What's the oldest church in your vicinity, anons?

what's the oldest church in your vicinity, anons?

pic related, situated a couple of kilometers from where I work, built in 1212

St Martin's church
597 AD

damn would love to raid that shit

Less than 1 km away
late XII century

Kilmacduagh monastery, early 600s

From ~1790
Built by Revolutionary War vet :^)

There's a lot of "First Baptist's Church" but I don't know which one actually came first.

Construction started in 1230's.

Looks ripe for a few molotov cocktails in the middle of the night

It was a roman temple (3th century) but reused as a church.

Closest one is an ugly piece of shit from late 70s.
One from the 1910s a couple km away
20km away is a wooden church built mid-1600s

*3rd

>all these historylets

Hermano

558 AD

TOP KEK

noice

It began construction at some point in the 1100s on top of a burned down pagan temple. But it kept burning down due to lightning and it was rebuilt for the last time in 1240.
It's not much to look at.

Originally 11th century, expanded in the 19th century.

>kept burning down due to lightning
That should have told you something

This thing was built in 1220, though it took them about 3 centuries to finish it.

Check my flag.
My city was created in 1877...

This picture was from the first church in the middle of the city, later it was destroyed and a late Gothic cathedral was build there.

It was originally meant to be a big cathedral. Eventually they got fed up with trying to rebuild it and settled for a tiny church, and began constructing the cathedral at another spot. Here it is today.

Same place, but some decades later.

Same place, now.

I hate what modernists have done with out historical buildings.

St. Peter catholic church built by the dutch in 1710.

Bishop Erlendur (1269–1308) started construction in about the year 1300. However, the building was never completed, because it was never roofed. The cathedral remains in an unfinished state to this day.

Behind those ruins is the oldest church actually, Ólavskirkjan, from 1100.

The Lutheran church did not change a bit since when it was build (1922). Pretty good acoustic.

Danes I swear

An 500 old stone church on a hill.

Built between approximately 1610 and 1626

Pretty Spanish, if you ask me.
Texas/New Mexico?

When Spain sent its missionaries, they were not sending their best. They were not sending you. They were not sending you. They were sending people that had lots of problems, and they were bringing those problems with us. They were bringing Spanish. They were bringing Catholicism. They were rapists. And some, I assume, were good people.

you have never been to Spain then

Those adobe constructions are pretty popular in north africa and south spain. And given the date (1610) i can assume that they still hold some Moorish traditions in buildings.
Sure Spain is most know for it's tropical forts and vault roofs, but adobe buildings was really common back them.

Also, those are "Misión" in my state (the south was Spanish for quite some time).

This is the oldest found church in Sweden so far. A little more than a thousand years old

Wood don't last forever...

1500 years old, major centre of early Catholicism destroyed by the English in the 16th and 17th century.
It's all ruins but the local people continued to bury their dead even within the ruins to the point that the "floor" of the ruins are gravestones all the way down.

This Baptist church was established in 1979 but was rebuilt in the 2000s. There is no building in this country older than 30 years.

>Those adobe constructions are pretty popular in north africa and south spain

mmh wut

Lund Catherdal 12th century

This one, built in 1100s and had some stuff added over the course of hundreds of years. So there are some weird doors that lead nowhere and stuff like that.

Looks like I forgot pic.

Église Saint-Pierre-Aux-Nonnains, Metz. Built in 380 AD.

9th century wall-paintings in Saint-Germain d'Auxerre. It was one of the largest churches in Europe from the 6th to the 13th century

how is that popular?

Saint Peter's and Paul's rotunda in the Plzeň region
First mention is from 976

also, where does it say its made of adobe?

>old buildinglets

Hum, before the Counter-Reformation, all churches where painted and adorned with bright colors inside. Your picture show how most of them would look (except that the colors where washed away).
Nigga, do you know that adobe is a Spanish word?
>This was borrowed into Arabic as al-tub (الطّوب al "the" + tub "brick") "[mud] brick," which was assimilated into Old Spanish as adobe [aˈdobe], still with the meaning "mud brick." English borrowed the word from Spanish in the early 18th century.

BASED Zeus

Considering you said this pic looked pretty spanish it was like you were talking about mud huts. When that's not very spanish at all.

