Why is this guy, Monty Oum praised so much?

Why is this guy, Monty Oum praised so much?
I remember when the first episode of rwby came out, the generals were shitting on the guy for not accepting criticism and acting like an insufferable final fantasy edgelord.
I didn't catch up after the first season and didn't bother with seasons 2 and 3. Did he do something redeemable? Was it because he died people are giving him pity sympathy?

Also isn't a rumor going around that he stole some touhou model parts?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cL-mR79GErU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

But then he died.

that's it though?
I can see reddit crying, but mods made a sticky just for him
is he really that big?

Have you even watched RWBY? Or anything else the guy made?

Motherfucker was the greatest action choreographer to ever live! He also learned everything he needed for his work by himself. And let's not forget how he created RWBY and brought independ animation production to new heights with Rooster Teeth. There's aspects to RWBY that beat anything "proffessional" on TV and cinemas. No serialized indelendent animated production accomplished that before.

So to recap: motherfucker was an artistic and technical genius who paved the way for all future independent animation.

He made some very stylish but kinda pointless fan videos featuring famous video game characters and parlayed that into a career animating pointlessly stylish fight scenes in a dumb Halo parody cartoon which gave birth to his shitty CG anime that represented only the most broad and shallow stylistic tendencies of the most generic anime

I'm no fan, but he certainly succeeded at what he was doing.

So he excels at being derivative and generic?
That's something I guess.

I dunno if excel is the right word, but he made stuff that people liked

RWBY is the cg web series equivalent of Fairy Tail

So I watched his work on Red Vs Blue

Nice fights as always, but his weightless fast movment type does not work for the heavy power armours of the Halo characters. Also somehow he seems to forgett the series rote, like when one of the AI fragmets says that Omega is the strongest of the AI.

well, at least Fairy Tail doesn't literally plagiarize

You speak as if there aren't a lot of bunny girls in a high school setting

look at the hair strands,
bangs
nigga that's clearly stolen

great artists steal meme, not even once

It doesn't matter what the overall opinion of his work is, it has enough popularity to support itself. He's kind of self-made in that way, he's kind of like the stephanie meyer of animation if she died right as 50 shades got really popular.

pic related as someone who also spent their entire life rolling shit together

Velvet was designed by a fan who won a contest.

Seeing how montys bunnygirl has her ears up while the other does not then it's not stolen.

now you're just rusin'
the idea maybe original, but what is not original is stealing assets

He was somewhat famous before that. Most of his old work was on GameTrailers, not sure if its all still there, some of it he took down himself.

He started with edited fight scenes using modified models of characters from 2D fighters, but got some renown when he made Haloid.

youtube.com/watch?v=cL-mR79GErU

After that he did Dead Fantasy, a series of Dead or Alive girls fighting Final Fantasy girls. Its pretty fun, and starts to get something of a vague story to it.

He kinda disappeared for a bit, then got hired by Rooster Teeth. Did some stuff for them, and made RWBY. And yes it is pretty generic anime rip off, its not bad, and it has some truly amazing action scenes. Thats always been his main focus, badass action scenes. Especially if he can do so with hot female characters.

Dude had fun doing what he loved to do, and made a career out of it, and helped and encouraged others to do the same, without taking himself too seriously. Those are a lot of admirable qualities.

We will never see the end of dead fantasy

it maybe good to a non artfag viewer
but to me... its too mediocre to receive that amount of praise

nothing wrong with mediocre, but I don't really like it when people give out A's for efforts.
That could lead to other companies etc. being lazy and just shitting out shit because 'fans will love it anyways'.

You speak like someone who has no idea how hard it is to do 3D animation by yourself.

Not to mention that Haloid is over ten years old. And he proceeded to improve continuously down the line. Some people critisize RWBY's looks, but its an artistic choice.

Weeb as fuck sure, but thats the creators choice.

Bait.

>And yes it is pretty generic anime rip off, its not bad

It's shit, friend.

iktfb. We'll never know what he was gonna do with Ryu and Cloud and everyone he was adding/teasing

Those are what first got me into his work.

Then the HaloXSamus video, and his super John Woo-esque

his music videos for Gee and that Mariah Carey song were good too

It's common to never speak ill of the dead.

And I for one like the plan he had. Season 1 and 2 were so poorly recieved because they weren't made for 20-something's, they were made for 14 and 15 year olds. By season 3, his target audience would be 16-17 and thus ready for darker stuff.

He's basically doing what Harry Potter did. Yeah, his 3D models suck, but he at least had a plan and stuck with it.

Harry Potter was stronger as a book about wee children than it was about horny angsty teens though

Although that may be people losing the nerve to say no to Rowling as her riches and power amassed

You'd fit right in in China with that mentality.

dude, that doesn't make it void of criticism
you can't just have some guy make something, it turns out shit and say its good. that would be so disingenuous and dishonest.

also most people or everyone works hard.

this sounds harsh but I think its important to criticize things objectively regardless of background; maybe acknowledge the background a little.

eh, he did improve but its really really slow. I saw some of his quotes on twitter backlashing criticism or saying how its bad

I feel like monty would of been someone better if it weren't for his hugbox environment.

>Why is this guy, Monty Oum praised so much?
Since when? He still gets criticized for some of his story/choreography choices, even in RWBY threads so I don't know what you're talking about.

Either bait or you really haven't seen much.

The thing about criticism is that you have to factor in what type of work it is. Animation is a pain in the ass to work with, 3D animation even more so.