Listen to a lot of professional writers' podcasts

>listen to a lot of professional writers' podcasts
>everyone mentions their comics influences
>absolutely no one brings up anime or manga

Have western comics won, Sup Forums? I feel like the only people who bring up anime and manga these days are LPers and game designers.

Other urls found in this thread:

nerdist.com/the-writers-panel-284-pulp-page-to-tv-panel/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Well Manga are outselling Comics by a large margin, so no.
There's simply a lack of two way influence, and just in those particular podcasts.
There HAVE to be a good amount of western artists who admire anime and manga, there are definitely a ton of animators who do.

Wait until you see this batch of writers get replaced by the next generation and you'll start hearing about (and seeing) more manga influences in western books.

>Well Manga are outselling Comics by a large margin, so no.

huh, I thought manga sales in the west died down after the mid 2000s boom.

It just felt weird listening to all these creative writers who work in tv and film talk about how unique Bojack Horseman is for being a dramatic animated series.

um Frank Miller

It's a generation thing i think. There are a bunch of guys at Image who are into manga.

Writers aren't influenced by manga/anime. Animators and storyboard artists are.

Fuck off

Manga's advantages are in areas other than writing, especially if you don't read japanese

>Have western comics won, Sup Forums?
lol what

One Piece is still the most popular manga and it sells an absurd amount. It helps though that Western comics don't sell as much, American stuff in particular.
Literal who comics in Italy sell more than Batman

Manga writers just suck butt

Just think, in another generation people will be saying
>I look up to Bendis

>Literal who comics in Italy sell more than Batman
This made me kek but I would also like to see some proof, my man.

nah. Manga and anime popularity peaked 10 years ago. We see it's influence now and we are going to see it in the future, but it is not going to become more prevalent then it already is. And considering this is the age of comic book movies, it is far more likely we will see a stronger influence of western comics in the next generation of creators.

nerdist.com/the-writers-panel-284-pulp-page-to-tv-panel/

it's already happening

It really depends, I mean Brandon Graham is certainly interested in manga but look at what he creates, it's obvious with Island.

But would Sydner or Bendis give a shit? Not at all.

For the life of me I can't find it.
All I remember was it was some long running Italian adventure comic I think.

I did find out that Asterix trades seem to sell more than the average Batman trade though.

Italian here and I think you are talking about Ratman, its a parody of the superhero genre who really works well. I can't see the appeal outside national borders but it is well regarded here.

Tex Willer

Are there any comics where Superman being stupidly overpowered is used for comedy like in One Punch Man?

kinda, not counting silver age superdickery

I really wish Superman's powers were as interesting as his personality. It's boring whenever he's fighting anything because he's too strong, but I love getting to see him just being a good person.

The eastern influence has been a thing since Frank Millar/Stan Sakai, and later by Jim Lee/Joe Madureira. Nearly everyone by the 00s has been influenced by manga to some degree - it's just when you mention "what are your comic influences?", most people are going to stick to giving Western comics-centric answers.

That and some artists still stick to a house style to save time, and that's largely rooted in Kirby/Buscema.

Someone needs to post that Jojo ripoff

>ENEMY STAND!

Not the writing, I believe Frank was just buying untranslated manga and looking at art for inspiration.

look at it this way, Japan is influenced by us so it seems to go both ways.

Example this manga about a weeb nigger wanting to go to Japan to meet his favorite mascot only to cross multiple gangs and other mischief

I did an interview with a story director awhile back, he slated Robotech as one of his main influences.

The issue is that the sort of manga that tend to inspire creative types in the west is quite different than the sort of stuff that's popular on places like Sup Forums.

That's about to change, white boy.

Thank you, for some reason I kept thinking cowboys.

>she is currently writing and exec producing Skydance's Netflix drama Altered Carbon

I heard the book was shit by my friend, but a netflix series might actually be good

I thought people liked DBZ, One Piece and JJBA.

Yeah, it's a comic about cowboys, so you were not far from it.