Local church only precedes from 30 years the first crusade
Don't have any pics

>When that's not very spanish at all.
Not anymore because there is better (and more durable) materials.
Imagine that back in time, you coul'd not fire bricks because the hight limestone in the mud, then they just use sun dried bricks and every 2 years they apply more mud to the building to prevent the water to wash away.

Also, fun fact.
The Mosque of Djenne (in Mali) was build by a Spanish moor architect for quite big sum of gold. Unfortunately, some niggers keep removing info about the architect from wikipedia and i can't find his name.

Back in time when? I live in the north anyway and those kind of houses would last for a week and for a good reason we use granite. Saying that building looks very spanish is plain stupid.

Abu Es Haq es Saheli
Found his name.
To this day, niggers still are butt mad because a white man build their most precious example of black architecture...

is that an mithraum?

They give me a date (1610). At that period, mud was still used in constructions where you can't get the right type of material.
You couldn't simple order a 6 thousands fired bricks to be delivered by truck in the next 3 days. All transportation was made by animal powered vehicles or small boats.

What date? Spain exist since the 16th century and not all of Spain is some area that used adobe. Calling some type of construction pretty spanisj doesn't make any sense or saying it was popular when it might be in some region because honestly, I never saw in my life a building made of adobe like the one from America. And makes more sense they used the local techniques and materials. If anything looks like the houses made by puebloans.

right across the street where i live there's pic rel. 19th century lutheran. it's also the place where i was baptized. a bit further away in the old town there's one built in 13th century, but that's like a km away

You're mixing it up with the Timbuktu mosque

Of course you did not saw adobe buildings outside tourist traps or UNESCO sites.
Who wants to live in a mud house in a modern age? Soon that transportation became cheap, people started to use bricks, and when concrete was popularized, well, everyone started to use it.

Just as an example.
In iceland people used turf and stones to build their houses. They needed to used it because most of their forests had being eradicated and the island was too "new" to have limestone deposits (no cement for you, m8). And mud bricks would crack when it freezes outside.
Now days, no one live in those types of houses (some crazy nuts actually do) because wood started to be imported along with bricks and cement for very cheap.

About 1119 or so first mentioned in documents, was built to replace a karolingian basilica that supposedly was built there on a pagan source/spring (as in water) sacred place.
Can't really date it due to lack of finds though. Fuckers probably built it out of wood or rather reused old stones for the new building since the older one supposedly was very minimalistic.

Similar to how the dome of the rock and most older moswues were built by christian architects..or jews.

Same period, same style, some 300 km away.
But people still claim that they did not know who build the mosque of Djenné...

this photo is from two minutes ago, through my attic window

this church was apparently first built in 1293 but was rebuilt since then

Even the oldest church in Germany...
Was first build in 706, the old, smaller church was in the early 11th century integrated in pic related.

t. builds byzantine style until today and can't do shit himself

In our vicinity is a Greek Orthodox Church built in 2002

Neat.

Please, tell me that it's not build with compensated wood or drywall...

It was actually a mosque in Timbuktu, not Djenne

This apparently.
Finished in 1784, first church in that spot was in 1630.

>tfw when the city you live in wasn't even founded until 1850

It's named after a Biblical place so I'd imagine a church was one of the first buildings though.

Pretty cool to see the distinct styles between countries desu

Also I noticed someone photoshopped a Dutch flag on it, but badly, kek

Can't find a better pic of the church though

only from 1100s
current building is a few centuries older

Catedral de San Cristóbal

little shit church from the 1300s

Forgot pic

1520–1553

>this thread

There was a church here in 1339, but the main structure is from the 1400s.

Mikaelinkirkko
Helsinki, Finland

When will you finish the roof?

I'm visiting relatives atm but back home:
>Stavrovouni, one of the oldest monasteries in the world monastery
>built in 327-329 AD by Constantine the Great's mother
>holds a piece of the cross

You do realize adobe was also being used in Mexico long before Spanish conquest

Yes, i do. But never saw a building taller than 2 meters.

Adobe was used in every place that did not froze (where the people where not savages spreading shit over their faces to keep the sun god happy). It was the cheapest way to build something.

558 AD? Impossible, at least at current aspect

probably rebuilt several times

I live near the oldest church in the country so it's almost cheating but here you go.
St. Francis church, finished in 1595. Restored quite often, sadly