when they said the stuff with walky and sal doesnt actually happen ever

He wouldn't believe you were black. Even if you posted a fucking picture with a timestamp he wouldn't believe you.

That or another "Black" poster on there would just say that you don't speak for everyone or some dumb bullshit.

It's this kind of logic that pisses me off.

>2% of the overall group experiences something different that isn't representative of the whole
>"you're not speaking from my portion so your opinion is invalid"

Stats literally prove these people wrong 100% of the time and they'll still say they're right.

According to Willis, if you haven't experienced blatant prejudice from cis white christian males or are able to be a fucking adult and see past it if you have, you're not a REAL minority.

It doesn't matter. They don't want to admit that not every fucking minority is oppressed, or that white people aren't the majority oppressors of the world. They've set up their image of the bad guy and telling them any differently will just piss them off.

This is so... Bizarre. It's like nobody here understands the concept of tone at all. So fucking surreal.

You know, Ruth doesn't look like she's even part of the environment. Like she was placed over it, not in it. I guess that's a risk of mixing realism and cartoony stuff.

Is Willis seriously trying to pass off Becky and Dina as a healthy relationship?

Because first of all they only dated for a few days at most before Becky fucked off somewhere without telling her, and it's only a matter of time before Becky wholesale rapes the straight out of Joyce, and drops Dina like a trig class. And is portrayed as being totally in the right for doing it.

>Becky fucked off somewhere without telling her
she did tell her
>only a matter of time before Becky wholesale rapes the straight out of Joyce
do you seriously think this

I look forward to the 150,000 word cerebus post explaining how it's all Joyce's fault for being white and religious.

>do you seriously think this
Yes.

Do you seriously think the endgame for this comic isn't Joyce becoming a cynical atheist lesbian?

atheist, probably, but its pretty obvious that joyce being straight isnt going to change

I'd be more inclined to believe that if it weren't Becky going after her.

Willis has outright spelled out in detail that Becky ALWAYS gets what she wants no matter what.
So with that in mind, my prediction is that Joyce will see the "error of her ways", magically become a lesbian like Billie and Dina did, and hook up with Becky.

>magically become a lesbian like Billie
Billie was established as bisexual at various points. She talks about sexing up guys AND girls.

this already happened

You're just using that as an excuse to post that great strip.

....... Carry on.

I know.

I'm saying I can see this being undone by Joyce "realizing she was wrong" or however Willis will justify it.

if becky kissing her didnt make her "realize" what exactly do you think would

Also, do something useful with your life.
Also, praise Patreanon!

>those fucking hands
Every time

Maybe Willis shouldn't be an artist if he's so incapable of drawing fingers.

What's wrong with Walky in the 3rd panel?

Something stupid, I'm sure. It's Willis.

Anyone else read this comic solely for Cerberus' reactions?

I hate everyone in this strip

He's either lying or being serious for half a moment.

I think I'm getting to that point. What do you imagine it looks like behind that computer?

Willis realized that it's hard to have characters emote when all they have is dot eyes, so he temporarily changed the style in order to get the expression he wanted. He does it all the time, especially with Walky.

His complete inconsistency with the way he draws eyes is easily the most visually frustrating thing in this comic, in my opinion.

The day Joyce hooks up with Becky is the day the strip jumps the shark. I don't think Willis has it in him to day that.

Yeah, the constant flux between doll eyes and regular eyes is jarring.

Pretty much all the comment trends/gimmicks piss me off, so no. Except for triangle Joyce edit guy, they seem alright.

Joyce is pretty much confirmed to not "hook up" with anyone ever, cause an almost-rape survivor can't ever be sexual again.

>Every time
Quite literally. Every time hands are in a strip, they look that bad.

More likely it is due to Ruth and Billie and the whole set being copied and pasted repeatedly.

Patreanon is the most noble existence that one can aspire to.

I made the mistake of reading the comments on the main site. Godspeed, commenter Viktoria. There's no way Willis lets you stay on after this.

I reallyyyyy hope this comment doesn't get deleted or ripped apart.

which episode of MST3K is that?

willis wants to treat Serious Issues in his comic but has this weird belief that committing to a dramatic tone for more than a couple of panels at a time will turn it into funky winkerbean

so this is what we get

>If Becky isn't there, someone must then assume the role of Becky.

There never was a Becky. Well there was but she died. However before the accident that took her life she became an organ donor and many of her parts where given to a young new class of college students who where recently involved in a terrible buss accident of their own.

Becky however was too annoying to give up life and now through the donated parts she assumes control of any one of these students.

>Cerberus thinks Becky & Dina's relationship is healthy just because it didn't start with throwing things
You would think someone who monologues daily about a webcomic themed around dysfunctional social interaction would recognize co-dependence when they see it.

