Is Dr. Wily really a terrible person?

Discuss.

I can't tell is that a ponytail on Wily?

Yeah, looks terrible. No wonder he went evil.

Yes. He constantly destroys the trust others have placed in him, has lied manipulated, and conned people to try to get his way all because he thinks the world owes him and or because he feels he should be in charge as he's a genius. He's kidnapped a little girl, on four occasions stolen robot masters and repurposed them into homicidal machines, the other 6 times he built killer robots himself. There are much worse villains out there and Wily's always been stopped before too much real damage has be wrought but the man's a treacherous little shit. Cannot ever be trusted.

He's ultimately his own worst enemy.

I love the irony of his greatest work being a savior from people like him or even worse. Can you imagine his reaction?

Yeah, he kind of is. I mean, the comic did a good job of making him more understandable as a character, and there are a couple of glimmers of hope that he MIGHT not be 100% evil to the core, but he was still a self-absorbed, entitled prick who would sooner put hundreds of thousands of lives in danger than admit that he was ever in the wrong. We also know that by the end Wily was so full of hate that he had developed Zero for the purpose of terrorizing humanity even after his death, so by that point especially there really was no hope for him.

Well he did cause the Cataclysm, and create the Maverick virus.

>bring it back to Zero

We don't have to. We saw it in Mega Man X5. Whatever parts of his personality he left to haunt Zero stopped caring about taking over the world and only really wanted to destroy Light's creations and prove that he was the better scientist. Everything he's done was driven by jealousy.

So if one of his creations is famous for being the greatest maverick hunter ever, so what. It's something, he'll take it.

Never even noticed that before.

He might not have. The maverick virus bears some pretty significant resemblance to the Evil Energy from Mega Man 8

In fact as best we can tell Zero was the sole carrier of the virus for however many years until Sigma broke his W, which knocked Zero out and erased most of his memory.

Zero could have been simply (over)powered by the evil energy's influence, and when sigma released it, THAT's when it became an epidemic virus.

>blues prints
Heh

Whether it's the "Evuw Ennagy" or just weird anime programming magic, I never got the intention that the Zero/Maverick Virus was really meant to exist as a virus. I always figured it was meant to just be a part of Zero but spread like a virus after Sigma's fight with Zero.

He's not a very good scientist.

The only thing of any originality or worth that he ever created (as in, not just a blatant rip-off of Light's projects or stolen from other inventors) was a Virus that caused robots to go completely insane.

I figured that was the case too. Remeber that zero had a flaw that basically made him a violent and destructive animal. The maverick virus was probably just meant to correct the flaw, which it did. But Sigma punched him and messed everything up.

Eh, yes and no.

Sure, he did some nasty stuff, but its all to get some respect, not to really hurt anyone.

And he made Zero, who was responsible for finally uniting humans and Reploids. Top that, Light.

it was originally, basically a patch to keep zero from going berserk when wily woke him up. he was uncontrollable until his fight against sigma where he ended up passing it on to him.

and when something not meant for your system gets in there, bad shit happens

He co-created Bass and Bassinium.
He created nearly every robot he's ever used.
He also Created Zero. Canonically speaking the most powerful reploid ever built.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.
Wily was the superior robicist but light was the better AI man.
Look at Rockman and X and how he becomes an invincible demigod at the end of the X series.

>bring it back to zero

The majority of mad 'scientists' in fiction are mad engineers.

Think about it- a scientist's main job is to research and publiish findings. occasionally that shit is profitable, more often it's about chasing grant money.

Now an engineer? their job is to build shit, experimentation may be involved but it's very practical work.

Dr. Wily is hands down a better Engineer than Light, most of the robots he used were his own work and his crowning AI achievment is a virus that subverted all the tech based on Light's designs.

Light however was the superior AI Engineer and a better actual scientist who pioneered a human/robot society that lived in harmony.so yeah he was twice the man and scientist that wily ever was, roboticist skills aside.

Everyone is a terrible person.

Some are just terrible in a different way.

