Who did it best?

Who did it best?

Miller's Batman is literally infinitely superior to Morrison's Superman. There's no comparison.

Millar is an edgelord who has to bring down other heroes to make batman look good. Morrison at least tries to make everyone be a superhero not a brooding dickbag.

AS is good, but Year One is still one of my all time favorite comics bar none. It says "Batman" in the title, but I always felt is was more of Jim Gordon's Oddysey, his struggle to be a better man in a cruel reality.

Morrison and it's not even a contest.

miller a shit

Morrison did a better Superman AND Batman than Miller did.

ASS is the best thing there.

I give it props of being one of the few books where Jim isn't just that guy Batman talks to before fixing everything.

All Star Superman. And he didn't even had to make one hero look like shit for the other one to look good.

ASS>TDKR>YO>AC

Fuck it, I've never read TDKR. I just found it and I'm going to give it a read. Why not? I'll report back when I'm done reading it, assuming this thread is still here.

I've read everything else in the OP though. Honestly from what I've read, Morrison's Superman work and it's not even close. I love Year One to death but Miller isn't as strong of a writer as Morrison and he really is guilty of wanking off Batman to ridiculous levels sometimes.

TDKR is pretty shit.

>Miller isn't as strong of a writer as Morrison

This is just objectively false.

It's good, Sup Forums loves to be contrarian. That being said, it isn't the end-all the media and normies act like it is. It's just a good story. Year One was phenomenal.

His story in it is extremely human, yet at the same time it somehow keeps him as a well-intentioned figure. His affair is probably the defining sequence of the book for me, because it shows his struggle with his moral center amidst the chaos around him.

Don't make me laugh.

Normies actually hate DKR because Jim Lee didn't draw it, and Batman being a fascist mary sue and Miller is a fascist racist misogynist Trump voter.

Morrison's Batman sucks though

Miller did, but only due to Rags Morales.

Was Grant doing AC a deliberate mirror to yo and TDKR/ he seems like he'd be into that thing. Especially since it was originally a six issue pitch.

Love Batman: Year One but I'm going with Morrison.

yes it's why it continues to be one of dc's best sellers, year after year

Frank Miller > Grant Morrison

YO I would put ahead of TDKR but they are both great shit

Morrison's Action Comics was so terrible it helped lead to Nu52 Clark's death/dr powering/retconing-as-a-fake (not helped by Geoff Johns making SupesXWondy and Pak's Buzzhead motorcycle) but Morrison's was the first that pissed off the NOT MUH fans like Linkara an drive away Superman fans. Having Superman be a golden age bully and having the 5th dimension responsible for Ma and Pa's death was stupid (seriously, no one cares about the 5th dimension)

>B-B-B-B-But it was ironically edgy/shitty!!! It was a metaphor!!!!

It was terrible.

Linkara is retarded and post crisis Superfags are literal autists, so that made it objectively good.

It also has a bad rep among casuals, who keep bitching about how it's overrated. Just look at how many people are bitching in this thread.

It's not amazing, but it's good.
You should never value the opinions of literal autists like Linkara.

Morrison is good at pissing off fans by completly changing characterizations. But Morrisonfags eat that shit up and call it "definitive"

All-Star wins it for Morrison by itself.

>pissed off the NOT MUH fans
good, not muh fags can die

Whats so special about Year One?

Its literally just another Batman story. It doesnt do ANYTHING special.

It's a really good Batman story though.

It's not special now, but back then it was.

why?

yeah, I know it's a bit late to expect you to answer my post, user, but why do you hate linkara?

have you ever read any stories from "back then"?

this is why you don't predend Morrison isn't shit
now with an army of his retarded fans it's too late

Morrison's Batman is better than either of these.

Seinfeld Effect

well meme'd, """contrarian"""!

Miller, but only because of Rags Morales

They're both otherwise excellent, though

TDKR looked really nice but the story was okay

Strikes Again was kinda crap

TDKSA and ASBAR are the only patrician capecomics.

you forgot a pair of quotes

>edgelord
Fuck no. A lot of his stories are hopeful and have a nice message. Hell even his Superman on TDKR tries to not hurt Bruce and gets angry when he dies. Even in year one the message is that men with courage and morals can change the city.

