What does Sup Forums think of this film?

What does Sup Forums think of this film?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/tv/search/text/Genuinely don't get why people sucked this movie's dick so much./
thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/11/22/casey-affleck-s-dark-secret-the-disturbing-allegations-against-the-oscar-hopeful.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's great. Lonergan is one of the best American directors currently working.

michelle williams is super pretty
movie is sad as fuck
acting is amazing
movie is sad as Fuck

depressing as fuck

also the nephew is a faggot fuck that kid

Casey Afflecks wife fucks a nigger. When Casey Affleck gets home from going out to buy beer he sees a black man running away from his house. The house is on fire and he blames himself for letting black seed touch his whore of a wife. Moral of the story: Don't touch or sleep with niggers.

I've only seen La La Land out of the big oscar picture dealios so far - from this thread I can see I should watch this. Are any of the others worth watching?

Can we not have one thread without this? For once?

>where do you think we are.jpg

Best film of 2016 by far, absolutely zero "I'M ACTING" and genuinely funny situational humor.
Top notch writing, where other films would have 5 minute overwritten monologues from the main character, here it's all said in a single sentence.
Also comfy setting and voyeuristic framing and composition where you almost feel like you are eavesdropping on their conversation.

If it weren't for the occasional jarring cuts in editing and the Adagio in G minor in the police department scene, the film would be a literal 10/10.

Queerbaiting.

>from this thread I can see I should watch this

kek

Moonlight is the only nominee other than Manchester that is good.

Arrival is okay.

Rest are garbage.

>zero "I'M ACTING"

What's it like being faceblind?

~proott,ok, nothing spedcial

Genuinely don't get why people sucked this movie's dick so much.

First hour is good, but then it shits the bed with weak melodrama and by the end you realize that all the character buildup goes nowhere.

>Patrick
Daddy dies and he clearly has a shit family but he somehow doesn't seem to care. His mother is out of the picture for good (alcoholism/drugs), his grandparents are MIA, his only relative is his deadbeat uncle that he barely tolerates. He's a little asshole that wants things his own way and doesn't realize just how fucked up his life has become now that his sole breadwinner is dead and all his relatives are terrible.

>Lee
Interesting characterization up until the reveal, then pointless over-the-top melodrama.
I think it would've been a better story if it focused on the fact that he's a fucking alcoholic and that caused serious problems in his life. The magic reveal also doesn't explain why the entire town virtually loathes him. This ties into his ex-wife acting out the way she did at the end.

If it wasn't for George (boat guy) and his wife, the entire story would go nowhere.

George is there to help with the funeral
George is there to help with the boat
George and his wife is there to help Lee open up over his problems
George reluctantly decides to adopt Patrick.

At this point why even fucking bother with Lee if everything is solved offscreen by a one-dimensional character?

You invest in these characters' backstories and it just ends up going nowhere. Nothing is solved, people just talk, and a one-dimensional side character takes care of everything.

felt like bland melodrama with some good performances

Is this really what happens in it? That's hilarious. Giving Casey Affleck Best Actor the same year they awarded Niggerfaggot its gibmedat gong was nicely done.

Explain.

There's a cunt on here who likes this shit and posts the same posts on it again and again, but it looks like he's asleep, OP, so you're going to have to fap alone.

>movie comes out to good reviews
>it's a sci-fi film
>LE UNDER DUH RADAR
>SO EBIN
>EPIC CINEMATOGYRHPHY

>movie comes out to great reviews
>it's a drama
>I DUN GET WHY SO GUD REVIEWZ
>DUH STORY
>DUH ENDING
>DUH PLOT
>LOOK AT ME SAY THING DAT HAPPENED IN THE PLOT ME SAY IT BAD CUZ DUH THING I WANT HAPPEN DINT HAPPEN

Fucking idiot fucking genreplebs shut the fuck up.

Manchester by the Sea is dishonest filmmaking, though. Lee and Patrick had a massive amount of sexual tension which was never followed through with.

I wouldn't say it goes nowhere.
The ending shows one shred of hope for Lee with him getting an extra room in his apartment for Patrick and wanting to see him again. The ending shot on the boat is similar to the opening shot on the boat.
He will never recover and forgive himself for what he has done, but there is progress in his character because of Patrick.

Also that baseball exchange at the end summarizes their whole relationship in just one scene, where Lee says "just let it go" but Patrick doesn't let go of the ball and keeps throwing it back at him until he keeps it.

As for why does the entire town loath Lee, it's because he burnt the house down with the kids in it while drunk and on drugs AND he went for more beer to the store. Yes all of that could've happened even if he wasn't drunk or high, not putting on the firescreen is a simple mistake anyone could make, but the town clearly thinks it happened just because he was drunk and irresponsible.

