Man of steel fan edit

yo Sup Forums

im working on a fan edit of man of steel. i hated that movie. not muh superman. yet the love i bear for superman has me editing this shit all weekend. also i have no life.

here's some stuff to look at because i want to show people my efforts but have no friends.

youtu.be/5KCxByv77-A

and

youtu.be/ZJ9NusCMeDM

also, man of steel thread. what did you hate most? mine was pa kent. im doing my best to retroactively make him better.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/q4cCi45VCMg
youtu.be/SD6wl_duqto
youtu.be/_MjbxMNaE_c
youtu.be/-ypws2Mf2eY
youtu.be/RZ_PHqyGOSA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I really like the condensed opening. Credits are a little choppy, but I get that it's a rough cut so far. Would you handle Zod entirely in flashback so that we learn about him and the fall of Krypton as Clark does?

The second video feels more like a sizzle reel/teaser trailer. I would either shorten the flashback or keep the relevant bits purely as voiceover. That way you can maintain the emotional weight you're going for while keeping the viewer in the moment of struggle. Love the VO from both dads.

How ambitious are you with this? I would love to see the color palette brightened to where the suit doesn't look so desaturated.

Keep up the good work.

Would watch more/10

Don't waste your time

thanks man.

we meet zod as the story goes along. i cut out allll the kryton scenes except the one in my alternate opening. we first hear about zod from ghost jor-el, then meet him when clark first meets him. i think its better we go along the journey with clark, finding out about zod. instead of a 20 minute prologue on krypton showing us how evil and dickish zod is.

i hear you about the sizzle reel aspect of the second vid. i still keep flashbacks in my cut. but didnt use the ones i didnt like (school bus,"maybe", and the classroom flashbacks off the top of my head), and i also switched the flashbacks to moments in the film i felt would be more...smoother i guess. appropriate? idk the word. but maybe in the context of my cut, it will seem less like a sizzle reel and more like a flashback.

I don't plan on messing with the colors at all sorry. i hate the filters, but im not the best at color correction/grading.

i can upload a few more clips of my cuts if you or anyone else is interested. im just drinking and editing.

ill waste my time however i please

Also don't get upset so easily

ill get upset as easily as i please

>e
Kek

Me again. Please do! Anything that makes Pa Kent sound more like Pa Kent is fine by me.
"Hey Clark, I ever tell you about the time I saved the farm from a terrible flood? I mean, it ended up totally destroying the next farm over, like, drowned all there livestock and everything. (Where was I going with this?) Oh yeah! Sometimes trying to help can have unintended consequences so...don't help? I dunno, the whole role model thing just ain't for me so...good talk."

Fuck that shit.

I really like the idea of learning along with Clark. It makes his character more relatable. Having so much explained through exposition and flashback kinda made it feel like he was along for the ride because we already knew about the things his character was just discovering.

Don't listen to the haters. You have the tools tomake the movie you wanted to see and the ability to share it with others. Make something great!

Yeh OP, I like the titles.

What are you going to do with the tornado scene?

This could be good, i think you're doing good so far OP.
You could make it a somewhat decent story if you can edit it enought to make it just a Clark-Supes story.
I think someone could do the same to BvS as just a Batman story, just edit all the stupid out of it.

Btw, buddy of mine had an idea for a sequence that would fill some of the runtime left by the Krypton sequence's absence. It'd be a shortened "world tour" bit that would develop Clark's character, explain how he knew about the ship in Alaska, and get him there in time to meet Lois (who had been tracking reports of miraculous activity in the Midwest before hearing word of some big find up north).

Start with Clark trying to save Pa, but Pa's heart gives out during the tornado. Clark decides to leave Smallville after the funeral but isn't sure where to go. The ship pulls up a holographic map of Earth with a beacon flashing the colony ship's location. He heads out on foot.