Go read Big Guy and Rusty Boy.

In TDKSB Batman needs the help of others if he wants to stop Lex (GL, Plastic Man, Flash and even Superman)

Not them, but he's literally incapable of critical analysis. He thinks critique is recapitulation with asides of "A-BUH-WHAAAAA?!?" at any surface level elements he doesn't immediately understand, finds silly, or gets offended by. He's so fucking dense that he doesn't get why a suicidal woman would smile and cry when Superman empathizes with her.

>He's so fucking dense that he doesn't get why a suicidal woman would smile and cry when Superman empathizes with her.
I think he might have the tendencies of a sociopath.

love 'em all

Batman Year One is great, but TDKR is okay at best. Superman takes it here.

The only time I'd say Batman did a concept better is Earth-One. Batman Earth-One is so much better than Superman Earth-One it's not even funny.

What does this have to do with the quality of writing?

>TDKR is ok at best
fite me

>The only time I'd say Batman did a concept better is Earth-One. Batman Earth-One is so much better than Superman Earth-One it's not even funny.
Well that's because JMS is a hack and decided to write EO in a shitty "realistic" tone.

user, we have to oil up first.

Ah yes, the "Seinfield isn't funny" effect. Seinfield a popular TV show in the 90s was revolutionized the TV show sitcom formula forever. Every subsequent TV show since then has expanded and perfected the ideas brought forth by Seinfield. Thus, those who were first exposed as Seinfield was released would look back on the show with fondness, while those that have been exposed to the newer generations and then experiencing Seinfield would see Seinfield as boring or underwhelming. Much in the same way when the first iPhone came out, people were amazed as this touchscreen device, but if you were to show a child who owns the current iPhone, the first generation iPhone, they would be unimpressed.

I am pretending to do work at my job.

That effect applies to a lot of old Sci fi, the big ground breaking ideas brought up in the early days are so common in newer stuff in makes reading some of the old stuff underwhelming.

>Toning down every other character to make Bats look good. Not making him stand by his own merits.
Seriously? Is that even a question?

Year One was just as much about Gordon as it was Batman

TDKR had Joker finally getting the better of Batman

Joker doesn't counts. He has plot armor too. If there's someone who can beat Batman it's him.

The other user is talking about the other superheroes, not the villains. Like how Superman was portrayed like a government puppet in the wrong.

Superman. Morrison never got so fucking terrible as Miller's All Star Batman and Robin

Yeah, why did Grant choose Rags again?

I don't remember that from his Grounded review

this is like putting a little league baseball team up against the Denver Broncos defense and asking them to score a touchdown. Miller is a product of his time and an average writer at best. Morrison is in the top 5 writers in comic history

This would explain why I have never EVER laughed a single time at a Seinfeld episode.

I thought it was cus I'm not american.

i mean Mazz's art alone....

Morrison doesn't always pick winners, just look at his Batman run or parts of Multiversity

Yeah just look at the John Carter movie

The worst artist on MV was for the bookends and they were decent

Every book looked pretty great

Or hell, literally anything.

You could say the highest honor for ANY creation is to become so fundamental it seems basic.

The roots stay under ground but they hold the whole tree up

The Not Muh are the ones buying comics (well, the DC ones). Rebirth Superman is selling better than pre-rebirth Superman.

>Having Superman be a golden age bully
I wish all the people who's only understanding of Superman is from a list they got of some forum would fuck off forever and just let the people who actually put in the work to have a good understanding of the character enjoy it. If you had a problem with his characterization you just don't like the fucking character so piss off.

But his comic launched at lower numbers you tard.

In terms of influencing the way the character is written, no contest, Miller. He wrote only two four-issue runs, one of them out of continuity, and had everybody imitating them to this day.

All-Star Superman is great but its approach to Superman - basically, modernize the '50s Mort Weisinger Superman that British comic writers love so much - has never really become the established approach.

>has never really become the established approach

And now the characters in the shitter constantly needing pick me ups to keep chugging along. It's pretty clear the post- crisis farmboy iteration of Superman has grown long in the tooth and as a result the character has faded considerably. A more silver age approach to Snyder Superman probably would have gone a long way to saving that version.

worst meme

Year One>>>Morrison Action Comic

All Star Superman>>>The Dark Knight Returns