How is this movie?

How is this movie?

reddit

Amazing. Watch it by yourself in the dark.

Cost 20 grand to make. I dunno where the other 18 grand went.

Overrated as fuck. I'm not saying it's bad or anything, it most certainly has its merits. My problem begins with the fact that it's simply not that scary. It's 3 people arguing in the woods for most of the time. Now I'm not saying you need to see ghosts to have a scary film, because you don't. I am saying they gave us very little in terms of scares. I'm aware the witch was making them go in circles, which was cool, but you don't feel the witches presence in the movie enough. In Candyman, The Exorcist, Dracula, etc, you can feel the antagonists in every scene, watching over everyone. You know they're there. You don't get that in The Blair Witch and it suffers because of it.

>you can feel the antagonists in every scene, watching over everyone.

are you saying that the fucking woods aren't a great antagonist?

More of a psychological horror than you'd expect. Very realistic portrayal of the characters, albeit fucking annoying at that (the girl is by far the worst).
Nothing is scary, but that's normal. Its atmosphere is slowly building itself up by becoming more tense and supernatural without becoming all too unrealistic.
To me, it's more of a character piece than an actual horror film. It's well done, even if its characters are very unlikeable. Very interesting.

Not really, it wouldn't have been as successful otherwise. It's well done, the antagonits is basically nature itself.
However, I agree with you about it being not scary. I wouldn't even categorize it as a horror movie if it weren't for the ending and the tropes generally used in horror.

As a movie, it's pretty fine. Kinda.

The woods were a better antagonist in Evil Dead, desu senpai.

I will continue to shit on The Blair Witch Project for as long as I live. Not because it's bad, but because it's so unbelievably overrated. How in the fuck did anyone in 1999 think:

>"Wow, the Jews have given a major release for found footage of 3 people dying"

Anyone that believed it was legit back in the day is stupid. Blair Witch isn't our guy.

they didn't have digital cameras back then

by far the best found footage movie and one of the greatest horror movies in general.
the didn't go found footage because they're cheap assholes, like 100% of all found footage movie producers nowadays are. they chose the style because it fit the story and it did so perfectly. it's the authenticity that makes the movie so fucking scary.
go.
watch.
it.

The antagonist is the witch, unless you believe the theory that the 2 guys set the girl up to kill her. In The Exorcist, you can almost feel the demon's ghost listening and watching over the priests every move. Preparing itself for when the bigger exorcism happens. You don't get that kind of feeling in Blair Witch and by all means - you should.

Like you said, they're unlikable and it's not as psychological as it should be. I feel like it's maybe the acting's fault. When I watch Repulsion, I see the character really breaking down. I didn't fully see that in BWP.

when it is scary, its pretty scary though. The ending and the girl screaming WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT as she runs through the woods are two of my favorite horror movie moments.
I find Witches scary in general though

I saw it at a sold out theater at 1 in the afternoon on a hot summer day. Kind of ruined the experience for me because I thought it sucked, thats probably partially why.

I need to rewatch it, but here's what I gathered:
>Evil isn't something we may control, or even fully comprehend
>Abuse nature enough, and it'll strike back
>Our paths are not our own

All in all, it's a very subliminal movie made as believable it could've been
In terms of horror, it certainly delivers
Its atmosphere is slowly turned from an innocent trip to a malevolent nightmare, without even showing an evil bad monster

You know, people want to believe. Similiar to Paranormal Activity whose premise also relies on its authenticity. The first one, anyways.
They want to believe because it makes it all the more scarier, which is why they go to see the movie. It seems realistic enough. That does not mean they don't actually know it's legit.
But sure, some actually did think this way. Many people just do not understand much about the filmmaking process, law, etc. Usually working class, sometimes also middle class.

>the antagonist is the witch
Ay, but she is only kind of there and the woods / nature represent her for the most part.
Blair Witch Project ends abruptly and it doesn't have much of an aim besides finding said witch. It becomes more tense and then... that is it. I think it's fine for this kind of movie, as it slowly tears on you and you never know what did happen. What will happen afterwards.
Basically, the entire movie is jus the witch fucking with them for a bit. It's never a lot, but enough to slowly fuck up their minds. Especially because they got lost and would not survive for too long. You don't really know if anything is ever gonna happen or not, that was what tearing them / the viewer apart.
Works for this kind of movie. Also funny how you basically get teased for 70 min straight without ever getting anything out of it. It feels like one of the suspense scenes in a horror where you know something is gonna happen... and you wait... wait... and there it is. At the end.