Your friend has bad taste or he can't handle a bit of politic in his science-fiction. It's a science-fiction thriller with interesting main characters, an interesting background, a compelling mystery, well written actions scenes and even a well written sex scene.

JJBA only recently got popular in the US due to the anime

The artists/writer is a black US American, I think.

>and even a well written sex scene.
Not sure if talking about Altered Carbon or SAO.

I was setting up for a bad joke but I need to sleep so

>recently popular
>JJBA
>on Sup Forums of all places
Yeah, not worth the time. You're like one of those company wars trolls only you have a fixation on Sup Forums.

>Your friend has bad taste
Richard Morgan is an overrated hack riding off the ignorance most people have for 80s-90's anime OVA and manga cyberpunk.

He's cribbing from Shirow on one hand and J.G Ballard in the other and fails to be as good as either.

He's the John Oliver of 'gritty' sci-fi.

Mangas are 99% shit. People who still watch One piece (of shit) or Dragon ball collect dead racoons on the highway but are not not head of million dollar projects like cartoons.

I'm sorry but can you say that again, except not as retarded

Except most manga writers, whathever the genre they are writing can plan many volumes ahead when in comics a lot seems to write 6 chapters arc after 6 chapters arc while not really thinking about an overarching story.

Kaori Yuki said to her editor Angel Sanctuary would last 20 volumes when she pitched it and guess what? She did 20 volumes. In Monster, a character in delirium says sentences in volume 4 that are explained in volume 14 when the story gets there. (And I can tell you it's really planed as opposed to Nick Fury wispering in Thor's ear). Even in Naruto, that author drew Naruto associated to a toad, Sasuke to a snake and Sakura to a slug has early as the 4th chapter cover. The first giant toad appears in the volume 10.

And I don't think there are a lot of writers who could make Bakuman, a story about teenagers wanting to make manga professionally and revolving almost only around conversations, interesting.

Everybody is influenced by previous authors. I know Shirow and I still enjoy Morgan's novels. And being influence or not being as good as the bests don't make someone a hack.

narutard detected.

>Wanting to admit you are inspired by tentacle rape, guro, beach episodes, and shonen-style power level inflation
I'd never claim anime as an influence. It's a childish medium for real-life Eltingville Club types

Most of this has nothing to do with planing ahead. They just refered to something they did earlier. There is no arc just continuity.

Actually anime and manga tend to have far more mature story telling than comics and especially cartoons. Sure, there's lots of dreck, but on the other hand, nothing any western animation studio has ever done can compete with Ghibli either.

>Kaori Yuki said to her editor Angel Sanctuary would last 20 volumes when she pitched it and guess what? She did 20 volumes

You give to much credit to that number.
She also said she didn't know how it would end. So throwing a number in the room and then sticking to it doesn't mean she planned everything from the beginning.

You say those first two things as though Johnny Ryan isn't inking a comic RIGHT. NOW.

It's just a completely different way these 2 industries work in general. In western comics, very few artists are able to make a living with an ongoing comic that is completely their own story. The vast majority work for companies that tell them exactly what to do.

In Japan, manga is a very individual thing. You do the story that YOU want to tell and if it has potential, it gets published and if it becomes successful, it becomes an ongoing. That type of industry tends to breed creativity and the willingness to experiment and plan ahead far moreso than the comic industry in the west.

Artists often bring up Akira.

reminder that manga IS comics.

>anime and manga are soooooooooooooooooooo mature
>believe it!

What a pointless and misleading argument.

Welcome to Sup Forums, Marcus.

>guro
you saying that on a board dedicated to Castrato Fantasy Wrestling comics.

American comics are just in kind of a sad state desu

>popular on places like Sup Forums.

Thankfully moéshit is confined there.

>SAO
>inspiring

What? I wasn't referring to just Sup Forums, I mean the west in general

I dunno man, if I could pick between Diamond's model of guaranteed income and Bonelli's free market model, I'd take the cash.

Also
>third place is a woman character who has a long-running solo series that isn't connected to any other of the company's popular series in any way.
Yeah, Diamond fucked the US market pretty hard.