Why have you posted this 8 times, according to 4plebs?

looks shooped, i thought this was a realist movie

same reason why you posted this 2 times already, I think it answers your question about it and all the usual questions of "nothing happens in the end wtf"

So (((they))) gave him the Oscar for playing a cuck in the same year as they cucked La La Land, a real movie, with spade garbage? Gets the old gray matter working.

I didn't post it 2 times already, but you admitted that you posted all the previous copies of that. I just wanted to smoke you out, you shill.

No, that is not what actually happened you fucking retards.

archive.4plebs.org/tv/search/text/Genuinely don't get why people sucked this movie's dick so much./
You made a whole thread with it.

It's a brilliant film. Makes you feel, which is what good cinéma is supposed to do.

DUDE! BARSTAN! LMAO XD

That wasn't me, I just cut-and-pasted it.

What really happened? Did Lonegan plagiarize The Straight Story?

We didn't even see p-in-v, so No Sale. Sorry Casey, you ain't the Bat and you ain't All That, time to get your white ass outta here.

What I didn't get was, why did the cops not shoot him when he went for the gun?

>Casey Affleck
>Casey

Are you serious? The two movies have literally nothing in common.

Have you seen Manchester? Is this a joke? I honestly can't think of a single similarity between the two.

Massive trainwreck that starts great but repeats itself to the point of boredom especially when it ends without any real meningful conclusion to the relationship between the uncle and nephew.

People talk about SJW pandering, but making this guy our tragic hero was a total pander to the neckbeard demographic. I guess people don't see their own delusion.

Well that's even more embarassing then, atleast form your own arguments and points, not leeching from others.

>First hour is good, but then it shits the bed with weak melodrama and by the end you realize that all the character buildup goes nowhere.

That's the point you big dumbo.

No matter how hard he tries, he can't beat it. There are many parts of the film where you expect to see the redemption of his character, but it never comes. He fucked up and his children are dead, you cannot come back from that.

Because 1) He was clearly attempting suicide and 2) He was under investigation as a suspect

Watch The Straight Story again, Alvin's backstory is Lee's.

It's a small town, everyone knows everyone and it was clear that he went to off himself, not to shoot up the whole place.

I made it quite clear why I did it, son.

Wow, so the one sequence in which he discusses his past somehow equates the two movies as being similar? Are you a literal retard? The actual plot of Straight Story has nothing to do with Manchester.

Jesus christ you are embarrassing.

If you watched this movie you are a rapist by default

>being a waste of time was part of their plan

See, that's not my idea of an evening's stimulation.

But when people attempt suicide by cop, they usually get their wish. For all they know, he was going to shoot his way out. It's usually an instinct with trained officers, if a perp tries that shit, he's getting a body shot at least.

I wish Kyle Chandler was in more shit. He is pure dad-kino.

The undercurrent of those experiences is powerful and disquieting throughout the Lynch film, it's not merely a one sequence throwaway. The themes are also heavily related - guilt, family, redemption, trauma, the need to survive.

Threadly reminder that Casey Affleck's family made their millions from slave-trading.

Literally /ourguy/

Not too similar. I'm sure Lonigan has read Montaigne's thoughts on plagiarism.

Terrible, great reverse pleb filter though

Just to step outside the movie for a second, do you think Affleck has enjoyed of Williams' sweet body?

Melodrama is the worst form of art.

Do I need to watch this dull, depressing looking flick just because of that, though?

I disagree. Melodrama that pretends not to be melodrama is the worst form of art.

I thought it was fantastic before I knew his family were ape herders. He earned that Best Actor win.

i know reality is inconvenient for a lot of you, but if you read the following article and still don't think casey affleck did anything wrong you're fucked up

thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/11/22/casey-affleck-s-dark-secret-the-disturbing-allegations-against-the-oscar-hopeful.html

But to me it looks like CRUMBLING SHIT FROM A DOG'S DISTEMPERED ANUS, are you saying I have to BITE AND CHEW THIS SHIT just because the Afflecks TRADED COON?

She looks all busted now, I'd rather fap to Blue Valentine.

saltburn by the sea

What class of people were these guys? They didn't seem to have money but they didn't seem poor either. They had a boat. Okay it was a shit boat.

And the kid wasn't mocked for being poor. He looked really popular.

Working Class is like Malcolm in the middle where they were dogshit poor and couldn't afford to have a boat.

Middle class is like Modern Family.

So what were they in this? It's very confusing.

I think the movie is about acceptance, at its core. Acceptance of your situation, your past, your limitations, and how not everything is gonna have this fairytale ending. Once you accept these things, you can find a better situation. Like he did with his nephew. It wasn't perfect, but it was a start.

No adult needs to be told that though, and Lee's cartoonishly dreadful experiences are hardly a good illustration of what life throws at people.