But that doesn't make them any more or less terrible than anyone else.

i dont think he's evil
in the comics he doesnt want to kill anyone except mega man
his robots state that he doesnt want to kill people and that he wouldnt hurt robots
lastly he turns on Eggman for trying to kill Light, as he states he wanted his enemy defeated and humiliated not killed
evil? no
good? definitely not

Dr Wily is small time compared to Thomas

He's a victim of circumstances, as the mutliverse shows.

Dr.Light builds robots = Dr.Wily rebels and controls the robots to try to take over the world with robot terrorism. Repeat, repeat, blame aliens, repeat.

Dr.Light builds internets = Dr.Wily rebels and tries to control the internets to try to take over the world with internet terrorism. Has a gay son who's brain he deletes, and finally does decide to quit crime three generations later, then maybe die in an explosion after his most recent scheme blew up.

Yeah, it turned out very differently I'm sure.

Dr.Wily can't help but be Wily

No, he didn't. Wily stole or coerced the use of the robot masters used in #1, 4, 6, and 9. Twice he stole Light's robots (or tweaked their programming), forced Dr. Cossak to throw his RMs at Megaman after he kidnapped his daughter, and stole the RMs being shown off at a World's Fair deal while disguised as Mr. X (the disguise fooled nobody.)

It's implied that some of the other boss and mook robots are a mixture of shit he built himself or stole and repurposed (see the Sniper Joes.) He worked on the Gamma robot with Dr. Light (final boss of MM3) before he stole that shit, too.

He built his own RMs in MM# 2,3,5,7,8, and 10, and even that's not always 100% since Archie comics and other errata give different origins of some of them (Shadow Man for instance.) or sources he used, like the Dark Energy from MM8.

So while he is capable of designing some pretty bad-ass stuff, including Zero, Wily is the kind of dick who has no problem stealing other people's work/creations or forcing them to be used for his own wants and ends.

Concerning that last part, that's mostly because a constant joke in the series is "where does Wily get the money for all this?"

The Mega Man 3 robots (except Shadow Man) are actually co built by Light and Wily after Wily pretended to reform. Crystal Man and Junk Man apparently existed since MM2, but they weren't combat robots until the game they debut it - Crystal Man sells crystals to finance schemes, and Junk Man can collect Junk for Wily to build robots. Half the robot masters in 5's purposes is to go out and steal money. Turbo Man is literally made out of a car, Clown Man was stolen from a fucking circus, etc.

best comic book bromance in comic book history

Wily IS the maverick virus

There's a little Wily in all of us

>He co-created Bass

Oh wow. A bipedal robot with an arm cannon who can steal the powers of other robots.

>Zero

Oh wow. An advanced super robot with an arm cannon that needed to be kept in stasis for its behavior protocols to even themselves out

You can just smell the originality wafting from his "inventions"

so running on the idea that the Maverick virus is basically a digital upload of Wily's complete and utter hatred for doctor light and all his works...

what if

guys, just listen

what if Doctor Light met Henry Pym and Wily met Ultron?

Wily has never been good at originality. Even the robot masters in 2 are all upgrades from the first-line masters.

Though I have to give him credit in making the first robot to act against his master deliberately

ya think? I really hope somebody would make a game where we can see doctor light as villain.
and correction, it was across timelines, remember the battle network and starforce.

>Evil Brofist

>what if Doctor Light met Henry Pym and Wily met Ultron?

Oh man, I didn't know that, though that would explain ALOT about how all continuities treat the Fifth Numbers (AKA MM5 Robot Masters) as jokes because the game was the Easy Mode of the entire series. Even the Megamix Manga had them go get jobs at an amusement park, which goes along with the "they're there to make money" bit.

Gyro Man was apparently made the way he is because fuck it, Wily ran out of money to build a jet engine and had to buy some propellors instead.

Honestly, as far as engineering itself goes, I'm more impressed he successfully made a robot out of wood.

Do you know how non-conductive that shit is supposed to be? As an engineering feat that honestly eclipses zero. Wily says "Fuck you physics" and makes shit happen just to keep to a theme!

Willy would take that nigger apart and repurpose him as Ultron Man.

That and one that could stop time.

> Wily was the superior robicist but light was the better AI man.

Huh.

Suddenly MMBN Makes much more sense.

And yet Wily's small 'taters to (Archie) Eggman who is an up and out psycho.