Cue montage. Clark helping people on his walk across the US while trying to keep his abilities mostly secret. Have fun. Show him stopping at a diner for a meal and offering to work it off. Manager shows him a filthy dish room before going to get some work forms. He comes back and the place is spotless, all in one tracking shot. The kind of stuff you get away with him doing before he ever put on the cape.

thanks. ill upload 2 other flashback scenes ive done. might take a while to upload my internet upload speed sucks.

i tried to make pa kent more like the pa kent we know from the comics, but really all i did was take out everything that made him not cool. i think his character is better from it. So yeah, ill be taking out the mountain monologue from pa kent in bvs haha. eff that scene dude.

i took that shit out completely. "your not my real dad!!!" and "stop invincible son" ...i almost left the theater from that tornado scene alone.

im gonna try to leave out all scenes that dont really directly revolve around clark's plot/story in bvs. so batman might get shafted a bit in my cut. but eh

That's not something he could edit into the movie but I would have like that Pa Kent death better. Also use that time to show him teaching Clark how to be a good person.

I know you can't include it in an edit, but I thought the lack of stuff like this--heart and humor--was part of what hurt the movie. That, and Pa should have inspired, not inspired doubt.

How great would it have been to see Clark sneak back onto the ferry to get his things, only to be seen at the last second by a crew member? Clark would make a "shh" gesture before hopping back over the side. The crewman would then take a confused look overboard, see nothing, and then either dump out his pocket flask or just pitch it over the side.

Ok OP, when you think you will be over, and where I will be able to download it? Give me links to check later.

Pls kill yourself. No seriously, I am being a hundred percent sincere. Go buy a fun or some rope an just kill yourself.

You are the biggest cancer on this planet and a waste of human life. Just do everyone a favor and kill yourself and donate your organs to someone that could actually use them for a better meaningful life.

Here are the alternate flashbacks i did. its nothing drastic, just put the more interesting flashbacks in places i felt served the story better.

i also took out the church scene entirely. i dont dig the jesus metaphors.

youtu.be/q4cCi45VCMg

youtu.be/SD6wl_duqto

ill upload more interesting shit right now: the battle of metropolis integrated with bruce wayne/bvs footage. might take a while tho...again, shitty internet

and miss out posting on my favorite japanese cartoon image board? no thanks.

>being this butthurt about a movie

>"Hey Clark, I ever tell you about the time I saved the farm from a terrible flood? I mean, it ended up totally destroying the next farm over, like, drowned all there livestock and everything. (Where was I going with this?) Oh yeah! Sometimes trying to help can have unintended consequences so...don't help? I dunno, the whole role model thing just ain't for me so...good talk."

It was about how you can't always control the outcome of things and that sometimes bad things will happen while you're trying to do good and although that might crush you have to keep trying. Just find that especial person that you'll give the strength to support those bad times in life.

How can people have a hard time grasping such a simple message?

I get it, I just have too much fun picking on SnyderPa. The message is a good one, but the example is so heartbreaking that it doesn't exactly build resolve, much less confidence. He's trying to explain that things don't always work out as you expect and that you can't let that stop you. But isn't that more of a Peter Parker theme than a Superman theme? When it's explored in Superman stories, it usually runs along the lines of "all this power and I couldn't save them all." It humbles him while reinforcing his humanity because it shows that he 1. has limits and 2. doesn't see himself as some kind of god.

It just doesn't come off the right way in BvS. Spider-Man regularly has to deal with unintended consequences because he's a more tragic hero. Supes is more of an "I'll find a way!" hero. Don't get me wrong, they have a very similar attitude, they just operate on a vastly different scale. I read Spidey for for fun, adventure and pathos. I read Superman for fun, adventure and inspiration.

Tl;dr: I'm tired and rambling. Boo SnyderPa, yay Superman.

here are my last uploads. enjoy. these are the metropolis battle with bvs footage.

im drunk and gonna pass out now.

youtu.be/_MjbxMNaE_c

youtu.be/-ypws2Mf2eY

youtu.be/RZ_PHqyGOSA

I like MoS but I would enjoy an edit that feels more true to the source material. I like what I'm seeing so far.