But I get what you're saying. But to me, it's not in the same category as other horror movies. Or horror in general. Just some film about teenagers getting lost in the woods and receiving mental stimulation before they suddenly die.

>not as psychological as it should be
True, the biggest mistake was not giving them a lot of character. The acting was fine as is. Oh, although, they barely even gotten any script to begin with. That does show. The girl's breakdown was pretty realistic.

*that does not mean they think it's legit

>Also funny how you basically get teased for 70 min straight without ever getting anything out of it. It feels like one of the suspense scenes in a horror where you know something is gonna happen... and you wait... wait... and there it is. At the end.

That's mostly my problem, too. It started that trend. You see it in Paranormal Activity and a bunch of other found footage movies. It's super lazy to me. I was hoping TBWP would be more like the ending for a larger chunk of the runtime.

A genuinely brilliant movie. The "script" and dialogue are wonderfully natural, the acting is absolutely phenomenal (Donahue's performance is amazing), and the atmosphere is stunning. It successfully pulls off being scary without using cheap tricks like jumpscares.
I don't believe that anyone who watches it alone, in the dark, and really thinks about the characters can think it's a bad movie.

>The antagonist is the witch
Probably but you can be never fully sure, that's point of the movie, you're never fully sure wtf happened

It's a big time horror pleb filter

The question here is, how bad is this?

Main chick is a qt

>tfw you will never have that 90's blair witch hype and the experience it for the first time in the cinema with no internet to spoil it for you

i had that experience... it was comfy as fuck

I personally think constantly rewarding tension with some jumpscare massively ruins the mysticism and general atmosphere there's supposed to be

I'm watching a movie, not riding a rollercoaster
There are movies like Insidious which pulls off the rollercoaster horror perfectly fine, but mostly it's just predictable non-authentic whack

Not awful but it makes no attempt at presenting itself as found footage.

It's blatantly paranormal. Anyone that says otherwise is memeing.

One of the scariest and most influential horror movies ever.

It's a great movie. Great atmosphere and does a fantastic job at build-up.

For those who haven't seen it, I HIGHLY suggest you watch the made-for-TV documentaries that came out to hype the movie: Curse of the Blair Witch and The Burkettsville Seven.

They help establish the lore and are pretty interesting, too.

Has absolutely no right being a Blair Witch movie, and the forced connection brings it down a ton.

If they removed the bookends and the few mentions of muh sister, it'd make a great alien abduction horror movie.

One of the few horror flicks I've seen where I hoped and prayed all the characters would die as quickly and painfully as possible. A real piece of shit.

Genuinely one of my favourite horror movies of all time. Consistent atmosphere that gets more and more oppressive over time, fantastic build up of dread, perfectly executed ambiguity - they worked so amazingly well around their limitations, they relied on reticence and obscurity that you very very rarely see in horror movies. I fucking love it, leagues beyond the later slew of found footage that the likes of Paranormal Activity created (even though I think the first PA is actually pretty well executed).

The only "found footage" movie that isn't utter trash is grizzly man, deal with it.

Absolutely terrible. It's like its idea of what The Blair With Project is about was based on negative reviews of the original movie.

>where were all the monsters?
>where were the special effects?
>where was the explanation?

is everyone getting that this is a patrician film now? just look at these responses to it

My interpretation of the ending is that Josh was possessed or otherwise influenced by the witch to kill Heather and Mike. The house at the end was either a manifestation or a time warp like the 2016 movie suggests.

>The house at the end was either a manifestation or a time warp like the 2016 movie suggests.

No. The house is a physical place. Forget everything in the 2016 movie. The house was an actual place that they went to. It's even explained in the beginning of the movie when they interview people and in the Burketsville Seven faux-docu.

Whether or not Josh was "possessed" is up to interpretation, but the house isn't a "time warp" or "manifestation".

>It's 3 people arguing in the woods for most of the time
big brother type imbeciles screeching at each other you mean. Anyone who can tolerate that shit is an imbecile themselves with zero taste or experience with horror movies. Ghostbusters 3 was scarier, way better and that was pure shit too.