>American writers are inspired by other American writers and not people from across the ocean
Anyway Japan must be doing something right considering some of their live action anime adaptations get critical acclaim in international film festivals like Cannes.

>*anime*
I meant manga.

That is the most casual thing i have read in this board.

>Have western comics won, Sup Forums?

They won when the first Superman movie was created. They pushed even further than manga ever will since the Avengers was released.

>SAO
>Good

>You do the story that YOU want to tell

Only if it sells enough. If not, you are kinda trapped with your editor and the publishers mandates.

Truth is his powers are as boring as his personality.

You don't know anything about story telling.

Oh good, this thread again.
I see Sup Forums's mods are once again doing their jobs and quelling any obvious shitposts.

They don't do it for the same reason nobody mentions He-man or Power Rangers. It was popular but also shit and adults feel ashamed for their younger selves.

Anybody can gain lots of brouzoufs by writing a easy to read novel filled with waifus for lowest common denominator.

If that is not isn't inspirong i don't know what is.

Also if they are thinking about SAO then somebody might think about Log Horizon and it can be transferred to USA/Europe without too much trouble and actually has potential to be good

Also you see Akira, Ghost in the Shell and GUNNM mentioned all the time.

Isn't that from the 666th issue of Action Comics? I think I remember that.

Nah, he's white, born in the US, grew up in Argentina, then eventually worked in Japan.

>he said on a board with a SU and Loud House general

Like which?

>thread on how to improve Sup Forums gets shut down
>useless faggot modcunts let this kind of shit slide

Well meme'd

You sure showed him, user.

Planning ahead has literally nothing to do with whether someone sucks as a writer or not which is what that user said

Can't we just agree that 99% of everything is awful and appreciate the good stuff for once?
We can shit on anime all fucking day, but is anybody here actually going to say they don't enjoy things like Cowboy Bebop or Redline or Magnetic Rose?
Anime can be great just like cartoons and comics can be great. But it's important to remember that for every Hellboy or Batman the Animated Series, you got a dozen Squirrelgirl's and TeenTitans Go's. Pointing out the worst of one genre doesn't excuse the worst of another, it's all just bad.
So instead of arguing about all this inconsequential bullshit again for the hundredth time, maybe we should just shut the fuck up and not take the bait.

I bet Hollywood screenwriters don't talk up international movies that much either

But directors and cinematographers sure as shit do

Old Boy
Our Little Sister
Lady Snowblood

Mongul says hi.

Our threads and posters have nothing to do with the creators of the shows.

You don't know anything about manga/anime. They usually do the design first and then write a plot about it.

>>huh, I thought manga sales in the west died down after the mid 2000s boom.

True, but they still outsell most western comics.

SAO. The "Twilight" of anime and light novels.

>incest anime
Perfect for Americans

So what is Log Horizon then ? iZombie ?

Can you even have creepy supernatural romance done right ?

get ready for WB's opm cinematic universe by zack snyder since they are in talks for opm live action rights

>I've only ever seen shitty moe anime, hentai, and shonen shit
>I think I can speak on anime as a whole

>Can you even have creepy supernatural romance done right ?
No, actually. I'm pretty sure it's just a shitty genre.

>Have Western comics won.

Ask any ten people off the street if they know who Superman. Then ask those same people if they know who Goku is. Odds are more people will know Superman.

Don't a lot of runs by comic book writers do this exact same thing?

Morrison does it all the time. So does Johns.

This is not unique to manga.

>huh, I thought manga sales in the west died down after the mid 2000s boom.
That doesn't matter. The sales of manga in Japan alone is bigger than the sales of western comics in the world.

Manga is a much, much larger industry than western comics is.

To add to my point, look at the yearly top selling volumes in Japan. The big two would literally kill to get those numbers on anything.

maybe Big Two should start selling weekly magazines instead of floppies

Isn't that kind of weird though?

It's no doubt that in the west, USA specifically, anyone who is older than 4 knows who Superman is.

But thats not translating to comic sales in any real way.

What's your favourite mango Sup Forums?

Excel Saga