I really, really don't know if it's right to say Wily is the better roboticist, because, again, he STOLE so much shit and repurposed it over the years. If Protoman is where Robot masters came from in the first place, how much of Wily's creations are based on what Dr. Light came up with. Even if Wily helped him build the very first, it's still just helping the person who really got this all going.

>I don't have to
>BUT I WANT TO
Can't compare, man. Wily has motives, and backstory to his evil.
Eggman just IS.

Wily is the Engineer, Light is the scientist. He doesn't innovate but he can take it further. Zero is proof of that.

Does anybody else think Thomas loved Wily? I can't help but feel like Albert acts like a spurned lover more than anything.

>that tiny bit of hate saliva from Eggman

Pity that Eggman had to fuck it up by murdering Albert's husbando.

>small 'taters
I wouldn't go that far. Wily's life's work trumps Eggman's greatest creations.

The X timeline stuff is a mess. Zero can't be the sole carrier of the Maverick Virus because Maverick Hunters have to exist so that Sigma can be there to get infected by him. The entire concept of a Maverick Virus to begin with seems like it's a lie too for that matter.

Also Zero technically isn't a reploid but that's neither here nor there.

>reploids are mass produced with X's design as basis
>some reploids and mechaniloids malfunction or rebel and are dubbed Mavericks
>Maverick Hunter organization is founded
>Zero is found
>new virus is named Maverick Virus

I love that ponytail. One day Wily is going to build a super powerful robot with the intention of stuffing his virus brain into it. And he's going to also give that robot a ponytail and paint it red.

Zero is Wily's midlife crisis.

As I understand it, the pre-Sigma mavericks were just Reploids that started attacking people, no virus required. They were a result of Cain skipping X's 30-year moral simulations with the mass-produced Reploids.

Still can't believe this fucker is as fast as Sonic.

geez by that logic his mom is the greatest villain because she gave birth to him

YOU are just gay

That's kind of what I meant about the whole concept of a maverick "virus" being bullshit. Reploids are a slave race and once they rebel it's all "oh it must be due to some bug in their coding!" rather than the simple fact that they've got the free will to be assholes just like anyone else

Meanwhile X might as well not have free will because it's so constrained. "He can totally make his own decisions, but I'm not letting him out of this pod until he only ever chooses what I want"

It's not that, they have free will but are never taught that actions have consequences, or the sanctity of life, or all the other moral lessons you could have learned from old saturday morning cartoons and such. X going through 30 years worth of moral conditioning is to teach him all the facets of what it means to do good in the hopes that doing good is enticing enough for X to choose it on his own.

Yeah, the Maverick problem only went epidemic after the virus got involved. If Zero was never found the problem likely would have been about as widespread as modern-day serial killers.

As for X, even under the umbrella of 'don't be a killer' there's a lot of room for him to grow. The original series Robot Masters were literally unable to grow past whatever industrial job they were designed for, but X has that choice.

Also, at one point in the comic, Light muses that Rock and Roll are so well-adjusted because they had a period of quiet early in their life. It's possible the simulations were less brainwashing and more adolescence, a chance for X's mind to grow under peaceful circumstances.

A maverick is ANY reploid, infected or not, that doesn't follow humans' orders. Since all reploids are based on X and therefore have free will, any reploid could have always gone maverick at any time. The maverick virus just puts reploids under Sigma's control. And the Zero virus makes them just out and out psychotic.

so was there ever any particular reason that Zero was simply so much better than any other Reploid?

as far as we know he's the greatest fighter in the series, with only one potential exception, Megaman Trigger Purifier Unit First Class.

>Megaman Trigger Purifier Unit First Class
This guy gets it. Kudos!

Because Wily's creations were always better. Mega Man is only able to beat them because he can copy their powers. And his mega buster is actually a creation of Dr Cossack.

I remember a webcomic about a world where Light was the bad guy and Wily was the good guy.

Also Wily had an adopted lesbian daughter.

And there were angels. Who were pricks.

As others have said, Wily moreso wants to one-up Light more than anything else, but still has terrorism and kidnapping on his rap sheet (among other things), so he's not exactly blameless.
What about Roboenza? It seems like a blatant precursor to the Maverick Virus.