It's Kenneth Lonergan's abstract, privileged playwright's idea of blue-collar.

>sexual tension
>being an emotionally shattered mess meeting up with your ex wife who feels terrible for you

>using an article from fucking dailybeast written by a women as fact
Fuck you.

As for the case
>teasing and making bad jokes with a female coworker
>female coworker happens to be the producer and acts like she and her whole family have been brutally raped and tormented by Casey
>sued in CIVIL court, not brought under charges in criminal court I.e. the burden of proof is fucking nothing
>Casey immediately countersues but it's pointless
>no evidence were shown nor did any evidence ever show up afterwards
>the case was settled outside of court, meaning they got money out of him
>the last thing actual rape victims want is money

But sure be a part of the delusional uninformed twitter whores are still whining like he raped them and beat their family on the side too, while it was just slightly inappropriate teasing and joking around. You read a news headline on the Internet and took it as a fact, don't be such an ignorant sub intelligent degenerate please.
False accusations are a scary thing.

I meant with Patrick.

>Accurate accusations are a scary thing for me, a guy who admires and wishes he could emulate rapers.

ftfy

I wouldn't call it cartoonish. His kids died. I wish that kind of thing was cartoonish. Either way, I think the movie sets you up to desperately want things to work out, and to have that happy ending. Then it settles you into the reality: it can't work. Then you realize maybe it's for the best.

kek

So it's an upper class person's idea of what being a working class person is like? That, actually makes sense and may be why I was so confused by these people. Not their emotions, but just their social standings.

Could you please be less crass here? People's kids do die, yes, and the grief often kills them. People's kids don't usually get killed in infernos they caused. It makes the news when that shit happens. It's cartoonish.

Bingo.

For real, take another look at the movie. Patrick is testing his boundaries at several points. I was waiting to see Lee take him with the hunger of a man tempted too long. But it was just your standard Hollywood queerbaiting.

>Accurate accusations
Please provide a single shread of evidence for that.

Also honestly fuck you, I hope someone someday accusses your son or anyone close for sexual assault/rape just so you see how fucking scary false allegations are.
A simple "user on trial for sexual assault" newspaper headline is enough for literally everyone to be convinced that you actually did it and that you need to be hanged in public, the evidence or the outcome of the trial doesn't matter at all at that point, your whole social and work life is fucked for good no matter what you do anymore if you are a normal everyday guy.

Go watch The Hunt please.

Not sure what you mean by crass, lol. And I still wouldn't call it cartoonish. Uncommon, sure, but things like that happen. And since it's film, why not make it about something uncommon.

Isn't The Hunt about an accurately accused guy, though? Good b8.

>Explaining his objective, Lonergan said, "I don't like the fact that, nowadays, it feels like it's not permissible to leave something unresolved... Some people live with their trauma for years. I'm not interested in rubbing people's faces in suffering... But I don't like this lie that everybody gets over things that easily. Some people can't get over something major that's happened to them at all; why can’t they have a movie too?"
That's why the movie went the way it went. It left a void in it, like you wish he had taken the million possible ways he could have started a new life and get over his grief. The movie shows them at you and you can clearly see them; he can't (Or he can, but chooses not to take them). Sometimes people can't, and don't want, to get things over

I mean that making out that I don't understand how sad life can be, when you're talking about an anvil-drop of an incident in a movie, is pretty cheap.

A movie that presents as realistic shouldn't have to be defended by appealling to movies' licence to depict fantasies.

>"I'm not interested in rubbing people's faces in suffering", smirked The Joker from his Malibu penthouse today.

Shure.

>I'm not interested in rubbing people's faces in suffering

Does he even watch his movies.

>I was waiting to see Lee take him with the hunger of a man tempted too long

kek

My dad died because of an anvil drop you fucking piece of shit

kek

I wanted to see him fuck her.

That's bullshit though. I'm not watching a movie to see exactly what life is.

I can experience life just fine. I watch movies to go through a complete narrative and character arc. There's nothing complete about leaving things unresolved.

What an idiot. Go play video games.

This is the sequel to gone girl

think about it

>I can experience life just fine.

This. It seems like the movie mainly made an impact on young people who have little life experience, who maybe never watched a drama before.

bump

>I'm not watching a movie to see exactly what life is. I can experience life just fine.
But you most likely didn't experience fighting in trenches in a war for your life. You most likely didn't experience someone slaughtering your entire family. And you most likely didn't experience the utter guilt and depression from burning all 3 of your kids alive on accident.
But you can atleast get a taste of any of these situations through film. Film is not just about alien planets and monsters you know.

You seem to be assuming that that person doesn't have better taste than you. This seems baseless.

>muh freezer

It's good.

That's not Mahershali

what's that?