Well, BvS pretty much was all heart-breaking. Even the uplifting messages are bitter-sweet,

Superman start to believe that he's more trouble than worth.
Batman lost hope in himself and the very fact of helping others.
Wonder Woman lost hope on humanity as a whole.
Lex Luthor was so twisted by his life that he believes there's no good in the world, just lies we tell others and the never-ending quest for power.

And the whole message is merely that "we can do better, we fuck up badly, but oh god we must be better than this, please".

This is some great stuff. Why couldn't we have had this Pa? An I am with you all the way on dropping all the Space Jesus! stuff. It was distracting and unnecessary.

Maybe the problem with MoS is that they wanted too much to make a commentary on the whole Muslim crisis, which bumped a little with the source material.

In theory you're still doing something about a immigrant story, which Superman is about, but Superman tread that superficially.

I like you OP

instead of being autistic, why just watch the Donner Superman?

About the BvS, well thats what audiences liked, maybe because it kinda worked.

I literally just finished rewatching it five minutes ago. I don't know that anything you could do would be able to save it, but I applaud you for trying.

I'd never thought of it that way. I got so lost in how relentlessly grim and hopeless and depressing the movie was that I missed the broader strokes of the characters. But within those strokes lies my biggest problem with the film: I go to those characters for hope and wonder and joy, not self-doubt and all that other stuff. Superman is the absolute last hero that should ever say "no one stays good in this world." I'm not opposed to changing or updating the characters. I've been reading Nu52 Action Comics and really like the brash, almost reckless take they have on young Superman. BvS just felt too much like a betrayal of the defining elements that make those characters who they are. I get that Batman is supposed to be losing his grip, but going so far as to cwllously kill? It just bugs me. In DKR he was ruthless and brutal, but it felt earned. Appropriate.

>Superman is the absolute last hero that should ever say "no one stays good in this world."

He said that in a moment of fear and doubt. He was already doubting himself and his role, and then Lex Luthor forces him to kill Superman save his mother's life? You can see the disgust in his face.

But yeah, i agree.

>I get that Batman is supposed to be losing his grip, but going so far as to cwllously kill? It just bugs me.

Batman felt that the whole "Batman" thing brought more pain and problem than anything else. That this "hero" path is a lie. That his morals and codes meant nothing in the end.
So he thought that Superman was doing the same thing he did, but since he was Superman the damage he could bring would be in a much bigger scale.

That's why Batman started to kill after deciding that he'd off himself by trying to take out Superman. It was a suicide followed by homicide.

This is some great stuff OP. I hope this thread is still here in the morning. You managed to give the Battle of Metropolis something it really needed: emotion. It's no longer just a bunch of destruction. I love how working in Bruce gives us (and his scenes) a more powerful emotional payoff. The opening of BvS felt like cynical backtracking. This feels organic and made me sympathetic to his situation and his employees'. Keep up the great work!

Huh. Assuming you are the same poster I've been talking to, I really like what you're saying. I think the failure lies in the film's heavy-handed execution of the ideas you listed. I noticed the disgust on Clark's face, but I took it as disgust towards himself and humanity instead of Luthor and his impossible choice.

As far as Batman's murder spree followed by Sup-icide, I'm still not sold. I can see it after you pointed it out, but none of it felt natural (like his graveside 180 shift). It's a catch-22. They have a limited amount of screen time, so you can either take 5-10 minutes and show him becoming more ruthless and brutal in the year and a half following the attack, or you can save time and have Alfred say "I've seen it before. You're headed for a dark place, etc." Still, if he's killing to get Superman to kill him, I can't root for that Batman. It's a stretch already to have him kill out of negligence, somewhat less so if he's killing because gritty vigilante. (Still don't like the guns because I think it betrays a core aspect of the character, even though I didn't mind as much when he straight up wasted that one mutant in DKR)