If you're on this board every day, then you've got Sup Forums-dependence, ayyyyy

>a person who spends a significant amount of time in the DUMBING OF AGE comments thinks white cis males get away with more than non-white people/trans people/women, despite the fact that Carla & Becky can get away with anything but the commenters jump on Mike at the first sign of an issue
I hope I never have the displeasure of meeting that disaster of a person.

> Joyce will never tie you down with a child as she makes passive aggressive remarks about how she never thought her life would turn out THIS way while making you a sammich with horseradish even though you HATE horseradish and she knows you hate it and when you run out the door and say "I love you" she just sort of grunts and mutters something about how you never kiss her the way you kissed that other girl

> Joyce will never tie you down with a child as she makes passive aggressive remarks about how she never thought her life would turn out THIS way
> while making you a sammich with horseradish even though you HATE horseradish and she knows you hate it
> and when you run out the door and say "I love you" she just sort of grunts and mutters something about how you never kiss her the way you kissed that other girl
> so you say "bae can we not do this right now? I've gotta go slowly die in a cubicle and yet I look forward to it far more than the impending shitstorm you're brewing"

I wonder how poorly Willis would react to the correct assertion that all prejudice is a result of misplaced class tension, followed by the corollary that he himself is a wealthy beneficiary of a hegemonic system that actually, you know, matters to analyze, and instead he uses his time to assess the minutiae of microaggressions that he's never fucking experienced.

I also wonder how he would react to being told that he's his generation's face of queer imperialism and its straight abetters/propagators.

yeah, I've posted about having an actually traumatic childhood thanks to abusive christian parents and how I don't blame christianity for it, and willis still deleted it.

he really does delete anyone who disagrees with him as long as it doesn't make him look like a monster for doing so.

Actually- interesting thing about that. Willis posted something on patreon super early this morning/late last night. Something that I think is much better. Originally, Walky was the first person in the room and the scenes at the health center never happened. I'll post Willis's commentary after this. I think it plays out for a much more tender moment. Walky isn't manically channeling Becky and actually admits he's joking because he cares and not for laughs... oh, and Dina jumps Mary.

Here's what the man himself had to say about it. I screenshotted the text because I'm not entirely sure he's going to leave it up on patreon. So far the comments seem to largely prefer this deleted sequence.

"I finished aaaaaaaaaall these comics as an increasing feeling of "this isn't the best way to do this" came over me, and I had to wait for the strength of that feeling to overcome my pride in my productivity inertia to finally go OKAY FINE, let's REDO IT, gawsh.

Anyway. Walky being in the Ruth's room took too much focus away from Mary's meltdown outside. Walky being in there (and Dorothy, of course, following him in, because of course she would) kind of felt awkward, and I thought many of those lines would work best moved to the eventual health center scene. And, honestly, as much as I love the first comic up there and the satisfying rhythm of it all, having Dina dinosaur-pounce Mary is a little too fanservicey and flying in the face of what Dina would likely do. It's funny, sure, but she probably wouldn't pounce Mary, who has given us zero in-narrative reason for Dina to harbor ill will towards.

Plus, with the NEW version, by being able to focus separately on Mary's flameout and then later Walky's approaching of his best friend in trouble, I was given the narrative room to put in all this other important stuff, like Walky being Billie's emergency contact. And, despite retooling so much, I was still able to save some of the bits of dialogue and gags I liked, so that was nice."

So to recap: He thinks Walky's jokes are good, he thinks Dina showing up for no reason to talk about how great being Becky's rebound is is good, but he doesn't the nice little moments of pathos are good enough, and he didn't think Walky actually admitting he cared was worth saving. Or maybe he did, who knows what the next strip will bring.

jesus christ

this is actually.....good. plays the situation way better, has the same moments, and doesn't turn mary into a manipulative mustache twirling cunt.

THIS IS WHAT I MEAN ABOUT WILLIS HAVING POTENTIAL TO BE GOOD. FUCK

> potential
Someone who consistently doesn't use their potential doesn't have any, user.

that's not really how that works though. if a person can do well but constantly doesn't, they have wasted potential.

Basically he threw out the functional storytelling he had and remade it because he felt Mary being a villain wasn't getting enough attention.

If we subscribe that the virgin Mary ultimately represents his mother, the evil christian, this event is symbolic of his entire comic.

I actually enjoy it.

It's the whole point of comic relief. There is nothing weird about IMO. I have read him since he was doing It's Walky and sparsing the most dramatic moment with humor break was already his shtick back then.

I think it work. I don't see why people would have issue with it.

This is far better, but I still can't understand what Mary is supposed to be doing by covering for Ruth and Billie. Dorothy going along with Walky and all of Walky's dialogue are points which are far superior to what was published.

If a person never shows their potential there is no real difference between someone who had none to begin with.